Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They actually have a really quick, cough-and-you'll-miss-it reference to Skaikru being genetically engineered in season 2, so I guess that was a thing in the Ark. Maybe that's part of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spergatory posted:

They actually have a really quick, cough-and-you'll-miss-it reference to Skaikru being genetically engineered in season 2, so I guess that was a thing in the Ark. Maybe that's part of it?

Oh poo poo I vaguely remember this! I just started s02 for the second time so I'll keep my eye out for this. I think it was the evil doctor lady in Mt Wx that mentions it?

But they developed radiation Resistance due to the solar radiation, that's totally a valid science thing! :hydrogen:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It's a tv show. It needs its conceits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheCenturion posted:

It's a tv show. It needs its conceits.

Overthinking TEEVEE is the entire reason this sub forum exists.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Rhyno posted:

Overthinking TEEVEE is the entire reason this sub forum exists.

True, but where we can have fun debate about the social evolution and what not, no, radiation doesn't work that way and that's that.

But ok. Commander's nanomachines help. All groundrers have some; nightbloods have tons.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The various methods of survival portrayed by the different elements we've seen so far (nanomachine blood and resistance over time by the grounders, space radiation and possible genetic engineering by the Arkers, and hiding underground by the Mountain Men) are interesting. What I hope we see next season is even more of that, and finding new and interesting pockets of humanity who have survived in their own perhaps different ways. Particularly if they have to go on some quest to shut down nuke plants all over the world. It'd be nice to get away from the greater VA/Maryland area and see more of the world.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, no. Then again, the entire premise is flawed. It's simply not possible to develop resistance to radiation the way one develops resistance to iocane powder. ;)

Actually, while the degree of radiation resistance depicted in this show is most definitely impossible, some degree of adaptive or evolved radiation resistance does seem to be possible in real life humans. From a study performed on residents of Ramsar, Iran, which has the highest natural background radiation levels of any known inhabited place on Earth:

quote:

An in vitro challenge dose of 1.5 Gy of gamma rays was administered to the lymphocytes, which showed significantly reduced frequency for chromosome aberrations of people living in high background compared to those in normal background areas in and near Ramsar. Specifically, inhabitants of high background radiation areas had about 56% the average number of induced chromosomal abnormalities of normal background radiation area inhabitants following this exposure. This suggests that adaptive response might be induced by chronic exposure to natural background radiation as opposed to acute exposure to higher (tens of mGy) levels of radiation in the laboratory.

There have also been some studies of wildlife in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone that seem to show that at least some of the animals in the area have started to evolve to be more resistant to radiation.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Am I the only one who hopes that Ghengis Clarke kills literally everyone by the end of season 4?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Bellamy will kill half of everyone in some stupid irrational betrayal, and them everyone else will forgive him immediately and blame it on Clarke instead

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

enraged_camel posted:

It's actually quite plausible.

• The vast majority of the world's knowledge today is stored on computers, most of which would either have been destroyed or rendered useless after a nuclear war. The remainder would have lasted for at most a few decades without proper maintenance before reaching a non-working state. Same with books, most of which tend to be stored in libraries (in towns and cities) and various learning centers (also in towns and cities).
  • The overwhelming majority of the world's experts would have perished during the initial nuclear exchange, where bombs would definitely have targeted major population centers where those experts tend to congregate. The surviving experts would prioritize the acquisition of basic resources (food, water, shelter) and over time would lose most of their technical skills and knowledge (due to not having the need or the opportunity to use them. It's hard to practice biochemistry if you don't have a lab.)
  • The most likely survivors of nuclear war would be those living in rural or remote areas furthest removed from population centers. Such people tend to specialize in the least advanced sectors of the economy such as agriculture, forestry, hunting and mining.
  • Due to scarcity of basic resources, constant exposure to the elements (especially radiation) and lack of modern medicine, the average life span for survivors would be quite low -- probably 30-40 years. This means that, after ~100 years, the chances of someone whose grandparents would remember what it was like before the bombs fell would be zilch.
  • Over a period of ~100 years (four generations), you're quite likely to end up with small to medium-sized tribes with technology levels of societies circa the first millennia. Any sort of pre-war technology they come across would be, as someone once said, indistinguishable from magic, and therefore become religion (just like with the shrine to the Commander in Polis).

There is a reason Einstein said that the fourth world war would most likely be fought with sticks and stones. He understood the fragile nature of society's technological state and the way a nuclear war would devastate most if not all of it. The show simply takes place in such a setting, and once you logically work through the most likely consequences of nuclear war you'll find it quite realistic.

Agreed. Even if we assume that a lot of the survivors were originally from the DC area, and were probably in nuclear shelters - hence their access to Hazmat suits, what would parents be teaching the first generation of kids born into the post-war world? Some history of the world before, but mostly practical skills that are needed to survive in the new world. You are probably not passing on your knowledge of managerial accounting, or coding in java. By the time the second generation was born, they would probably be living the current grounder lifestyle minus some of the tribal rituals and traditions.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
GENGHIS CLARKE RETURNS FOR SEASON 4 ON WEDNESDAY FEB 1ST

GET READY MOTHERFUCKERS

:black101:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

The Mash posted:

Am I the only one who hopes that Ghengis Clarke kills literally everyone by the end of season 4?

This is one of the many reasons I keep coming back to the show. I wanna see just how bananas she'll go, and then I wanna see how she can justify it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Things are off to a pretty amazing start so far.

Didn't see anyone make a season 4 thread yet, so are we staying here for now?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
YES OCTAVIA!!!!!!

Ahhh The 100 , eases the pain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well hel-loooooo Clarke and that corset you're wearing.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I was all ready for hot 100 action but it wasn't up on Amazon Video in UK time :argh:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I was kind of hoping that Jasper would pull the trigger.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, season 4 is already started?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bentacos posted:

I was kind of hoping that Jasper would pull the trigger.

I'm guessing that he will find some reason to live THEN die / get murdered in the finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm guessing that he will find some reason to live THEN die / get murdered in the finale.

No reason to kill yourself if the world will do it for you in 6 months anyways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think they should stop subtitling the Grounder talk, it is pretty much completely understandable as is now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Well hel-loooooo Clarke and that corset you're wearing.

Earth Cleavage is still extant even as the world is ending (again)!

Also love that Murphy still takes time out to poo poo on Jaha. :allears:

Yes Jaha, this is literally all your fault!

It seems that Kane is back in charge, with Pike dead, Jaha jahaing, and Abbie is deferring to him too. He was the best of the Chancellors, though not perfect.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Astroman posted:

Earth Cleavage is still extant even as the world is ending (again)!

Also love that Murphy still takes time out to poo poo on Jaha. :allears:

Yes Jaha, this is literally all your fault!

It seems that Kane is back in charge, with Pike dead, Jaha jahaing, and Abbie is deferring to him too. He was the best of the Chancellors, though not perfect.

Taking the time to poo poo on Jaha was great, and it seems they just kind of defaulted back to what worked before, which was Kane with Abbie as support.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I think they should stop subtitling the Grounder talk, it is pretty much completely understandable as is now.
Subtitles are also for people with impaired hearing, though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh thank god the premiere was good. Just hope the showrunners fix the pacing issues this time around.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Last season was such a disappointing mish-mash of weird pacing and character choices but I'm still on board and ho-oly poo poo I remember why I love this show with the premiere: not 5 minutes in and yeah guess what? Clarke is responsible for loads more deaths! This is the 100 I know and love. More Clarke murders let's go! :black101:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

muscles like this! posted:

Wait that wasn't just me? Did they make it a little easier to understand or have I actually picked up on Grounder syntax? :psyduck:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I feel like they changed it yeah. There were a few instances where I heard what they said and then read it and it made sense. I could have probably understood it without reading it if they maybe spoke a bit slower or if I was more exposed to it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm kinda glad there's no new outsider villain this time around, but Echo's not a very interesting character. I hope she doesn't become too central to the plot.

Zach McGowan is great, though, but maybe that's my Shameless bias at work.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I feel like they changed it yeah. There were a few instances where I heard what they said and then read it and it made sense. I could have probably understood it without reading it if they maybe spoke a bit slower or if I was more exposed to it.

I still need the subtitles. I understand it after the fact, like I'll hear it, read the subtitles, and say "oh that makes sense I see what they were saying" but I can't follow it when I hear it alone. I could probably read it and suss it out though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There were a bunch of lines in the episdode that were changed from Trigedasleng to English.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Really liking how the focus has shifted full circle to the kids facing the same choices the adults had to make in space. Season continues on an upward tick and this is back to being one of my favorite shows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What is even their plan here? Hole up in the derelict remains and hope the grounders die before they realize what is up?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How long are they even planning on living in those ships! And what's to stop them all turning into Mountain Men, mark II?

(Also, the writers must have some other plan in mind to resolving this crisis -- I can't see Season 5 being set after a 100 year time jump, or being set entirely inside the downed spaceships, no matter how much money they'd be able to save on exteriors.)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Open Source Idiom posted:

How long are they even planning on living in those ships! And what's to stop them all turning into Mountain Men, mark II?

(Also, the writers must have some other plan in mind to resolving this crisis -- I can't see Season 5 being set after a 100 year time jump, or being set entirely inside the downed spaceships, no matter how much money they'd be able to save on exteriors.)

I think they were tossing around 5 years as the amount of time they'd need to live in the ships. Not sure where they got that, but it stuck out to me when they said it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MiddleOne posted:

What is even their plan here? Hole up in the derelict remains and hope the grounders die before they realize what is up?

They literally said the plan.

Plan A is to save everybody. There is no Plan A yet.

Plan B is to repair the Ark so that at least they'll be safe from the coming meltdown radiation if they don't figure out a Plan A.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

They literally said the plan.

Plan A is to save everybody. There is no Plan A yet.

Plan B is to repair the Ark so that at least they'll be safe from the coming meltdown radiation if they don't figure out a Plan A.

And Plan B just got hosed since they got a couple dozen more mouths to feed and lost the ability to manufacture water.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The do-gooder lack of foresight gets tiresome.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I'm digging Nihilist Jasper. Zero fucks left to give, is literally laughing at his own death. I also enjoy how they use his batshit singing to introduce whatever song they're going with for the episode.

The only way I will accept another Radioactive remix is if it's sung exclusively by Jasper, acapella in it's entirety. While Clarke looks on, dreaming of murder and Monty wears his 'poo poo jasper's lost it again' look the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A good poster posted:

And Plan B just got hosed since they got a couple dozen more mouths to feed and lost the ability to manufacture water.

Bellamy just can't stop loving up.

At least Ocativia is smart enough to figure out that murder is the answer :ese:

• Locked thread