Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I think his motivations will get more interesting when we find out more of his backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

I think his motivations will get more interesting when we find out more of his backstory.

Well, I think we already have most of it; doesn't he think that heroes failed to save him from a situation (which is where All for One swept in, despite being the cause of the situation in the first place) and feels that heroes are a negative influence because everyone relies on them, leaving people who they don't save falling through the cracks? Which might be a compelling motivation if he wasn't also clearly evil and explicitly enjoys violence for the sake of violence.

I mean, I don't have a problem with enemies who are actually evil. I just feel like MHA is a setting that would uniquely benefit from having a villain with a morally grey motivation.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, so if it works through clothes it seems like it should also be able to dissolve the entire planet if you touch the ground. Or you should at least be able to do ridiculous poo poo like touch a street and destroy the entire length of the street (or take down an entire skyscraper).

edit: The one issue I have with Shigaraki narrative-wise is that his motivations aren't very interesting or persuasive. I feel like there's a lot of room for morally grey villains in the MHA universe, but all the ones we've seen are definitely evil dudes.

Does Knuckleduster count as a morally gray villain?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, so if it works through clothes it seems like it should also be able to dissolve the entire planet if you touch the ground. Or you should at least be able to do ridiculous poo poo like touch a street and destroy the entire length of the street (or take down an entire skyscraper).

edit: The one issue I have with Shigaraki narrative-wise is that his motivations aren't very interesting or persuasive. I feel like there's a lot of room for morally grey villains in the MHA universe, but all the ones we've seen are definitely evil dudes.

Twice is pretty morally gray; he's a poor guy who's mad and fell through the cracks, and into the VA's lap as the closest thing to a support group he has.

As for Shigaraki, there's probably some limit on his power; looking back at the Yueii gate, it seems to spread quite a bit, but clearly doesn't just go forever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking at the damage he did to Aizawa. The damage he did to him was a blinks worth.

Aizawa blinked when Shigaraki touched his elbow and all the damage his elbow took was the split seconds blink worth. So yeah it's really fast acting.

Ytlaya posted:

The it seems that the stuff has to actually be connected to be affected by the disintegration. After his first defeat he started scratching his floor in irritation but it did not crumble despite all 5 fingers being on it. This is probably because the floor boards were separate. Plus from him destroying the gate it appears that the crumbling stops at a certain point.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 3, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

does shigarakis power work on himself

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LolitaSama posted:

Is season 1 of the anime worth watching or should I go into this through the manga first and then check out the anime if I want more??
The first season is a goddamn near page-for-page recreation of the first couple of arcs from the manga, with all the pacing details that entails. It's extremely faithful but a pretty slow burn early on.

I'd recommend reading the manga then if you're like, "Yeah I'd like to hear the characters voice-acted and see these scenes in motion" then watch the anime. So far it's really been a series for the manga readers.

Edit: I just realized Mirio is probably in some deep poo poo narrative-wise if he's going to be interning beside Midoriya with "Sir" or whomever it is. Overhaul has a death-touch quirk, Mirio's gimmick is being nearly impossible to touch, and at least one of Overhaul's goons has a quirk suppressing dart.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 3, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

If twice clones can use weaker versions of the original's power, a clone of shiggy would still be a very quick and nasty killer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want to know more about "Sir". "Sir" is a funny hero name, and he seems like some sort of genius organizer or something. I wonder how he became All Might's sidekick also.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

where the red fern gropes posted:

Probably. But I doubt Shigaraki would risk trying to find out. He is always very careful not to touch things he does not want to destroy with all of his fingers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy gently caress that chapter owned

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

I'm going to go with no since it almost certainly manifested when he was a toddler and he self-evidently managed to avoid killing himself.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Maybe he's so mad because he melted his dick by accident. Till we see proof that he has a dick, you can't disprove this theory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agnostalgia posted:

I'm going to go with no since it almost certainly manifested when he was a toddler and he self-evidently managed to avoid killing himself.

They tend not to manifest until around 4.

And he may have accidentally killed his dad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If nothing else if they ever reveal it works on himself it'll be during the never-take-me-alive moment when he inevitably loses

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mindblast posted:

If twice clones can use weaker versions of the original's power, a clone of shiggy would still be a very quick and nasty killer.

There's no way shigaraki lets himself be cloned - the clones aren't things you mind control or boss around, they have agency and the lsat thing the VA needs is another fully aware shigaraki. yeah he'd go down fast if there was a problem but all it takes is a single Bad Touch to remove one of them from existence

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah not everyone is cool with being cloned. Dabi was cloned(twice!) and there wasn't any problems(even willing to go on "suicide" missions) so we can see that he's very committed to the villain alliance.

Also remember that Double can only make 1 clone at a time. He's only able to clone himself infinitely because each clone can also make 1 clone.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seems pretty likely to me that Shigaraki will end up being redeemed, for the extremely simple reason that this is a fundamentally idealistic story where the possibility of him being redeemed has been raised (also, because it's something All Might never did for All for One, and Deku needs more ways to surpass his mentor). It probably won't happen for a very long time, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Yeah not everyone is cool with being cloned. Dabi was cloned(twice!) and there wasn't any problems(even willing to go on "suicide" missions) so we can see that he's very committed to the villain alliance.

Also remember that Double can only make 1 clone at a time. He's only able to clone himself infinitely because each clone can also make 1 clone.

His name is Twice not double.

Darth Walrus posted:

Seems pretty likely to me that Shigaraki will end up being redeemed, for the extremely simple reason that this is a fundamentally idealistic story where the possibility of him being redeemed has been raised (also, because it's something All Might never did for All for One, and Deku needs more ways to surpass his mentor). It probably won't happen for a very long time, though.

This was brought up and shot down quite well.

Shigaraki is a murderer and has masterminded numerous crimes that have endangered a lot of lives. He has also shown no remorse for his actions and did them all willingly. Shigaraki is a dangerous criminal and no matter what happens in the series will need to be punished for his actions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The common cop-out in this sort of situation is for him to realize the error of his ways and sacrifice himself for the greater good in some situation. This allows the character to be "redeemed" without needing to tackle the hairy questions of "but he's committed a bunch of terrible crimes and still needs to be punished."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ytlaya posted:

The common cop-out in this sort of situation is for him to realize the error of his ways and sacrifice himself for the greater good in some situation. This allows the character to be "redeemed" without needing to tackle the hairy questions of "but he's committed a bunch of terrible crimes and still needs to be punished."

That seems too generic. I think it's more likely he's going to get swallowed up by something bigger than he is. As the plague doctor guy, and people in this topic, pointed out. His society isn't poo poo, they've gotten their reputation because of stain and all for one and it's calling down not just the big heroes but other villains now. It's going to bite him in the rear end.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
To oversimplify, Shigaraki is finding out he was a big fish in a very small pond, and now that he's been dumped in the ocean, he's going to have to either get smart, or get dead.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was brought up and shot down quite well.

Shigaraki is a murderer and has masterminded numerous crimes that have endangered a lot of lives. He has also shown no remorse for his actions and did them all willingly. Shigaraki is a dangerous criminal and no matter what happens in the series will need to be punished for his actions.

It's not that he needs to be punished, but All Might sees him as his master's grandson now, which precludes dealing with his villainy. The point of that scene wasn't "Shigaraki's pure evil and needs to die", it was "All Might, you're not allowed to be involved now because you'll just get yourself killed treating someone who was brainwashed to hate you like a kid, you big stupid softy".

I'm not saying Shigaraki's redemption is guaranteed, just that it's possible. That scene there in particular isn't evidence against it. Though it does hurt the idea of Shigaraki eventually killing All Might since they aren't letting the latter go after him... But then again, Shigaraki could target him, or he could just not listen because he's All Might and he does dumb things like that sometimes.

Whatever. My point is that Gran Torino telling All Might off isn't proof of where the narrative will go.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya is definitely going to save Shigaraki.

Nana specifically says that she thinks the real part of being a hero is "Saving people's hearts".

So yeah, he'll do that. This series isn't really subtle about this sort of stuff.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Shigaraki is going to be saved and team up with Midoriya to fight a greater threat but after they beat it they're going to fight one last time and blow each others arms off and fall over and their blood from their arms and their bodies will make a heart.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Work Friend Keven posted:

Shigaraki is going to be saved and team up with Midoriya to fight a greater threat but after they beat it they're going to fight one last time and blow each others arms off and fall over and their blood from their arms and their bodies will make a heart.
And after a whole series of Shigaraki trying to murder him and everyone he loves to varying degrees of success, Midoriya will declare Shigaraki his "best friend".

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Shigaraki is the best friend, who is the Coolest Guy?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hate-Senpai posted:

Cold Hotsman.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

All For One.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Still can't believe this actually happened.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RatHat posted:

Really? The entire series was basically him going "I hate you and will literally kill you the second I get the chance" and Naruto going "But we're bffs and barely surviving the latest murder attempt"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

The heart was a photoshop.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

Stain, canonically.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Disagree.

A giant meteor will be heading towards UA. Can't Stop Twinkling will shoot his naval laser at it, but it will fail to do anything. Then Snipe will try and shoot it with a gun put together by Mei, but that will also fail. Then, when all seems hopeless, Deku will show up and punch Shigaraki into the meteor, causing it to disintegrate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gyges posted:

A giant meteor will be heading towards UA. Can't Stop Twinkling will shoot his naval laser at it, but it will fail to do anything. Then Snipe will try and shoot it with a gun put together by Mei, but that will also fail. Then, when all seems hopeless, Deku will show up and punch Shigaraki into the meteor, causing it to disintegrate.
Armageddon Smash

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gyges posted:

Disagree.

Deku would never kill someone.

Does Shigaraki's hands need to be attached to his body for the power to still work?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Remember the comic someone made where Bakugou makes Uraraka anti-grab him so he can fly away like a rocket? That, but Bakugou and Deku becoming a two-stage rocket. Deku tosses Bakugou and Shigraraki as hard as he can, then Bakugou blasts Shikaragi the rest of the way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Slime posted:

Remember the comic someone made where Bakugou makes Uraraka anti-grab him so he can fly away like a rocket? That, but Bakugou and Deku becoming a two-stage rocket. Deku tosses Bakugou and Shigraraki as hard as he can, then Bakugou blasts Shikaragi the rest of the way.
I think it's the law that whenever anyone mentions that comic, you have to post it for the people who haven't seen it yet.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That comic is one of my favorite things to come out of My Hero Academia as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

I think it's the law that whenever anyone mentions that comic, you have to post it for the people who haven't seen it yet.

This is a photoshop btw.