Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I just used the one from a tropical themed website and it worked alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TheRedEye posted:

As I've gotten older I've gotten more empathetic, I've come to understand that everyone has different perspectives and opinions and life experiences and that it is these differences that make life interesting.

...that said, I will never, ever understand the need some people have to be able to say they're playing an old video game "legally," and this is coming from someone whose literal job it is to re-release old games. Yes, by all means, support re-releases with your dollars if you believe in them, fill your consoles with old games to give yourself a convenient way of playing them, but if something isn't available, why deprive yourself of something that nobody is selling you? If a company can't figure out how to keep a game in print, the onus is on them, not you, to make a legal version available. If you want to play something, just download it and play it, that legal version isn't going to be better (in fact, it's going to be worse 90% of the time).

When I see people waiting patiently for Nintendo to release an inferior translation of Mother 3 instead of just downloading the drat ROM I kind of lose my mind.

Especially since you can play ROMs and ISOs legally! You just have to delete them after 24 hours. :v:

Speaking of ROMs:

TCRF posted:

At offset 7FFD66 there's some text reused from Ecks vs. Sever... specifically, a scene cracked ROM that one of the developers downloaded off the Internet:

MODE 7 BRINGS YOU ::: ECKS VS. SEVER (C) BAM ::: AFTER BRINGING YOU DOOM, HERE IS ANOTHER ELITE FPS A FEW DAYS AHEAD OF RETAIL. ENJOY IT EVERYONE! - REMEMBER TRUE SCENERS DON'T CARE ABOUT CRC'S AND UNTOUCHED DUMPS, THOSE THAT DO CAN gently caress OFF AND DIE! - OUR RESPECT TO THE FOLLOWING: CAPITAL . ILLUSION . AGGRESSION . ANTHROX . SNEAKERS . SWAT . MENACE . EURASIA . VENOM . LIGHTFORCE . OK! THAT'S ALL FOR NOW, SEE YOU IN THE NEXT ONE (DO YOU GUYS EVEN READ THIS FAR?)
So weird that it actually had to be verified multiple times.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zamujasa posted:

Especially since you can play ROMs and ISOs legally! You just have to delete them after 24 hours. :v:

Excuse me but you're allowed to keep them as long as you want if you own the original cartridge and system :colbert:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Yeah with that game I feel like they just picked the cheapest JRPG out there for them to license and thought "slap a fancy box on it and our nerd fans will buy anything lmao". It's not some horrible kusoge but definitely seems like something that should would have been a barebones budget release, if released here at all. On the other had I'm not a big RPG guy so maybe it has some hidden greatness that I missed because I've seen big fans and it even got ported to the iphone years ago when porting a retro game to the iphone was kind of a big deal

Vay has an amazing opener. It's the best part of Krull, but with mecha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7D_gRYZtI

After that it's only slightly above average and never makes good on the novelty of a fantasy realm battling a giant alien robot PROGRAMMED ONLY FOR DEATH. I think Working Designs landed it through Sega, who was closely tied to the publisher, SIMS. The game itself is the work of Hertz, a game-developing offshoot of a larger engineering company, and they also made Psycho/Psychic World for the MSX and Game Gear. Vay was their last game, though.

It's better than Albert Odyssey, at least. That's one game where the jokey Working Designs translation is pretty much the only reason to play it.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Only bringing this up because I saw this last week: not according to some of this

As interesting as the subject is, this reads like one of those obscure Wikipedia pages that someone turned into a bizarre screed just because nobody else bothered checking out an entry on Newfoundland trainspotting or the controversies of a 1997 anime convention.

It's better to let the examples speak for themselves and not lecture the reader on the meaning of translation. If someone's interested in the Japan-US changes for an old RPG, I'm sure they already know what translation entails. Usually The Cutting Room Floor is above this sort of thing.

TheRedEye posted:

As I've gotten older I've gotten more empathetic, I've come to understand that everyone has different perspectives and opinions and life experiences and that it is these differences that make life interesting.

...that said, I will never, ever understand the need some people have to be able to say they're playing an old video game "legally," and this is coming from someone whose literal job it is to re-release old games. Yes, by all means, support re-releases with your dollars if you believe in them, fill your consoles with old games to give yourself a convenient way of playing them, but if something isn't available, why deprive yourself of something that nobody is selling you? If a company can't figure out how to keep a game in print, the onus is on them, not you, to make a legal version available. If you want to play something, just download it and play it, that legal version isn't going to be better (in fact, it's going to be worse 90% of the time).

When I see people waiting patiently for Nintendo to release an inferior translation of Mother 3 instead of just downloading the drat ROM I kind of lose my mind.

People really do this? I remember how not having Terranigma in the US was the very thing that pushed me into emulating games in the first place.

I get why people might want the "real" game in a physical sense. When I collected stuff, a big part of the fun came from the packaging: the instructions, the usually goofy box art, the even goofier offers for Nintendo Power subscriptions, the Golgo 13 coupons that are technically still good today, and so on. Even a bare cart has something to admire from a design standpoint. It's a much more interesting chunk of history than just a ROM.

Of course, that was before prices went stupidly high and scans of covers and instructions became commonplace online. One of my favorite things about game collecting was that I could do it for cheap, going to flea markets and thrift stores and getting cool old NES games like Maniac Mansion and The Krion Conquest for $2 apiece. These days, it's a wonder when I see an NES game for under five bucks and it's not John Elway's Quarterback or Captain Skyhawk.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 3, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Vay has an amazing opener. It's the best part of Krull, but with mecha.

Yeah it does, I actually own the legit WD release and have gotten pretty far but at some point I just lost interest and quit playing

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

As interesting as the subject is, this reads like one of those obscure Wikipedia pages that someone turned into a bizarre screed just because nobody else bothered checking out an entry on Newfoundland trainspotting or the controversies of a 1997 anime convention.

It's better to let the examples speak for themselves and not lecture the reader on the meaning of translation. If someone's interested in the Japan-US changes for an old RPG, I'm sure they already know what translation entails. Usually The Cutting Room Floor is above this sort of thing.

I was thinking the same thing. But it holds with my rule of wikis: the people most likely to edit them are the ones who you least want editing them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm perfectly content to emulate anything and everything possible or use flashcarts or whatever but it still bothers me that so many legacy publishers/developers big and small are so inept or simply disinterested in keeping their catalogues in circulation by whatever means necessary - to go back to Mother 3 as an example, sure, I doubt an official localisation would match the fan translation but even so, it offends me that companies with the resources to make all their poo poo available to everyone ever can't be bothered to do it except as part of a value-add for some other initiative or whatever. There's intrinsic value to keeping these old games alive and I feel like the people who made them should recognise this more than anyone.

I'm glad we're not reliant on rights holders to gain or retain access to any of these games but that doesn't mean I don't want or expect them to try a little harder, or to at least cooperate with people who want to do the work for them.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm perfectly content to emulate anything and everything possible or use flashcarts or whatever but it still bothers me that so many legacy publishers/developers big and small are so inept or simply disinterested in keeping their catalogues in circulation by whatever means necessary - to go back to Mother 3 as an example, sure, I doubt an official localisation would match the fan translation but even so, it offends me that companies with the resources to make all their poo poo available to everyone ever can't be bothered to do it except as part of a value-add for some other initiative or whatever. There's intrinsic value to keeping these old games alive and I feel like the people who made them should recognise this more than anyone.

I'm glad we're not reliant on rights holders to gain or retain access to any of these games but that doesn't mean I don't want or expect them to try a little harder, or to at least cooperate with people who want to do the work for them.

I agree, if it was up to me we'd see tons of high quality rereleases like the recent Garegga pack (but with the game on a physical media otherwise wtf is the point) or Redeye's Megaman collection. The reality is though most old games aren't going to warrant that kind of investment to the people who make decisions like that and for the vast majority of stuff the best you can hope for is a barebones VC style release, if anything. Which is still good and should be encouraged, but holding your breath waiting for a perfect rerelease of a particular game you love that will itself be retro in 10 years is a recipe for disappointment

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a good way to tell if I managed to get my crt looking right after using the 240 test suite? When I was done using it earlier, everything still looked a bit too dark. Especially comparing the NES Classic game to the one on my RGB NES.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

Is there a good way to tell if I managed to get my crt looking right after using the 240 test suite? When I was done using it earlier, everything still looked a bit too dark. Especially comparing the NES Classic game to the one on my RGB NES.

Get a blue gel filter and run the SMPTE color test in the 240p test suite. Check the pluge bars in the lower right corner through the filter while adjusting the brightness settings and it should all be a solid color on the left and middle bars through the filter.

http://www.glennchan.info/broadcast-monitors/monitor-calibration/monitor-calibration.htm

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Captain Rufus posted:

I'd rather just see the drat WD games besides Vay get modern rereleases. Also stuff like the JPN version classic Wizardries and the like. I mean hell, where the gently caress is the arcade version of Indiana Jones n the Temple of Doom? Chase HQ? Aliens and Aliens vs Predator arcade?

So many classic games with no legal way to play them outside of people with big rear end bank accounts and a large space for moving trucks to back up.

Course I am still bitter over our lack of Cosmic Fantasy games too so maybe I am just odd.

Im pretty sure that is what i said that caused this line of discussion in the first place?

I want to give companies my money and I want them to keep classics available if at all possible. If they dont do what we gotta do ala keeping fan Nintendo creations spread out there regardless of what they think. Which in the current political climate is gonna be even harder most likely. Preservation is important even for lots of these lovely rear end f2p games. Need Silent Hills PT be mentioned? :smith:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I loving hate money.

Samurai Shodown 5 Special.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 4, 2017

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mister Chief posted:

I loving hate money.

Welcome to the club, the game is hecka good.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mister Chief posted:

I loving hate money.

Yay I'm no longer the crazy mvs guy of the thread 🙌

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Get a blue gel filter and run the SMPTE color test in the 240p test suite. Check the pluge bars in the lower right corner through the filter while adjusting the brightness settings and it should all be a solid color on the left and middle bars through the filter.

http://www.glennchan.info/broadcast-monitors/monitor-calibration/monitor-calibration.htm

Might have to look into that.

Surprise there wasn't some app on ios that does that function for you using the camera.

[edit]

Might finally got it configured right. After using the 240 test suite, I adjusted the color on some screenshots and the NES Classic so it looks like how it should, at least far I know.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/827775381981786112

Rirse fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Now, I may be mistaken, but I think Casio may have been involved with Headhunter somehow...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rirse posted:

Might have to look into that.

Surprise there wasn't some app on ios that does that function for you using the camera.

That wouldn't works for a whole suite of reasons, mostly due to the way that the camera collects light and has to be color calibrated itself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That Retroblox thing is going to be at the SoCal Retro Gaming Expo this weekend. If anyone is heading down there, I'd appreciate some firsthand info!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Hardcore Gaming 101 put up an article about the Trouble Shooter/Battle Mania games, complete with design documents for a third game that never got made. It apparently started as a Saturn and PlayStation title and was later pitched for the Dreamcast, but it never got off the ground. The docs have some interesting sights, though (and one hideous render of the main character).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something was bugging me about Headhunter's driving sections, aside from controlling like poo poo, and I've just worked out what it is while doing the License Tests; They ripped off Crazy Taxi.

No, really, the UI for the VR tests has the same overhead arrow and you spend it driving to get Jack to a glowing circle, stopping inside it to complete the fare trip.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

That wouldn't works for a whole suite of reasons, mostly due to the way that the camera collects light and has to be color calibrated itself.

You'd wind up with a white and gold Megaman...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something was bugging me about Headhunter's driving sections, aside from controlling like poo poo, and I've just worked out what it is while doing the License Tests; They ripped off Crazy Taxi.

No, really, the UI for the VR tests has the same overhead arrow and you spend it driving to get Jack to a glowing circle, stopping inside it to complete the fare trip.

And suddenly memories of which game Headhunter is come flooding back. If someone asked me to describe the most generic PS2 game possible, I'd probably come up with something pretty close to Headhunter.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

And suddenly memories of which game Headhunter is come flooding back. If someone asked me to describe the most generic PS2 game possible, I'd probably come up with something pretty close to Headhunter.

Throw in Winback and you'd probably attract some weirdo who hates the MGS series for some reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

The live-action news segments are such a weird thing, considering most of the time they cut to interviews with in-game characters using their CG models. I wouldn't be surprised if they take up most of the GD-ROM's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Headhunter was cool because it was one of those "wow I can't believe the dreamcast can do this" moments for me. It was also a "Wow I can't believe they built this amazing framework and forgot to make the game fun" moment

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Headhunter was cool because it was one of those "wow I can't believe the dreamcast can do this" moments for me. It was also a "Wow I can't believe they built this amazing framework and forgot to make the game fun" moment

I'm amazed they made a driving system with no reverse option.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Throw in Winback and you'd probably attract some weirdo who hates the MGS series for some reason.

I hate the MGS series and I can firmly say that Winback and Headhunter were not for me. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I hate the MGS series and I can firmly say that Winback and Headhunter were not for me. :v:

Same, not a fan of any of them. I can see why people like them, I just don't.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Headhunter is aggressively mediocre but eh it doesn't play terribly and there's stuff to like about it as a time capsule in a post GTA3 world. It also somehow got uglier on PS2 with all the shadows removed for blurry blobs but hey, that was Dreamcast ports at the time.

But really it was an exciting time for all these weirdo games from no-name companies before eventually the market edged out all the mid-tier developers 10 years later.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
RetroCollect just posted a story about new backlit GBCs being listed on TaoBao (that aren't the "GB Boy Colour"). It looks like the original hardware with a really sharp screen, and it seems to have the correct aspect ratio too. I really want one as my frontlit GBC looks like crap. Does anyone have experience buying from them? Should I just wait for them to eventually show up on Aliexpress?

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Got a link?

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/backlit-game-boy-color-handhelds-hit-chinese-auction-site-taobao.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Am I reading that right, it's only 710 yen? That can't be right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Am I reading that right, it's only 710 yen? That can't be right.

They used the wrong currency character, it's 710 Chinese Yuan, which is about 104 US dollars.

(The character used officially for the yuan is in fact the same barred-Y as the one used for the Japanese yen, but people don't tend to use it on the English internet due to the confusion it creates)

fishmech fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 4, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Pro-tip: don't buy Vizio if you want to use Retrovision HD cables. Fortunately still using my old 40" Samsung but it looks like the new 60" TV I got late last year will not be used for any retro gaming minus my NES Classic.

Unless I buy an upscaler.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just finished Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows, and I have opinions!

The soul system in this game felt even more cruelly grindy than any other portable Castlevania I've played. I recall it being kind of annoying in Aria of Sorrow when I played it years ago, but this game ties grinding those souls directly to weapon upgrades. That means for anything above about the third tier of weapons you have to get lucky with the right soul drops.

The map felt kind of clunky to me in this one, too. I think part of it was due to most of the "get someplace new" powers were only used a couple of times. There were huge chunks of the game where it just seemed to push you through identical blocks.

And that seal stuff was so early DS release it hurt. Let me fumble to pull out the stylus after I completed the boss fight, then complete a pattern, or I get to do the fight over again.

But still, it's a solid game. I can feel the portable Castlevania series getting long in the tooth in this one but at the same time it's been a while since I played one so that didn't bother me much.

Is it worth playing the game on Julius mode? Or is it just a slog to do that?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

I think I found my problem - SCART connector is indeed wired direcitonally - composite/audio left/audio right are in one direction ("out") , I should just have to rewire them in the other direction ("in" so component to pin 20 instead of pin 19).

FWIW the ebay seller I bought the cable from ("wookieewin") responded immediately and offered to rewire it for $5, all of which seems more than fair, so name dropping him here as LQQK A++ WOULD BUY AGAIN style recommendation.

Not that anyone cares, but to get to completion of functioning RGB on a sony PC1270 switcher.

I fixed the wiring above but still had issues. Finally tracked down the service manual of the RGB modules (IFB-11) of my switchbox which have a nice block diagram of its guts (https://falz.net/static/sony-pc1270-switcher-ifb-11.pdf). Sure enough, JP3 is labeled nicely:

I moved the jumper from SYNC to Video (I'm sending it Composite video to its SYNC input) and bam, everything works great. I guess we need an :rgb: emoticon. These RGB cards are now working great with Genesis, SNES, Turbo Duo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

falz posted:

I guess we need an :rgb: emoticon.

Can it be the Trinitron logo?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Random Stranger posted:

I just finished Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows, and I have opinions!

The soul system in this game felt even more cruelly grindy than any other portable Castlevania I've played. I recall it being kind of annoying in Aria of Sorrow when I played it years ago, but this game ties grinding those souls directly to weapon upgrades. That means for anything above about the third tier of weapons you have to get lucky with the right soul drops.

The map felt kind of clunky to me in this one, too. I think part of it was due to most of the "get someplace new" powers were only used a couple of times. There were huge chunks of the game where it just seemed to push you through identical blocks.

And that seal stuff was so early DS release it hurt. Let me fumble to pull out the stylus after I completed the boss fight, then complete a pattern, or I get to do the fight over again.

But still, it's a solid game. I can feel the portable Castlevania series getting long in the tooth in this one but at the same time it's been a while since I played one so that didn't bother me much.

Is it worth playing the game on Julius mode? Or is it just a slog to do that?
Julius Mode is better than the main game (which was already pretty great). As for grinding, did you get the...I think it was called the Soul Ring? Whatever the expensive thing was you could buy to improve the drop rates.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

RZA Encryption posted:

Can it be the Trinitron logo?
Original logo is pretty sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

falz posted:

Not that anyone cares, but to get to completion of functioning RGB on a sony PC1270 switcher.

I fixed the wiring above but still had issues. Finally tracked down the service manual of the RGB modules (IFB-11) of my switchbox which have a nice block diagram of its guts (https://falz.net/static/sony-pc1270-switcher-ifb-11.pdf). Sure enough, JP3 is labeled nicely:

I moved the jumper from SYNC to Video (I'm sending it Composite video to its SYNC input) and bam, everything works great. I guess we need an :rgb: emoticon. These RGB cards are now working great with Genesis, SNES, Turbo Duo.

NICE! But boo on not posting pics of it working and in action!

This reminds me that I should bust open the Extron 7SC I've got and see if it has any jumpers like that inside of it.

• Locked thread