Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lawnie posted:

The stream I'm watching must be behind because Yukuhiro has a stacked board against a clue and a thraben inspector?

i made that post 35 minutes before you saw it :p

it was in the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Better catch up on this, probably have the land for RB and Jund now, was originally planning a BG deck.

The deck name refers to Winding Constrictor though, right?

probably yeah

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I had a BG draft deck last night with two Winding Constrictors. If I mulliganed better I would have won every game. It was my first time playing with the card and it was absolutely insane. Almost makes me want to build BG in Standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shame on you, Lucas!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Count Bleck posted:

Shame on you, Lucas!

What happened?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

i made that post 35 minutes before you saw it :p

it was in the first game

I realized that extremely quickly. Game 2 of that match had a sweet ending with walking ballista coming down and going right to the dome for exact.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's a more general criticism here that AG brought up regarding vehicles, but there's something especially wrong about the skies being ruled by colorless (creature) cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lawnie posted:

I realized that extremely quickly. Game 2 of that match had a sweet ending with walking ballista coming down and going right to the dome for exact.

it was a very good match! both players were real good and played super well

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
so am i seeing this right that copy cat decks are getting udderly dominated, lmao

the world's most oppressive deck!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

Better catch up on this, probably have the land for RB and Jund now, was originally planning a BG deck.

The deck name refers to Winding Constrictor though, right?

Oh right, I got my snakes mixed up.

Ban all of them just to be safe.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

so am i seeing this right that copy cat decks are getting udderly dominated, lmao

the world's most oppressive deck!!

Yeah

Mardu Vehicles just ate it alive. Now what beats Mardu Vehicles?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
a lot of the creatures in mardu have 1 or 2 toughness, so i guess if anyone brought Yahanni's expertise they might do okay, although that doesn't stop vehicles so they still need artifact removal

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

a lot of the creatures in mardu have 1 or 2 toughness, so i guess if anyone brought Yahanni's expertise they might do okay, although that doesn't stop vehicles so they still need artifact removal

Right the fact that your creatures are also vehicles and planeswalkers makes it really tough to attack the deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah

Mardu Vehicles just ate it alive. Now what beats Mardu Vehicles?

x4 Ceremonious Rejection

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

What happened?

He tried to crew Heart of Kiran with Apprentice Engineer to crew Skysoverign with

Heart of Kiran needs Crew 3, apprentice engineer has only 2 power.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Marcio "accidental Hornet Queen" Carvalho might make it into the top 8.

Actually, probably guaranteed.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Is the twitch chatter where someone every 10 seconds is mentioning twoo a new trolling meme or are these people actual twoo fans?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Dehtraen posted:

Is the twitch chatter where someone every 10 seconds is mentioning twoo a new trolling meme or are these people actual twoo fans?

I have no idea but it's hilarious, an interview with him would make my day.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

It's trolling

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

x4 Ceremonious Rejection

Fatal Push, Shock, anything.

It's a metagame deck.

DoctorOozy posted:

I have no idea but it's hilarious, an interview with him would make my day.

He finished well enough he's going to keep getting invited to Pro Tours.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 4, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
BDM getting overly excited over seeing the same guys play each other every single tournament gets kinda old. It's basically just 30 guys playing each other over and over and over because the vast majority of PT fields are just fodder who don't have the resources to fly cross country for 10 days of extensive testing with other pros because they have to go to work.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

BDM getting overly excited over seeing the same guys play each other every single tournament gets kinda old. It's basically just 30 guys playing each other over and over and over because the vast majority of PT fields are just fodder who don't have the resources to fly cross country for 10 days of extensive testing with other pros because they have to go to work.

Is it a complaint that BDM isn't sincere? Or that the PT doesn't pay enough (so that the expected value of the tournament is above the value of work)? Or that the PT pays too much (so that people are willing to pay ten days of time to test)?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

clamiam45 posted:

Is it a complaint that BDM isn't sincere? Or that the PT doesn't pay enough (so that the expected value of the tournament is above the value of work)? Or that the PT pays too much (so that people are willing to pay ten days of time to test)?

It's that its dumb to pretend basically any match of any particular pros against each other is exciting in and of itself without taking into consideration what their decks are, because we see all these people play each other every tournament. It's like the same 30 guys over and over.

They should also just make the final round of Swiss untimed and eliminate the intentional draw in that round because this ID poo poo continues to be lame as gently caress, and becomes particularly troubling once you start officially sanctioning teams in the tournament.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo. Guy just lost G1 for Top 8 because he activated Needle Spire but forgot to turn it sideways during attack. Would've been lethal. Died the next turn.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Oh man, that guy blowing game 1 by forgetting to declare his needle spires as an attacker ( would have been lethal) then losing the next turn was brutal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Hey folks , anybody have access to the scg requirements for regionals this year? Supposedly this time they had a policy in place for space requirements that kept players comfortable. Once again, madness gave most players less than a playmat of space to sit and play. Myself and every person I showed up with left after 2-3 rounds regardless of record. Utterly a joke. You shouldnt have to sit at a table touching both your neighbors at an event you spent 40 bucks on. For reference, we have 8 people to what sits normally 6.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Uh, what happened in that round 15 feature match g1 2nd to last turn? Did the guy just forget to swing with needle spires and then say "whoops I forgot" after they had moved to blockers or did he try the whole "combat... activate needle spires" deal?

Brutal that he missed lethal and then died on the crack back

Edit -- thanks for the above folks for clarifying

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Uh, what happened in that round 15 feature match g1 2nd to last turn? Did the guy just forget to swing with needle spires and then say "whoops I forgot" after they had moved to blockers or did he try the whole "combat... activate needle spires" deal?

I think he activated it and just plum forgot to swing with it when declaring attackers.

Pretty brutal, especially if he loses the match.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dehtraen posted:

He activated but only turned the other creatures sideways. Opponent immediately moves his creatures up to indicate he's declaring blockers. Guy's like "Oops, this Needle Spires is attacking too." Judge is like, "I was watching and nope, you punted."

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

It's that its dumb to pretend basically any match of any particular pros against each other is exciting in and of itself without taking into consideration what their decks are, because we see all these people play each other every tournament. It's like the same 30 guys over and over.

They should also just make the final round of Swiss untimed and eliminate the intentional draw in that round because this ID poo poo continues to be lame as gently caress, and becomes particularly troubling once you start officially sanctioning teams in the tournament.

Please don't disrespect the Pro Tour circle jerk. You might not care, but others do.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

He just forgot to attack. Somehow.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think I would also be afraid to attack if I could get DQ'd for moving to the beginning of the combat step.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Definitely I agree it's dumb, but not because it's the same people each time. (I think it would be boring if there were new people each time.) I just find the personal drama stories boring in general and watch because the game is cool. Cedric Philips always has a really strong contrary opinion about this. He raves that the personal stories are what Magic coverage lacks, so SCG promotes those as best they can.

I wish they'd focus more on the technical aspects of the game and especially more on the metagame. But I get that people watch sports for team spirit, rivalry, etc. and not to appreciate how strongly the quarterback can spiral the football through the air.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

clamiam45 posted:

Definitely I agree it's dumb, but not because it's the same people each time. (I think it would be boring if there were new people each time.) I just find the personal drama stories boring in general and watch because the game is cool. Cedric Philips always has a really strong contrary opinion about this. He raves that the personal stories are what Magic coverage lacks, so SCG promotes those as best they can.

I wish they'd focus more on the technical aspects of the game and especially more on the metagame. But I get that people watch sports for team spirit, rivalry, etc. and not to appreciate how strongly the quarterback can spiral the football through the air.

I don't understand how this is supposed to be dumb in MTG but not in literally every single other sport/esport in the world?

Liverpool play Manchester United twice a year, every year and TV is going to hype the poo poo out of it every time. I have tickets to the snooker finals this year and I know it's going to be the same 8 or so guys playing each other like every year.

Having recognisable personalities and team brands is a big part of sports/esports and it's one of the things I think WotC actually does well. I will agree that early rounds could be given over to up and coming players and rogue brews but what is it you're wanting?

Edit: Sorry Clamiam, this was more for Grimace TBH

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
The answer is magic is super boring to watch.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

The answer is magic is super boring to watch.

The same goes for most sports tbh

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Most sports are fine because you can know what's happening without an indepth knowledge of the rules instead of there being judge calls for minutae that we have to watch get resolved for 15 minutes.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Limited is even worse because you have no idea what's in either player's deck to think about their lines until they play it so they do the draft vid and then you watch pros play with kitchen table decks with random trash cards for three hours.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

black potus posted:

Limited is even worse because you have no idea what's in either player's deck to think about their lines until they play it so they do the draft vid and then you watch pros play with kitchen table decks with random trash cards for three hours.

I agree with that TBH, it's also bad as it requires an in depth knowledge of every single card in the sets as well as the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

AceClown posted:

I don't understand how this is supposed to be dumb in MTG but not in literally every single other sport/esport in the world?

Edit: Sorry Clamiam, this was more for Grimace TBH

Yep, my stance is that it is dumb in every single other sport, but that's just my personal opinion. :)

black potus posted:

God limited tournament streams are so boring. I love it when the Pro Tour is east of me and I get to sleep in and miss the limited.

• Locked thread