Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

ultrachrist posted:

I just started this game so this may be a dumb question, but I think I don't get one of the basic premises of the game. I've been playing thru the story with the 4 dudes they give you and it's been fine.

I spent some orbs and got some 5 star dudes (one even had a movie scene) that are presumably better.... but they're all level 1. Is the idea my 4 dudes at the start will eventually become too weak and I'll need to grind up the powerful level 1 dudes to keep going?

it's an f2p game. you are expected to buy orbs to play the lottery to get better characters and level each from 0. also be aware the stamina timer is dollar-fueled too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I kind of wish I rerolled for a good archer or mage because my good characters are all melee, but it's okay. I'm doing pretty well with 5*Marth/4*Florina/4*Hana/4*Camilla, but man, some of those chapter 9 maps were rough and involved kiting endlessly with Marth.

Now I'm waiting for my stamina to refill to finish up hard mode story, which is lame but F2P mobile games what did I expect :shepspends:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 5, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

cpaf posted:

I'm not 100% decided if it's due to Camilla's bad matchups but pushing through lunatic 7 story has made her, as my only equal-level 4* star unit, pale in comparison to my 3 other 5* units. She feels pretty much worthless, actually.

Roy and Nowi also feel the same at 4* but they are a bit underlevelled as well.

I booted Camilla from my main team around level 25 or so. Being flying and an axe user makes her way too vulnerable to things.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Has anyone else come across a sound glitch that occurs sometimes when you minimize the app? It makes everything play super slow and distorted, even the battle cries, which is kinda hilarious.

Edit: I'm on an iPhone 6+.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I decided to drop $40 on this game because why the gently caress not.

My current 5★ characters are: Lucina, Tiki, Camilla, and Takumi. For healers, I have 4★ Azama and Sakura.

Should I just rock the 5★ characters in my main lineup or only 3 of them plus one of the healers?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't figure out how to sort my entire with the others, but I added the characters I've pulled to the spreadsheet

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Clarste posted:

I appreciate the idea of the spreadsheet, but is there a plan to list what the skills actually do, or is it always going to be just their names?

I'm gonna do a writeup on a new tab when I get home from dinner.

Also thanks @ people contributing, it's nice to have since Serenes isn't updating

Also quoting for the new page

The Shortest Path posted:

I decided to make a spreadsheet to dump each character's skills in as I find them, it's really bad and lovely and only has a couple dozen dudes but it is open for editing so other people can add the ones they have. It'll be useful for teambuilding I guess, also for determining which character(s) you want to try rolling for.

Anyone who is good at making spreadsheets look pretty and/or presentable please feel free to take a crack at it too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SgmqdmU0P9gGfcnyZBo1R2sqff-pNSYi5CnHITdTbjo/edit?usp=sharing

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If anyone wants to add me, here's my FC: 3817571295. And for more frands, here's a friend's as well. His FC: 0859826471
He has a marth 4* and takumi, but is all about dat Gunter.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Just rolled 4* Cecilia, Sophia and Olivia.

Replacing 3*s. How is Takumi and the 3 4* as a lineup? So far Takumi has been annihilating everything.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Were people still rerolling for any old 5*? If you want a 5* that might have been dinged by a bit of garbage followers, here you go

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Just rolled 4* Cecilia, Sophia and Olivia.

Replacing 3*s. How is Takumi and the 3 4* as a lineup? So far Takumi has been annihilating everything.

I'm really digging my team of Takumi and Tiki. Tiki is a tank that can cover any choke point and then Takumi is a total god that will clear anything that Tiki doesn't. As long as one of your units is sufficiently tanky, you'll be totally fine

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm really digging my team of Takumi and Tiki. Tiki is a tank that can cover any choke point and then Takumi is a total god that will clear anything that Tiki doesn't. As long as one of your units is sufficiently tanky, you'll be totally fine

Yeah the dancer doesn`t take damage well. I think I`ll replace her for a 3* tank until I roll something better.

Thanks!

Edit: VV Yup

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 5, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

loving poo poo goddamn this is the second time my 5-orb distribution is 3 red/2 blue. I got 5* Corrin out of it so i can't be too upset, but it's really frustrating when you're hoping to patch a particular weakness in your team (Lack of strong anti-blue mage units) and the game just straight up doesn't even give you a chance to do that.

I realize this is probably so then can swing color-specific or color-weighted banners later on, but I REALLY wish it let you preview the orb layout before spending your first five orbs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I got 5* Corrin out of it so i can't be too upset

that's actually the perfect reason to be upset

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does anyone know if higher tier characters have better growths or just stats? Because I upgraded a 2 star Sharena but she's turning out a lot worse as a 3 star just by getting some real bad level ups. I guess i'm getting unlucky either way, but i'd feel worse if it turns out she's supposed to have better growths now.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Postal Parcel posted:

Were people still rerolling for any old 5*? If you want a 5* that might have been dinged by a bit of garbage followers, here you go

how would you go about claiming one

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My last 5 roll, a bunch of poo poo 3* units and a 5* Elise. At least the rate up bonus is gone and everything was awful.

Then it turns out Elise actually kind of owns, sucks that she can't move through trees but she heals great, does good damage against nerds in armor and I never have to really worry about her being stuck just one move space too far behind to heal someone who gets hosed because she's on a horse and has all of the movement ever needed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nuebot posted:

My last 5 roll, a bunch of poo poo 3* units and a 5* Elise. At least the rate up bonus is gone and everything was awful.

Then it turns out Elise actually kind of owns, sucks that she can't move through trees but she heals great, does good damage against nerds in armor and I never have to really worry about her being stuck just one move space too far behind to heal someone who gets hosed because she's on a horse and has all of the movement ever needed.

Yeah, having a 5* healer is pretty nice. I'm currently going to upgrade my Clarine into a 4* as soon as the current arena ends in a few days.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone who has the lunatic quests unlocked report back on what the reward is for killing level 35+ people with a cavalry unit? I don't feel like rushing through the hard quests using dueling crests and I wanna know if I should start training a cavalry dude now or if the reward is pointless.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The reward is 5 pvp refreshes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thanks, I probably won't bother then

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

I just started this game so this may be a dumb question, but I think I don't get one of the basic premises of the game. I've been playing thru the story with the 4 dudes they give you and it's been fine.

I spent some orbs and got some 5 star dudes (one even had a movie scene) that are presumably better.... but they're all level 1. Is the idea my 4 dudes at the start will eventually become too weak and I'll need to grind up the powerful level 1 dudes to keep going?

edit: ok ran my 5 star lv 1s hector, takumi, and caeda into a training mission and they already do a poo poo ton of damage, so I'm assuming the game gets hard enough you need them.

Yes, though you can do it right now with the tower.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Leveling new characters up to 20 or so is pretty trivial. Just go to a training tower mission slightly above their level and feed them all the kills. Past that the stamina costs and experience requirements get high enough to be a bit annoying though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Clarste posted:

Leveling new characters up to 20 or so is pretty trivial. Just go to a training tower mission slightly above their level and feed them all the kills. Past that the stamina costs and experience requirements get high enough to be a bit annoying though.

Double stamina costs after this month will blow

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm in a weird place where I still think the stamina costs are a bit up there.

I'm also sick of stamina costs in these games in general.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Losing stamina for failing story missions in 2017 is pretty insane when successful games like Granblue have proven that there are much more consumer friendly options

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Countblanc posted:

Losing stamina for failing story missions in 2017 is pretty insane when successful games like Granblue have proven that there are much more consumer friendly options

It works a little in this game since they give you a bunch of free revives from quest rewards each month.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Countblanc posted:

it's intentional. they know they have a huge audience, so they can dial up the abuse and not worry about the attrition.

more detailed look at these things: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Monetization_Tricks.php

f2p games that need to stand on their own and keep players usually go much different paths, like e.g. warframe.

Agoat posted:

Yeah, I'm in a weird place where I still think the stamina costs are a bit up there.
how far in are you? generally that only gets *worse* as you progress.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 5, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tbh i'm actually kinda glad this game just starts you with 50 stamina from day one without going higher, the minmax-y part of my brain always hated the early part of gachas where you're leveling up and regaining all your stamina constantly and all that unused stamina goes to waste + trying to time when you'd do certain missions later on to make sure you level up right as you would run out of stamina to maximize your stamina usage

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

After playing Granblue it did kind of surprise me to not get a stamina refund after failing a mission that hadn't been cleared before. Now that I know I guess I'll be more careful.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Its also important to note that Kancolle has no stamina system, but in order to stop you from just blowing through everything it requires that you play it constantly for six months in order to get up to par, instead of just playing it for a little bit each day for six months

Stamina systems might seem annoying in a new game but games that do away with it usually do so at a pretty heavy cost

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

This game seems to ignore most of the QoL features other games have. The amount of grinding needed for one 4-5 star evolution alone is INSANE.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Its also important to note that Kancolle has no stamina system, but in order to stop you from just blowing through everything it requires that you play it constantly for six months in order to get up to par, instead of just playing it for a little bit each day for six months

Stamina systems might seem annoying in a new game but games that do away with it usually do so at a pretty heavy cost

the stamina is not there to keep you from blowing through it. it is there to get you to pay when you're invested in the game and would like to have a decently sized play session. nothing else.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mithaldu posted:

it's intentional. they know they have a huge audience, so they can dial up the abuse and not worry about the attrition.

more detailed look at these things: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Monetization_Tricks.php

f2p games that need to stand on their own and keep players usually go much different paths, like e.g. warframe.

I think it's more just because it's new rather than being outright malicious. Puzzle and Dragons, for example, took like a year to reduce the stamina timer by half when most other mobile games had already defaulted to 3 minutes or less per stamina. I'm willing to bet a few months in we're going to have some kind of levelling system implemented like every other game just because at the rate stam costs or raising, they have no way to keep the costs going up. Levels cap at 40, right? Unless they plan to release 6* and higher units surprisingly early then they're going to have do something to pad out the game's length and adding key features like larger party sizes and harder missions will probably be part of that. But since the harder missions we have now already take up more than 1/6th of our stamina, that kind of progression won't last unless they give us a way to upgrade it. After all, they can't give us events and missions that take up all of our stamina per attempt, that's just straight up not viable.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

BattleMaster posted:

After playing Granblue it did kind of surprise me to not get a stamina refund after failing a mission that hadn't been cleared before. Now that I know I guess I'll be more careful.

Dunno, I've tried out FF Brave Exvius & Fate/Grand Order plus some smaller no-name games and none of them refunded AP if you failed a mission. I think that's more of a GBF thing than a "most mobile games" thing.

Anyways, that's the kind of things feedback's for. Hopefully Nintendo/IS will listen and improve things.

FGO for example started with 10min/AP regen (yes), no AP refill items, no AP overflow if you leveled up and 20 AP bar at Lv. 1. The advanced missions cost 40AP, mind you.
One year and a half later it's 5min/AP, shittons of AP refills, AP overflow and assuming you've played enough >120AP bar.

(FFBE's AP costs/limits are still terrible though, 31 at rank 21 and most low-mid level missions blow 8-15)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 5, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
It wouldnt be so bad if stamina refreshed faster. Its what, 1 every ten minutes? So you can really only play once a day.

In other news, Hinata is stupid tanky and Hawkeye is really good at moving in and saying "gently caress yall, i dont need knight armor to deal with your punk asses"

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Nuebot posted:

After all, they can't give us events and missions that take up all of our stamina per attempt, that's just straight up not viable.

if enough people pay, it is.

i still say it's calculated abuse, but agree that they might tone it down when the initial flood of players is over. it'll never become like a sane and respectable game though and stop holding itself hostage.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Nasgate posted:

It wouldnt be so bad if stamina refreshed faster. Its what, 1 every ten minutes? So you can really only play once a day

it recharges the 50 in 4 hours.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure it's 5min per AP. 5min gives you 12 per hour so 4 hours 10 for full bar like Mithaldu said. As far as I can tell that's actually the most common recharge rate?

I just wish for a bigger AP bar so I could sleep and do stuff without wasting it.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
how often do you guys play?

also 9-3 is impossible without mages