Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I saw it coming because they kinda waved every single flag in the world.

It really is sort of weird how like 2 dudes are the source of every single bad thing in the universe these days.

PEOPLE wanted an effective villain with a named character killcount beyond 1 good guy in a single arc, someone who wasnt a one dimension caricacture who eats babies for the hell of it and Tekkadan taking genuine losses and you got it this arc with the Teiwaz Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gyrobot posted:

PEOPLE wanted an effective villain with a named character killcount beyond 1 good guy in a single arc, someone who wasnt a one dimension caricacture who eats babies for the hell of it and Tekkadan taking genuine losses and you got it this arc with the Teiwaz Civil War.

I find both Iok and the Teiwaz dude to be cartoonish villains so YMMV. Iok is probably the closest in that he's completely incompetent in an understandable way but he's still staggeringly incompetent and bad at everything he does and does ridiculously excessively evil things almost entirely to drive the plot. On the other hand Jasley is second only to the Brewers for feeling like he could have walked in from One Piece or something. Of the two Iok is the way better character by far, mind you.

I am glad that Tekkadan appears to be being genuinely pushed and the fact this is the second season gives me hope they'll actually follow through on the consequences of this action.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 31, 2017

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Darth Walrus posted:

It's actually pretty simple. As we all know, the Barbatos's backpack has until now been a thruster flanked by two hard points for storing weapons (which are mounted on hidden sub-arms to easily place the weapons in the suit's hands). On the Rex, though, that's changed - the backpack is now a wire-guided, rocket-propelled stinger flanked by a pair of thrusters. That means that the mace is now stowed like this:

Notice how there are no longer any convenient sub-arms with which to draw it. That's where the ones mounted in the forearms come in.

That's actually point I'd missed. The subarms on the back DO seem to be gone now. The tail replaced the centerline thruster, and there now seems to be a pair to either side of it. So it'd need the subarms on the arms now, yeah. Good catch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I find both Iok and the Teiwaz dude to be cartoonish villains so YMMV. Iok is probably the closest in that he's completely incompetent in an understandable way but he's still staggeringly incompetent and bad at everything he does and does ridiculously excessively evil things almost entirely to drive the plot. On the other hand Jasley is second only to the Brewers for feeling like he could have walked in from One Piece or something. Of the two Iok is the way better character by far, mind you.

I am glad that Tekkadan appears to be being genuinely pushed and the fact this is the second season gives me hope they'll actually follow through on the consequences of this action.

Speaking of, anyone else notice Rustal laying down the law on Iok with just two calmly-spokem sentences? God drat. :stare:

"McGillis is investigating the weapons you took. What we need now is peace and moderation. Not your loving idiot stunts that make us look like psychopaths. "

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What Iok lacks in overrall cunning his pure zeal and charisma means anyone serving under him will die for him against his protests and will make good on the Kujan motto of crush the enemy entirely. A sane mind like Rustal would had thought of destroying the Turbines to weaken Tekkadan overral morale and potential allies in the civil war.

And the whole oncoming demise of Teiwaz is going to give power to the only faction left for Rustal to destroy: Gordon Nobliss and Montag and Gordon has been waiting for a slip up so he can claim it all to himself and Rustal has been eyeing him as a target since lately the independance groups are getting better armed and not part of mop up ops. The only ones that can oppose them is Admoss and no doubt we will be seeing Kudelia back to the warzone as Rustal puts Chryse on his crosshairs to kill the King

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of, anyone else notice Rustal laying down the law on Iok with just two calmly-spokem sentences? God drat. :stare:

"McGillis is investigating the weapons you took. What we need now is peace and moderation. Not your loving idiot stunts that make us look like psychopaths. "

Rustal is as big of an idiot as Iok if he thinks that Iok understood him

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Iok definitely looked pretty scared by it, but we all know that just means he's gonna double-down on something even more stupid BECAUSE HIS MEN ARE WATCHING HIM FROM HEAVEN! :qq:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He doesn't, he just hopes that it takes Iok long enough to spin up the hamster wheels that by the time that's done he at least can't gently caress up the current situation any farther.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Sandman posted:

He doesn't, he just hopes that it takes Iok long enough to spin up the hamster wheels that by the time that's done he at least can't gently caress up the current situation any farther.

I like Rustal's competence quite a lot.

There's kind of a question during the first season of how Gjallarhorn hadn't self destructed long ago, and Rustal is the answer. In addition to the self serving jackasses and the people who actually buy their own propaganda, there are men like him. The people who think the stability is worth the price, and who know what measures need to be taken to keep it.

McGillis and Kudelia have presented both the idealistic and the cynical side of "This system needs to go", but until Rustal, we didn't really have someone saying "But the alternative is worse." with any conviction. Nice to get that settled.

He's a bastard, but he's a bastard with an understandable agenda and a long career in building bastardry related skills. Really curious where it'll go for him and McGillis in the end.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iok definitely looked pretty scared by it, but we all know that just means he's gonna double-down on something even more stupid BECAUSE HIS MEN ARE WATCHING HIM FROM HEAVEN! :qq:

Iok sounded more like he wasn't sure what Rustal meant. That is, he's caught off-guard by Rustal telling him that McGillis now has a lead on him, but then doesn't get what he means about order and moderation. The fact that he thinks that destroying the Turbines means McGillis can't act freely on Mars alone shows that Iok doesn't even know what the gently caress he did. Jasley just pointed him at a target and he just declares that he's stopped McGillis' scheme on Mars. Dude think he's the good guy, exercises the power and authority of his office without a clue in the world, and then declares Mission Accomplished. He is totally going to gently caress things up for Rustal even more because he overestimated Iok's intelligence.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

gyrobot posted:

someone who wasnt a one dimension caricacture who eats babies for the hell of it

Motherfucker, Iok is team rocket with a bodycount and Jasley is a literal Dick Tracy reject, multidimensional these characters ain't

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I think Jasley was a really important addition to the show, to be honest.

From the word go on this series we've had it hammered into us that this setting loving sucks to live in. Human lives are literally treated as garbage("human debris") that are bought and sold for peanuts and significant segments of the population live as slaves for their entire short lifespan. It's a setting where it's considered kosher for a merc company to jab needles full of nanomachines into children to either turn them into conscript soldiers or cripple them permanently at a 50/50 conversion rate and the government is tentatively okay with this. The situation is so dire that the government sets up alibis to allow them to wholesale slaughter peaceful protesters and it's considered a major political victory for Kudelia to be allowed to give a speech saying "hey maybe mars should have the tiniest bit of economic independence guys". It's in this shithole setting where we're introduced to Teiwaz, the ruthless space mafia who have so much power in the outer solar system that they are a viable political counterweight to Gjallarhorn. They have their own mobile suit research and production lines and are a huge military power as well as an economic force. Surely a faction this powerful in a setting this corrupt and lovely has to be full of ruthless assholes, right? Well, no, because all we see of them for the series so far is Our Holy Saint of Selfless Charity Naze and his literal battered women shelter Turbines and Grandpa McMurdo, the leader who is portrayed as stern but nevertheless has a soft spot for Naze and Tekkadan and willingly gives them everything they want no questions asked.

Jasley, while certainly somewhat cartoonishly over the top, introduces the strain of ruthless self-interest that Teiwaz has been totally without up to this point, which made the organization feel less like the Space Mafia and more of a magical place where the main characters go to get anything they happen to need at the moment. Jasley is a huge dickhole who is eager to gently caress everyone over he needs to for self-advancement, and he goes about in underhanded, dirty, and merciless ways like you'd think a powerful criminal boss would. He honestly behaves like I had originally expected McMurdo to behave before it became apparent that McMurdo was just going to be The Nice Grandpa.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Jasley, while certainly somewhat cartoonishly over the top, introduces the strain of ruthless self-interest that Teiwaz has been totally without up to this point, which made the organization feel less like the Space Mafia and more of a magical place where the main characters go to get anything they happen to need at the moment. Jasley is a huge dickhole who is eager to gently caress everyone over he needs to for self-advancement, and he goes about in underhanded, dirty, and merciless ways like you'd think a powerful criminal boss would. He honestly behaves like I had originally expected McMurdo to behave before it became apparent that McMurdo was just going to be The Nice Grandpa.

What I like about Jasley is that at first he seemed content to just bitch about Naze and Tekkadan and try to undermine them behind the scenes. He thinks an all-woman group is a joke, he thinks the Tekkadan kids are gutter trash, and he thinks the way Old Man McMurdo treats those groups proves that he's getting soft. All of that is there from his first scene, but he's not cacklingly evil about it. He just bitches about it.

It's not until Tekkadan decides to become the King of Mars that he switches to actively trying to get them killed. And he has totally understandable reasons, if the Turbines/Tekkadan side becomes dominant in Teiwaz, Jasley is hosed.

Teiwaz was multiple groups held together by McMurdo, but Tekkadan hosed it all up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

That is sort of my problem with Jasley though.He's an example of the badness of Teiwaz but because of who he is it kind of boils down to making a 'bad' member of the space mafia to take their plot sins upon himself. It's sort of the same with Iok in that so much of the plot doesn't boil down to Gjallerhorn but to Iok and I feel that weakens things a bit with the themes the show is going for. I don't actually have any problems with what he did this episode (well, I mean, he did an awful terrible thing and is a poo poo but you know what I mean.) It's more than they tend to dull the edges off a lot of characters and rely on the "bad ones" to do a bit too much lifting. That's just my feeling though.

As I said I think this applies more to Teiwaz than Gjallerhorn which have the first season to back it up and because Iok is kind of better written in his extreme actions. In general I just don't think Teiwaz has been well-handled but maybe the next few episodes will change my mind on the payoff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 1, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

What I like about Jasley is that at first he seemed content to just bitch about Naze and Tekkadan and try to undermine them behind the scenes. He thinks an all-woman group is a joke, he thinks the Tekkadan kids are gutter trash, and he thinks the way Old Man McMurdo treats those groups proves that he's getting soft. All of that is there from his first scene, but he's not cacklingly evil about it. He just bitches about it.

It's not until Tekkadan decides to become the King of Mars that he switches to actively trying to get them killed. And he has totally understandable reasons, if the Turbines/Tekkadan side becomes dominant in Teiwaz, Jasley is hosed.

Teiwaz was multiple groups held together by McMurdo, but Tekkadan hosed it all up.

More to the point, if Tekkadan gets what they wants, there might not be a Teiwaz any more. Having the Gjallarhorn-affiliated rulers of a planet as a subsidiary body would almost certainly destabilise the situation. Yes, Jasley has his own contacts within Gjallarhorn, but it seems to mainly extend to informal co-operation between separate and equal bodies, not turning one organisation into a meat-suit for the other.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

Another thing that's pretty much up in the air without more info on the history of Teiwaz, but McMurdo isn't really blameless. He may very well be the guy who made Jasley his second-in-command, rather than it being an acceptable compromise in the theoretical transformation of various smaller organizations into Teiwaz. Considering that he's been depicted as a cultivator-figure, Jasley may very well be the sort of person he is because of McMurdo. Jasley being the bad apple of Teiwaz might not be a fluke, he might be McMurdo being too soft on a person he once cultivated. And now Jasley is looking to take his place, if not in public then at least in private.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Another thing that's pretty much up in the air without more info on the history of Teiwaz, but McMurdo isn't really blameless. He may very well be the guy who made Jasley his second-in-command, rather than it being an acceptable compromise in the theoretical transformation of various smaller organizations into Teiwaz. Considering that he's been depicted as a cultivator-figure, Jasley may very well be the sort of person he is because of McMurdo. Jasley being the bad apple of Teiwaz might not be a fluke, he might be McMurdo being too soft on a person he once cultivated. And now Jasley is looking to take his place, if not in public then at least in private.

It's been mentioned Jasley's got a lot of the other bosses in his corner.

Basically, right now it looks like McMurdo's gotten soft in his old age. He's the mob boss who wanted to go legit and got most of the way there, so now the scum that lifted him to the top doubts he's got what it takes any more.

And, judging by the latest episode, he don't.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Like I said, Jasley's and Iok's motivations are mostly the same. A new faction within an established organization is gaining power rapidly and they are afraid that they will be replaced. Its understandable why they'd act the way they do, but it doesn't mean they are right when the organizations they are part of can be pretty hosed up and are in dire need of pruning.

Also McGillis seems to have a thing for recruiting the most vanilla looking motherfuckers imaginable. Carta recruited blonde pretty boys and McGillis recruits the most average dudes you can imagine.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's been mentioned Jasley's got a lot of the other bosses in his corner.

Basically, right now it looks like McMurdo's gotten soft in his old age. He's the mob boss who wanted to go legit and got most of the way there, so now the scum that lifted him to the top doubts he's got what it takes any more.

And, judging by the latest episode, he don't.
McMurdo is basically done after this. Even if he doesn't get killed, his power within the organization is completely shaken and without him Teiwaz falls apart. I just dont see anyone filling that void.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also McGillis seems to have a thing for recruiting the most vanilla looking motherfuckers imaginable. Carta recruited blonde pretty boys and McGillis recruits the most average dudes you can imagine.

Carta was recruiting guys that reminded her of McGillis. They were a stand in because she couldn't have the real thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apprentice Dick posted:

Carta was recruiting guys that reminded her of McGillis. They were a stand in because she couldn't have the real thing.

that's one interpretation. The better interpretation is that Carta just lusts after young blonde men generally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

that's one interpretation. The better interpretation is that Carta just lusts after young blonde men generally.

No, she was obsessed with McGillis ever since childhood. They're stand-ins for him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

McGillis is conscious of the animation budget.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Pretty sure McGillis or Gaelio straight up makes a joke about the blatant stand-ins for him at one point.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The gundam valhalla topic was earlier but

https://twitter.com/mitsuhashi_t/status/825622984001884160

:kimchi:

Now I want to see an akihiro bearguy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The gundam valhalla topic was earlier but

https://twitter.com/mitsuhashi_t/status/825622984001884160

:kimchi:

Now I want to see an akihiro bearguy

My favourite touch is the little Akihiro phone charm on her belt :allears:.

Also they should totally do an Akihiro Beargguy. The line's silly enough as-is, there's no reason they couldn't.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
My GF made this when customizing her Petiteguy collection last year and has never seen IBO:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Kanos posted:

I think Jasley was a really important addition to the show, to be honest.

From the word go on this series we've had it hammered into us that this setting loving sucks to live in. Human lives are literally treated as garbage("human debris") that are bought and sold for peanuts and significant segments of the population live as slaves for their entire short lifespan. It's a setting where it's considered kosher for a merc company to jab needles full of nanomachines into children to either turn them into conscript soldiers or cripple them permanently at a 50/50 conversion rate and the government is tentatively okay with this. The situation is so dire that the government sets up alibis to allow them to wholesale slaughter peaceful protesters and it's considered a major political victory for Kudelia to be allowed to give a speech saying "hey maybe mars should have the tiniest bit of economic independence guys". It's in this shithole setting where we're introduced to Teiwaz, the ruthless space mafia who have so much power in the outer solar system that they are a viable political counterweight to Gjallarhorn. They have their own mobile suit research and production lines and are a huge military power as well as an economic force. Surely a faction this powerful in a setting this corrupt and lovely has to be full of ruthless assholes, right? Well, no, because all we see of them for the series so far is Our Holy Saint of Selfless Charity Naze and his literal battered women shelter Turbines and Grandpa McMurdo, the leader who is portrayed as stern but nevertheless has a soft spot for Naze and Tekkadan and willingly gives them everything they want no questions asked.

And he successfully uses their weaknesses to destroy the Turbines. Naze doesn't have the ambition to get to the top like Jasley did. He tried the Danslief trick with Orga and all he is getting is a 3 gundam response on Iok's fleet with everyone's having to ante up and Jasley is going to be greeted by Naze who isn't smiling one little bit with a gun aimed at Jasley telling him Grandpa McMurdo sends his regards to attempting to kill his oath brother

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also they should totally do an Akihiro Beargguy. The line's silly enough as-is, there's no reason they couldn't.
Why stop at just Akihiro? Do a full sub-line based on Gundam characters, like a Mikazuki one or even a Garrod one. Or even ones based on creative staff members like Okada, Sawano or Tomino!

...actually wait, Tomino Beargguy might be the final straw that makes him snap and go full-on berserk. Scratch that idea.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you know i realized, i cannot actually entirely eliminate the possibility that Vidar is just Carta with a voice modulator

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Or Iznario for that matter.

But really, too much circumstantial evidence points to Gali gali. Too much that it cant be ignored.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We have colour pics of the Bael. They're definitely going for an ultra-simple, clean aesthetic with this one, presumably to contrast the monstrous, gimmick-laden Rex. Even the colour palette is less complex. For the record, I still don't think those wings will make it flight-capable. They look way more like the Kimaris's space-use thruster pods than anything designed for atmospheric combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

you know i realized, i cannot actually entirely eliminate the possibility that Vidar is just Carta with a voice modulator

Technically there is nothing stopping Vidar from being any previously dead character + cyborg and a fake voice but it would be kind of a limp-wristed twist just to have a twist because none of them would actually change anything about the character.

Unless it's Biscuit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is probably really obscure, but have they ever done a "mysterious character" with the same VA as another person and not have it be that person? Clone Kyoji also counts for this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

This is probably really obscure, but have they ever done a "mysterious character" with the same VA as another person and not have it be that person? Clone Kyoji also counts for this.

Full Frontal, though that's naturally a plot point because "is he or isn't he Char?" is an ongoing thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Technically there is nothing stopping Vidar from being any previously dead character + cyborg and a fake voice but it would be kind of a limp-wristed twist just to have a twist because none of them would actually change anything about the character.

It's already pretty limp anyway assuming Vidar is Gaelio, given that it completely defangs an already fairly toothless season finale.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kind of hope they never come out and say what Vidar's deal is so we can at least pretend it's a little ambiguous.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vidar blowing up before actually saying anything or doing anything with his suit would be the capstone of him and eins saga.

Anyways, the name for the next episodes apparently came out but no synopsis like last time

Tabidachi- Departure or Setting off- Makes me think that this is where Tekkadan actually leaves Teiwaz, which probably means McMurdo survives tomorrows episode?

Kako no Jubaku- The Past's Curse- Something to do with the calamity war? Maybe someone's backstory?

On'na no Iji- Woman's Willpower (although it could be woman's disposition/nature)- Doubt its going to be about Azee or Merribit. Julia or Atra are good candidates maybe, Kudelia seems less likely unless she gets a bigger focus on the previous episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Vidar blowing up before actually saying anything or doing anything with his suit would be the capstone of him and eins saga.

Anyways, the name for the next episodes apparently came out but no synopsis like last time

Tabidachi- Departure or Setting off- Makes me think that this is where Tekkadan actually leaves Teiwaz, which probably means McMurdo survives tomorrows episode?

Kako no Jubaku- The Past's Curse- Something to do with the calamity war? Maybe someone's backstory?

On'na no Iji- Woman's Willpower (although it could be woman's disposition/nature)- Doubt its going to be about Azee or Merribit. Julia or Atra are good candidates maybe, Kudelia seems less likely unless she gets a bigger focus on the previous episodes.

We've got at least two important flashbacks to get through - what exactly McGillis's deal is, and what happened to Gaelio (which should hopefully fill in what exactly Rustal's deal is - for such a major player, we know very little about him and his exact reasons for opposing McGillis). As for 'Woman's Willpower', there's three options - Julietta finally hitting that turning point in her character development she's been heading towards, Kudelia finally making her move after being in the background nearly all season, and Azee making a big, dramatic comeback as the vengeance of the Turbines. I suppose it might involve Atra, but those three seem to have more pressing business to get to.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Azee should already be up in the next episode since we saw a hekija take point in the preview. And like I said, Kudelia will have to get some air time in the upcoming episodes to have an episode dedicated to her when it seems that the war with GH will probably take center stage after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

First I got mad about not avoiding the trope and stringing us along for a stupid romantic subplot that didn't see fullfillment. Then I got actually MAD.

Even if it is dumb I haven't been this mad about anime antagonists in ages. Ironically enough, the last time I legit got mad was with another stupid plot with another comically evil character.

All that being said, holy poo poo the pacing in this show is off. I marathoned the last few episodes because the show just got boring enough for me not to give it 20 minutes per week to watch.

Also, how the hell is Iok supposed to be charismatic to his people?

• Locked thread