Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
or you can give them a mac mini where nothing changes and they can't play bad games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

bump_fn posted:

everything in this photo is funny

im the sticky residue on the bottom right of the ThinkPad where the branding stickers were peeled off

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if your children are gamers you have failed in your duty to safeguard them imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if your children are gamers you have failed in your duty to safeguard them imo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
umm, i believe Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka would beg to differ, u might want to tread carefully here if you value your forums accounts, boys

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qntm posted:

why did you give microsoft permission to track your child

cheaper than paying Verizon to do it probably

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

carry on then posted:

appletv4 is the only stb without a dogshit garbage slow as gently caress ui, it's been worth every penny to me just for that

jesus christ yes. literally all my apple tv gets used for is plex. i already have a tivo mini in each room but i dont use the built in plex app because its so god damned slow and crashes a lot

r u ready to WALK posted:

HomeKit is surprisingly open for an Apple thing, actually.

Several smart home solutions have bridge support for it now, like https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge or http://docs.openhab.org/addons/io/homekit/readme.html
I guess as long as the equipment doesn't talk directly to HomeKit you don't have to be certified :confused:

ah yes, this is what i expect from my apple products: "just download this software from github, compile, and run it on a server forever so that it just works"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there is no way to do anything "smart" with your home without extensive computer janitoring

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

there is no way to do anything "smart" with your home without extensive computer janitoring

yep. all smart home stuff is garbage that's way more effort than it's worth

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
a few more years and "dumb" will be a bullet point on appliances

it doesn't have wifi, there's no chip in it? it just conveys hot water from the tank to the hot tap? wow! tell me more!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my home theater system has fully working hdmi-cec, that's good enough for me

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i've been down on apple lately for their middling updates and bugs but today i tried setting up a windows 10 PC for my daughter's first computer and it is so bad

the highlight for me was setting up a "child" account with parental controls. i thought it'd be nice since kids under 13 have better privacy protection, so even tho win10 is all about phoning home and sharing ad metrics, she'd be spared that garbage. nope, turns out the adult has to give permission to microsoft to track their child, and then microsoft requires you enter a valid credit card, which they proceed to charge $0.50 to in order to verify that you, the computer admin, are an adult, and thus legally capable of waiving the privacy rights of your kid. i know this is petty and spergy and the easy way is just lie and tell them the kid is >13 years old but gently caress it, i gave them an amex and i'll do a chargeback in a few days :angel:

why don't you love your child enough to get them a mac?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

zen death robot posted:

because they're trash

that's no way to talk about someone's child

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

unban creamknob

http://www.mobipicker.com/apple-developing-chip-macbook-pro-2017-arm-based-chip-deliver-better-power-efficiency/

Apple Developing Own Chip For MacBook Pro (2017); ARM-Based Chip To Deliver Better Power Efficiency

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like to imagine it's going to be dual architecture and sticking an ARM in it is mostly for running iOS apps on your laptop. Sort of like UWP but hopefully not bad.

Or just to threaten Intel with dropping their platform if they don't sell them processors dirt cheap.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
apple will probably make the arm part completely transparent,like the whole stock os will be arm and last 2+ days
then you fire up chrome, word or photoshop and the intel proc turns on, the fans go full speed and the battery dies in 2 hours

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
lol if u think they'd put a fan in the MacBook

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Apple just wants to ensure that there are no good laptops anymore

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

In hindsight all the crying hipsters was justified

They knew what was coming

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hobbesmaster posted:

Apple just wants to ensure that there are no good laptops anymore

almost there, seeing as there aren't any good windows laptops already

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I seriously was excited about being given a 3 year old t430 (with an ssd) when I started my new job in November

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hobbesmaster posted:

I seriously was excited about being given a 3 year old t430 (with an ssd) when I started my new job in November

what did you have before and why can't I be this easily excited?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Perplx posted:

apple will probably make the arm part completely transparent,like the whole stock os will be arm and last 2+ days
then you fire up chrome, word or photoshop and the intel proc turns on, the fans go full speed and the battery dies in 2 hours

it's going to be like the ps4 where a low power processor/os knows just enough to do the power nap stuff without waking the main cpu

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Rex-Goliath posted:

unban creamknob

http://www.mobipicker.com/apple-developing-chip-macbook-pro-2017-arm-based-chip-deliver-better-power-efficiency/

Apple Developing Own Chip For MacBook Pro (2017); ARM-Based Chip To Deliver Better Power Efficiency

hahahahahahaha I loving knew it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

thinkpads were sort of ok at their peek w/ the t420. the xps15 is the first good laptop to ever exist so you should get one of those

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the future of apple is iOSX which will be arm only making it even more worthless then ever before.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Rex-Goliath posted:

unban creamknob

i cant wait to lol at people who buy the new macbook pro and can only run ipad apps but with a keyboard and mouse

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

thinkpads were sort of ok at their peek w/ the t420. the xps15 is the first good laptop to ever exist so you should get one of those

I've seen too many garbage plastic latitudes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

apple MacBook with intel coprocessor for legacy apps

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rex-Goliath posted:

unban creamknob

the darkest years of my life were when i had to run powerpc poo poo through "rosetta" on my old macbook pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

i cant wait to lol at people who buy the new macbook pro and can only run ipad apps but with a keyboard and mouse

so four years after microsoft abandoned the surface rt, apple is going to make their own?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

the darkest years of my life were when i had to run powerpc poo poo through "rosetta" on my old macbook pro

they really did pull it off switching architectures pretty drat well tho all things considered. some apps took longer than others, sure, but carbon helped. i miss steve

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

so four years after microsoft abandoned the surface rt, apple is going to make their own?

the apple one will actually work, unlike every microsoft attempt at a mobile device

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I've seen too many garbage plastic latitudes

yeah it took them a while to make something good. you can get the same guts in a latitude for less but they're all plasticy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

most apple users just want a slow web browser so its gonna work fine.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
whole lotta :qq: itt about apple updating the custom chip that's already in every 2016 touchbar mbp

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
a targeted adware that only infects the touch bar

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

a targeted adware that only infects the touch bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
apparently in the time capsule if you choose to manage the onboard drive with accounts there is a hidden admin account created with your device password used as the account pw. you can access your time capsule from the Internet as a normal samba share using the IP and this account lol

nowhere does it tell you this and if you chose 12345 as your time capsule password then lol

e: furthermore, if you want to use the time machine software with account management enabled, you have to feed it the admin credentials, otherwise backing up is really broken

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 4, 2017

• Locked thread