Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

Reminder that video games are bad. All of them.

Is there anything you actually enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The entire apple is edible,even the core. Eat the whole thing.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

A White Guy posted:

The entire apple is edible,even the core. Eat the whole thing.

Even the sticker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96CaWH5St7I

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't trust driverless cars. What they've managed to do technologically is undeniably cool, but I just worry that I'm putting my life into the hands of software that could easily experience some sort of unforeseen error while I'm being driven down the highway at 60 mph. It's not so much that I don't trust the engineers at Google and Tesla, but any complex computer system is going to have its share of bugs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't trust most people to spell their name correctly, why should I trust them to be better at driving than a hypothetical future computer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"everyone should have to drive a driverless car except me" --everyone

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Your wedding should be as beautiful as you can reasonably afford.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my unpopular opinion on self driving cars is that they totally won't work in cities, specially big old traditional cities.
Negotiating space as a driver, pedestrian, cyclist, is often all about eye contact, body language, unwritten rules. Self driving cars sound great when you're mostly used to suburban environments where everything is strictly segregated with the car at the top in terms of rights and use of space. To get self driving cars to work in those environments would require strictly segregating cars from other users, with cars being once again given top priority. Things like jaywalking or doing anything that might upset, confuse, or delay a self driving car would become much more strictly penalized and enforced.

They might be fine for stuff like a truck driving from a very user-segregated industrial park onto the big highway and to another industrial park or port or something. But a self driving car trying to navigate the heart of Prague during tourist season, or a narrow mixed-traffic dutch lane? Not a chance, and gently caress off with trying to ruin the city to accommodate it to autistic cars that can't understand body language or make eye contact.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would much rather put my life in the hands of a fine-tuned AI that can make quick and precise corrections than the instincts of my stupid monkey brain that is still more concerned with not falling out of trees and avoiding predators.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I see people still looking at their phones while driving when it's illegal. A $60 fine isn't enough. Make it so you have the spend a weekend at driver ed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't trust driverless cars. What they've managed to do technologically is undeniably cool, but I just worry that I'm putting my life into the hands of software that could easily experience some sort of unforeseen error while I'm being driven down the highway at 60 mph. It's not so much that I don't trust the engineers at Google and Tesla, but any complex computer system is going to have its share of bugs.
And this will definitely be the biggest challenge for autonomous cars. Even though the most untrustworthy part of traffic today is the meathead behind the wheel, and even in their current state driverless cars are probably magnitudes better drivers than the majority of people on the road.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Self driving cars can be programmed to recognize facial cues and gestures, arguably more reliably than a human brain does. Besides, they can also communicate with other self-driving cars instantly. Pretty much every argument against self driving cars hinges on the fact that they won't be ubiquitous, at least at first.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

But you do trust the other meatbags on the road? Their brains can fail in any number of ways. They're a jury rigged kludge of parts that evolved to survive in a hostile savannah-woodland environment, not drive two-ton death machines on an asphalt road.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Whisky is dumb and you're just drinking it by yourself anyway

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pick posted:

I agree with this as long as you don't hold it against people who can't afford to come if they don't come. Having your dream wedding is fine but you can't expect all of your guests to shell out a few grand in plane tickets/hotel rooms for it.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

Baronjutter posted:

It's like an old school japanese rpg. You are a kid and enter the world of monsters. Woah, but monsters are just like normal people, smashed your preconceptions didn't we? Guess what, if you murder them all, it's like bad because the game makes a super bold and progressive stance that murdering everyone you see maybe makes you the bad guy. You can choose to not murder people, but it pretty much uses the same mechanics as combat just instead of making an attack you talk to them or dance or what ever. Most all the monsters are animes or memes, the whole story is chock full of anime and internet nerd culture "references" and the NPC's talk and talk and talk. Everyone's some sort of unconfident nerd or outcast who finds strength in anime or some nerdy hobby.
I think this is a reasonable opinion to hold, but some of this is a little backwards. In fact the only major character who really fits the description of "unconfident nerd or outcast who finds strength in anime or some nerdy hobby" is Alphys. Papyrus and Undyne are definitely not "unconfident" at all, and Sans is someone who got depressed and gave up on life and duty altogether. He only does anything interesting if you kill every other monster, in which case he fucks your poo poo up. Asgore and Flowey subvert the player's expectations pretty majorly, as well. You expect Asgore to be some kind of horrible genocidal dictator but instead he just turns out to be a fluffy, weak coward who really does not want to hurt anyone and wasn't willing to do what was necessary to save his people.

The "vanilla" route is admittedly lacking and a little disappointing. To get the interesting storyline material to appear, you have to play either pacifist or genocide mode.

quote:

People were saying it was the best game they had ever played, they cried, it was the most meaningful experience of their life, you haven't lived or experienced literature or art until you play this game, the writing will go down in history as one of humanity's greatest works. Its just nuts how many sad brain nerds were so heavily affected by a dude's little indie retro jrpg.
That's the funny thing. The game was put together pretty much by one dude who didn't expect it to have this kind of cult following at all. The writing is sometimes cringeworthy, but he managed to pack some depth into it. People are still finding easter eggs even though the game came out a year and a half ago.

hbomberguy had a very interesting video about how the fandom has arguably missed one of the major themes of the game, namely that fandom itself can become obsessive and unhealthy. For example, most players who like the game will attempt to be completionists and see what happens if they wipe out the entire monster world. They'll generally be displeased with the result.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dragon Age 2 is the only video game that ever said anything genuinely interesting, and I have never found a video game since that was 1/10th as satisfying. Every video game since has been such a disappointment that I've basically given up on video games entirely (exceptions made for Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape since I've been following those for years and wanted to see where they went).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Aschlafly posted:

But you do trust the other meatbags on the road? Their brains can fail in any number of ways. They're a jury rigged kludge of parts that evolved to survive in a hostile savannah-woodland environment, not drive two-ton death machines on an asphalt road.

Not at all. I just think there are other things we should try before we bring all this new technology into the fold. It just doesn't seem like we've completely thought through some of the unintended side effects, like how tamper- and hackproof these cars will be, and whether the software will remain stable over a long period of time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Pick posted:

Dragon Age 2 is the only video game that ever said anything genuinely interesting, and I have never found a video game since that was 1/10th as satisfying. Every video game since has been such a disappointment that I've basically given up on video games entirely (exceptions made for Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape since I've been following those for years and wanted to see where they went).

That's because most games are not interested in saying stuff, they are about doing stuff. If you don't enjoy hammering a mechanical keyboard and twitching your mouse around in a state of flow, just read a book or something.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah my unpopular opinion on self driving cars is that they totally won't work in cities, specially big old traditional cities.
Negotiating space as a driver, pedestrian, cyclist, is often all about eye contact, body language, unwritten rules. Self driving cars sound great when you're mostly used to suburban environments where everything is strictly segregated with the car at the top in terms of rights and use of space. To get self driving cars to work in those environments would require strictly segregating cars from other users, with cars being once again given top priority. Things like jaywalking or doing anything that might upset, confuse, or delay a self driving car would become much more strictly penalized and enforced.

They might be fine for stuff like a truck driving from a very user-segregated industrial park onto the big highway and to another industrial park or port or something. But a self driving car trying to navigate the heart of Prague during tourist season, or a narrow mixed-traffic dutch lane? Not a chance, and gently caress off with trying to ruin the city to accommodate it to autistic cars that can't understand body language or make eye contact.

Yeah the idea of driverless cars trying to navigate the "literally made for horses" labyrinth roads of Philadelphia is a nightmare

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pick posted:

My unpopular opinion is that a wedding is a pointless tradition that most spend a poo poo load of money on and end up with a gimmicky, joyless afternoon that most go to to get drunk for free.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

starkebn posted:

My unpopular opinion is that a wedding is a pointless tradition that most spend a poo poo load of money on and end up with a gimmicky, joyless afternoon that most go to to get drunk for free.

I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where people didn't have a blast.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Seriously weddings are fun as gently caress. You get drunk and dance with people you're generally close to and two people are really happy what's not to like

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

Seriously weddings are fun as gently caress. You get drunk and dance with people you're generally close to and two people are really happy what's not to like

There is a big asterisk here. After it is "if they can afford to provide an open bar". A wedding without an open bar, or even worse without a bar at all, is excruciatingly boring.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There is a big asterisk here. After it is "if they can afford to provide an open bar". A wedding without an open bar, or even worse without a bar at all, is excruciatingly boring.

Ok that's totally fair. I was at a teetotaler wedding years ago that was agonizing. It didn't help that it was like really heavily traditional catholic

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

A wedding sans alcohol is a funeral with dancing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dry weddings are church levels of boring. They are almost cruel Imo. Also do the wedding in the late afternoon or evening so people can party until at least midnight.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
Self driving cars are at least a few hundred years from being viable on a widespread scale. The solution to the problem requires close to the AI of a human, which we are ridiculously far from achieving.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But haven't you heard? AI going into production has a direct correlation with marketers' budgets!

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is there anything you actually enjoy

O'course:

1.) picking my nose
2.) eating boogers (any; dont have to be my own)
3.) farting
4.) taking dumps
5.) scratching myself
6.) sleeping
7.) yawning,
8.) scraping psoriasis scabs off of my scalp
9.) standing up close to a mirror and squeezing my nose pores until stuff (not sure what it is) squeezes out

edited to add:

Just thought of another one!

10.) Biting the hardened skin that forms near the corners of my fingernails. Sometimes I eat it, sometimes I spit it out

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Feb 5, 2017

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aschlafly posted:

Self driving cars can be programmed to recognize facial cues and gestures, arguably more reliably than a human brain does. Besides, they can also communicate with other self-driving cars instantly. Pretty much every argument against self driving cars hinges on the fact that they won't be ubiquitous, at least at first.

#notallmeatbags but :agreed:

i've seen three really bad accidents in my life and they've always involved what would definitely be called human errors; of the ones i know second-hand: my good friend was leveled as a pedestrian by someone who was on their cellphone and again by someone cutting a tight turn on a yellow while another friend took a more severe rear ending by an inattentive drive when he stopped for a pedestrian, at least he was inside his car at the time; both friends were seriously injured (one permanently) but at least both were generously paid out by insurance companies since in all cases the other driver was seriously at fault

i do not see automated cars making the same kinds of mistakes that frequently occur with some humans, some of us can't be so well adapted for driving 2 ton machines as others, and so long as they're just safer than us on average that's enough to justify a transition imho, supposing they could be made largely tamper-proof and that early reports of their trial successes were honest - really the big negative would be replacing professional truckers/bus drivers/taxi drivers, people that are excellent operators but haven't developed any other skills, with more robutts

Pick posted:

DA2 had amazing subtext for a game that was a buggy rush-job that was mostly held together by tattered sheets and moth-eaten scarves but I think there are others out there that also try to include depth and subtext as a part of the package too. I mean it's all subjective and personal opinion but at least there are people like Guillermo Del Toro, a reasonably respected film director, out there who honestly regard some video games pretty well. Del Toro, for example, likes the art direction, design, cinematography and subtexts of Silent Hill and Bioshock and he even seriously argues that Shadow of The Colossus is genuine ~*art*~. He's passionate enough that he actually tried to get involved with a new silent hill project with Hideo which looked real spooky while in development but the thing was cancelled and the whole experience left a bad bideo gaems taste in his mouth.

You might have luck if you look around but I think other more serious mediums might be more your style anyway if regular games can't do anything for you.

:agreed: even the ones without an open bar are fun, you at least get a nice party of optimism and positivity celebrating the lives of your friends, dancing, music, acquaintances, strangers, an upbeat mood, a dinner and a show :v:

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Hey my man, these are all quite exquisite things to experience but ultimately pointless. So why do you hate other pointless things like video games, tv etc?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baronjutter posted:

I would much sooner trust a computer to not run me down than a person. If you're relying on eye contact and body language to not get hit by cars, you're just lucky you haven't been hit yet.

Mu Zeta posted:

I see people still looking at their phones while driving when it's illegal. A $60 fine isn't enough. Make it so you have the spend a weekend at driver ed.
Dangerous driving should carry the penalty of immediate suspension of licence. Repeat offenders banned from driving for life. Cars are incredibly dangerous and yet driving is treated as a basic right. It's appalling how easy it is to get a driver's licence and how hard it is to lose. People are dying all the time and yet we just carry on as though that's inevitable.

Pick posted:

Whisky is dumb and you're just drinking it by yourself anyway
Why would you be drinking it by yourself?

Aesop Poprock posted:

They're no more fun than a regular party but they cost way more to attend.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ok that's totally fair. I was at a teetotaler wedding years ago that was agonizing. It didn't help that it was like really heavily traditional catholic

The gently caress? Why would you even go? Thats like inviting people to go to 5 hours of church. My plan would be to get married at the courthouse and then rent out an open bar and hall like a normal reception, but tell the venue its a birthday or something. Saying the word "wedding" automatically add a couple hundred dollars to anything you're planning.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AutumnDDP posted:

Hey my man, these are all quite exquisite things to experience but ultimately pointless. So why do you hate other pointless things like video games, tv etc?

Why are you responding seriously to someone who has said multiple times that they like to eat boogers?

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Are you suggesting something is wrong with eating boogers???

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiggum posted:

I would much sooner trust a computer to not run me down than a person. If you're relying on eye contact and body language to not get hit by cars, you're just lucky you haven't been hit yet.

Huh? When you are crossing the street at a busy 4-way stop, for example, you absolutely should get the eye contact of the drivers who you are walking in front of. Just walking into the road and hoping that the car drivers see you is a pretty great way to get hit by a car.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

silence_kit posted:

Huh? When you are crossing the street at a busy 4-way stop, for example, you absolutely should get the eye contact of the drivers who you are walking in front of. Just walking into the road and hoping that the car drivers see you is a pretty great way to get hit by a car.

If I have to cross a busy road I use the pedestrian crossing. Even at a zebra crossing you just wait for the cars to stop and then you cross. And I don't think we have "4-way stops" in Australia. Do they not have pedestrian crossings? That seems like a bad idea. Actually, the whole concept of a 4-way stop seems like a bad idea.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mu Zeta posted:

Where I live it's $543 first time offense, second time within a year is $888, third time is $3,000 with an automatic license review and possible driving prohibition. Still see people doing it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Why are you responding seriously to someone who has said multiple times that they like to eat boogers?

But they look down on my video games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tiggum posted:

Dangerous driving should carry the penalty of immediate suspension of licence. Repeat offenders banned from driving for life. Cars are incredibly dangerous and yet driving is treated as a basic right. It's appalling how easy it is to get a driver's licence and how hard it is to lose. People are dying all the time and yet we just carry on as though that's inevitable.

Why would you be drinking it by yourself?

They're no more fun than a regular party but they cost way more to attend.

I drink Whisky by myself when I'm watching a movie or reading a book or something.