Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I'm going to finish up the cathedral of the deep and enter into the midgame in irithyl. What sorcery stuff should I be on the lookout for now?

Bellowing dragoncrest ring boosts sorcery damage, Greirat also sells scholar candlesticks after thieving there, which if held also gives a boost (even if you don't meet the wield reqs) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Ok finished blue sentinels, but it appears you need all the + versions of rings to get the rings achievement :negative:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol who cares about the rings achievements

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol who cares about the rings achievements

I platinumed all the other games I want to do this one as well.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mean if you already got all the ears then the hard part is over.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Those loving ears are my only barrier to Platinum. I've been summoned maybe three times across a number of characters, and the drop rate from Silver Knights is atrocious.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks for the advice. Never really tried Rapport. I also hear the miracle that shoots bees at people (Dorys Gnawing???) is a big game breaker so I must try that.

Rapport is loving amazing. It's usefulness is only offset by the fact that you get it a little late in the game. Still it makes late game and NG+ awesome. Oh crap two greatsword red-eye Lothric Knights? This is gonna suck oh wait I'll let them kill each other. A couple of hollows? Let me run over, charm one, run off and enjoy the free souls. These Pus of Man fuckers always gently caress me up so I'll charm one and he'll let me kill him.

They can also be used to hilarious effect if an invader is hanging near a charmable enemy and you don't feel like wasting a seed.

With such a low stat requirement (15 INT) it's useful for all kinds of non magic builds too, plus it opens up a lot of useful sorceries.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hanales posted:

Ok finished blue sentinels, but it appears you need all the + versions of rings to get the rings achievement :negative:

The covenants are the hard part of the "collect all the X" achievements. And I guess maybe the ring that requires beating Nameless King on NG+2.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Also I was watching some clips of LOTR earlier (I really need to revisit these when I have ten free hours). How sick would it be if we got a flail weapon? It's like my favorite medieval weapon, it's so cruel looking. It could function like a halberd where the head does full damage and getting hit with the chain does less damage and poise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTB5t_4Nlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_-rmuPZC4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are you not satisfied with the flail weapon in the DLC that functions exactly like a mace? :negative:

Nioh has flail weapons and they look awesome.

VVV Its a weird whip/mace hybrid. Unfortunately it basically has the downside of both weapon types. Despite being unable to riposte with it, you can still be parried when using it. Its pretty garbage!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 4, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you not satisfied with the flail weapon in the DLC that functions exactly like a mace? :negative:

Unfortunately the Rose is technically a whip, which is sad since you can't backstab or riposte, yet it has the range of a mace.

They should make whip backstabs just involve garroting some poor hollow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rough Lobster posted:

Also I was watching some clips of LOTR earlier (I really need to revisit these when I have ten free hours). How sick would it be if we got a flail weapon? It's like my favorite medieval weapon, it's so cruel looking. It could function like a halberd where the head does full damage and getting hit with the chain does less damage and poise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTB5t_4Nlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_-rmuPZC4

Flails didn't really exist as weapons, kinda like Nunchucks, they're a product of fiction. They're just too wonky and unwieldy. Maybe some people used ball-and-chain from horseback, but that's about it, historians are pretty dubious on flails ever really being used in war. On foot, you'd use a mace, which is much more reliable. Too easy to hurt yourself or an ally swinging a flail around.

That said, dark souls has magic poo poo like swords that turn into whips, so I could see a magic flail, but I'm not dying to have one as a result.

I'd also kinda like to see a proper big fantasy warhammer, you don't get any in any of the souls games. Its just maces and then giant club things that are called hammers, but you don't really have any of those fantasy LOTR warhammers. But again... those are a product of fiction and not all that real. So I don't mind that much.

For Honor does have a character that uses a flail, if you're really into that kinda thing.

Internet Kraken posted:

The Kusarigama are really more of a ball and chain than a flail. Its a sickle + ball&chain combo. But yeah, I love the Kusarigama in Nioh and am going to go Katana & Kusari for my first run.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

drat do I have to buy a PS4 again so I can play nioh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A MIRACLE posted:

drat do I have to buy a PS4 again so I can play nioh

Yes

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean if you already got all the ears then the hard part is over.

Have to do Watchdogs :negative:

poptart_fairy posted:

Those loving ears are my only barrier to Platinum. I've been summoned maybe three times across a number of characters, and the drop rate from Silver Knights is atrocious.

NG+ 120 range. Hit all the areas so you can be summoned to them. I finished it in a couple of days of idling while doing other stuff. Grand Archives and DLC seemed to be the highest number of hits.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

My coworker / 420 buddy has one I'm just gonna play on his.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Vil posted:

The covenants are the hard part of the "collect all the X" achievements. And I guess maybe the ring that requires beating Nameless King on NG+2.
I found NK+ and ++ to be easier than the original because by that time I was SL150 and could wear effortlessly dragonslayer armour's shield and catarina set to only take trivial chip damage from all his stuff and just dark sword r1 spam him to death.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Did I break Patches' quest line (an subsequently Seigward's)? I lighted the rosaria bonfire before meeting him, and he's not where he would usually be by the bridge and I did not encounter him at the firelink tower.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Flails didn't really exist as weapons, kinda like Nunchucks, they're a product of fiction. They're just too wonky and unwieldy. Maybe some people used ball-and-chain from horseback, but that's about it, historians are pretty dubious on flails ever really being used in war. On foot, you'd use a mace, which is much more reliable. Too easy to hurt yourself or an ally swinging a flail around.

That said, dark souls has magic poo poo like swords that turn into whips, so I could see a magic flail, but I'm not dying to have one as a result.

I'd also kinda like to see a proper big fantasy warhammer, you don't get any in any of the souls games. Its just maces and then giant club things that are called hammers, but you don't really have any of those fantasy LOTR warhammers. But again... those are a product of fiction and not all that real. So I don't mind that much.

Wikipedia says flails existed as farming implements. Since we already have dudes running around slicing necks with sickles and scythes, I'm cool with it. Make it happen FROM!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Did I break Patches' quest line (an subsequently Seigward's)? I lighted the rosaria bonfire before meeting him, and he's not where he would usually be by the bridge and I did not encounter him at the firelink tower.

Going to Rosaria's bonfire before beating Deacons fucks up the Patches event in the Cathedral. I think you can still get him to show up at Firelink. Go back to the Cathedral and open the big door on the top floor past the Deacons area. Opening that door is the trigger to make Patches show up. He won't appear in Cathedral if you've already beaten Deacons/been to Rosaria's bonfire but after that door is open you should be able to meet him in Firelink by going up the tower again.

Its ridiculous how finicky that particular event is.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rose is designed to wail on backs. It should have like a 150 critical.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Got ten invasions last night and it was mostly bullshit. Three were wins, six were host disconnects and one had me spawn all the way across the level when the host was right outside the boss fog. Ugh...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Internet Kraken posted:

Going to Rosaria's bonfire before beating Deacons fucks up the Patches event in the Cathedral. I think you can still get him to show up at Firelink. Go back to the Cathedral and open the big door on the top floor past the Deacons area. Opening that door is the trigger to make Patches show up. He won't appear in Cathedral if you've already beaten Deacons/been to Rosaria's bonfire but after that door is open you should be able to meet him in Firelink by going up the tower again.

Its ridiculous how finicky that particular event is.

He'll still show up in the Cathedral if you've beaten the Deacons as long as you haven't been to the rafters yet.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And it's really awful that I have to stay offline in DS1 or be constantly invaded by ultratwinks. It's especially bad around Ornstein and Smough. I wouldn't mind fighting invaders if they weren't twinked out to one-shot me and have approximately five billion HP.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

And it's really awful that I have to stay offline in DS1 or be constantly invaded by ultratwinks. It's especially bad around Ornstein and Smough. I wouldn't mind fighting invaders if they weren't twinked out to one-shot me and have approximately five billion HP.

Aren't these the same people who curse soul memory with every wheezing breath?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

...! posted:

Yeah DS1 is really bad in that regard. 2 and 3 try to at least limit how much you can twink, but DS1 was kinda naive about how far people would push things.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You don't need to meet patches in cod to do his quest. Only open the door that puts seigward in the well.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I just realized that Orbeck's little spiel about how the ideal sorceror bears the twin faces of the dragon or whatever can be interpreted as a hint to put on both of the dragoncrest rings.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I like the astora greatsword better than the LKGS. It is half the weight, has the same moveset, and looks better on my character. I'll buff it with lightning and rock a STR/FTH build with that S scaling it gets.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Aren't these the same people who curse soul memory with every wheezing breath?

Lets not pretend SM was a good solution to this problem. Twinking has less to do with your soul level and more to do with your equipment level. DS1 didn't factor this into matchmaking at all, and DS2 only does it through the very minimial souls you'd need to spend on upgrading. Even before SOTFS added the void ring, a dedicated player could speedrun to where you get all the needed upgrade materials while gaining very little souls. It was harder to twink in DS2, but not impossible, and that's not even touching on all the problems SM caused for people playing normally.

DS3's system is much better because it actually takes equipment level into consideration. Its not perfect, but twinking in DS3 is much less effective than it was in previous games as its impossible to invade a fresh player with a +10 weapon and flatten them instantly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Instead, they just invade a fresh player with the hornet ring and flatten them instantly with a critical.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Maybe Hornet Ring shouldn't exist

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I'm trying to get into Salt and Sanctuary but it's so ugly.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Maleh-Vor posted:

Nothing can be done about the characters looking like potato people, but there is some pretty rad fashion souls strewn throughout the game.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Katsuma posted:

Nothing can be done about the characters looking like potato people, but there is some pretty rad fashion souls strewn throughout the game.

Monsters and bosses look pretty bad too :( I got the first bosses helm so at least I can stop seeing my own lovely face, but it's still bad.

I ended up closing it and starting a bleed build in DS3.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

Play Momodora, it's a good 2d souls-like metroidvania.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I was just reminded by what pure disappointment feels like when I lost 31K souls to the Stray Demon in DS1. I totally forgot that boss existed its been so long since I played.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is armor still mostly worthless?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Robo Reagan posted:

The most important purpose armour serves is fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

Armor has gone from "nobody knows what it does" to "it does something, but you have to swing like a madman to see what".