Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved Frank incriminating himself 10 times over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

This episode, it was uhh very nice

Yeah baby!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maureen gives Cricket a run for his money in making no. 1 in the "most hosed over by their interactions with the gang" category.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maureen was already way too weird before interacting with the gang. They just pushed her over the edge.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol I forgot about making this

http://i.imgur.com/1m3sORS.gifv

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maureen gives Cricket a run for his money in making no. 1 in the "most hosed over by their interactions with the gang" category.

I don't know, she always really really liked cats. If anything the only part of her life the gang really screwed up was her wedding to one of the McPoyles. Everything else was just coincidental.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

drunken officeparty posted:

The Charlie interrogation was a literal spot on thing. Like even the camera angle and couch and stuff. But especially the wrestling thing. At no point before has Charlie been all about WWE wrestling like that, and double especially him asking to hurry up because he has to go see wrestling.

Yes it can be funny because haha charlie stoopid but it requires seeing MAM specifically to get it. I've never seen Lethal Weapon and I inferred most of those episodes but I'm sure I'm missing something from it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Gotta say I enjoyed this episode, and have never seen an episode of Making a Murderer or whatever else they were directly referencing.

I also can't stop giggling whenever I think of Charlie being high on Ketamine, and Frank's statute of limitations revelation.

Kwyndig posted:

I loved the nonchalant way that Dennis went "If there's special K in the apartment, Charlie's going to do it"

Oh absolutely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The goons who totally ignore the history of this show in order to talk poo poo about the latest episode is the best part of this thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I haven't seen MAM, but I have seen Thin Blue Line, AMA about how this experience affected my viewing of this episode.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wait, it parodied The Thin Blue Line too? I mean I saw both The Jinx and Making a Murderer and thought the episode was really funny, but knowing now that I had to also watch The Thin Blue Line in order to get it, I have to say that the episode was trash and the series is going downhill. I think it might even be cancelled after this season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I understood the parodies, I understood the Sunny callbacks, I just didn't think any of it was funny. :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I first thought the intro was parodying The Night Of, what with the dark street & bridge photography, the cat walking by, string music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPw-gIn6aj8

Idunno, it's not a docu so maybe not.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I understood the parodies, I understood the Sunny callbacks, I just didn't think any of it was funny. :shrug:

That's fine though, that's a totally valid opinion. I strongly disagree, but not everyone is going to think that the same things are funny.

It's just bizarre to see people try to argue that the jokes are entirely intertextual. Yes there are scenes in the episode that directly parody moments from The Jinx and Making A Murderer. But the comedy comes at least in part from the fact that these established characters FIT into those moments, not just from seeing the thing you've seen before in a different text (or in this case, TV Series). To me, as soon as the behavior of the characters ceases to make sense in the context of whatever you're referencing or parodying, that's when you cross the line into Shoe-Horned-In References for the sake of Reference.

It's on a much smaller scale, but I'm reminded of Ben the Soldier getting his face painted in "The D.E.N.N.I.S. System." You don't have to have seen the original "I Like Turtles" video for that joke to make sense or be funny, you only have to be familiar with the character of Ben the Soldier.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

That's fine though, that's a totally valid opinion. I strongly disagree, but not everyone is going to think that the same things are funny.

It's just bizarre to see people try to argue that the jokes are entirely intertextual. Yes there are scenes in the episode that directly parody moments from The Jinx and Making A Murderer. But the comedy comes at least in part from the fact that these established characters FIT into those moments, not just from seeing the thing you've seen before in a different text (or in this case, TV Series). To me, as soon as the behavior of the characters ceases to make sense in the context of whatever you're referencing or parodying, that's when you cross the line into Shoe-Horned-In References for the sake of Reference.

It's on a much smaller scale, but I'm reminded of Ben the Soldier getting his face painted in "The D.E.N.N.I.S. System." You don't have to have seen the original "I Like Turtles" video for that joke to make sense or be funny, you only have to be familiar with the character of Ben the Soldier.

Careful you'll disturb the cool MAM club.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ben the Soldier owns. He's just so aw gee shucks sincere all the time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Careful you'll disturb the cool MAM club.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

No, this makes no sense. Based on my extensive knowledge of IASIP, making Dennis out into some kind of murderer is reaching. There's no indication that he's ever killed anyone.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cojawfee posted:

No, this makes no sense. Based on my extensive knowledge of IASIP, making Dennis out into some kind of murderer is reaching. There's no indication that he's ever killed anyone.

He killed all those crows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, Charlie doing drugs? He's never done drugs on the show. This was a bad episode.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cojawfee posted:

After all, why would he? He just needs to know that he could, despite knowing he never will. But he could. Never isn't the right word, because he could, and he might; he probably will...

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Cojawfee posted:

Also, Charlie doing drugs? He's never done drugs on the show. This was a bad episode.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but Charlie has a very well covered glue huffing addiction.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And paint drinking

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf charlie doesnt do dru

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how anybody can read this and not understand the sarcasm. Jesus Christ you guys are dumb.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't know how anybody can read this and not understand the sarcasm. Jesus Christ you guys are dumb.

yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God I had forgotten all about that scene :xd:

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The best part about this is that he doesn't stop when it starts to disgustingly tear.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I completely lost my poo poo at this scene. It's just so perfect.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think the episode was fine. I haven't seen any of the stuff they're parodying and so a lot of things were in character for the gang but not necessarily funny. Charlie being distracted from a conversation by TV fit into Charlie's character, but it wasn't really a funny gag. The Dennis, Frank and Dee stuff worked a lot better than the Charlie stuff. I liked hearing about how Mac watches movies because it's perfectly in line with the sort of thing he'd do and makes for a good gag but nothing else he did this episode really did anything for me.

I wouldn't skip over this episode in future rewatches (which I only do with a few episodes) but it's definitely on the lower end of the Sunny spectrum.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/CrINHgm.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/gahd72u.gifv

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Trimmed down, perfect avatar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i unironically love that dennis staring at the camera dot gif is 40+ megabytes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That's why you're supposed to look at it as a gifv

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Frank confessing literally everything to some random cab driver was absolutely hilarious.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

moist turtleneck posted:

That's why you're supposed to look at it as a gifv

No, you idiot.

If the gif was small, you wouldn't be able to tell that it was filmed over a very long time. You moron. You piece of poo poo.

Sorry

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for me, I enjoy almost every episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. And hey, this might sound crazy, but the episodes I don't like? Well, that was just a down week, and probably not the literal end of my enjoyment of the series.

Yeah same. But some people here do overreact to someone else not liking an episode.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im not gonna overreact. im the cool guy just hanging out

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
That episode was very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Frank confessing literally everything to some random cab driver was absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, that was great. I kept thinking it was going to be some sting where the police kept a mic'd "cab" just idling in front of the station waiting for him to run.