Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Carcer posted:

You do see the connection between your colony being a spartan hell camp and all of these mental breaks, right?

also lol at all of your pawns having massive alcohol/smokeleaf tolerances.

I wonder if there's a mod where you can assign a couple pawns as therapists or commissars. I'm sure those peeps are depressed as gently caress all the time.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Slung Blade posted:

I wonder if there's a mod where you can assign a couple pawns as therapists or commissars. I'm sure those peeps are depressed as gently caress all the time.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

Perfect job for psychopaths...

(just like irl)

Yellow Jesus
Jul 18, 2003

Intense randy and The Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog is a fun combo! A 35 strong labrador manhunter pack just steamrolled through my base killing everyone since the thrumbo pack a few days before had taken out most of my turrets

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Okay I had 44 colonists. They weren't happy but they were all obedient.

I introduced them to social drugs which for a while kept them happy and obedient. Except the diseases just ravaged the whole place. liver, lung, cancers. Everyone was sick all the time.

So I decided to wane my whole colony off the drugs. I first waned them off beer because smokeleaf helps them cope with that.

Before drugs I had 44 obedient colonists.

I started waning 44 sick colonists.

After everyone was clean of alcohol dependence I had 28 colonists left.

I then treated everyone to get rid of all forms of cancer. After that I had 27 colonists.

I then started waning them off smokeleaf. When they were all clean I had 17 colonists left.

Drugs are bad.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Solved your overpopulation problems though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You could just use drugs as a mood safety net by scheduling them to only be used when mood hits a critical low point instead of being allowed at all times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

With a pretty base and efficient work priorities my colonists are pretty much always at max happiness. Half my base just got the plague though, but they'll be right.

I had 3 of the shooty cutty robots get into my base via drop pods. A random artist pawn I had given a sword to seemingly one-shot one of them. Not even downed, full on dead. Good work drug addict who refuses to do anything but make statues. A couple dogs died and there was a lot of blood and injured people not getting treated fast enough but out of all of it I only got a single bad mood warning and it only stayed up for about 5 seconds before someone came over and gave them a fine meal and administered some smokeleaf. Giving people in a lot of pain laying in a hospital bed surrounded by blood smokeleaf seems to really chill them out.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

OMG THE POLITICS OF MEDICAL SMOKELEAF IN RIMWORLD COLONIES IN MAH GAME

Rimworld: No Man's High

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Like giving ol' Pvt Johnny one last pull on a joint before his entrails spill out of his torso after he fell into a tiger trap in the Naam.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Efexeye posted:

Rimworld: No Man's High

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Baronjutter posted:

With a pretty base and efficient work priorities my colonists are pretty much always at max happiness. Half my base just got the plague though, but they'll be right.

I had 3 of the shooty cutty robots get into my base via drop pods. A random artist pawn I had given a sword to seemingly one-shot one of them. Not even downed, full on dead. Good work drug addict who refuses to do anything but make statues. A couple dogs died and there was a lot of blood and injured people not getting treated fast enough but out of all of it I only got a single bad mood warning and it only stayed up for about 5 seconds before someone came over and gave them a fine meal and administered some smokeleaf. Giving people in a lot of pain laying in a hospital bed surrounded by blood smokeleaf seems to really chill them out.

Can you share a picture of your base?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
After reading the colonists guide, I am having so much more fun playing now that I know what I'm doing. Previously, I didn't understand how zones and restrictions worked, as well as a bunch of other more complicated aspects of the game.

I am having success with this colony after 2 years and no cheating (but a little save-scumming). For the last year or so, I've had this infestation in the upper-right corner of my map (and a newer one in the lower-left), but I've been ignoring it because my colonists don't go up there, and I don't yet have explosions.

In the first screenshot, my entire colony/base is contained off screen to the south. Almost every raid has come from the west, gone north over the mountain then south down to my base. I have a choke point down there with traps and turrets and it's been going well.

I've had a lot of "friendlies" show up and try to help with the bug problem, but they all get wasted instantly. I thought, "hmm, why not build a couple of walls to force raiders that come from the west to go north-east, right into the fuckin bugs?! As you can see, it's working like a charm.

a close up

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

After reading the colonists guide, I am having so much more fun playing now that I know what I'm doing. Previously, I didn't understand how zones and restrictions worked, as well as a bunch of other more complicated aspects of the game.

I am having success with this colony after 2 years and no cheating (but a little save-scumming). For the last year or so, I've had this infestation in the upper-right corner of my map (and a newer one in the lower-left), but I've been ignoring it because my colonists don't go up there, and I don't yet have explosions.

In the first screenshot, my entire colony/base is contained off screen to the south. Almost every raid has come from the west, gone north over the mountain then south down to my base. I have a choke point down there with traps and turrets and it's been going well.

I've had a lot of "friendlies" show up and try to help with the bug problem, but they all get wasted instantly. I thought, "hmm, why not build a couple of walls to force raiders that come from the west to go north-east, right into the fuckin bugs?! As you can see, it's working like a charm.

a close up

Where is this colonist guide?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

a close up

Holy poo poo those bug nests. You sure know how to procrastinate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if they're outside of his base there's no reason for him to engage them. bugs are territorial, not aggressive.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's like 4000 silver worth of meat on those bugs!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Looks like good artillery practice to me :clint:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm NOT complaining, but even after strip mining half the map I haven't gotten a single infestation. I'm thinking some mod I have broke them?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

Over There posted:

Where is this colonist guide?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Yeah, like I said I haven't had explosives so I just kinda let them fester. They are VERY good at killing any hostile humans that wander near. Traders too though... luckily I got a comms console up early enough that I can just space trade.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd always just cook em. But yours seem to have dug them selves out into the outdoors so that might not work since you can't get in there a roof it over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Explosives aren't a super good anti bug weapon tbh. Fire works in enclosed spaces and otherwise you just want overwhelming gunnery.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I might deal with them eventually. It's funny though I get a ton of "roof collapsed" notices as they tear up the mountains. The 2nd infestation is almost as big as the first now.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Yeah, like I said I haven't had explosives so I just kinda let them fester. They are VERY good at killing any hostile humans that wander near. Traders too though... luckily I got a comms console up early enough that I can just space trade.

Oh I didn't realize that was what he was talking about :doh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think infestations would be much improved if they didn't just dig everything out and instead tried to dig out like some kind of pregenerated ant colony style tunnel network.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I think infestations would be much improved if they didn't just dig everything out and instead tried to dig out like some kind of pregenerated ant colony style tunnel network.

Yes, and if they didn't just randomly spawn but actually dug in from the sides of any map edge with mountain. So you'd accidentally mine into their tunnels, or them into yours.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The only good bug is a dead bug...

And mixed with corn to make kibble for my Huskies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Is there any way to assign uniforms such that you can say, e.g., you must have a Parka but everything else is free choice?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mister Adequate posted:

Is there any way to assign uniforms such that you can say, e.g., you must have a Parka but everything else is free choice?

Yeah just make a uniform where everything is checked except jackets and dusters (and Power Armor, if you're in a seriously cold biome).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah just make a uniform where everything is checked except jackets and dusters (and Power Armor, if you're in a seriously cold biome).

Ah I guess that works! Bit of a pain given the mods I've got which add clothing options, but I can deal with it. Thanks!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there no existing combat mod that just tightens up weapons a bit? The whole "combat realism" mod got bloated then the author drama'd out. I just want the weapons to have slightly more believable accuracy.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Is there no existing combat mod that just tightens up weapons a bit? The whole "combat realism" mod got bloated then the author drama'd out. I just want the weapons to have slightly more believable accuracy.

I've been looking too. I almost downloaded combat realism before I read the comments. Micro managing out the rear end.

Personally I'm all for ammo. And I wish colonists could carry grenades as side arms. But this all assumes that they restock themselves and I just need to keep the armory full.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish the game had somehow warned me that someone who doesn't like drugs and someone who does would inherently dislike each other. There are no drugs in the colony to crave or reject!

Christ, I just want normal, functioning people who don't get pissed at each other. Yet more traits to avoid when rerolling.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 4, 2017

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

MisterBibs posted:

Christ, I just want normal, functioning people

RimWorld doesn't seem like a game that puts up with that sort of nonsense. What's next, you're going to want them to haul wood and not puke all over the chess set?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I wish the game had somehow warned me that someone who doesn't like drugs and someone who does would inherently dislike each other. There are no drugs in the colony to crave or reject!

Christ, I just want normal, functioning people who don't get pissed at each other. Yet more traits to avoid when rerolling.

Get Prepare Carefully. It's really helpful to avoid spamming the re-roll button over and over. Even if you don't exactly specify everything about them, you can still roll randoms and selectively change the one 'critical flaw' about them like drug-loving or w/e.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I made a custom scenario where all my starter people are "kind" because why would I roll with people who ain't nice?

You could do the same and make everyone slaving sociopaths too!

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Baronjutter posted:

Dejawesp posted:

I've been looking too. I almost downloaded combat realism before I read the comments. Micro managing out the rear end.

Personally I'm all for ammo. And I wish colonists could carry grenades as side arms. But this all assumes that they restock themselves and I just need to keep the armory full.

Yeah the reality is that this game has a bunch of scary-looking guns shooting .22 caliber ammo, fired by... I don't know, people who have never seen guns handled before. But you're in luck, this game is easy af to mod, and 800 subscribers in six days has inspired me to expand the scope of my riot shield mod a little bit. Give it a couple weeks, but think big, swinging, Dirty Harry-style .44 magnums.

But, to keep it balanced, you might have to add aloha snackbar raids with AK-47s and 72 virgins vests.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Get Prepare Carefully. It's really helpful to avoid spamming the re-roll button over and over. Even if you don't exactly specify everything about them, you can still roll randoms and selectively change the one 'critical flaw' about them like drug-loving or w/e.

This is a cool mod with a garbo interface. Rimworld should be alot more like Oregon Trail, and Prepare Carefully does that - just in a way that could be a lot more fun.

Dejawesp posted:

I introduced them to social drugs which for a while kept them happy and obedient. Except the diseases just ravaged the whole place. liver, lung, cancers. Everyone was sick all the time.

So I decided to wane my whole colony off the drugs. I first waned them off beer because smokeleaf helps them cope with that.

How many years was it before the diseases set in?

OwlFancier posted:

Infestations are pretty OP. What would be a good nerf to them?

straw man fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I wish Tynan would frontload some of the difficulty of the game in combat or balance the game in way where traits and surgery weren't the most difficult parts of the experience. Right now my base is basically an impenetrable fortress but god help me if someone with the Pyromania trait goes nuts while everyone is sleeping. It'd be nice to reach a level where I can leave the game on for an hour and I wouldn't have to worry about my colonists killing themselves for no reason despite being 100% happy previously.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There's all kinds of good recommendations for quality of life mods and stuff, but are there any other good mods that really mix up gameplay? Preferably in some weird way like the cult mod. Like bug taming. Or mechanoid taming. Wanna make tame bug/mechanoid fighting pits. It looks like there's some magic mod but it's just focused on combat which is kind of lame.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Why are my recruitment from raider difficulties so high? Caught a dude and he's at 95% difficulty, and I've never seen it lower than 65%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Is there somewhere I can find some easy-to-implement, quick and dirty colony designs? I'm not a huge fan of the base planning part of the game, but I tend to get pretty hung up on it and then demotivated whenever I start a new colony. I don't really enjoy the designing that much, but I'm too much of a perfectionist to just go "gently caress it" and build as the need arises.