Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The other day I learned that Kos has a face and it freaks me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's a really cool detail. i didn't see it till my second fight with orphan.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
today i was just thinking about the cool visual effects in isz chalices

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I like the chasms with the long bridges in the ancient Loran (I think) chalices, they make me hard for some bridge fighting

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just wanted to post this story here

so i lent my cousin bloodborne, he speaks a little english but he has some trouble reading it, i figured he’d be fine since he plays RPGs and all you really need to understand is numbers going up

so i asked him how its going, and he’s telling me hes stuck on father gascione, and cleric beast gave him hours of trouble. i was like “oh drat at least you beat it tho, gascione is really a test of how good you are at the gun parrys”
-“…gun parries?”
- yeah! omg, if you shoot something right before it attacks you’ll like stun it for a big hit, im sorry i shouldve told you
-“guns?? you get guns in this game?”
- yeah..you get the gun along with your main weapon
- “????”

so my cousin beat the cleric beast and everything between that and gascione with his bare loving fists and he’s been under the impression that the game is just really hardcore

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

so i lent my cousin bloodborne, he speaks a little english but he has some trouble reading it, i figured he’d be fine since he plays RPGs and all you really need to understand is numbers going up

so i asked him how its going, and he’s telling me hes stuck on father gascione, and cleric beast gave him hours of trouble. i was like “oh drat at least you beat it tho, gascione is really a test of how good you are at the gun parrys”
-“…gun parries?”
- yeah! omg, if you shoot something right before it attacks you’ll like stun it for a big hit, im sorry i shouldve told you
- “????”

so my cousin beat the cleric beast and everything between that and gascione with his bare loving fists and he’s been under the impression that the game is just really hardcore
Buy him an account

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

-“…gun parries?”
- “????”

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't even imagine how long fists take to kill the cleric beast

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I can't even imagine how long fists take to kill the cleric beast

cubans are determined hard workers, its in our blood

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

what i cant imagine is the release he felt when he heard the death ping on cleric beast going down

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[desperately trying to summon Old Hunter Cuban Cousin]

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what makes the story even better is that on the start screen under system you can set the language of text and voice to Spanish

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

what makes the story even better is that on the start screen under system you can set the language of text and voice to Spanish

If you missed the bath messengers that give you the weapons for that long there's nothing that changing the language can do to help you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like to think he just never went to the Dream after the first time and only ran everywhere

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I like to think he just never went to the Dream after the first time and only ran everywhere

hes never played this kind of game before and theres a lot of know-how i just took as a given. literally his only other games have been FIFA and cod, pokemon like 10+ years ago lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

-“…gun parries?”
- “????”

cool

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bobnumerotres posted:

hes never played this kind of game before and theres a lot of know-how i just took as a given. literally his only other games have been FIFA and cod, pokemon like 10+ years ago lol

I got a buddy playing this for xmas and he's never played a souls game.

He's having a lotta fun but it's highlighting some of the weirder design decisions in how Bloodborne progresses early on:

Mainly, it's true: Vial and bullet management are really awful at the very beginning. It's fine once you can start reliably dumping spare echoes into buying surplus, but you can be decently into old yharnam before you're not emptying your supply constantly.

It's strange to try and "give a tip" on progressing to vicar amelia after beating BSB. "A new path opened in the chapel. Follow it and thoroughly explore that area until you find a path forward"

This is likely fine, but for non souls players, there's not really a place where you gotta really commit to drops from high areas with 100% Hp (especially if you wanna get into the workshop). In Bloodborne at least, the only other time you've done dropping platforming is in the first chapel in old yharnam.

And that's even more esoteric when the option of dropping 10k souls can completely bypass that place. (You could argue this both ways tho: having the emblem provides a secondary path and option, BUT also removed the need for the player to learn and understand the way levels are vertically constructed in souls games)

Another friend started playing in November and handled the workshop pathway very easily. But he thinks about design things differently and is somewhat familiar with the souls games even though he's never played them. The guy I'm talking about was initially thinking he had to hit the lever to drop the first ladder with his weapon in a certain way to activate it :sadpeanut:

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 1, 2017

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I got a buddy playing this for xmas and he's never played a souls game.

He's having a lotta fun but it's highlighting some of the weirder design decisions in how Bloodborne progresses early on:

Mainly, it's true: Vial and bullet management are really awful at the very beginning. It's fine once you can start reliably dumping spare echoes into buying surplus, but you can be decently into old yharnam before you're not emptying your supply constantly.

My friend is in the same boat. He played a little bit of Demon's Souls but didn't beat any bosses. Navigation is also an issue since the first area of Yharnam is probably the most geographically complex level of the game, possibly surpassed by the forbidden woods

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 1, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally beat father g on first try out the gate with starting gear and load out in 6~ total minutes

Currently working on consistently doing the old yharnam skip from the first ladder down to the werewolf bridge. I pulled it off once and used up all three blood cocktails on the BSB :cripes:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat father g on first try out the gate with starting gear and load out in 6~ total minutes

Currently working on consistently doing the old yharnam skip from the first ladder down to the werewolf bridge. I pulled it off once and used up all three blood cocktails on the BSB :cripes:

Try walking left

my wheelhouse
Nov 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rBX69MY1U

Love this video of INRI straight up blitzing the BSB.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

I know, I got flustered from never using blood cocktails and then I got poisoned like a scrub

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deb-EaLTgzA

the new PS4 firmware has a toggleable mode that improves framerate on older "unsupported" games on a Pro. It's not a perfect 60 but Bloodborne looks lots better drat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PS4 got a firmware update that improves bloodborne performance on Pro

edit: lol nice double bump

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

the new PS4 firmware has a toggleable mode that improves framerate on older "unsupported" games on a Pro. It's not a perfect 60 but Bloodborne looks lots better drat

the dream is real

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

PS4 got a firmware update that improves bloodborne performance on Pro

edit: lol nice double bump

Holy poo poo...

Dec 26, 2012

goferchan posted:

well drat

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh gently caress that's spicy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

spent 300 on a ps4 just for bloodborne, whats another three hundos for bloodborne at an acceptable framerate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could trade in or sell the PS4 so it's like a 50 to 100 dollar upgrade. I'm honestly tempted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like if I did that I'd probably play bloodborne another 5 or 6 times haha.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So now we know "don't want to give PS Pro owners an advantage online" was BS I suppose.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I dont think it makes the framerate higher than 30, but still, having the framerate not go to poo poo during multiplayer sounds great

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

I dont think it makes the framerate higher than 30, but still, having the framerate not go to poo poo during multiplayer sounds great

thats still 50% better than the usual framerate lol. does it make the loads faster too?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It will for me.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

extremebuff posted:

thats still 50% better than the usual framerate lol. does it make the loads faster too?

I havent seen anyone mention it so i dunno

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

:worship: :worship: :worship:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

I havent seen anyone mention it so i dunno

if it fixes the load times too im getting a pro

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm gonna get a Pro later this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can't believe bloodborne is already almost 2 years old and still Game of the Year. Incredible