Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Scramble the SkyBradders, the aliens are after our strategic sweater reserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Bradrangers

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i thought it was just a sweater at first, and i was like, well, that's not so bad

and then i saw the front of the plane

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Something nobody's mentioned about the Bradfordranger yet that makes it even better/more horrifying: I'm pretty sure the landing struts have teeth on them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Honestly my only wish is that the Skyranger would land, Bradford's mouth would open, and XCOM soldiers would emerge from his unholy maw.

Dressed in those drat sweaters.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Honestly my only wish is that the Skyranger would land, Bradford's mouth would open, and XCOM soldiers would emerge from his unholy maw.

I can only imagine what powered armor sweaters look like.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Grizzwold posted:

Something nobody's mentioned about the Bradfordranger yet that makes it even better/more horrifying: I'm pretty sure the landing struts have teeth on them.

They do, it's a limitation of how the Skyranger texture files are stored if I remember correctly.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Kwyndig posted:

They do, it's a limitation of how the Skyranger texture files are stored if I remember correctly.

"Limitation"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Kwyndig posted:

"YOU WILL DREAM OF TEETH AND NOTHING ELSE" - scratched behind a bulkhead

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the aliens are actually pretty cool they just dont like the bradfordranger

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

where the red fern gropes posted:

the aliens are actually pretty cool they just dont like the bradfordranger

It's dead and dying people getting mulched into the green glowie slushie.

Meanwhile, XCOM weaponizes especially manufactured human tissue and sweaters into a living, radar detection avoiding troop transport.

XCOM were the real villains all along.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dinictus posted:

XCOM were the real villains all along.

This worked out pretty well for GuavaMoment with TFTD

though really the developers of TFTD were the real villains all along, if you ask me :mad:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Psion posted:

This worked out pretty well for GuavaMoment with TFTD

though really the developers of TFTD were the real villains all along, if you ask me :mad:

The problem with the original X-Com series is that everything you do as Commander makes things worse somewhere down the line. Defeat the Sydonia brain? It sends out a hyperwave signal that wakes up every slumbering alien in the galaxy. Destroy the slumbering ancient ones and their giant temple ship? The destruction of the MC network releases toxic chemicals all over the world. Whatever the gently caress happens in Apocalypse? They never made another game after it but I'm assuming it couldn't have been good since the fighting caused severe damage to Mega-City One.

Although that reminds me of the cutscene at the end of X-Com 1/UFO, where you shoot the giant computer... but most smart players just blaster bomb leveled that entire chamber.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Probably X-Com's interdimensional drives lacked proper shielding and everyone dies of spacecancer and turns into some sort of nightmarish horror that starts destroying other Megacities.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jade when's the X-piratez LP?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Whatever the gently caress happens in Apocalypse? They never made another game after it but I'm assuming it couldn't have been good since the fighting caused severe damage to Mega-City One.

I believe you're forgetting something. :eng101:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Canuck-Errant posted:

I believe you're forgetting something. :eng101:

Interceptor takes place, canonically, before Apocalypse.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kwyndig posted:

Interceptor takes place, canonically, before Apocalypse.

Maybe he meant Enforcer

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Maybe he meant Enforcer

If that game ever existed, it would have taken place in first alien war, in the middle of Enemy Unknown. Alternative Enemy Unknown, where aliens began occupation, maybe.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

"Enforcer" is actually the working title of a novel one of the scientists is working on. It's basically just a fanfic he's written about how he and the super-cool, possibly cybernetic, commander fend off the alien horde by themselves. The few people he's shared it with have all burned it from their memories.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Veloxyll posted:

Maybe he meant Enforcer

You know that the smiley was a link, right?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

You know that the smiley was a link, right?

Dammit, Kwyndig! Now people are going to mouse over all the smilies in my previous posts just to see if I put links under them!

Aug 24, 2011

Brainamp posted:

"Enforcer" is actually the working title of a novel one of the scientists is working on. It's basically just a fanfic he's written about how he and the super-cool, possibly cybernetic, commander fend off the alien horde by themselves. The few people he's shared it with have all burned it from their memories.

the commander is actually a teletubby

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Canuck-Errant posted:

Dammit, Kwyndig! Now people are going to mouse over all the smilies in my previous posts just to see if I put links under them!

How many years has it been since you started doing that? :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There needs to be an Enforcer sound pack for MECs. :colbert:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Psion posted:

How many years has it been since you started doing that? :v:

At least 8.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Lunethex posted:

If this isn't a mod, it needs to be.

Aug 24, 2011

the fourth unit in the ruler pack, the bradford emperor, whose skin may be converted into a sweater for one of your troops

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
In keeping with the spirit of things it would be the Bradford Queen and she would get a free repeating voice clip for every action your soldiers make.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"We need to get these people outta here!! :byodood:" shouts the Bradford Queen as it pounds another xcom soldier into the dirt.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
And she's immune to the freeze grenade.

You know, because of the sweater.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shei-kun posted:

If this isn't a mod, it needs to be.

The sweater is actually something your squaddies can wear. Only for the base armor, of course.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There's a mod that restores the XCOM "Close Range" sweater to its full glory and also gives you EXALT dress outfits to wear. Those outfits own.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=696566464&searchtext=sweater

edit:

here's a mod that changes the Gremlin to PacMen

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=687468101&searchtext=cost+based

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 31, 2017

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Saga

Picking up right where we left off the team is headed to the ADVENT Plot Site where the vial of green human goo has lead us. It's a long mission, so fair warning, grab a snack and a rootbeer before loading this video up. The facility mission isn't unlike anything we've seen before though. Starting in concealment is a great way to start the mission. No turn timer helps you not rush or panic things, as well as giving you the option to sit and wait a few turns to reload guns or let skills recharge. In theory this is a mission you should be able to take a slow methodical approach to and always maintain control of the situation. It is a long one though, so any mistakes made are going to have to be carried with you for a much longer time than usual.

The only semi-new thing is really the Sectopod. Technically we've seen one before, but that was Julian at the time so this is our first ADVENT controlled Sectopod. It's worth noting that Julian's Sectopod didn't come with any special abilities so we know everything to expect from them. They shoot, they stomp, and they can lay down an artillery barrage. As the fight with Julian showed us a lone Sectopod isn't actually all that dangerous. It's when they are properly supported that they become lethal. Given a turn or two to smash over your cover and shoot soldiers in flanking positions they become deadly. If at long range and supported they can lay down their artillery fire and either pin or damage troops while dealing with smaller regular aliens. By itself the Sectopod is only a heavily armored wall of HP, and one that can be ground down in a single turn by a well equipped squad. The basics of killing any hard target apply here; use shredder attacks first, holo-targeting if you have it, bluescreen rounds work wonders, but other than that just count how many shots you have on target and figure out if you have enough damage to kill it in one round.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
If I remember right, chicken legs are better for running and sprinting, while our legs are better for standing, and simply walking long stretches of land, since when ya extend your knee fully it locks in place, rather than having to use constant force like chicken legs do.

Though calling them back facing knees aren't really true, what you think is the knee of the sectopod is actually the ankle

The yellow in this is actually the knee

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 4, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, clearly we captured the top secret ADVENT project simply known as "Crazy Legs". That's the only explanation I can come up with for what happened.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The leg's seem like the hidden object to handle the corpse, like how World of Warcraft has millions of invisible bunnies that die to handle event triggers.

Just you managed to make it visible somehow.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Since you mentioned crit chances above 100%: Warframe goes ahead and lets things 'redcrit', where the critical multiplier is applied again. But since some guns have a multiplier greater than 2... Well, I know one guy who ended up with a 205% crit chance and 4.4x multiplier on a gun. So it always did at least 19.36x damage, with a 5% chance to bump that up to 85.184x damage.

This was exactly as hilarious as it sounds.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Nalesh posted:

Though calling them back facing knees aren't really true, what you think is the knee of the sectopod is actually the ankle

The yellow in this is actually the knee

Birds, dogs and cats are all digitigrades. They walk on their toes (toe = digit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Jake needs to fix his game, Flamethrowers have been bugged since release and can only panic mind controlled Xcom soldiers.

• Locked thread