Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/03/asia/us-defense-secretary-mattis-japan-visit/

quote:

US Defense Secretary James Mattis on Saturday reaffirmed Washington's commitment to defending Japan, including a group of disputed islands which have been claimed by China.

"I made clear that our long-standing policy on the Senkaku Islands stands -- the US will continue to recognize Japanese administration of the islands and as such Article 5 of the US-Japan Security Treaty applies," Mattis said in a press conference with Japanese Defense Minister Tomomi Inada.
Article 5 of that treaty says the US will defend territories under Japanese administration, which would include the Senkakus, an uninhabited group of islands in the East China Sea called the Diaoyus by China.

BOUT TO GET LIT UP IN HUR

EDIT: No it's not. LOL

Haier fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good. Only a really good war against a brown or yellow enemy will unify this country.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I understand they're just toeing the party line, but didn't the Dalai Lama in fact have slaves and serfs and punishments involving the gouging out of eyes?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't know, did he?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The Dalai Lama is visiting USCD and the Chinese students are massively triggered.

quote:

And I want to tell you: many people say that they've been prosecuted in China because of religion and political reasons is usually to get a US green card, and that's all - I've seen some people done that: fake a lie and get a green card, even easier than fake marriage to get green card.

Hey China isn't actually bad. Those people who say it's bad? They're just lying, to escape china at any cost, for some reason. There, mystery solved.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Beachcomber posted:

I understand they're just toeing the party line, but didn't the Dalai Lama in fact have slaves and serfs and punishments involving the gouging out of eyes?

The current Dalai Lama was never in charge of Tibet as far as I know, so no. His predecessor did but it's hard to believe he was worse than Mao.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The current Dalai Lama was never in charge of Tibet as far as I know, so no. His predecessor did but it's hard to believe he was worse than Mao.

Yeah, from the sources I've read it came across almost like a Buddhist Taliban to me at times. Even Seven Years in Tibet, ostensibly written by someone with pro-Tibetan leanings, didn't make it out to be all that great a place from a human rights perspective.

Not that the PRC in Tibet is a shining bastion of human rights, mind you.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Surprisingly a theocracy isn't the greatest place to live, who knew.

The current dude has been nothing but chill of course, though I'm sad to see that it isn't until you get to the 70-ish likes that you get a bit of sense, hah.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mameluke posted:

poo poo like this is why Korea belongs in the China thread and not the Japan thread

i wouldn't be especially surprised to see a movie like that come out of japan today, let alone half a century ago.

hell, even out of America or Europe half a century ago. it being stated that way so explicitly was hilarious though, I think at least it'd be a bit more coy in the west.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 4, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been called a pro-chinese genocide apologist for ever pointing out that pre-chinese tibet actually was a horrific theocracy. Doesn't make what china did right any more than Ukraine's current government being run by outright criminals robbing the country blind makes a russian invasion ok. But some people, specially in the west, have this idea that pre-chinese tibet was this peaceful Buddhist utopia because Buddhism = really chill good people who do no wrong.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Justifying it with that in mind is basically just a repeat of the European colonial "have a civilized power modernize and uplift them for their own good" argument is the thing. I don't think Tibet having been horrific precludes criticism of China's actions there 70 years later.

Although yeah people are pretty naive when it comes to Buddhism. I still hear the laughable "no Buddhist state has ever waged a war of aggression" thing from time to time, even.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm not at all surprised to hear that a secluded theocracy in the 1940s had a terrible human rights record. Using that to compare the current Dalai Lama to Osama bin Laden is hilarious. Doing that while ignoring that the PRC still has a terrible human rights record in the present day is just pure Chinar gold.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oh my God I can't even

Ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Seriously, thank you for this

Ahahahhahahahhahaha

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Baronjutter posted:

I've been called a pro-chinese genocide apologist for ever pointing out that pre-chinese tibet actually was a horrific theocracy. Doesn't make what china did right any more than Ukraine's current government being run by outright criminals robbing the country blind makes a russian invasion ok. But some people, specially in the west, have this idea that pre-chinese tibet was this peaceful Buddhist utopia because Buddhism = really chill good people who do no wrong.

I wonder what they do when you mention the ethnic cleansings in Burma.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

On the list of problems i have with the ccp, annexing tibet isn't one of them.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle... kingdom

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the entire world thinks this one thing, but everyone in china actually knows the truth. you can never understand, because you are not a chinese, but let me assure you, we are correct, and you are wrong.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Gao posted:

Just want to ask what this school is thinking right now! Firstly, UCSD is one of the universities where have the most Chinese International Students. Although UCSD sneakily hides our population among the Asians, inviting this evil person inevitably shows that this school treats the Chinese international students, who are paying the highest tuition fees, unfairly and disrespectfully! Think about what you guys respond to Trump, and now You do this sh*tty thing to us? Why there is no understanding and communication when the school makes such awful decisions? #thefirsttimenotfeelingproudofbeingatriton

Leah Xu posted:

What the actual fk! Guess all the Chinese students are not looking forward to this stupid bullshit brainwashing speech giving in our campus

Jialiang Zhou posted:

And u fcking charge us 14k dollars tuition fee each QUARTER, and increase it every year, and do this shiiiiiiiiit to us?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a big fan of a theocratic monarchy but anything that's bad for China has to be good for the world long term.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Dali Lama visited UBC last year and the whole event was a big fundraiser for displaced Tibetans. UBC's main reason for existing right now is separating rich chinese students from their money, so there was a lot of hurt feelings. That chinese funded group that says he's actually the devil and tibetan buddhism is a LIE and GENOCIDE and he's WORSE THAN HITLER was out in full force there too protesting and trying to cause a scene outside the stadium. I love how the moment chinese funding for that cult dried up they all pretty much vanished. Even at UBC 99% of the protesters were crusty white people. Useful idiots.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

the entire world thinks this one thing, but everyone in china actually knows the truth. you can never understand, because you are not a chinese, but let me assure you, we are correct, and you are wrong.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i am not a chinese so i cannot comment

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

big time bisexual posted:

maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle... kingdom

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Falun Dafa Hao

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The best joke in the world is:

"A billion and a half Chinese people can't be wrong!"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mameluke posted:

poo poo like this is why Korea belongs in the China thread and not the Japan thread
Say what you want about Chinese cinema for most of its early period; that it was mostly propaganda (true), that it was boring and bad (true all too often) but drat, if they didn't at least pretend to think that women were people.

Korea and Japan are so much more sexist and chauvinist, especially then but even now.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm not a big fan of a theocratic monarchy but anything that's bad for China has to be good for the world long term.
I mean, if you believe in the idea of national determination, then you believe in a state for Basques, Tibetans and Kurds and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Some of those ain't ever happening but that doesn't mean agitation for it is bad, which is why the whole anti-Tibetan thing is loving absurd.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

They aren't even asking for independence any more, just meaningful autonomy.

There is basically no point in trying to debate though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Say what you want about Chinese cinema for most of its early period; that it was mostly propaganda (true), that it was boring and bad (true all too often) but drat, if they didn't at least pretend to think that women were people.

Korea and Japan are so much more sexist and chauvinist, especially then but even now.
I mean, if you believe in the idea of national determination, then you believe in a state for Basques, Tibetans and Kurds and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Some of those ain't ever happening but that doesn't mean agitation for it is bad, which is why the whole anti-Tibetan thing is loving absurd.

Yeah relatively greater gender equality seems to be the single good thing to have come out of the CCP. Even in North Korea it's atrocious.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
There were some Chinese replies on that FB post about how the Chinese government was negating people's diploma's from schools where the Dalai visited. LOL. What kind of lame gossip is that? That's probably why many of them are so riled up.

Has anyone pointed out the irony of them practicing free speech and protesting using a website that's been banned in their own country because it allows them free speech and protesting?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I know Americans do it too but from what I've seen itt the Chinese are so behind on this whole fake "funny" viral clip thing it's...well, not funny
I look forward to them filling the naval and humor gap by 2080 assuming society as we know it still sorta exists

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Haier posted:

RELATED:
At the turn of the century when I was a young man, back when ICQ was still around, and MSN Messenger was setting to dominate the world for chat (gently caress you, AIM), I had put my info on some penpal websites. It blew my mind soooo much to be able to email and chat with someone from across the world. We were sending cards and postcards and it was cool as heck. Being in Hawaii, a ton of Japanese people wanted to use talk to me, and I met up with many of them when they came to Hawaii for vacation. I almost got engaged to one of them because we were both young and stupid. It was cool as heck to be a reckless youth.
I refuse refuse to read the rest of this post but we're one step closer to doxxing Haier now that we know he's literally a hundred years old

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK, a China question.How would I navigate from Hong Kong to Jiangmen? I thought initially via Macau, but doubling up on paperwork isn't the best idea and that comes with some other restrictions, so I figure I go through Guangzhou which I believe has a direct line from Hong Kong before taking another train in to Jiangmen proper. After that It would more than likely be up to the brides' relative to pick me up from the station.

Also cn I get a quick HK cultural primer? Last time I was there I hosed it up on every level, especially gift giving which is just ???. This is mostly dealing with older relatives rather than rando people. After reading this thread I have a pretty good idea how to act in China which will basically be "Don't rock the boat and cause lose of face" for the day or two I am up there.

I also have PM now so if someone would like to have a meet up in Hong Kong I would be more than happy to do so and go to some of the places mentioned in this thread on occasion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Koramei posted:

Yeah relatively greater gender equality seems to be the single good thing to have come out of the CCP. Even in North Korea it's atrocious.
One of the interesting things my old Prof mentioned is that N-Korea becomes a lot more comprehensible if you think of it as an Authoritarian Confucian, rather than Communist state. All the patriarchal worship, lack of women, focus on tradition and that.
Interesting, but of somewhat limited use unless you actually want to discuss Neo-Confucian influence on the Koreas.

As for good things from the CCP, I'd also cite widespread literacy as something, but that's rather faint praise. They did do a lot of good work in Africa and, well, they still kinda do, it's just not as inarguably good.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I know Americans do it too but from what I've seen itt the Chinese are so behind on this whole fake "funny" viral clip thing it's...well, not funny
I look forward to them filling the naval and humor gap by 2080 assuming society as we know it still sorta exists
I have never seen a good Chinese comedy that didn't use something else as a crutch (usually kung-fu or wuxia stuff).

It's kinda remarkable. The Japanese definitely have done some funny stuff and supposedly the Koreans as well but China just lags absolutely behind them in this.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I have never seen a good Chinese comedy that didn't use something else as a crutch (usually kung-fu or wuxia stuff).

It's kinda remarkable. The Japanese definitely have done some funny stuff and supposedly the Koreans as well but China just lags absolutely behind them in this.

A german language textbook once lied to me and said that germans actually love to laugh, and adore slapstick above all else. What's a ridiculously over simplistic explanation of what the Chinese find funny so I can have wrong ideas about more countries?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Krinkle posted:

A german language textbook once lied to me and said that germans actually love to laugh, and adore slapstick above all else. What's a ridiculously over simplistic explanation of what the Chinese find funny so I can have wrong ideas about more countries?

I've always heard that the french love Jerry Lewis. Why just the french? Why Jerry Lewis? :iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elTYN1LyMGw

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Krinkle posted:

The exact same one

also it wasn't a complete lie: you just weren't looking in the right part of Germany, the good parts are full of laughter, joy and pratfalls, with wonderful weather and good food

The north, of course, is full of over-serious blowhards or intolerably artsy libertines but if you go to the south, there you have people that work hard, party hard and laugh very, very hard at slapstick

(good part starts 3 min in)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know if I do or not in that I find states based around some kind of ethnic identity to generally be fascistic and disgusting, even if we're talking minority ethnicities. What's worse than that though is some unicultural retard state drawing its boundaries around another and then stamping out what differentiation exists in the encircled people. That's a pre-1900s kinda thing and it shouldn't be going on in 2017.

I will grant you that the Chinese are probably the least horribly sexist nation in Asia, so good on China for that. Now if they could work on their disgusting selfishness and materialism we might have something going.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 5, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Krinkle posted:

I bought some VCDs when I was in China that turned out to be several episodes of what I think was a state sponsored show that involved Chinese little people doing gags, prat falls, and "lol I'm a midget look what I can get away with physically that taller people can't" bits while in costumes. One of the market stalls had it on their TV all the time so I guess it was a big seller.

Also every DVD stall in every corner of Asia has Mr. Bean DVDs.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
There's adverts for a movie called something like Funniest Top Comedians all over the place at the moment that has some fat guys pulling stupid faces and Mr Bean in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

The exact same one

also it wasn't a complete lie: you just weren't looking in the right part of Germany, the good parts are full of laughter, joy and pratfalls, with wonderful weather and good food

The north, of course, is full of over-serious blowhards or intolerably artsy libertines but if you go to the south, there you have people that work hard, party hard and laugh very, very hard at slapstick

(good part starts 3 min in)
Wait, did you just post a Werner clip to make a point about the specific humor of southern Germany?

• Locked thread