Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

You guys are making me want to pro after I just got back from spending $600 on a suit for a wedding :(

you'll have that suit for a decade just imagine its 5 dollars a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not custom. I just figured if I was gonna have to spend the money I might as wellget something that looks nice. The last custom suit I had to buy for a wedding looks like a goddamn Steve Harvey suit and I want to burn it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i bought a tux for my wedding that i have worn like 3 times in 6 years. i've had to rent tuxes more often than i've gotten to wear mine but it looks so good so i don't care.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My rented wedding tux was so oversized the photos are laughable now but I hope that was because everyone hadn't quite started dressing like Don Draper yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah, update is dope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. It's the first suit I've ever owned that I actually liked so no regrets. Maybe I'll start going to church even though I don't believe in god so I have an excuse to wear it sometimes.

anyways this movie looks interesting. Hmmmmm....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4547056/

quote:

In the future, a strange fungus has changed nearly everyone into a thoughtless, flesh-eating monster. When a scientist and a teacher find a girl who seems to be immune to the fungus, they all begin a journey to save humanity.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wait is the update released or you can just download the beta and install it? (Via USB I'm guessing?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wait is the update released or you can just download the beta and install it? (Via USB I'm guessing?)

You need a code, which you had a chance of getting by signing up ages ago.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Short Witcher 3 clip with boost mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBPk_uGTnXY

also an Until Dawn clip with boost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qxTERAn8I&t=64s

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh yeah they sent an email out that I posted actually lol whoops

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Countdown to Kaz twitter joke about name changes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Whatever happened to that Slain? I remember it getting a lot of hype and then...nothing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Whatever happened to that Slain? I remember it getting a lot of hype and then...nothing.

It came out, was bad, they released a enhanced version later which was better, but it still looks bad.

I was considering picking up a new game, figured either RE7 or Yakuza 0 looked interesting, but ended up just starting a new character in Bloodborne. Guess that's what happens when the game of decade is released halfway into it.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 4, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, that's boring. I thought it would have at least gotten swallowed by some sort of controversy. :saddowns:

Bit of a shame though, was going to take a punt on it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ghost Recon is considerably less fun by yourself/with pubbies. :/

Fuckin beautiful through with hdr light going through the tree canopy etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is the first compelling argument I've seen to upgrade to a pro, but I don't have a TV and just hook my PS4 up to my computer monitor so the 4k thing really doesn't really mean anything for me. still kind of hard to justify.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I got a key and I think some of us are playing later. Goddamn beta is 24 gigs though so it might be a few hours.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Digirat posted:

This is the first compelling argument I've seen to upgrade to a pro, but I don't have a TV and just hook my PS4 up to my computer monitor so the 4k thing really doesn't really mean anything for me. still kind of hard to justify.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

veni veni veni posted:

I got a key and I think some of us are playing later. Goddamn beta is 24 gigs though so it might be a few hours.

I basically finished up all there is to do but I'd love to tag along and help y'all shoot mans.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I basically finished up all there is to do but I'd love to tag along and help y'all shoot mans.

Thanks man :cool: I appreciate it. I'll shoot you an invite if I see you on once it's ready.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I've been lucky with pubbies today. Lots of cooperative gents.

Good, satisfying moments landing a chopper, getting into position, using your drone to mark enemies, tagging them, then manually trying to time your shots and just watching 4 dudes drop to headshots. Good times.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Feenix posted:

I've been lucky with pubbies today. Lots of cooperative gents.

Good, satisfying moments landing a chopper, getting into position, using your drone to mark enemies, tagging them, then manually trying to time your shots and just watching 4 dudes drop to headshots. Good times.

I just got kicked for getting tired of a never ending Unidad battle where everyone but me kept dying.

I think that's it for me today.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I just got kicked for getting tired of a never ending Unidad battle where everyone but me kept dying.

I think that's it for me today.

Yeah. I mean I can see how it's possible to have a bad time... just had a good run today. And yeah, I think the Unidad just keep showing up unless you beat a hasty retreat.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

g-c posted:

Short Witcher 3 clip with boost mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBPk_uGTnXY

I wish I had known to sign up for the beta. It looks great! I'm excited for the performance boost in games that weren't patched.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 4, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yowza, i could really go for some extra frames. does gamestop still offer a trade in special for the ps4 towards a pro?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
For us lamers that didn't get in on the beta...

...when are we expecting to see this hit an official release? I want Pro upgradessssss

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

I wish I had known to sign up for the beta. It looks great! I'm excited for the performance boost in games that weren't patched.

We're still accepting sign-ups, but obviously the pool is going to be a hell of a lot bigger now that people found out about Boost Mode.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

89 posted:

For us lamers that didn't get in on the beta...

...when are we expecting to see this hit an official release? I want Pro upgradessssss

Usually a month.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SamBishop posted:

We're still accepting sign-ups, but obviously the pool is going to be a hell of a lot bigger now that people found out about Boost Mode.

I signed up (every time) and didn't get in. Can you pull some strings?

*slips you a 20*

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

SamBishop posted:

Is that through this link? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/playstation-4-firmware-45-beta-registration/

Good to know that codes will still be going out. Thank you.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Firmware betas often have two or three phases; so if you didn't get in this time you might be allowed in during the next phase.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So why did Cerny spend so much time talking about how games would need to be patched to use the Pro anyway? Just to hear himself talk?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Some interesting things I ran into while attempting to combine two PS4 libraries onto a single external drive.

As I mentioned before, the same external will work on multiple PS4's, they aren't console-locked.

However, the PS4 mandates that only one install of a specific item be present. If the same product is found installed on both the external and internal, you get a pop-up list of every duplicate and then get asked if you'd rather delete the copies on the external or the internal, although this delete function doesn't seem to actually work so the only solution I found was to manually delete the internal items and then re-plug the external drive.

Also once a drive has been plugged in, everything on it gets dumped into the XMB and doesn't get removed when the drive is unplugged, instead a triangle exclamation mark shows up on the item and it'll refuse to launch without the external; if something happened to the external, it requires that you delete and reinstall (redownload if necessary). So it's a bit fucky as a solution for bringing games to friends' houses, but it does work, you might just want to use a smaller drive for things you'll use on multiple PS4's.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So why did Cerny spend so much time talking about how games would need to be patched to use the Pro anyway? Just to hear himself talk?

The "overclock" doesn't fix everything, and it doesn't increase the resolutions of any games or remove hard frame rate caps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Because they wanted to pre-establish an excuse in case they couldn't make it work so they didn't have people complaining they were tricked into buying a system that couldn't do what they claimed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Because they wanted to pre-establish an excuse in case they couldn't make it work so they didn't have people complaining they were tricked into buying a system that couldn't do what they claimed.
It wouldn't have been enough just to say that for now using the higher output might destabilize games so its disabled, but they're looking into maybe doing it later?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samurai Sanders posted:

It wouldn't have been enough just to say that for now using the higher output might destabilize games so its disabled, but they're looking into maybe doing it later?

suggesting that something might be possible is a quick ticket to people calling you a liar and getting mad as gently caress online

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

suggesting that something might be possible is a quick ticket to people calling you a liar and getting mad as gently caress online
I guess you're right about that. Still though, it's odd that the alternative he chose was just to lie.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I think it was more to put developers at ease, saying their existing games weren't going to require extra QA or bug fixes. Or maybe even answering from a technical standpoint that they can cleanly step down because of the architecture and he was mildly bragging.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There is also apparently at least one game that crashes when you turn boost mode on, Soma I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is that through this link? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/playstation-4-firmware-45-beta-registration/

Good to know that codes will still be going out. Thank you.

Yep, that's the one (I actually made that page, funnily enough).

Montalvo posted:

Firmware betas often have two or three phases; so if you didn't get in this time you might be allowed in during the next phase.

Yep, exactly right. Depending on the complexity of the stuff in the update, there can be multiple phases (I don't think I've seen a beta update in recent memory that didn't get to at least Beta 3), and with something as compatibility-centric as this one, I'm sure there'll be at least that many phases.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It was likely an edict from up top that he had to parrot. Sony's always been incredibly wary of introducing compatibility updates. I still remember being told even weeks prior to the launch of the PS2 that they weren't planning on adding any enhancements to PSX games because it could cause problems (and, in the end, stuff like the fast loading would indeed gently caress up games that had FMVs as "backgrounds" with polys on top). With PS3, they were just as scared of bumping up the resolution on PS2 games.

It's always been an "err on the side of caution" approach to this stuff, but they must have scoured the library and seen that so few games were buggy that it was a non-issue - that or this beta is a good way of crowdsourcing those 700+ games. I'll have to ask around at work and see if I can get the scoop.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 4, 2017