Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Being a party leader is largely about leading your party in Parliament, and therefore you need to have the support of your MPs to be able to do the job. We've seen with Corbyn what happens if a person becomes leader of a group of people who don't actually support them.

e 128 AD: Hadrian's Wall is completed in Britain. While popularly supposed to be a means of keeping the Picts out of Roman Britannia, some historians think it may have been designed to collect taxes from people passing through.

Paxman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Fangz posted:

I sorta agree that the idealised way things should work is that the membership should have some say, maybe, in the selection of the MPs but the MPs should just pick the party leader. US style voting for the party leader really only makes sense when the leader has some inherent power as a president or whatever, but the party leader's power derives only from the loyalty of his MPs.

This is not true. The party leader has a lot of power, including in the selection of MPs.

MPs represent their constituents. Party officials - including the leader - should represent party members. It's what they're for!

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How are you posting from back in the 1970s

Haha. Fair point.
I don't think we should emulate one any further, and should reverse that trend

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Tory members vote for the final two candidates nominated by their MPs.

And the MPs get total control over the ideological stance of the candidates. If your views happen to differ from what theirs, you have no chance of getting representation.

The left wing of Labour only got power by mistake. If your views align with theirs regardless of what you may think about Corbyn, MPs cannot be given complete control over the direction of the leadership.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I feel like this is reasonably summed up as "Labour's electorate and membership want different things". Which isn't surprising, really, given most of the country are small c-conservatives who've been radicalised for about twenty years by insane fabrications that people who care about politics have been laughing at for equally as long.

Honestly now that I put it like that it sounds like we just have two mutually opposing and irreconcilable sides in society so I guess it'll be interested to see how the next english civil war goes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So there's this argument going around that Labour had to vote for Brexit, otherwise their amendments couldn't get debated.

This is complete bollocks, of course, but here's proof that it's complete bollocks:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

Starmer was part of the 2015 intake - he was a QC/director of public prosecutions before going into politics.

I know, but that's a job that she adjacent to the political system and gives him a clear record that can be pointed to as to how he would conduct himself asa political leader.

Perhaps that isn't right (as a trainee solicitor with an LLM in human rights law, I have particular views on the relationship between the judiciary and politics in the professional sense) but it's what can and may happen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

spectralent posted:

Honestly now that I put it like that it sounds like we just have two mutually opposing and irreconcilable sides in society so I guess it'll be interested to see how the next english civil war goes.

Won't be much of a war tbh. The electorate is a lot bigger than labour's membership.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Won't be much of a war tbh. The electorate is a lot bigger than labour's membership.

Most of them are really stupid and would be no use other than walking over minefields. The real issue is the recent right-wing tilt of STEM people.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

And the MPs get total control over the ideological stance of the candidates. If your views happen to differ from what theirs, you have no chance of getting representation.

You could vote for a candidate from a different party?

Regarde Aduck posted:

The real issue is the recent right-wing tilt of STEM people.

I have to admit this STEM thing baffles me: why do people have a problem with people who study these sorts of degrees?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't think Labour let candidates from other parties vote in the leadership election

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dabir posted:

Don't think Labour let candidates from other parties vote in the leadership election

No but if a party doesn't reflect your views you can choose to vote for someone else.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Regarde Aduck posted:

Most of them are really stupid and would be no use other than walking over minefields. The real issue is the recent right-wing tilt of STEM people.

I'm not really seeing this right-wing tilt. I've been in the software development field for more than a decade and like 80% of my coworkers have always been either center or slightly left-wing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What if no party reflects your views?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Dabir posted:

Isn't that what independents are for?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rakosi posted:

Isn't that what independents are for?

I'd hope most people support the 'I love Hitler' local candidates less than the mainstream candidates.

Pissflaps posted:

I have to admit this STEM thing baffles me: why do people have a problem with people who study these sorts of degrees?

If you are rigorously taught to obey a series of intricate physical laws and doing otherwise will invite ruin without also having a reasonable indepth knowledge of how society doesn't function according to such neat rules you can produce a collection of manipulative conservative authoritarians misapplying their knowledge.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

You could vote for a candidate from a different party?

And so can you, but since you continue to moan about the direction Labour are taking I'm sure you realise what a disingenuous argument that is. The ideological bent of the two major parties matters massively in our political system.

Not to mention that if you support MPs picking leaders for Labour and the Tories, I'm sure you support it for other parties to. The only thing that brings is complete domination of the system by the elites.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Extreme0 posted:

I could believe this.

Except it's on the Sun so excuse me if I doubt the credibility of it.

It's only a credible report if it refers to her as "Comrade Abbott".

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Dabir posted:

Find people in your community who share your views and form a political party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blunt posted:

Find people in your community who share your views and form a political party.

Also anti-monopoly regulations are unnecessary because the free market will inevitably produce a plucky independent business to topple the overly-bureucratic megacorps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

I'd hope most people support the 'I love Hitler' local candidates less than the mainstream candidates.
Don't those guys normally run as one of the dozen or so British English National Liberty Front Local Democrats People First parties, and independents are more likely to be single issue candidates for saving the local hospital/woodland/etc.?

namesake posted:

If you are rigorously taught to obey a series of intricate physical laws and doing otherwise will invite ruin without also having a reasonable indepth knowledge of how society doesn't function according to such neat rules you can produce a collection of manipulative conservative authoritarians misapplying their knowledge.
That's unfair, some of them become manipulative tankie authoritarians misapplying their knowledge, although this is less common in the West, or manipulative conservative libertarians misapplying their knowledge, which is more common.

Engineers are overrepresented among terrorists though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Engineers are overrepresented among terrorists though.

e: This probably sounded too much like I wasn't condemning it. But basically I was saying that terrorists aren't necessarily fascists or even right-wing, even if they are super lovely terrible people.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 4, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I didn't read it as normalizing terrorism, it's hard to put terrorism into the political spectrum. Anti-government terrorism by definition has a libertarian streak, but uMkhonto we Sizwe and Britain First (or whoever gave Mair that gun) attacked their own governments for vastly different reasons.

And I'd guess most of them aren't economically right wing, if your ideology was just 'more money for me, gently caress you' you'd rob banks instead. The only exceptions would be CIA backed contras.

I'd guess the real left/right split in terrorist groups is whether they're reinforcing the status quo through terror (KKK/AWB) or opposing it (MK/PKK), but then like you said there are the theocratic terror groups on top of that which are hard to categorize.

I'm not sure which ones all the engineers are joining, they weren't allowed at careers day :v: but I think the reports mentioned Marxist and Islamist rather than Neo-Nazi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/04/capita-staff-paid-by-criminals-to-fit-electronic-tags-loosely

quote:

Scotland Yard is investigating claims that workers with the outsourcing firm Capita were paid by convicts to deliberately fit electronic ankle tags loosely, allowing them to slip the devices off when they wanted to go out.

Staff at the company, which runs the government’s Electronic Monitoring Service, were allegedly paid £400 a time to help at least 32 offenders beat their court-imposed curfews, according to a report in the Sun.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

I'm not really seeing this right-wing tilt. I've been in the software development field for more than a decade and like 80% of my coworkers have always been either center or slightly left-wing.

Yeah, me either. It does happen to an extent in the US, usually just-world libertarian types rather than actual fash, but it's not something I've seen much over here. The worst I've seen is 'girls couldn't possibly learn to code' type misogny from young male (dateless) nerds. Definitely no-one in love with Thatcher.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'd say that I like Labour's current leadership election system, but thinking retroactively the ban on the very newest members voting was the best idea.

Ideally only people who have been members more than 6 months should get a vote, and there shouldn't be any kind of pay to vote system.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

And so can you, but since you continue to moan about the direction Labour are taking I'm sure you realise what a disingenuous argument that is.

It's not disingenuous at all. I understand perfectly that Labour is going to lose many votes - potentially mine included - as a consequence of the path it has gone down.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It's not disingenuous at all. I understand perfectly that Labour is going to lose many votes - potentially mine included - as a consequence of the path it has gone down.

As though you vote

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

As though you vote

Why wouldn't I vote this doesn't make sense.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

And yet rather than simply vote for another party, you complain that Labour specifically are not catering to you any more. But when someone else complains that your ideas for Labour wouldn't represent them, you say 'just vote for someone else'.

It's disingenuous because having Labour represent your views is clearly important to you, but you suggest it shouldn't matter to anybody else because other parties exist.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

The libertarian types tend to gently caress off to the USA because they get paid more there and society agrees more with their fygm mindset.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

And yet rather than simply vote for another party, you complain that Labour specifically are not catering to you any more. But when someone else complains that your ideas for Labour wouldn't represent them, you say 'just vote for someone else'.

It's disingenuous because having Labour represent your views is clearly important to you, but you suggest it shouldn't matter to anybody else because other parties exist.

You're putting words into my mouth. I'm not saying it shouldn't matter to them. I'm saying they have that option - as do I, as you have identified.

I've never shied away from acknowledging that Labour can't take my vote for granted.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

You're putting words into my mouth. I'm not saying it shouldn't matter to them. I'm saying they have that option - as do I, as you have identified.

I've never shied away from acknowledging that Labour can't take my vote for granted.

Actually you're specifically saying they shouldn't have that option, because total control of the party and it's direction should be given to MPs. I can safely assume the reason for this is that the views of Labour MPs line up better with yours than with the majority of the grassroots. So you don't want representation to be given democratically, you want it kept for the elites because their views are closer to yours.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think there's some confusion here. I'm saying that any voter has the option of voting for a party or not at a constituency level. I'm not talking about leadership elections.

Also 'grassroots' is such an overused, bullshit term.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I think there's some confusion here. I'm saying that any voter has the option of voting for a party or not at a constituency level. I'm not talking about leadership elections.

Also 'grassroots' is such an overused, bullshit term.

Then you're moving the goalposts. I'm specifically calling you a hypocrite for complaining that the leadership doesn't represent you while trying to shut down the same argument from others with 'just vote for someone else'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not moving the goalposts you just ignored where they were in the first place.

It's realły loving simple: if a political party doesn't represent your views then you don't have to vote for it.

I can complain about whatever the gently caress I like. As can you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Why wouldn't I vote this doesn't make sense.

I don't believe you

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
This is all about strategic voting. Sure, floppy-dick Labour doesn't represent my political views at all: to me, they just give up too easy, and some of their views are too centrist, but then again I'm left of Marx. But really, if I don't vote for them, I'm helping full on super-hard Brexit "make the UK a tax haven with no workers rights" Tories, and I really don't want that.

The problem is that they seem to take people still voting for them as an encouragement for their latest right-wing leanings and so you see Labour MPs catering to that demographic. "Hey, it seems to be working!" no, gently caress you, go back to your party's essence you idiot.

Not that it matters - at this rate, they'll take away any voting rights I have as a EU citizen, and probably deport me in two years if I don't leave first.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 4, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I don't believe you

Why not ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You seem more like a complainer than a voter