Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FAUXTON posted:

So they entered the market by running a contest where people could send pics of their boobs for a preorder invite.

This gets touted a lot, but it's not accurate. The contest was terribly sexist, and a really stupid idea, but not only was it not about sending boob pics, it specifically requested no nudity. The truth of the contest is cringey enough.

The worse contest OnePlus did was when they told people to send videos of them smashing their phones in order to get a OPO for a dollar, but didn't make it clear that people needed to be selected for the contest before smashing their phones.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The best contest OnePlus did was when they told people to send videos of them smashing their phones in order to get a OPO for a dollar, but didn't make it clear that people needed to be selected for the contest before smashing their phones.

Fixed that for you

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This gets touted a lot, but it's not accurate. The contest was terribly sexist, and a really stupid idea, but not only was it not about sending boob pics, it specifically requested no nudity. The truth of the contest is cringey enough.

Did they even get 50 entries?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

They also produced usb type c cables that could potentially destroy everything that wasn't an OP charger or phone by drawing too much power.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sereri posted:

They also produced usb type c cables that could potentially destroy everything that wasn't an OP charger or phone by drawing too much power.

Yeah but who hasn't at this point?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RZA Encryption posted:

Did they even get 50 entries?

If they did, I suspect they were mostly from angry women.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but who hasn't at this point?

That happened because everyone else copied OP's lovely design.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Nothing they do comes off as having any consideration about a long-term culture of product quality, just "pay us another $400 next year."

Exactly this.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

My LG G4 looks like it died the same way as the first. Randomly turned off and now won't get past the boot screen. Anyways it is past the year warranty now but should be covered by my AMEX card still so I'll should get 500 or 600 toward a new phone. What is good now, I think I'll stick in the 5.5 inch size. The Axon 7 that was mentioned last page seems good, that the best out?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

RIP Account posted:

My LG G4 looks like it died the same way as the first. Randomly turned off and now won't get past the boot screen. Anyways it is past the year warranty now but should be covered by my AMEX card still so I'll should get 500 or 600 toward a new phone. What is good now, I think I'll stick in the 5.5 inch size. The Axon 7 that was mentioned last page seems good, that the best out?

I moved from the LG G4 to the Pixel XL without a single regret, other than double tap to sleep.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You should be thinking Pixel XL.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pixel XL, for Xtremely Likely to be your next phone.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Cool, also looks extremely sold out. I'll check with local Verizon and Best Buy stores tomorrow. This galaxy nexus I'm using now is starting to show its age.

I should see if my G1 still works

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RIP Account posted:

Cool, also looks extremely sold out. I'll check with local Verizon and Best Buy stores tomorrow. This galaxy nexus I'm using now is starting to show its age.

I should see if my G1 still works

The 32GB Really Blue one is in stock which it turns out is the best color.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

LastInLine posted:

The 32GB Really Blue one is in stock which it turns out is the best color.

How do you deal with the white bezels when watching something aaaaaaaa :spergin:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The early OnePlus ad campaigns were lovely, but those were years ago and they have great phones now for the price :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

D

Y

P

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The early OnePlus ad campaigns were lovely, but those were years ago and they have great phones now for the price :colbert:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, the 3t and Android wear do not play well together AT ALL.

The 3t has a 3-way physical notification switch. "silent" "do not disturb" and "ring"
BOTH "silent" and "do not disturb" mode enforces DND

The ONLY way to silence notification sounds is by setting the switch to "silent" or "do not disturb" You cannot reduce the notification volume to 0 while on "ring"

Thus, you can't have your phone silent AND have your watch buzz to notify you.

Trying to disable DND mode on the watch immediately forces it back on, because the phone is constantly requesting it.

I'm about to return this piece of poo poo.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Updating to the beta (http://downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-3t/oneplus_3t_oxygenos_openbeta_2/) seems to have fixed it.

Now to see if I get some horrible other bug, or the infamous wifi bug people have been talking about.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh boy the stable version on nouget just came out for the OP3T.

I'm so excited I get to adb side load the non-beta version just hours after going to the beta to fix a critical bug and redo my entire phone's setup
Sounds great

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

But all my problems have been solved.:confused:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hey guys this company I bought my phone from keeps releasing devices with lots of terrible issues. They eventually fix 25% of them if you install beta software and then go release a new device with a bunch of more horrible issues to start the cycle over again. A+++ would buy again.

Also, there's better phones for the same price or you could realize how much you use your phone and spend the minuscule amount extra (when spread over the amount you use the thing) for a great phone like the Pixel. But you shouldn't pay attention to this information, you should buy this great and wonderful phone I've wasted my money on...it's going to be yuuuuge!

Also, my phone has got terrible touch lag, but it only costs 100% of the same price of better phones so that more than makes up for the laggy screen.

Nitrousoxide, the Trump of IYG.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How do you deal with the white bezels when watching something aaaaaaaa :spergin:

Why would I watch video on a phone? I own a computer AND a TV.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I bought an AXON 7 yesterday after some more research. Unlocked bootloader and rooted that night. So far it's pretty goddamn sexy. This screen. These speakers.

ZTE even put a little basic clear bumper case in it so you won't scratch it while you wait for a good case from Amazon.

So far the only weird thing is that the power button is below the volume rocker, and I prefer the on screen nav buttons.

I'm a little sad I couldn't buy a pixel, but I think everyone is. Im friends with a guy at my local cellphone repair shop and they just got approved as a pixel repair place or something and he showed me the various bits that go into it. That screen is thinner that my loving credit card.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Yeah. I mean, I realize maybe I'm just dating myself and younger people do this all the time, but as an official old person I can't stand watching video on a phone for anything more than few-minute long video clips.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. I mean, I realize maybe I'm just dating myself and younger people do this all the time, but as an official old person I can't stand watching video on a phone for anything more than few-minute long video clips.

maybe you should take your arthritis medicine beforehand

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Because you're not always in front of your computer or TV?

I know Watch Later exists, but this is stupidly disingenuous.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Anybody on the 7.1.2 beta had any bluetooth issues yet? My pixel has been 100% since the update, so maybe its consistently fixed now.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

I bought an AXON 7 yesterday after some more research. Unlocked bootloader and rooted that night. So far it's pretty goddamn sexy. This screen. These speakers.

ZTE even put a little basic clear bumper case in it so you won't scratch it while you wait for a good case from Amazon.

So far the only weird thing is that the power button is below the volume rocker, and I prefer the on screen nav buttons.

Yeah I'm really impressed with this phone. The screen and audio are fantastic. Plus we're getting N in a couple of weeks, and there's already some exciting ROMs (especially Lineage that ZTE are actually helping the developer with! Nice to have options).

I had a stupid SD card question on the off chance: I tried an app (USB Audio Player) and the second I launched it my SD card disappeared. In Windows I can see it, can access the files, and copy them, but can't delete them. When I use Chkdsk I get this:

http://imgur.com/a/WgQGO

It's just so weird. What the hell happened? It's supposedly fine but I can't format or repair it. It's like it's got file protection on but obviously it doesn't have a switch. It's probably borked but would be nice if someone could tell me what the heck happened.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
What new phones are going to be coming out this year? Do you guys think there will be any phones with 6+ inch screens?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Because you're not always in front of your computer or TV?

I know Watch Later exists, but this is stupidly disingenuous.

I've never had it come up in seven years of smartphone ownership, I'm not too concerned about it happening any time soon. Also, I'm literally never not in front of a computer if I'm awake and have my phone.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What new phones are going to be coming out this year? Do you guys think there will be any phones with 6+ inch screens?

The Note 8.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just got a moto Z Force. It seems to be draining battery more than it should, to the point where it's almost worse than my old phone. Any tips? It's the latest Android.
Any good battery apps I can try to at least locate the source? The built in battery manager on this one claims the worst offenders are the Android o/s (which has a bunch of processes listed and... Voice-mail? loving voice-mail somehow is 15% of my charge despite using it for like 5 minutes the other day.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Huawei Mate 9 is 5.9" and about the same size as a 7+/XL.

The only one that might be bigger is that goofy 18:9 aspect ratio one from LG.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Just got a moto Z Force. It seems to be draining battery more than it should, to the point where it's almost worse than my old phone. Any tips? It's the latest Android.
Any good battery apps I can try to at least locate the source? The built in battery manager on this one claims the worst offenders are the Android o/s (which has a bunch of processes listed and... Voice-mail? loving voice-mail somehow is 15% of my charge despite using it for like 5 minutes the other day.

If you just got the device in the last day or two, it will get better on its own. As for the voicemail, is this your carrier voicemail app?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Get a Pixel XL 2

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

LastInLine posted:

If you just got the device in the last day or two, it will get better on its own. As for the voicemail, is this your carrier voicemail app?

Device is about a week old and I think it's the Verizon voice-mail app.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Get a Pixel XL 2

Bezel on that thing gonna support aircraft landing and takeoff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

We have no idea. And the large bezel stopped being something I even noticed/cared about after like 2 days, and I actually don't mind haven't a big spot at the bottom I can grab/hold without touching the screen.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

Avoid traffic, fly to work!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have no idea. And the large bezel stopped being something I even noticed/cared about after like 2 days, and I actually don't mind haven't a big spot at the bottom I can grab/hold without touching the screen.

Are you one of those people that can palm a basketball?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mister Macys posted:

Are you one of those people that can palm a basketball?
I can't palm a basketball and it's not an issue for me either. Could they be smaller? Of course. But it's not a deal breaker by any stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think I'd mind a thinner top bezel but yeah the bottom bezel is great. No more having the ball of my thumb pressing the overview button like it did constantly on my Nexus 5. I imagine the problem was only exacerbated on the Nexus 6 since that had almost no bottom bezel.

Ineffiable posted:

Device is about a week old and I think it's the Verizon voice-mail app.

I'm assuming you've tried restarting the device and seeing if the voicemail app acts up? Does it show up in the overview and if so have you tried swiping it away? I guess worse comes to worst you can use Google Voice for your voicemail (honestly probably a better idea anyway).

The battery in that phone is 3500mAh, you shouldn't be having trouble getting through a day.