Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It fixes the game in a whole bunch of ways. From Software basically said outright that they had no idea what they were doing with the PC port of Dark Souls and were only making it due to constant fan requests. One of the main problems was that it was rendering the game at a low resolution internally, so if you were running on a standard 1920x1080 screen it would be showing you a smaller image that had been stretched out. Also added options to unlock the framerate, change anti-aliasing settings, and a lot of other graphics settings which are standard with most PC games. As far as I know it was still functionally playable without DSfix, it just would have looked all janky for the entire playthrough.

A warning though: DS1's engine is so terrible in a particular way that the physics engine is tied to the framerate. So unless you enjoy occasionally falling through the world and dying with all your souls because your toe clipped too fast into a small hill, keep the framerate capped at 30.

From Software REALLY did not know what they were doing with the PC port. Seriously. The other things it fixes are fine (Follow the loving directions in the file), just don't jump the fps to 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's only really two things you have to keep in mind when running DS1 at 60fps: quickly sliding down ladders risks falling out of the world, and you jump a slightly shorter distance.

DSFix lets you toggle to 30fps on the fly with backspace so do that before attempting any long jumps.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This thread is making me grab the Phoenix Wright trilogy for iPhone - am I right in assuming they're the type of game that could be played on a phone without losing anything?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

food court bailiff posted:

This thread is making me grab the Phoenix Wright trilogy for iPhone - am I right in assuming they're the type of game that could be played on a phone without losing anything?

Absolutely, they're all text

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Alteisen posted:

Edgeworth is the best character in AA games and its a crime against humanity that Investigations 2 was never brought to the US.

What really makes him work as a protagonist in particular is the fact that he always tries to be logical and serious whereas most people in Ace Attorney are weird as hell, so he just constantly struggles to deal with everybody's nonsense to an even greater degree than Phoenix or Apollo.

I haven't tried that version but I don't see why it wouldn't work, they're 85% visual novels meaning they're largely dialogue and the gameplay parts are mostly finding contradictions in statements and selecting the correct evidence from a list.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Forgot about him :3: Wanna wash that sweaty bear and give him a little bow...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

From what I've heard the phone ports are looked down upon because of the redone graphics. If you could get a DS emulator on your phone it might be better to play the game that way :filez:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

From what I've heard the phone ports are looked down upon because of the redone graphics. If you could get a DS emulator on your phone it might be better to play the game that way :filez:

The trace job they did is kind of unnecessary but also not terrible. What happened to Final Fantasy 5-6's graphics on iOS was a travesty though. Like sure, give them a new look if you're adamant about updating it but goddamn if you're doing that at least make the awful thing HD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guy Mann posted:

Bounce into the android thread. anytime drastic comes up it just turns into blatant admissions of piracy for multiple pages

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DelphiAegis posted:

A warning though: DS1's engine is so terrible in a particular way that the physics engine is tied to the framerate. So unless you enjoy occasionally falling through the world and dying with all your souls because your toe clipped too fast into a small hill, keep the framerate capped at 30.

From Software REALLY did not know what they were doing with the PC port. Seriously. The other things it fixes are fine (Follow the loving directions in the file), just don't jump the fps to 60.

I've always thought it's really funny that people will complain that the PC port is bad because it's capped at 30fps and then complain even more that it's bad because uncapping the framerate causes massive engine issues. It's almost like it's capped for a reason!

IMO the Dark Souls 1 PC port is, at its worst, identical to the console versions (though it'll always run better in places like Blighttown); it just doesn't have anything that people consider necessary additions to a PC port like 'resolution options.' It's just a bit funny that it keeps getting held up as terrible because of that (instead of just bog-standard).

One of my favorite examples of actually terrible PC ports is the original port of Resident Evil 4, which among a lot of things actually shipped without a lighting engine:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I've always thought it's really funny that people will complain that the PC port is bad because it's capped at 30fps and then complain even more that it's bad because uncapping the framerate causes massive engine issues. It's almost like it's capped for a reason!

IMO the Dark Souls 1 PC port is, at its worst, identical to the console versions (though it'll always run better in places like Blighttown); it just doesn't have anything that people consider necessary additions to a PC port like 'resolution options.' It's just a bit funny that it keeps getting held up as terrible because of that (instead of just bog-standard).

One of my favorite examples of actually terrible PC ports is the original port of Resident Evil 4, which among a lot of things actually shipped without a lighting engine:

Christ, that's bad. I don't consider it a poor port, I just wanted that one poster to understand that if they do go back, they should cap the FPS at 30. It still runs fine, it's just a very dated game. The edition on steam is greater now, too; no GFWL bullshit, as it's all been stripped out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DelphiAegis posted:

Christ, that's bad. I don't consider it a poor port, I just wanted that one poster to understand that if they do go back, they should cap the FPS at 30. It still runs fine, it's just a very dated game. The edition on steam is greater now, too; no GFWL bullshit, as it's all been stripped out.

Except that the FPS issues make some QTEs impossible. There are workarounds but it sucks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I....haven't beaten it, but I don't think Dark Souls has QTEs, man.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm assuming there's a conflation between DS and RE here.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't dark souls just one big QTE game anyways? Press this QTE to dodge then this QTE to roll then this QTE to backstab oh you didn't push the button in time you got hit once and died GIT GUD

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

flatluigi posted:

People complain because it's a sign that the people doing the port just were either lazy or incompetent, a lot of the time fixing arbitrary framerate/resolution/control/graphic effects issues in a bad PC port is something that a single modder can do in a matter of hours. The port of Little King's Story is a great recent example, it's original launch had as ton of issues (locked to 30fps, analog controller input only recognizes 8 directions of movement, poor performance with a lot of stuttering on modern PCs despite being a Wii game, lack of graphical options like anisotropic filtering and dynamic shadows) that one guy was able to fix just by getting access to the game's source code and doing some fiddling.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Polaron posted:

I also love that they have no concept of ghosts, so their term for the Guardian's Ghost is literally "Dead Person".

Bungie's really good at stuff like this. Like when an Elite in Halo screams "I've been punctured!" when you shoot them with a bullet-based weapon because they're so used to energy weapons that they don't know how else to describe a hot piece of metal flying through them, or how they call their own grenades "flares" because of the glowing plasma so the regular frag grenades you throw at them are "demon flares." If I remember all the lore I read like 10 years ago correctly, most if not all of the Covenant species jumped straight from like medieval levels of technology to plasma guns and spaceships after finding Forerunner technology so they don't understand the technology in-between.

Biplane posted:

Yeah I love what story there is and spent hours hunting down all the Ghosts. Its weird to me that they don't hire some halfway competent scifi writer to pump out some Destiny novels expanding on the universe, like they did with Halo. I'd buy all of them :stare:

Same, but only if they brought Eric Nylund back.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Guy Mann posted:

People complain because it's a sign that the people doing the port just were either lazy or incompetent, a lot of the time fixing arbitrary framerate/resolution/control/graphic effects issues in a bad PC port is something that a single modder can do in a matter of hours. The port of Little King's Story is a great recent example, it's original launch had as ton of issues (locked to 30fps, analog controller input only recognizes 8 directions of movement, poor performance with a lot of stuttering on modern PCs despite being a Wii game, lack of graphical options like anisotropic filtering and dynamic shadows) that one guy was able to fix just by getting access to the game's source code and doing some fiddling.

I was talking about the specific case of Dark Souls 1 where it's capped because the game's engine was built around 30fps and uncapping it actually does cause issues in ways that modders haven't been able to fix even this long after release (adding a keybind to turn the limiting back on is a workaround, not a fix). It's not uncommon to have other issues arise from removing framerate limits, too -- what might not come up on a console might result in serious racing problems in code once the logic can run without restraint.

That's, of course, ignoring that a 30fps lock is generally only such a major issue because people make it a major issue -- games do look better with higher framerates (and higher resolution), but when people are making loving watchdog groups to complain that TCGs and turn based RPGs are capped you know things have been run too far into the ground. Personally I'd much rather play a game at a locked, constant FPS than a game with unlocked FPS that ends up bouncing up and down frequently, and I'd bet a lot of other people would agree.

Also, uh, I don't know how you can read the post you linked about Little King's Story and categorize the intensive work Durante did as just "some fiddling." He even outright says that having the framerate capped lower fixed required some serious coding to change, that uncapping it would require rewriting "a significant portion of the entire game's ~1 million line codebase," and that it explicitly wasn't a case of being, as you put it, "lazy or incompetent:"

quote:

Issues with 60 FPS

Offering 60 FPS - or, much better, support for completely arbitrary framerates - is a common demand for PC versions of games, and one I fully agree with. In quite a few cases where it is not offered, mods later demonstrated that the effort to do so would have been very small for the developer, and that the only reason it was not provided is a lack of care for the PC version.

Little King’s Story is not such a case. There are many reasons for this, here are just a small subset of them:

1. The game does not have a unified system for handling time or animation speed. Many modules act independently of each other, and often time-specific information is encoded in places where it would not be expected.

2. The central NPC simulation code assumes that it can pre-compute how long it will take (in frames) for an NPC to complete an action, such as moving to another location.

3. Some bosses, enemies and scenes are moved or designed in custom scripts, which use a custom virtual machine and instruction set that is not intended to share framerate information.

My initial goal was to provide arbitrary framerate support, but point 2 in the list above makes that an infeasible goal. It would basically require rewriting large parts of the simulation, which makes up a significant portion of the entire game’s ~1 million line codebase. Given that, I shifted to the goal of making locked 60 FPS work as well as possible.

The original port fixed the speed of most NPC animation sequences, but left many other hardcoded animations, and even the gameplay-relevant time progression rate untouched at 60 FPS (resulting in double speed).

I employed a side-by-side 60/30 FPS setup as shown above, and chipped away at framerate-dependent speed mismatches little by little. In the end, I managed to fix the simulation speed, the speed of many hardcoded object animations (such as trees or grass), and the movement speed of NPCs and animals.

However, the custom scripting system used for some boss battles and scripted scenes, point (3) in the list above, still prevents the 60 FPS mode from being perfect throughout the game. However, unlike the initial release, 60 FPS is playable (and a huge improvement in smoothness) during the majority of the gameplay. As a workaround for the remaining situations, I’ve implemented a 30 FPS toggle for the 60 FPS mode, which is engaged using the “F1” key. Note that this comes with some issues due to point (2) above: animations already in progress at the moment the framerate is toggled will run at an incorrect speed until the next movement starts.

The article's a good read, though, so thanks for that at least.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

flatluigi posted:

Also, uh, I don't know how you can read the post you linked about Little King's Story and categorize the intensive work Durante did as just "some fiddling." He even outright says that having the framerate capped lower fixed required some serious coding to change, that uncapping it would require rewriting "a significant portion of the entire game's ~1 million line codebase," and that it explicitly wasn't a case of being, as you put it, "lazy or incompetent:"

That was regarding having a completely uncapped framerate that could be set to any arbitrary number, he was able to get 60fps support (which is what most people want) by messing with some animation timers.

And yeah, Durante is almost always a great read. He's also done articles praising Valkyria Chronicles and condemning Tales of Symphonia.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Wasn't that the same port that also shipped with no gamepad or mouse support so the only controls were keyboard? Like you had to aim your gun with WASD?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Wasn't that the same port that also shipped with no gamepad or mouse support so the only controls were keyboard? Like you had to aim your gun with WASD?

Gamepad almost makes since because early 2007 PC games weren't quite as open to the idea of lowering themselves to the level of console shitlords and using controllers. But there's no excuse for the mouse.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I got that game in a bundle, installed it because everyone in this thread was always raving about it, took one look at the control scheme and uninstalled it.

Avulsion has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Feb 4, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

maybe you should have taken multiple looks

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Two buttons needed to reload a gun? :psyduck:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it seems weird but that's how's it's always been. Think of it in terms of "hold right trigger to enter Shoot Mode", it's not like a fps where Shoot Mode is your default state

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

graybook posted:

That's good to know.
Going through the first Investigations game now and it's very interesting; Edgeworth's Logic feature is cool, but everyone looks like a mouth breathing idiot in comparison.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Babe Magnet posted:

it seems weird but that's how's it's always been. Think of it in terms of "hold right trigger to enter Shoot Mode", it's not like a fps where Shoot Mode is your default state

I don't mind having to push a button to aim, my main concern is being forced to use tank steering in a game where I'm expected to run away from zombies.

My favorite little thing in games is being able to completely remap a controller, even if it requires fiddling with .ini files. I've got nerve damage in my left hand and it makes some actions difficult or downright impossible to perform. Arkham City was a nightmare until I managed to find the right configuration file and move all the important actions over to the right side of the controller.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
1. there was a more recent port of Resident Evil 4 that's apparently much better and if you got it in a bundle recently that's probably the one you had
2. you can now rebind pretty much any controller through Steam, just like you would a regular Steam controller and that's pretty cool

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

flatluigi posted:

2. you can now rebind pretty much any controller through Steam, just like you would a regular Steam controller and that's pretty cool

I did not know this, thank you!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, you hold a button to pullout your gun to aim and while doing that you can tap a button to reload. RE4's control scheme is different but the entire game is built around it and the methodical aiming and movrment it encourages, having non-tank controls or strafing or the ability to move and aim at the same time would break the game wide open.

Even the current PC version's mouse aim and the Wii versions lightgun-style aiming are an added advantage over the original game's analog stick aiming, though the game's dynamic difficulty does a good job with adjusting to it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Souls 2 had some problems with 60 fps as well, weapons would wear out much faster for some reason, the problem still persisted even in the re-release.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the exact problem was that it registered multiple hits due to the frame rate - even moreso on dead enemies, weirdly - so your weapon was losing durability for an entire attack chain when you only hit once or twice. It was eventually fixed but made weapon management much fiddlier than it had to be.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No, wait!

The phone version of the Trilogy is garbage. The sprites have lots of tearing and lost a lot of animation, and there are lots of text errors. There's an image with a bunch of examples but I wouldn't link it even if I wasn't on phone because it spoils one of the last parts of AA1.

If you have a 3DS that port is fine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alteisen posted:

Dark Souls 2 had some problems with 60 fps as well, weapons would wear out much faster for some reason, the problem still persisted even in the re-release.

It didn't actually persist in the re-release. They took a look at the problem, all the complaining and hatred and decided "Lets keep this, this is cool" and separated the weapon degradation from the frame cap so even if you went back down to 30FPS manually, you would still lose a ton of durability flailing your sword around like a moron. Console players were very, very upset and I won't lie, I giggled reading all of the posts complaining about it on other forums. So it became a feature, not a bug.

Guy Mann posted:

People complain because it's a sign that the people doing the port just were either lazy or incompetent
But again, the entire story with the Dark Souls PC port, was that they admitted it was probably going to be poo poo, they didn't know what they were doing and only made it because people were basically begging them for a PC port. A port that, by and large, is actually fine and perfectly playable as long as you don't try to use keyboard and mouse. But people will bitch and moan about it like it's the single most broken port ever released when, as pointed out by the RE4 images up there, lack of options and general ineptitude and inexperience doesn't even scratch the barrel of lovely ports. Basically every pre-DMC4 capcom port ranged from poo poo to unplayable. DMC3's PC port was awful too. Deadly Premonition's PC port is an awful port of a bad port of a game that was already janky so it's three layers of hosed up. But it's Dark Souls that I keep seeing make "worst ports ever!11!" lists.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

nah they knew what they were doing but fans asked them to rush it, if I recall. It mostly works fine though.

Alteisen posted:

I thought that was specifically fixed in the re-release.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Capcom's PC ports really used to be so bad. I had Mega Man Legends for the PC and none of the animations matched the sound properly and you needed to ctrl+alt+del to quit the game.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Capcom's PC ports really used to be so bad. I had Mega Man Legends for the PC and none of the animations matched the sound properly and you needed to ctrl+alt+del to quit the game.

Wait, you could play MML on PC?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Because of this thread I finally bought Bloodborne (it was only like 17 bucks why not). Will report back on my findings. Never really played a Souls game after Demon so I don't know what to expect but I'm guessing blood and birth?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Wait, you could play MML on PC?

Yeah, kind of. The graphics were crisper like the Mega Man 64 port but the voices don't sync right during cutscenes (although honestly I think a later pressing of the PSOne disc does the same thing), and like I said there was no way to quit the game normally (since on the console you'd just flip the power switch).

I think Japan got a port of MML2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Push El Burrito posted:

Because of this thread I finally bought Bloodborne (it was only like 17 bucks why not). Will report back on my findings. Never really played a Souls game after Demon so I don't know what to expect but I'm guessing blood and birth?

Keep us up to date. Let us know if you have any trouble, I'm pretty sure people will be willing to offer advice.