Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Deified Data posted:

You're entering territory where for me the series went from good to great.

I read the manga like 3 times and watched the 99' version and then just watched the 11' version over the christmas break and fell in love and was mad at myself for not watching it for as long as I did so im giving it a re-watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Finally got into watching this show!

Almost gave up a few times though, everything before the Heavens Arena was pure trash, hated every minute of it.

Thread should really have a disclaimer at the top telling all new viewers to skip those arcs, it is a major series turn-off :barf:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

that's how I felt about your post

KoB
May 1, 2009
I mean, its kind of generic shonen at that point but I'd never say it was bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KoB posted:

I mean, its kind of generic shonen at that point but I'd never say it was bad.

Agreed. There are still some good episodes as well. Even if it does not hold up to the rest of the series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Thread should really have a disclaimer at the top telling all new viewers to skip those arcs, it is a major series turn-off :barf:

:barf: yourself

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Get bent, that poo poo was awful. Nothing but build up with no delivery for two loving seasons, nobody even fights for crying out loud :cry:

I will never complain about One Piece having a slow start after going through that mess, yikes.

When it finally picks up its stride its a pretty good show! Wish I had skipped to Season 3, there was just way too much set-up in those earlier ones.

White Light fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 3, 2017

Smets
Nov 4, 2009
Why were you still watching after two seasons of episodes you hated? Serious question.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Get bent, that poo poo was awful. Nothing but build up with no delivery for two loving seasons, nobody even fights for crying out loud :cry:

I will never complain about One Piece having a slow start after going through that mess, yikes.

Good show though! Wish I had skipped to Season 3

If you're unhappy with lots of buildup that doesn't lead to epic punchman battles then you should stop watching right here because some of the show's strongest moments are based around characterization and gimmicks rather than fighting. The fact that Heaven's Tower ended with Killua and Gon getting bored and leaving should have been a pretty clear sign of the show's priorities.

Edit: It does have some really excellent and amazing fights but it also has lots of non-fights.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 3, 2017

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Smets posted:

Why were you still watching after two seasons of episodes you hated? Serious question.

Because everyone kept telling me that the fights are about to 'hit me like a truck' so I pushed onwards despite my initial impressions.

EDIT: I'm all for build up but there was just far too much without balancing it with any action period. A long-rear end marathon run, the prison tower puzzle and that dumb cooking contest do not count.

I dunno man, this series has some huge flaws with those two arcs, even Fairy Tale had a much better intro to the series and it's Fairy Tale

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 3, 2017

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The Hunter Exam arc is fun. It sets the stage well for what exactly the world is like (modern but with distinctly fantastical elements), and shows a little bit of what Hunters are all about while introducing you to the main crew. Heavens Arena is interesting because Nen is interesting, and Gon vs. Hisoka is a good fight. Everything after that is what makes HxH what it is, though. I'm surprised people can be THAT turned off at the beginning though. I get that people are tired of by the numbers shonen stuff these days but I think everything about HxH is really likeable and well done, even the kinda-generic early bits.

But seriously if you're in this purely for the cool shonen fight scenes you're going to be disappointed because there are a few and they're loving Excellent but most of the time things won't be resolved that way.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 3, 2017

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Are either of the movies any good?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I kinda get where hes coming from, I like the manga but I couldn't get into the anime because it feels so slow paced.

But I liked the prison tower puzzles so i dunno

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

sharktamer posted:

Are either of the movies any good?

Noooooo no no no no.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay, so the first two arcs aren't SUPER representative of HxH, but they ain't BAD. I think a lot of people come into HxH with baggage and expectations of immediate Jojo Punch Battles, but it doesn't start that way. However, the Hunter Exam is fun on its own merits, I feel. Gon trying to avoid Hisoka's murderboner is great, for instance, and there's a fair bit of characterization going on there too. Killua Rescue Arc also has its moments, although it might be the weakest part of the series overall.

edit: also the puzzle tower BS is a lot more fun than the meandering middle part of Chimera Ant Arc.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Chimera Ants was the best arc in the series with some of the worst episodes in the series. It really is padded all to hell.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never seen the anime but the Chimera Ant in the manga has a lot of meandering and padding in how it's executed, to be fair. And then you get to Netero vs Meurem and it's like well gently caress this is amazing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I watched the anime and yeah, it's pretty hit or miss. When it's hot it's loving hot tho, and most characters introduced in that arc are great.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think all of HxH is pretty awesome. not a fan of the later bug fighting poo poo tho

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

that you think any of fairy tail is good is pretty damning tbqh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For context, the Hunter Exam Arc running to the Heaven's Arena Arc ran from about 1998-1999. This is shortly after One Piece started and Naruto began roughly in the middle of this and Togashi was basically going out of his way to establish that he was going to subvert accepted norms for shounen plot beats.

Also everything in those three arcs, especially Heaven's Arena is required world building for HxH which allows Togashi to hit the pedal to the metal with the Yorknew arc. By the time you're halfway through Yorknew you already know: how useful it is to be a licensed Hunter in this world in terms of increased freedom to do basically anything, how scary the Zoldycks are and most importantly the basics of how Nen works which gets expanded over time and he rarely stalls the momentum of the series completely to explain some crazy new concept which is suddenly so important (every shounen ever).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

holy poo poo @ the new chapter

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Honestly the 2011's take on the Hunter Exam arc and the Rescue Killua arc I just didn't feel was very good compared to the original anime or the mangas run of those arcs.

They got their groove on around Heavens Arena, but if I had been a newcomer to the show, I probably would not have stuck it out. But Parrotines complaints are more based around no fighting and uhhh sorry to tell you this buddy, but while this show has some absolutely fantastic fights, most of the best moments do not come from the characters punching on.

In Yorknew especially, most of the interesting part comes from the characters trying to avoid fighting because of how dangerous the antagonists with all their weird Nen powers can be.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Chimera Ant is fantastic and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

holy poo poo @ the new chapter

Came here expecting some news with all the updates. Instead it's a reminder that I need to actually watch the anime with as much time as I have to do so. I could have marathoned the complete thing dozens of times in the time this Hiatus has been going on.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the surreal poo poo with the koala and little girl Kite at the end of the chimera ant arc is what made me realize that Togashi was some kind of insane genius. It's just such a strange conclusion to the stuff that came before it, but it feels so powerful and beautiful

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

that you think any of fairy tail is good is pretty damning tbqh

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
who even is aware of fairy tail before they're aware of hunter x hunter. get off my loving lawn kids

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fairy tail has big baps.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Can I be baffled at how far fairy tail somehow managed to fall?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Hunter Exam rules.

Disliking it is almost as bad as making me think there's been some recent development by bumping the thread several times, when in fact there hasn't.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just have someone check the thread for you in advance to see if something new is happening.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I could never trust anyone else.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

The Hunter Exam rules.

Disliking it is almost as bad as making me think there's been some recent development by bumping the thread several times, when in fact there hasn't.

it's a slow burn and a lot of people think Shonen should just be punchmans from the get go.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Welp, at least I'm not alone since I'm always frantically looking for a new manga link when I see this thread update.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've made it my mission to post in this thread once a day.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

more people should be talking about hunter x hunter imo

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

The Hunter Exam rules.

No way bud, you're just looking through that with rose colored shades, step back and try to relive the horror, I dare you

As for me, I might as well wrap up the rest of the seasons since I've come this far, give it more time to gauge a better judgement overall

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The hunter exam is great after the first half of the cooking section. Everything before then is kind of not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im showing this to a few friends and we finished yorknew and they're both really liking it now after they kept talking it down for most of the hunters arc save some of the last part of the 3rd exam and the tournament

by the time the chrollo fight kicks off in the auction house they were fully hooked (they're both huge jojo fans and both watched dbz and YYH and compared it to all 3 and naruto in various capacities during the run)

I cant wait to get to the ant arc and ruin their souls