Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't necessarily mean in this thread, just in general, has anyone come across folks who hold Troy Denning up as one of the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pubic works project posted:

Not me. I prefer Stover, Luceno, and Zahn. Oh and Stackpole!

Not Allston? S M D H.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I used to think Denning was great. At that point I'd only read his NJO entries, and was young enough to think that they were gritty and mature.

Then I grew up, tried to read his other stuff and realised the truth.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Not Allston? S M D H.

Did he write Wraith Squadron? Yeah he's okay.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't necessarily mean in this thread, just in general, has anyone come across folks who hold Troy Denning up as one of the best?
At the time a lot of people defended Star by Star. I Don't know why. It's the worst book in the NJO, an overly long, overly depressing, slog.

Also there seem to be idiots on TFN who liked the direction the EU was goibg towards the end. The direction almost entirely dictated by Denning. There was that thread were they debated whether Tahiri raped Ben in the most sensitive way they knew how.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Star Wars Legacy > NJO

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know if I know anyone who loves Denning but I do know there are people who love Star by Star and Tatooine Ghost. Also even near the end on TFN the rate and review threads for his books would still be in the 7-8/10 range, but then again that is a site where the ability to be critical about things is pretty difficult to grasp.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tatooine Ghost is pretty good. It's hard to reconcile it with his other works in terms of quality.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It takes place right before the Thrawn Trilogy so I've always sort of thought it rode on its coattails a bit. It's also weird in that it was the first EU book to start acknowledging stuff from the prequels that wasn't specifically tied to them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

It takes place right before the Thrawn Trilogy so I've always sort of thought it rode on its coattails a bit. It's also weird in that it was the first EU book to start acknowledging stuff from the prequels that wasn't specifically tied to them.

It's also an example for people who think EU coordination only started after Marvel and Disney took over, given that Tatooine Ghost gets directly referenced and kind of resolved at the end of Unifying Force which came out a few months later.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Add my name on the Agreeing with Lord Hydronium's NJO opinion list and the Goddamn Denning list.

Star by Star is a bit like early Traviss; okay within its context but already showing the portents of disaster.

It's interesting to think about the publishings eras' evolving ups and downs.

Proto-EU: hilariously wacky and creative stuff, but complete lack of coordination and frequently just plain weird or horribly dated;

Early EU: most memorable and enduring elements, but redundancy problem and occasional big missteps;

Old Republic: oscillates between totally out there and OT/PT knockoff;

NJO: ambitious, original and coordinated but creaking at the seams from the sheer size, along with some questionable overall choices;

Prequels: some pretty good setups having to conform to a wildly changing media landscape;

Post-NJO: ...Allston makes some good jokes?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I just read Bloodline (Not as good as Lost Stars, better than most of the old EU), and it got me thinking. Other than Tattooine Ghost, was there ever much in the old EU focusing mainly on Leia? I couldn't think of much off the top of my head.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Truce at Bakura has her flip off Vader's ghost

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

cptn_dr posted:

I just read Bloodline (Not as good as Lost Stars, better than most of the old EU), and it got me thinking. Other than Tattooine Ghost, was there ever much in the old EU focusing mainly on Leia? I couldn't think of much off the top of my head.

There was The Courtship of Princess Leia but honestly the less said about that the better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Nest made a big deal about how Leia was going to complete her training and start being a full-time Jedi but I don't think anything ever really came of it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There was The Courtship of Princess Leia but honestly the less said about that the better.

Dammit, I was going to make this exact post.

Yeah, Leia didn't get the focus all that often. There was some stuff with her and the Senate in The New Rebellion, I think, but not much. Bloodline was a refreshing change of pace.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, Leia is variously president of the New Republic or Mon Mothma's vice-president for a pretty decent-sized chunk of the post-ROTJ EU up to NJO. When you've got that constraint, I imagine it's hard to write stories where she goes off with Han, Luke, Chewie, Lando et al. on space adventures. The New Republic secret service would have fits, for one thing.

I imagine it's also why the New Republic ended up getting pretty rubbish pretty fast; writers needed to create some conflict for Leia to deal with while Luke was taking care of Jedi business and Han was getting into blaster fights in seedy underworld cantinas, so you ended up with the New Republic senate being either hopelessly corrupt or constantly trying to undermine Leia's position.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Maybe the Black Fleet Crisis? It's one of the only times we see her as an actual chief of state.

Edit; Bloodlines is probably the best book written about Leia, in old canon or new.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 3, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

VaultAggie posted:

Maybe the Black Fleet Crisis? It's one of the only times we see her as an actual chief of state.

Is that the one where they bomb the Senate? I thought that was The New Rebellion, which is why I mentioned it above, but I may be getting my lovely old EU books confused.

VaultAggie posted:

Edit; Bloodlines is probably the best book written about Leia, in old canon or new.

Well that's easily true.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New Rebellion is the one where they bomb the senate. Black Fleet is the one with the Yevetha.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Not solely Leia but Millennium Falcon is at least half Leia, Han, and their granddaughter investigating the history of the Falcon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dark Nest made a big deal about how Leia was going to complete her training and start being a full-time Jedi but I don't think anything ever really came of it.
Up until that point she'd always been a politician. Afterwards she was at least counted as a Jedi in her own right. Of course it was sloppy as hell that in LOTF when she's in her 60s she's suddenly considered a master after years of neglecting that aspect of her character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's one thing that really disappointed me when I got into the novels. I'd only read the Essential Guide to Characters which mentions fairly obliquely how Leia started learning how to use the Force and I assumed she would then be Luke's first apprentice, but when I actually began reading the novels a few years after that, I thought it was a bit rubbish that she never really had all that much to do with the Jedi. Disappointed me a bit when I was younger.

Off the top of my head, the only times she ever has a lightsabre duel are in Planet of Twilight where she fights that Hutt (!) Jedi, and I think she briefly crosses swords with Kueller in The New Rebellion? Not too sure about the last one.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I can understand why Leia never went in for sword fighting, but why did she never try to learn about the Force to any great extent? Pre-cognition, intuition, and the ability to sense the emotional state of others sounds like a cheat code for any politician.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I keep picturing a cardboard box witb LEIA JEDI STUFF emblazened on the side in marker pen filled with a lightsaber and a few other random odds and ends for some reason.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

I keep picturing a cardboard box witb LEIA JEDI STUFF emblazened on the side in marker pen filled with a lightsaber and a few other random odds and ends for some reason.

There's a similar one for Chewie that just has nothing in it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remember that time Chewie and his creepy son rescued Han from the Space Nazis? No the other Space Nazis.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Casimir Radon posted:

Remember that time Chewie and his creepy son rescued Han from the Space Nazis? No the other Space Nazis.

The Principality of Zeon?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Principality of Zeon?

The Titans?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Any Jedi wookies out there? Seems like they could just forgoe the lightsaber stuff and start ripping arms off...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Canemacar posted:

Any Jedi wookies out there? Seems like they could just forgoe the lightsaber stuff and start ripping arms off...

Lowbacca

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Gungi. He looks scary.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Those embossed chromed Young Jedi Knights covers were the coolest goddamn thing when I was 8.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Would you gently caress me? I'd gently caress me. I'd gently caress me so hard.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

On another subject entirely, apparently Barnes and Noble are going to be giving away two posters with the release of the third Aftermath novel.

and

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
So, like, Sigourney Weaver and ... ?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Would you gently caress me? I'd gently caress me. I'd gently caress me so hard.
And there will be bugs involved! In the loving!

Some time around the Dark Nest trilogy Lucas said no more Wookie Jedi. So Lowie got banished to some planet for a while. They might have brought him back in LOTF, it kind of seems like they did. I'm starting to forget minor details of that series so that's a positive development.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Sloane rocks. Her chapters were the best part of the second aftermath book. I can't wait for Gallius rex to get his poo poo wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cptn_dr posted:

On another subject entirely, apparently Barnes and Noble are going to be giving away two posters with the release of the third Aftermath novel.

and

Disney does realize that the Empire uses more than just Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers, right?