Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Brainstorm w/me, CineD. I go by a single-letter name, and I'd like my Facebook to reflect that, but single-letter names aren't permissible on FB unless it's on your driver's license or some poo poo. You also can't use any punctuation or special characters. Is there some kind of workaround for this? And why the Zuck gotta be so fuckin lame? (I know why, it's because FB is an info vampire and they need actionable intel).

Legally change your name so that it's on your driver's license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
UGK single-handedly saved Texas. Fun fact: Diamonds and Wood is probably the song I've listened to the most in my lifetime.

Also, Z-RO's Mo City Don (Freestyle) is like the unofficial anthem of Houston, which makes that city better than most cities.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Snak posted:

My rice cooker used to make perfect rice every time. Then my fuckin moron roommate threw out the measuring cup that came with it and now it's basically worthless. I can never get the measurement right.

I have a cheap $14 Black and Decker rice cooker I've had for ten years. I've cooked rice, quinoa, grits, oatmeal, and even pasta with it. Don't even bother with measurements - just use the same cup/scoop/thing for the water and put just under twice as much as the dry.

Mine has a plastic basket to go on top, so I can put in some broccoli to go with some rice or quinoa.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lobok posted:

All these sides people are suggesting for steak assume it's dinner. What about breakfast? Do up some steak and eggs.

Protein with more protein doesn't alleviate the bareness, get some vegetables in the mix.

Also you're all cretins for not hunting, killing, and gnashing out the still warm heart of your prey, smdh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

Congratulations, daddy goon!

My cats almost never bite. One does occasionally if he's in that kind of mood but it's very easy to spot and avoid.

I'm in Rotterdam, as we are co-producing Rotterdam, I love You (part of the same series as NY inLove You and Paris J'Etaime); it's a cool city.

Why isn't it called Rotterdam, Ik Houd Van Jou (I mean aside from the obvious reason than no one outside the Netherlands would have a clue about how to pronounce it)?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The Mountain Goats aren't out of Texas, but All Hail West Texas is their best album.
So that sorta counts.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ok fine I made a Love Witch thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808786

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Skwirl posted:

Legally change your name so that it's on your driver's license.

Feels pretty unpunk to send FB my driver's license.

Also, the phonetic spelling of my name is in itself a different name (K. vs Kay).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

wyoming posted:

Protein with more protein doesn't alleviate the bareness, get some vegetables in the mix.

You have all day to eat veggies. If you're getting your steak on at 2am do what feels good, dude.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

wyoming posted:

The Mountain Goats aren't out of Texas, but All Hail West Texas is their best album.
So that sorta counts.

All Hail West Texas is like 60% amazing tracks and 40% boring.

Looking forward to seeing Darnielle at Targets this week. The guy's music communicates to the more difficult, eccentric parts of my brain in a way that isn't totally healthy (I find it kind of agitating and triggering even) but is really powerful regardless. I'd like to read his first novel soon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

How do you expect to get in a productive day of farming then.

The options for a greasy breakfast are drat near unlimited.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Breakfast food is the best food.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Snak posted:

Breakfast food is the best food.

My favorite food group is "dips"

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

phonetic spelling of the letter?

What if it's H?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

What if it's H?

Haitch

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

what the gently caress

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Samara crashes an airplane to kill two people who watched the tape. Gotta make it bigger!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Noice.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

That's British as hell. But kind of a rad name to go by now that I think about it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tenzarin posted:

Samara crashes an airplane to kill two people who watched the tape. Gotta make it bigger!

Now I want a Samara did 9/11 Truther film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tenzarin posted:

They play the tape on the Times Square jumbotron and she rampages through New York, crushing buildings and stomping on people.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They play the tape on the Times Square jumbotron and she rampages through New York, crushing buildings and stomping on people.

What I don't understand is how was the video shot? Someone happened to have a video camera on a tripod?

I haven't seen The Ring, but the whole premise sounds dumb.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Holy gently caress, it looks like the person that recorded and leaked the tapes of republicans talking in Philly about how they have no idea what to do after repealing Obamacare is a friend of my wife.

It's been a big day.

Way to go homie, enjoy child. I'm getting another one, first one is turning out ok so.

The problem for the GOP is that the the market exchange WAS their plan, Obamacare was a fiddled with rehash of a Heritage Foundation plan mooted by pre Stagflation Nixon 50 years ago. And their insurance and pharma backers are insanely pissed about losing the mother of all government supplements. They painted themselves into a corner.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If a dumb premise is stopping you from seeing a movie I don't know what to tell you.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

married but discreet posted:

If a dumb premise is stopping you from seeing a movie I don't know what to tell you.

I don't mind a dumb premise if it's handled right, but Rings looks kind of dumb from the trailer.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

What I don't understand is how was the video shot? Someone happened to have a video camera on a tripod?

The video manifested itself.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Egbert Souse posted:

Blockbuster video is that way

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good Texas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SE54MZOPGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmWIfvD_kn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6niPO-wKYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUC1TDPe0o

Egbert Souse posted:

She used her psychic ghost powers to create a VHS tape from thin air.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Samara's psychic power is to manifest images on tape and film. This was something she could do while she was alive. She could cast images into things. Possible even people (I think she caused nightmares). But now she's a ghost, so these images are haunted by her and allow her to manifest. It's not really that dumb, and I think it is kind of a cool twist on traditional haunting mechanics.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Egbert Souse posted:

It has literally been over a decade since I watched anything Ring related, but the haunted tape and the image of Sadako/Samara crawling out of a well are two separate, distinct aspects of the haunting - the haunted video that plants the curse in you is the result of someone building a house over sadako's death site and the ghost haunting the poo poo out of a VHS recorder, and isn't actually a depictional video so much as a montage of freaky poo poo. Samara/Sadako crawling out of a TV and glaring you to death is what happens seven days later when the curse has matured and the ghost can physically manifest in your presence.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It has literally been over a decade since I watched anything Ring related, but the haunted tape and the image of Sadako/Samara crawling out of a well are two separate, distinct aspects of the haunting - the haunted video that plants the curse in you is the result of someone building a house over sadako's death site and the ghost haunting the poo poo out of a VHS recorder, and isn't actually a depictional video so much as a montage of freaky poo poo. Samara/Sadako crawling out of a TV and glaring you to death is what happens seven days later when the curse has matured and the ghost can physically manifest in your presence.

This is also true.

edit: And remember, it's not just the VCR, it's everything. The photos don't come out. Her spirit is haunting that place, and it has the ability to influence images.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Snak posted:

Samara's psychic power is to manifest images on tape and film. This was something she could do while she was alive. She could cast images into things. Possible even people (I think she caused nightmares). But now she's a ghost, so these images are haunted by her and allow her to manifest. It's not really that dumb, and I think it is kind of a cool twist on traditional haunting mechanics.

Alright, that makes sense.

I was thinking they were doing something lazy like using b-roll for security camera footage.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
GARMANBOZIA

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

𝙶𝙸𝚅𝙴 𝙼𝙴 𝙱𝙰𝙲𝙺 𝙼𝚈 𝙶𝙰𝚁𝙼𝙾𝙽𝙱𝙾𝚉𝙸𝙰

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I like brown rice in theory but it just doesn't taste as good, what am I doing wrong?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I like brown rice in theory but it just doesn't taste as good, what am I doing wrong?

Eating it on its own, probably, put some beans with that poo poo

the actual health differences between white and brown rice are kind of marginal and rice on its own isn't actually that great for you anyway

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Alright, that makes sense.

I was thinking they were doing something lazy like using b-roll for security camera footage.

It's like, the images are a manifestation of her suffering, and she she can transmit them into various media. And when a person sees them, those images are now in that person's mind. Which gives Samara a link to that person and allows her to haunt them. It's a mimetic, psychic malware. I really like the idea that a series of images can "infect" a person. And a deeply disturbed psychic has created a series of images that functions as a rootkit to other people's perception of reality.

It's basically the opposite of that terrible movie "One Missed Call" that was one of many imitators of the The Ring. The premise of that movie is that, for some reason, the ghost leaves you a voicemail. Your phone never actually rings, because it's a ghost call, but a missed call and a voicemail appear. And once you* listen to this voicemail, the ghost kills you.

*It turns out it doesn't matter who listens to it.

The script says the ghost works one way, but let me break down how this ghost works according to the actual events of the film: The missed call part is accurate. That happens. But you don't have to hear it. One of things that happens in the movie is that someone's phone is in police evidence, and someone else listens to it. Then the ghost goes to the phone owner and kills them. But it gets better: The ghost actually has now limitations of power. Sometime it manifests as, like, a fuckin ghost you can see and tries to stab you with a ghost-knife. But other times, it can actually just final destination people: One character is killed when a freak accident at a nearby construction site launched a piece of rebar into his chest from a hundred feet away.

So the ghost doesn't have to call you, you don't have to hear the message, and then you just end up dying somehow.

While I might have accidentally made it sound good, it's loving terrible boring, because there's nothing to understand or figure out. It's a textbook haunting story, with a bunch of scenes designed to ape the feel of The Grudge and Final Destination and a gimmick like The Ring, but none of it fuckin works at all.

And this is an actual scene that happens in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dummM9M_0Qc
Skip to like 1:20 if you don't want to be bored out of your mind for... well 1 minute and 20 seconds.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Eating it on its own, probably, put some beans with that poo poo

the actual health differences between white and brown rice are kind of marginal and rice on its own isn't actually that great for you anyway

It's not that they are so drastically different in nutritional content but that they are metabolized differently.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Nothing. It's like communism it only works in theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I always wanted to read Ring and Rasen because from what I heard they're both extremely the sort of psychopunk horror genre you see in stuff like Tetsuo the Iron Man or Akira, just on a smaller scale

• Locked thread