Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Do you honesty think any amount of visits, advertisements, or money could have changed the outcome of the election?

I don't think so. People were excited about Trump, or Republicans who would vote for an alligator if it said "Jesus" enough.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

Do you honesty think any amount of visits, advertisements, or money could have changed the outcome of the election?

if by any you mean a nonzero amount, then yes

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm not saying that the Russian government didn't do the DNC hacks, but I've yet to see any actual evidence that they did. The early reports from that private security firm hired by the DNC were like "yeah these were super professional and highly organized hackers that could only be run by a government" while in the same breath saying "they were stupid and disorganized enough to use IPs linked to Russian hackers and yandex.ru emails (which is Russian gmail)". Then we get the "damning" report which starts with a big-rear end disclaimer saying it's pure speculation and there's no guarantee that anything in it is accurate. From the same people who brought you WMDs and yellow cake. And the guy who testified to Congress that the NSA isn't spying on Americans. And they're saying "we got the evidence but we can't show you because reasons, just trust us ok, we need another Cold War!".

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Vodos posted:

I'm not saying that the Russian government didn't do the DNC hacks, but I've yet to see any actual evidence that they did. The early reports from that private security firm hired by the DNC were like "yeah these were super professional and highly organized hackers that could only be run by a government" while in the same breath saying "they were stupid and disorganized enough to use IPs linked to Russian hackers and yandex.ru emails (which is Russian gmail)". Then we get the "damning" report which starts with a big-rear end disclaimer saying it's pure speculation and there's no guarantee that anything in it is accurate. From the same people who brought you WMDs and yellow cake. And the guy who testified to Congress that the NSA isn't spying on Americans. And they're saying "we got the evidence but we can't show you because reasons, just trust us ok, we need another Cold War!".

Do you often see evidence of FBI / CIA investigations? That's such an insane reason to give. Well, you know it couldn't have been Sirhan Sirhan because I didn't see any of the evidence! Like, it's so ignorant of the process, and reality to even suggest that you not seeing evidence of espionage investigations matters.

There's a good episode of the West Wing where Sam (Rob Lowe) has to deal with the same realization. http://westwing.wikia.com/wiki/Somebody's_Going_to_Emergency,_Somebody's_Going_to_Jail

It sounds like a similar issue as the WMD on the surface, but it's logically not.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Vodos posted:

The thing is that 'the Russians did it' is not something pulled out of a hat. It follows from the well-established relationships between Trump people and Russian govt./business people, and from the well-documented public behavior of Donald Trump.

Those things are not evidence that Russians did the DNC hack, but they establish the relationship and logic of the whole thing.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 22, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vodos posted:

i think the more damning thing is john podesta clicking on an obvious phishing email link that even your grandma at this point knows is bullshit

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Super Deuce posted:

Do you often see evidence of FBI / CIA investigations? That's such an insane reason to give. Well, you know it couldn't have been Sirhan Sirhan because I didn't see any of the evidence! Like, it's so ignorant of the process, and reality to even suggest that you not seeing evidence of espionage investigations matters.

There's a good episode of the West Wing where Sam (Rob Lowe) has to deal with the same realization. http://westwing.wikia.com/wiki/Somebody's_Going_to_Emergency,_Somebody's_Going_to_Jail

It sounds like a similar issue as the WMD on the surface, but it's logically not.

The DNC is pretty much saying that the Russians literally hacked the voting machines to make Trump win at this point. That's stupid.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

The DNC is pretty much saying that the Russians literally hacked the voting machines to make Trump win at this point. That's stupid.

Source this claim

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What the hell have they done to the theme song? :aaa:

Also, I don't know why but the funniest joke of the night to me was "if I wanted to be bored in a tent, I'd go camping".

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I don't like the new theme song, the set is weird, and I don't like the new lower third graphics which show people's names/titles. The old lower third was literally perfect, why did they gently caress with it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, I didn't like all that other stuff either.

Why is it so hard for people to subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't loving fix it" mentality?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The old theme song was honestly obnoxious and I thought the new version was.... less so.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh I forgot to whine about something else. What the hell was the deal with Maher saying it was totally fine to gut the Department of Education because it's only been around since 1980? That is one of the dumbest arguments in favor of getting rid of a cabinet agency I've ever heard. The EPA was created just a few years before that. Should we get rid of that too? I was honestly stunned that he was making that argument.

Bass Bottles posted:

The old theme song was honestly obnoxious and I thought the new version was.... less so.

Okay, if you didn't like the the original theme, that's fine. But more obnoxious? That's how I feel about the new one. It's much louder, with that weird, annoying distortion effect that's popular with post 2010 pop music for some reason.

I will say this, though. The original theme had more of a rap/hip hop feel that I wouldn't expect would be fitting for a political commentary show hosted by a White Jewish guy. But it was catchy, dang it!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh I forgot to whine about something else. What the hell was the deal with Maher saying it was totally fine to gut the Department of Education because it's only been around since 1980? That is one of the dumbest arguments in favor of getting rid of a cabinet agency I've ever heard. The EPA was created just a few years before that. Should we get rid of that too? I was honestly stunned that he was making that argument.

Bill Maher is a lifelong bachelor and doesn't care about kids or families.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
KGB chief linked to Trump file found dead amid Kremlin cover up claims

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/kgb-chief-linked-to-trump-file-found-dead-amid-kremlin-cover-up-claims-35404816.html

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So...it WAS essentially a Trump stacked panel by virtue of nobody thoroughly shutting down Grover, who shouldn't even be there, and Maher doubling down on the cringe of last week's bizarre PC obsession for Democratic salvation on top of the fool's errand of earnest prayers to the GOP to be the saviors of us all~ Even with his telegraphing before the election to disgustingly lionize and rehabilitate Bush and Romney, it is still the bad sort of surreal to see him chasing it down that rabbit hole. Avlon tried a bit alongside the other guy, but the rage wasn't exactly palpable compared to the normalizing undercurrents.

Curious* that they didn't really get into the refugee ban in conjunction with holocaust wranglings---I know the news was somewhat late to clarify but it should've been in time for the live show given prior late breaking coverage for discussion and it doesn't really pass muster for his early card of "Oh, Trump's done so much we can only afford to focus on the shiniest slivers".

This is going to be a hard season if this is the direction of Maher's whole We're Still Here gambit is going to take.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Did Eva Longoria say more than 40 words during the panel?

Also, Bill doesn't understand why we fund NATO over the other countries. Don't encourage defunding NATO.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
yeah, i'm bretty, bretty annoyed that he continues his autistic obsession with identity politics and RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA.

i'll stick with jimmy dore for a comedian's critique on the democratic party in 2017.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

yeah, i'm bretty, bretty annoyed that he continues his autistic obsession with identity politics and RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA.

i'll stick with jimmy dore for a comedian's critique on the democratic party in 2017.

Seriously/ Identity politics have very little to do why Democrats keep losing. They lose because they aren't the party of the working class and don't really offer a credible alternative to the right wing.

Also, this whole "political correctness is running wild" is crazy exaggerated. I recall the tweets he showed had like only retweets in the thousands at most. Also the Redskins "study" is stupid because most of the responders are white people who are 1/53rd Cherokee.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

Source this claim

I'll do one better. I'll show you how the base is being influenced by the DNC and friends constant rhetoric.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/815256370958237696/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Source.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously/ Identity politics have very little to do why Democrats keep losing. They lose because they aren't the party of the working class and don't really offer a credible alternative to the right wing.

Also, this whole "political correctness is running wild" is crazy exaggerated. I recall the tweets he showed had like only retweets in the thousands at most. Also the Redskins "study" is stupid because most of the responders are white people who are 1/53rd Cherokee.

Democrats lose because people are stupid. That's the only reason. Our population is too stupid to understand anything. Let's stop trying to assume it's any other reason. We have 60 million voters in this country that shouldn't be allowed to cut their own food with a knife because of how dumb they are.

"Working class". Rofl, that's such bullshit and you know it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'll do one better. I'll show you how the base is being influenced by the DNC and friends constant rhetoric.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/815256370958237696/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Source.

Sure, there's no evidence for that specific claim. But by the same token, I've spoken to folks who are absolutely convinced that the DNC tampered with the vote tallies to help Hillary win the primary. I don't really think that proves much of anything except that people in general can be prone to conspiracy theories.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

Democrats lose because people are stupid. That's the only reason. Our population is too stupid to understand anything. Let's stop trying to assume it's any other reason. We have 60 million voters in this country that shouldn't be allowed to cut their own food with a knife because of how dumb they are.

"Working class". Rofl, that's such bullshit and you know it.

You tried way way too hard and made yourself way too obvious.

DaveWoo posted:

Sure, there's no evidence for that specific claim. But by the same token, I've spoken to folks who are absolutely convinced that the DNC tampered with the vote tallies to help Hillary win the primary. I don't really think that proves much of anything except that people in general can be prone to conspiracy theories.

While they're out there I'm not sure if :tinfoil: Sanders supporters make up a majority of his voters. But yes, conspiracy believers are out there, and likely make up a larger pie of the base for one's candidate than most are willing to admit.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

punk rebel ecks posted:

You tried way way too hard and made yourself way too obvious.

While they're out there I'm not sure if :tinfoil: Sanders supporters make up a majority of his voters. But yes, conspiracy believers are out there, and likely make up a larger pie of the base for one's candidate than most are willing to admit.

Wait, do you actually think Republicans win elections because they're "working class"? You know how insane that is, right? These are people that when polled think prominent Democrats rape kids in a basement that doesn't exist. Compare that to Democrat voters who think the Russian infection of our election was something it barely wasn't. Sorry, anybody who has voted for any Republican in my lifetime is stupid. There's no other reason. They're just dumb people.

And, it's not a conspiracy to understand how the primaries were rigged. Ballot boxes that were unsealed, Bill Clinton using his detail to prevent voters from getting to polls, actual media collusion. It's not a conspiracy when it happens. It's a conspiracy when it's made up.

Stop pretending this is still civilized. It's not.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I supported Bernie, and while I don't think the DNC's thumb on the scale was the deciding factor, they unquestionably tried to skew things for Hillary. Donna Brazile and Wasserman-Schultz didn't lose their jobs for no reason.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

IRQ posted:

I supported Bernie, and while I don't think the DNC's thumb on the scale was the deciding factor, they unquestionably tried to skew things for Hillary. Donna Brazile and Wasserman-Schultz didn't lose their jobs for no reason.

Well, actually, Donna Brazile absolutely lost her job for no reason. She lost her job because outrage of sharing debate questions that literally everyone has going into a debate, anyways. It was just that she was seen doing it. Well, at least her CNN job.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
did norquist get in his vaping reference like he promised on twitter?

i had to bail about 10 minutes into the panel because it was just too annoying

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't remember but somehow I'm not shocked to learn that that gasbag is a vape enthusiast.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

I will say this, though. The original theme had more of a rap/hip hop feel that I wouldn't expect would be fitting for a political commentary show hosted by a White Jewish guy. But it was catchy, dang it!

The new theme song was written by the same guy that did the old one. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0717212/

Super Deuce posted:

...the song sounds like an alternate reality version used for the darkest timeless episode of every sci-fi show. The set felt like the keyboard and computer case you thought were cool in 10th grade because of LEDs.

:lol:

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't think so. People were excited about Trump, or Republicans who would vote for an alligator if it said "Jesus" enough.

Theoretically, there may've been some payoff amount to make Trump go away. I'm not sure how many billions of USD it was though.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

This is going to be a hard season if this is the direction of Maher's whole We're Still Here gambit is going to take.

Democrats/liberals have the worst slogans. "We're still here." About as inspiring as an STD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Maher's new set has a spinning world globe. Just like Joel Osteen. Makes you think.

OK so let's take the viewpoint that Russia and Trump are best buddies. What does it even matter/mean for the country?

We're in the midst of some kind of political/generational upheaval because these last few weeks have had a lot of strange and impotent ideologies being thrown around. Typified by Olbermann shrieking that everyone should get on Twitter and start cursing out all Trump supporters. What a plan.

I'm reminded of something Sergio Leone (film director) once said: "Politics no longer make any sense in Italy!"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

I don't remember but somehow I'm not shocked to learn that that gasbag is a vape enthusiast.

it's nearly taken over taxes as his primary obsession

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zogo posted:

The new theme song was written by the same guy that did the old one. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0717212/

Oh, I'm aware. But that doesn't make it right, dammit it!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Did I see Tomi Lahren as a guest this week? Oh boy ....

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Did I see Tomi Lahren as a guest this week? Oh boy ....

That should be fun. She's always made a massive fool whenever she's not on rightwing friendly shows.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I liked her appearance on the Daily Show. "Well you know the KKK did have some good points too."

Thing is, while it's entertaining to see a host's slowly dawning realization that they're talking to someone at the very bottom of the rabbit hole, the utility is questionable. So long as you're willing to shamelessly lie, obfuscate and argue in bad faith & keep a straight face doing it you'll come out ahead in the eyes of the only audience you need to give a poo poo about. (It's not the show's studio audience.)

See also, every non-right wing media appearance by Kelly Anne Conway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
33% of the show spent on Islamophobia, and at least 15% on Tomi Lahren bemoaning the state of the American coal miner. That's an hour I'll never get back.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The only reason she (or any other attractive female) was on the show is because Bill is either actively tappin' dat rear end or he is desperately trying to. Too bad Matt Taibbi cockblocked Bill and Rob Lowe, re: Pussy Riot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Don't really have much to say about tonight's episode aside from the fact that Tomi barely said a word all throughout (which some might consider a good thing) and Maher loving up his own argument on the Supreme Court appointments. Whatever the hell Biden said in the 90s has ZERO relevance to what went on last year. Democratic majorities in the senate allowed both Reagan AND Bush I to appoint their justices. That's all that matters. It's particularly infuriating cause Bill's a pretty smart guy, yet he falls into these dumb traps constantly.

WaryWarren posted:

The only reason she (or any other attractive female) was on the show is because Bill is either actively tappin' dat rear end or he is desperately trying to. Too bad Matt Taibbi cockblocked Bill and Rob Lowe, re: Pussy Riot.

Eh, Tomi's a moron, but she's an incredibly popular moron. I don't think there's anything unusual about someone like her being on the show.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The real and disturbing highlight from the show is Maher's apparent master plan to get that Berkley guy on the show this season with extra security detail---there's walking the road to normalization, but then there's sprinting after it like an ice cream truck on a hot summer day.

Want to say there were some other cringing folk due up next week as well, but I was generally in a haze of head shaking by the end and OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Another disappointing episode, but hell...Maher still doesn't understand the difference between booing and the crowd saying "oooo" as in :iceburn: when a joke cuts hard. Its a loving compliment, but he starts cursing out the audience:"oh gently caress you, don't start with me", and "liberals are so loving sensitive". Even as kids, if you are putting down each other or making jokes on the playground, we knew the loving difference. You start to look as infantile as Trump when you curse out your own audience who isn't even against you because you are that sensitive.

And as for what Super Deuce said, yes: blue collar people voted Republican this time the same way they voted for Reagan in the 1980's: they were called "Reagan Democrats". You can call them stupid if you want to, but don't deny that blue collar people did it. Many of them in the Rust Belt states voted for Obama as well, this has been a major talking point since the election. Most people stayed at home on voting day because they hated both candidates. Bernie got hosed over which pissed off the Dem base, and a lot of classic Republicans (never Trumpers) stayed at home. Trump couldn't even fill his inauguration. People got off of their rear end the day after (and since then) to protest because they were frustrated at the system. Prominent Hillary supporters from congress jumped in for brownie points, and you can catch videos of Debbie Wasserman Schultz getting booed for pandering because they never would have showed up to a protest in the first place.