Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I grabbed Tale of Two Towns 3D during the Christmas sales, is there anything I need to know going in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Crops will die if you step on them

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I grabbed Tale of Two Towns 3D during the Christmas sales, is there anything I need to know going in?

Befriend the carpenter lady and the blacksmith right away.
Save 10 each of the trash hand fishing items for Winter.
There is no point to brushing the horse or giving it treats.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

THF13 posted:

There is no point to brushing the horse or giving it treats.

That's it's own reward :colbert:

You're sometimes just not going to be able to make anything good for the cooking comps, but it's worth entering even if you lose so keep an eye on the cafes to grab something for it if you need to. Your teammates will do better in it if you're friends with them and sometimes that'll be enough to push you into a win

Have fun! It's my favourite Harvest Moon of the couple I've played, so I hope you enjoy it :) I think I've heard that the 3D version has some weird issues though :ohdear:

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Crops will die if you step on them

That's not true...?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Was it not two towns that implemented crops that had star ratings that gradually dropped as they rotted and the system where walking on crops dropped their value?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Crops have star ratings and produce does go bad after keeping it storage for a week or two but you can't damage things by walking on them afaik, heck you straight-up can't walk on most things

It gets around blocking you off by letting you dig connected plots so you just water one spot and they all get it

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
But if you run on them I distinctly remember a HM game where they flash red briefly, indicating that the rank does get affected. Which game am I thinking of?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Sunshine Islands probably.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I don't remember if you could walk on crops yet in Sunshine Islands. It was one of the later games that removed that limitation of blocking you from the middle crop and just let you walk on crops. I don't recall any that messed with crop quality for walking on them though. I half-suspect Rune Factory 3 did it first with letting you walk on crops and then it was brought back into the main series.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, I vaguely recall being surprised at something like that in my 2 hours of playing RF3

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

heylo. i notice that Hometown Story by the Wada harvest moon guy is 75% off on the 3DS store, and was looking for a trip report. it seems not very good, according to reviews but i wanted to check. anyone played this?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

But if you run on them I distinctly remember a HM game where they flash red briefly, indicating that the rank does get affected. Which game am I thinking of?

Grand Bazaar is the one you're thinking of. It's a weird version where you can run or walk based on a toggle and running wrecks crops. The only reason you'd walk otherwise is to catch bugs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cool, thanks all.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Sage Grimm posted:

Grand Bazaar is the one you're thinking of. It's a weird version where you can run or walk based on a toggle and running wrecks crops. The only reason you'd walk otherwise is to catch bugs.

Riiiiight. Man, I did not care for that one

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sage Grimm posted:

Ah, I skipped that one since it seemed very non-typical and I heard mixed things about it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's Natsume's patented "two steps forward, three steps back" approach to development. Expanding a bazaar gradually? Awesome! Have it be the most efficient way of making money? *fart*

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

It's Natsume's patented "two steps forward, three steps back" approach to development. Expanding a bazaar gradually? Awesome! Have it be the most efficient way of making money? *fart*

Didn't Natsume just localize grand bazaar?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jimmybob posted:

Didn't Natsume just localize grand bazaar?

Yeah, Marvelous are the main developers. They were in a transitory period on DS too I feel, since I think their staff got shuffled up I think, with the former leads focusing on their console games. Grand Bazaar was the directorial debut for Takahiro Yura, I believe, and he's been in charge of the series ever since. Which you can see with how everything's been pretty consistent and iterating from Tale of Two Towns.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

remember how great jumping was? remember how they didn't put it in any other HM games?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns has a NA release date, it'll be out on February 28.

They're still undecided on bringing over the post-launch DLC - the tl;dr is that it's an extreme amount of text, so they'll either have to release it as paid DLC to recoup the cost or simply not bother bringing it over, and the content wouldn't be 1:1 with what was released in Japan: http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156774860925/about-dlc-for-story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns

EDIT: oh, and Skytree Village got some DLC marraige candidates.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
February 28th, I thought it was March 28th :wow: that's awesome!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns has a NA release date, it'll be out on February 28.

They're still undecided on bringing over the post-launch DLC - the tl;dr is that it's an extreme amount of text, so they'll either have to release it as paid DLC to recoup the cost or simply not bother bringing it over, and the content wouldn't be 1:1 with what was released in Japan: http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156774860925/about-dlc-for-story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns

EDIT: oh, and Skytree Village got some DLC marraige candidates.

Trio of Towns seems to have fixed a lot of SoS's problems, so I hope we do get the dlc.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
while i'd prefer free dlc, i wouldn't really mind paying $4 bucks for stuff that takes that much translation. Probably would just buy whichever one includes the secret marriage candidate being able to have kids though, and maybe the extra candidates.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Blhue posted:

while i'd prefer free dlc, i wouldn't really mind paying $4 bucks for stuff that takes that much translation. Probably would just buy whichever one includes the secret marriage candidate being able to have kids though, and maybe the extra candidates.

This sounds about right. I like Xseed, they actually bothered to communicate with their customers. Nice to see and explanation about why the dlc may not be translated, or if it is why we would have to pay for it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Reading some spoilers on the DLC some of it is incredibly :wtc: even for Harvest Moon so I'm not super broken up if we don't get it.

Spoilers if anyone cares Woofio isn't human he's a living costume essentially after a witch cursed him and there's a lot of weird poo poo and melodrama in there

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 5, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
For the not too wacky stuff, I don't mind buying to get as SoS ain't as powerful as HM. It ain't really fair or realistic to expect it to be free of something that far niche. If they don't decide to send it our way, oh well, I'll still have Trio of Towns.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Still no news on EU release date :(

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I am way way out of the loop here. I played RF4 a lot a few years ago and got a bit burned out on the genre I guess but wanna give it another go now.
I know about Stardew Valley, but looking at the other consoles (mainly 3DS), what's actually out and what's actually good? The ones I've spotted are Tale of Two Towns, Hometown Story & Story of Seasons. Are they all the same franchise? Are there any others on the store that I missed that aren't just ports of old games?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The big thing is that harvest moon is now a cheap knockoff made by the former translators because they ended up with rights to the name only. Actuall harvest moons are now called story of seasons instead so thats the ones you want to look at.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 6, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I felt so bad when my husband surprised me with The Lost Valley. What a bad game. He knew one of them was bad (LV) and the other was good (Story of Seasons) but forgot which was which.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So the good game is Story of Seasons and I should skip Tale of Two Towns/A New Beginning? What the hell is Hometown Story then?

EDIT: After a bit of googling it seems A New Beginning was the last "legit" Harvest Moon called Harvest Moon. Which is better out of SoS and ANB then? I know it's subjective but is there some consensus?

Also it seems Hometown Story is just some spinoff.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 6, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I say skip ToTT and play ANB, I enjoyed it anyway. Wasn't the best but it was decent

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Two Towns and A New Beginning were the last real Harvest Moon games to use the title. Marvelous Japan bought Xseed and started using them instead of Natsume for translation. Story of Seasons was made the new game series title.

Hometown Story was an original game by Natsume (With a character designed by the girl who made Pikachu!!!!!!1111one) and is about shop management with very little introduction.

Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley, Seeds of Memories (Android, Supposedly Wii U/PC), and Skytree Village are knockoff games by Natsume. The farming area became a little minecraft-like area and no town. Land could also only be worked one square at a time. Skytree seems to have been built from the feedback for the first allowing more bulk farming and adding a town but I haven't played it more than a few minutes.

I didn't mind TLV and didn't have fun with ANB but that's not a majority opinion. It was probably the Minecraft style terraforming I was doing that kept me interested for so long.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Also: SoS: ToT comes with a capybara plush. This is important.

TLV kinda grew on me with the patches and DLC. I've sunk a good chunk of time into Skytree Valley, and yeah, I enjoy it but I really prefer Story of Seasons.

As for Skytree, you do get to upgrade your tools - even for landscaping. I suck at gauging elevation, though. Also, fishing is far too RNG-y for my taste. The DLC marriage candidates are awesome, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hometown Story is a vaguely HM-esque game by the original Harvest Moon guy but it's not part of the series and it's also pretty bad.

Speaking of, that guy's new game (Birthdays the Beginning for PS4/PC) came out in Japan a couple weeks ago and will be released elsewhere in May:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5QmUw4fkk

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Foxhound posted:

So the good game is Story of Seasons and I should skip Tale of Two Towns/A New Beginning? What the hell is Hometown Story then?

EDIT: After a bit of googling it seems A New Beginning was the last "legit" Harvest Moon called Harvest Moon. Which is better out of SoS and ANB then? I know it's subjective but is there some consensus?

Also it seems Hometown Story is just some spinoff.

ANB and SoS use the same engine and are both pretty good, though i'd call SoS a bit better. Also there's a new one coming out at the end of the month so you could always just wait for that too.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Blhue posted:

ANB and SoS use the same engine and are both pretty good, though i'd call SoS a bit better. Also there's a new one coming out at the end of the month so you could always just wait for that too.

I'm in EU so gonna be a bit of a hassle, if it's possible at all.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
SoS doesn't involve that godsawful town building with no overhead view. Eurgh, that was such butts.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

I felt so bad when my husband surprised me with The Lost Valley. What a bad game. He knew one of them was bad (LV) and the other was good (Story of Seasons) but forgot which was which.

did you return it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tired Moritz posted:

did you return it

Nah, I gave it a try but he wound up trading it in and putting the amount to another game he had preordered. I didn't act upset or anything of course! It was only after he really prompted me about if it was the good one or not

• Locked thread