Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

black potus posted:

Most sports are fine because you can know what's happening without an indepth knowledge of the rules instead of there being judge calls for minutae that we have to watch get resolved for 15 minutes.

the nfl does just fine actually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

black potus posted:

The answer is magic is super boring to watch.

Oh God thank you, I thought I was the only one who thought this. And I'm someone who still watches (goon) Let's Plays!

I'll watch people in between matches at the store but I can't imagine it being any fun to watch a tiny stream, especially with how much you guys dump on the coverage (and rightfully so).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 4, 2017

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Everyone who makes top 8 should react the way Lucas did when he won his match. His running off the stage cheering and hugging everyone was amazing. While I'm sure it makes his opponent feel lovely just the excitement and joy in the moment makes watching it way more fun.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

black potus posted:

Limited is even worse because you have no idea what's in either player's deck to think about their lines until they play it so they do the draft vid and then you watch pros play with kitchen table decks with random trash cards for three hours.

if you don't play around a card just because you haven't seen it then you are a bad limited player fyi

my main gripe about limited coverage is it's really boring to watch games get decided by mana flood or unbeatable rares/mythics, but all the standard matches I've watched this morning went that way so...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
well it looks like banning Smugglers copter is working out well for Mardu vehicles.

im going to have to slot in a lot more artifact hate into my SB.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
NFL knowledge required: guys are moving a ball to the other end and they hit each other.

Magic knowledge required: being able to identify little colored rectangles with glare over them with enough detail to understand why people turn specific rectangles.

Magic coverage would be greatly improved if every time you did a point of damage to your opponent you decked them.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

As someone who never watches NFL, to me NFL looks like a bunch of guys standing around and then someone throws a ball and they run around and then they stand around some more.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I love watching both. They are both more fun when you know the rules.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I want Magic to have more concussions

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

feature matches should be done through modo with decks prebuilt by coverage between rounds

I'm not even sure I'm joking

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Invent the Yu Gi Oh technology for real so that when you play copy cat out there are an infinite number of holographic cats to look at, also each player has to play with a duel disk.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

little munchkin posted:

all the standard matches I've watched this morning went that way so...

The only decks outside the main three that I saw all weekend for standard were RB aggro and the improvise deck first standard round. Outside of that it has been Mardu Vehicles or some flavor of GB/GBx snake with the occasional Saheeli deck getting completely crushed.

Really the most interesting moments were the judge call end of day one, the punt with the needle spires, and the (gasp) player interviews.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

black potus posted:

Invent the Yu Gi Oh technology for real so that when you play copy cat out there are an infinite number of holographic cats to look at, also each player has to play with a duel disk.

Only if you can make the Shadow Realm a real place.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Every LGS is a little gateway into the Shadow Realm on Friday night.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Only if you can make the Shadow Realm a real place.

Just add buzzsaws and you're there

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I just found out that the Simpsons did the Copy Cat combo first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Xg7QUXiDA

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

En Fuego posted:

I just found out that the Simpsons did the Copy Cat combo first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Xg7QUXiDA

the name in this very thread for the combo was Cat Lady and it is far superior to Copy Cat

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the name in this very thread for the combo was Cat Lady and it is far superior to Copy Cat

Not even close

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

black potus posted:

This would at least make MTG fun as hell to watch.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Elyv posted:

feature matches should be done through modo with decks prebuilt by coverage between rounds

I'm not even sure I'm joking

The entire Pro Tour should be done through MODO. I'm definitely not joking.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ShadeofBlue posted:

The entire Pro Tour should be done through MODO. I'm definitely not joking.

That would be loving awful.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Is Heart of Kiran going to be banned?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

goth smoking cloves posted:

Is Heart of Kiran going to be banned?

I sold mine. So yeah ban the poo poo out if it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I traded mine for like $25 in rares, it won't get banned though.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That would be loving awful.

Better than it is now. At least you would be able to see the cards as a spectator and not have 15 minute judge calls with language barriers. I should clarify, though, I think they shouldn't do this until they have a MODO team that can stay on top of bugs better than they do now.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

Better than it is now. At least you would be able to see the cards as a spectator and not have 15 minute judge calls with language barriers. I should clarify, though, I think they shouldn't do this until they have a MODO team that can stay on top of bugs better than they do now.

That's happened once in the past year that I've been watching PT's, almost every judge call happens quickly. I even play on MODO and would rather watch tournaments like the PT with physical cards.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Top 8 consists of 6 mardu vehicles decks and 31/32 possible scrapheap scroungers.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

AceClown posted:

I don't understand how this is supposed to be dumb in MTG but not in literally every single other sport/esport in the world?

Sports are one of the few ways that poor people and minorities can escape the cycle of poverty and bigotry keeping them in their current life situation. Lifting yourself out of that is very hard to do and inspiring.

If I wanted to hear the story of a fat white nerd who plays a lot of games and is bad with money while making 30-40k a year I'd look at my facebook posts.

e:

more seriously its just as dumb in other esports but at least they know its just filler and will immediately cut to the game when the players are ready

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 4, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

black potus posted:

Make action duels and action cards a real thing. I would immediately become pro tour level. :c00lbert:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"Sports events are only worth watching if I can tenuously link them to racism" is an interesting opinion.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Players walk into the feature match area with intros a la wrestling. We are talking the whole nine yards - lighting, fireworks, theme music, people holding signs in the crowd.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

"Sports events are only worth watching if I can tenuously link them to racism" is an interesting opinion.

Pretty sure stuffing that many words into that guy's mouth is aggravated assault there buddy.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sports are one of the few ways that poor people and minorities can escape the cycle of poverty and bigotry keeping them in their current life situation. Lifting yourself out of that is very hard to do and inspiring.

If I wanted to hear the story of a fat white nerd who plays a lot of games and is bad with money while making 30-40k a year I'd look at my facebook posts.

e:

more seriously its just as dumb in other esports but at least they know its just filler and will immediately cut to the game when the players are ready

But the original complaint wasn't about the filler, which I can see WotC lay on a bit thick and with poor production values, but about the same people featuring in live coverage all the time.

I mean I don't really care where he came from but I like watching Tom Ross play aggro decks, I like watching Yuuya Watanabe play but I have no idea of his back story and I'll always enjoy watching LSV play just for the lines of play that he can see.

I dunno, unless it's something I'm not getting it's no different to any sport/esport or any competitive scene in anything ever, even stuff like Survivor and The Apprentice have people rooting for favourites and it's bizarre to me that someone would complain about it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Dehtraen posted:

Players walk into the feature match area with intros a la wrestling. We are talking the whole nine yards - lighting, fireworks, theme music, people holding signs in the crowd.

I'd back an actual league with belts (for each format, tag-team would be 2HG, etc, and over the top commentators.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Dehtraen posted:

I would like both this, and proper sports commentary that isn't just describing the game since viewers can't see the cards.

"He thinks it's all over!" *Lightning Bolt* "IT IS NOW!"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dehtraen posted:

First time I went to a pro snooker game it blew my mind they do this (minus the signs)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
There are more Unlicensed Disintegrations in the top 8 than Heart of Kirans. Will both get hit?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

AceClown posted:

But the original complaint wasn't about the filler, which I can see WotC lay on a bit thick and with poor production values, but about the same people featuring in live coverage all the time.

I mean I don't really care where he came from but I like watching Tom Ross play aggro decks, I like watching Yuuya Watanabe play but I have no idea of his back story and I'll always enjoy watching LSV play just for the lines of play that he can see.

I dunno, unless it's something I'm not getting it's no different to any sport/esport or any competitive scene in anything ever, even stuff like Survivor and The Apprentice have people rooting for favourites and it's bizarre to me that someone would complain about it.

Ah okay, I read your reply as it was dumb that they were talking about player stories all the time. I don't have any issue with talking about pros and their play styles. The same core group of pros are always going to be in feature matches because they're the best. I just think it's dumb that they frame "is a good player that grinded some GPs, got some wins and/or top 8s, and made it to the pro tour" as some sort of storied path.

I'm down with them talking about Yuuya Wtanabe being a player that most pros find very intimidating to play against, Hoogland winning with weird brews, etc.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Balon posted:

There are more Unlicensed Disintegrations in the top 8 than Heart of Kirans. Will both get hit?

I can't see UD getting hit, it requires you to be in 2 colours and costs 3, however I'd have never had Reflector down for the banhammer either so I could be very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

The meta for the pro tour was tuned to be heavily anti-cat, IE all Mardu, no Fumigate.

• Locked thread