Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I can't imagine when I'd ever want afterburners over shield capacitors or crystal-forged plating. Even on corvettes a shield capacitor seems like a better call, especially torpedo corvettes since I don't need them to get in close asap anyway. If I want my fleet to engage at close range I'll manipulate the jump/use FTL inhibitors to drop them on top of the enemy (or as close as they can get).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Coolguye posted:

afterburners are good on corvettes and literally nothing else

Really? Attack speed isn't all that?
Well I built my ships wrong then.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Afterburners on corvettes only just means they'll outrun your point defence/flak/fighter screens and get torn up faster, thereby doing a poo poo job at being a distraction/torpedo delivery system. Shield capacitors number one auxiliary slot forever

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, thanks to the way combat mechanics in this game work, all afterburners on corvettes does is make sure your corvettes get ripped apart by those missiles you're all convinced are useless even faster than normal because none of your anti missile ships can keep up. And if you put afterburners on everything to counteract this, then the guy with shield capacitors curbstomps your fleet. You could sorta make a case for afterburners in the early game before PD is a thing, except that then you're researching afterburners when you have vastly more important things to research and you are gimping yourself.

In short: Afterburners are bad, like this thread.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Regenerative Hulls are great on Cruisers and Battleships I thought though?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Every time I play this I get right to the point where you start making doom stack fleets and then go 'well this is pretty boring/awful' as everything has ground to a halt and then start a new game. Paradox makes decent events but combat in this game is pretty bad.

Granted I haven't played I a while so they might have fixed this somewhat.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy poo poo from the stream; you can now right click on a system with a constructor and have it Build Mining Stations, this isn't in vanilla is it?

edit: gently caress, it is

now if only there were some way to have your scientists go through all your anomalies without having to peer at the map

VVV

yeah, that's the same as in all the other games, but I don't think they ever mentioned it in the game

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 4, 2017

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Get this.. you can cue up multiple systems with shift as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FISHMANPET posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do about an ascended fallen empire that wants to reclaim the galaxy, when they're flying around with multiple 100k + strength fleets? I had a fleet that big and I beat one of their fleets then they brought 3 more and kicked my rear end. I'm rebuilding but it's relatively slow and now I see a 173k power fleet jumping into my system and that's gonna kick my rear end.

Everyone is at war so nobody can engage in diplomacy, so there's just kinda nothing to do. I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing this when it first came out, the endgame just peter's out into nothing.

Do you have Psi Jump Drives? Just run your fleet around in a never ending circle while they chase you for 10 years, then sign a white peace and go back to hulking up.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Regenerative Hulls are great on Cruisers and Battleships I thought though?

They are, right up until you find some living metal.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm onto the repeatable techs so yeah I've got psi.

I turned down the aggressiveness of the AI when I made the game so the AI spends a lot of time time just chilling. The 190k doom fleet destroyed a couple of mining outposts then they gave me a white peace.

With all that my max fleet size is a 160k doomstack between energy and naval capacity. I did manage to join a federation and we vassaled an AI pretty quickly so maybe I've found a path to victory now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ChrisBTY posted:

Really? Attack speed isn't all that?
Well I built my ships wrong then.

it is not

to be clear i was talking about afterburners on corvette swarms and i forgot to finish my thought earlier. corvette swarms make sense as a guerrilla force in a lot of wars because the AI gets cagey when its starports start getting blasted in the backfield, so being able to close with and destroy stuff quickly is helpful in that regard. larger starports have extreme range so afterburners can get you into range and firing as much as 10-14 days sooner on a level 5 spaceport.

for a general deathball you always always always want something that will increase survivability more, and the list of that looks like this:

1) shield capacitor
2) mayyyyyyyyybe regenerative hull (not really)

while we're on the subject of ships, i might as well ask for opinions on counter-designing this AI design. i always have a lot of trouble counter-designing against kinetics.

his main deathball consists of 53 of these and nothing else. i get cruisers in 2 years, and i've stomped on a couple of missile-using AIs to the point where i almost have level 2 missiles for free.

i'm thinking about refitting the fleet to use those level 2 missiles to subvert his high evasion, researching level 2 armor, and clapping that on the destroyers i have right now. then spit out a good 5-10 cruisers and go to work with whatever corvettes i happen to build in the meantime. i don't see a ton of benefit in including a lot of corvettes in the battle plan since he's so one-dimensional.

i do have the luxury of time because i snaked these designs by sending a science ship to his homeworld to scout him out. plan above workable y/n?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 4, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, armored cruisers is likely the only thing available to you at that stage of the game that isn't going to result in a near even trade of fleet strength when you go at him, so long as he keeps all those corvettes in one fleet. That's probably your best bet.

The only reason I'd use any corvettes when you do commit is to draw fire off the cruisers for a few precious days, but depending on your armor tech you may not need any.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it will likely be level 2 armor. i have the card locked in from stomping the last few AIs and i don't really fancy my luck on getting level 3 in a timely manner afterward.

weapon wise, missiles are my best bet here right? im not tripping on that one? armored corvettes is a pretty strange design choice for an AI

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't lasers chew through those since they lack shields? Not that 17% damage reduction is very impressive. :shrug:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I just fought my first War in Heaven. It was a massive conflict and it was really cool and fun even though it made my computer chug like a dying train.

Until it ended in a white peace?! How is that a thing? Is that a bug?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

A combination of both is what I'd go for. Probably primarily lasers on the cruisers since they'll be out front, and then if you have a group of destroyers with missiles sitting pretty behind them you'll likely clean up pretty handily.

Missiles are pretty poo poo against larger fleets in general, but they can absolutely wreck corvette swarms thanks to the range advantage and negation of evasion, combined with the fact that corvettes literally cannot have PD. Missiles are a good choice here. Obviously you'll want the lasers in your small and some of your medium mounts, with the missiles in all the large mounts and whatever mediums are left.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today's Tradition tree is Prosperity:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/827821942883418113
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/827824208210173952

Also, tangentially-related:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/827822587111731200

Makes sense to me; where every other tree seemed at least somewhat flexible and useful to many people, even if they aren't for everyone (Pacifists may not want Domination, for example, but pretty much anyone else could probably make use of it), Purity, at least based on what we heard about it, sounded like it was Xenophobe-focused.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

On the downside, once your civilization collapses thanks to the space elves loving a new Satan into existence, technology would become the domain of a knowledge-hoarding priesthood who'd ritualize all aspects of learning.

:v:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

On the downside, once your civilization collapses thanks to the space elves loving a new Satan into existence, technology would become the domain of a knowledge-hoarding priesthood who'd ritualize all aspects of learning.

:v:

Quiet you fool, we don't want another Spot the Spacemarine incident

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Prosperity does look like quite a good generalist tree for almost any empire on its face from these two alone.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Korgan posted:

Quiet you fool, we don't want another Spot the Spacemarine incident

I'm not worried, though. Unlike GW, Paradox actually makes money.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I'm not worried, though. Unlike GW, Paradox actually makes money.

:eyepop:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah making traditions work in a way that they're based on playstyle rather than ethics is a really good thing, you could feasibly have 2 empires with identical ethics but very different strengths and weaknesses due to different traditions.

One change I haven't seen anyone really discuss (possibly it was only mentioned on stream) is how pops, ethics and happiness work now. You no longer get happiness impact directly from having policies that pops dislike based on their ethics, instead your pops' base happiness is based on the happiness of the faction which they belong to. There's also no longer pop modifiers for ethics. What this means is that there's no longer an incentive to annoyingly micromanage it so you have materialist pops doing science etc. - there are still traits which impact tile production but those are determined on a per-species basis and don't change which makes them easier to handle. For a hamonious empire, rather than worrying about avoiding individual angry pops, you want to try and make your factions happy and increase the attractiveness of your happy factions to your pops.

Other than determining how happy they are (via their faction) I don't think an individual pop's ethics actually do much in 1.5 which is probably a good thing given how many pops you have.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I did notice that and I think that it's a good thing. It cuts down on a lot of planetary tile micromanagement a little bit. While I like managing planets and building, tile management was something that I never really enjoyed. The less overt management of happiness on a micro scale, the happier I am as a player.

Traditions definitely allow for you to play a far more unique empire than previously, which will probably lead to even more interesting multiplayer games, if that's your cup of tea. It's certainly mine. You'll also be able to play multiple games with the same ethics that you're comfortable with, yet pick different traditions and it will keep that imperial template fresh for a while to come.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah making traditions work in a way that they're based on playstyle rather than ethics is a really good thing, you could feasibly have 2 empires with identical ethics but very different strengths and weaknesses due to different traditions.

Yeah, I like this too. With Purity replaced, nothing is ethos-exclusive(ish; technically you could go Purity on any non-Xenophile but it doesn't seem as appealing). While some might not be good for particular ethics (as before, Domination for Pacifist, or Harmony for Xenophobe, for the two I see), most work for anyone, and even the few that don't are basically only bad for one particular ethos and work with everything else. While Xenophiles will really like Harmony, for example, pretty much any non-Xenophobes will likely wind up with multiple species in their empire, so diversity bonuses aren't bad. And heck, even Xenophobes may benefit from the happiness part of that tree.

quote:

One change I haven't seen anyone really discuss (possibly it was only mentioned on stream) is how pops, ethics and happiness work now. You no longer get happiness impact directly from having policies that pops dislike based on their ethics, instead your pops' base happiness is based on the happiness of the faction which they belong to. There's also no longer pop modifiers for ethics. What this means is that there's no longer an incentive to annoyingly micromanage it so you have materialist pops doing science etc. - there are still traits which impact tile production but those are determined on a per-species basis and don't change which makes them easier to handle. For a hamonious empire, rather than worrying about avoiding individual angry pops, you want to try and make your factions happy and increase the attractiveness of your happy factions to your pops.

Other than determining how happy they are (via their faction) I don't think an individual pop's ethics actually do much in 1.5 which is probably a good thing given how many pops you have.

Some of this is new to me, hence my not discussing it; I've read the dev diaries but I don't remember seeing some of these things (like pop modifiers for ethics being gone entirely; I was wondering about that, given the one-ethos-only change), and others I just read the discussion on rather than joining in, but on the whole I like what I'm seeing.

Though I do wonder, if pop modifiers from ethics are gone, that presumably means that ethos bonuses are all empire-wide now, unless something really changed. There are also ways to change your government's ethics, such as by embracing factions. This has me wondering if you can upgrade/alter your bonuses in-game, and if so, if there's any significant reasons to not push yourself towards the Fanatic versions of whatever you want so you get the larger bonuses there.

(I haven't watched the latest stream and stuff yet, and may have missed information elsewhere, so if this has already been addressed, whoops.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 4, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Some future patch should allow sectors to terraform planets, they tend to sit on big energy (or is it money?) reserves anyway. And maybe make them more willing to colonize planets.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 4, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Have you considered using sex to make their utopian yet joyless existence collapse?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Both tradition trees we've seen so far seem to have really nice buffs. Will be interesting to see how many trees you can pick up over the course of a normal game.

Also, Coolguye, you should go for exclusively Cruiser fleets with only armour and sections picked to maximise small slots. Lasers in small slots, missiles in medium. Begin engagement at max distance if possible.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Though I do wonder, if pop modifiers from ethics are gone, that presumably means that ethos bonuses are all empire-wide now, unless something really changed. There are also ways to change your government's ethics, such as by embracing factions. This has me wondering if you can upgrade/alter your bonuses in-game, and if so, if there's any significant reasons to not push yourself towards the Fanatic versions of whatever you want so you get the larger bonuses there.

(I haven't watched the latest stream and stuff yet, and may have missed information elsewhere, so if this has already been addressed, whoops.)

I don't think this was addressed, Wiz did say at one point on stream that he wasn't going to embrace his (very happy and popular) egalitarian faction to gain fanatic egalitarian because he was happy with his ethics, so I assume that you don't get a 'free lunch' and have to abandon an existing ethic or something.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't think this was addressed, Wiz did say at one point on stream that he wasn't going to embrace his (very happy and popular) egalitarian faction to gain fanatic egalitarian because he was happy with his ethics, so I assume that you don't get a 'free lunch' and have to abandon an existing ethic or something.

Shifting to Fanatic Egalitarian would've removed whichever of Pacifist and Xenophile had the lowest attraction from my empire ethics.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wiz posted:

Shifting to Fanatic Egalitarian would've removed whichever of Pacifist and Xenophile had the lowest attraction from my empire ethics.

Ah, okay. I was wondering about how, if the limit of 3 ethics points total remained, how it would decide what you lose on a shift. That makes sense.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How does fanaticism work with the new pops? Can a pop be fanatical or does that still count as two dots?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

A combination of both is what I'd go for. Probably primarily lasers on the cruisers since they'll be out front, and then if you have a group of destroyers with missiles sitting pretty behind them you'll likely clean up pretty handily.

great idea. i have about 15 destroyers that are currently configured with PD because the last war included approximately all the missiles, but i can have them refitted in a couple of days. i also have the red lasers card locked in from pirate debris so i can research that to clap on the cruisers. no angle on blue lasers right now but for a fight like this it shouldn't matter.

this is the last guy i need to subdue and vassalize before my galactic neighborhood is all under my heel; after that the local democratic crusader has shown up so I will need to go into hardcore building mode to catch up.

fwiw dudes having done this for 4 games now I very highly recommend a first contact war if you see your closest neighbor is using missiles. all you need to do is hold them bottled in their home system until you get PD destroyers and there is basically no way you can lose at that point. having an early vassal is really nice because when the rest of the neighborhood lights up they implicitly accept that this race has always been sucking your dick and they don't really question it at all. my current game i vassalized my first opponent in 2228 and it owned.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Splicer posted:

How does fanaticism work with the new pops? Can a pop be fanatical or does that still count as two dots?

I think that pops now have just a single regular ethic but if your government has a fanatic ethic then you'll have twice as much ethic attraction towards that ethic from your government so you'll end up with more pops with that ethic. Also I used the word ethic too many times and it no longer means anything.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So here's a newbie question: How do I tell a sector to purge all the goddamn xenos? I set it to purge and it doesn't seem to be doing it at all.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
What would happen if you embrace a faction who is diametrically opposed to one of your government ethics would you gain a point in the most attractive other ethic.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I foolishly posted on Reddit in an argument over naming the authoritarian-egalitarian axis (this will never end) and predictably - though I didn't see it coming because I'm not a crazy person - got told my line of reasoning was wrong because the opposite of authoritarianism is actually libertarianism. I am so happy that I don't have to interact with these people in the real world.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RabidWeasel posted:

I foolishly posted on Reddit in an argument over naming the authoritarian-egalitarian axis (this will never end) and predictably - though I didn't see it coming because I'm not a crazy person - got told my line of reasoning was wrong because the opposite of authoritarianism is actually libertarianism. I am so happy that I don't have to interact with these people in the real world.

I'm glad that I get to read a recounting of the argument you had on reddit arguing about the same old labels that have been discussed since release, as well as explaining that your position is the right one because you are not a crazy person.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You'll never please everyone because these are really abstracted mish-mashes of culture, politics, and economics trying to fit on a 5 point axis. I can absolutely understand how a libertarian who views the most important aspect of society being how much "the state" has control over things would absolutely view the axis as going from Authoritarianism to Libertarianism. You could rename that anarchy or what ever but to them the most important aspect is looking at that ethos as a slider of "state oppression".

We'd really need like Hoi2 levels of political sliders or more to make everyone (or at least more people) happy. The more abstracted the system is, the more chance you'll have that certain people feel their ideology isn't being correctly or fairly represented, or the ideology they want to have in the game doesn't quite fit with the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It all sounds like the Repugnant trait to me.

• Locked thread