Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Craptacular! posted:

For you, it was a shocking event.
For people who watched the Giants all season, it was This poo poo Once Again.

I mean when you can't hold a 4-run lead against the San Diego Padres, not holding a 3-run lead against the Cubs can only be so surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Giants are cursed for not having Timmy Jim as their playoff reliever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Y'all are laughing now but you know it's going to be Romo who throws the 1-2-3 to slam the door on the Giants in the 14th inning of the NLDS.

Also Casilla is going to get 40 saves with the A's and get traded to the Nats at the deadline.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

After careful consideration and guidance from both my agent and God, I've decided to take my talents to SoDo. Go M's.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

After careful consideration and guidance from both my agent and God, I've decided to take my talents to SoDo. Go M's.

When you inevitably hear someone say "It's a light bat" and laugh for no apparent reason. It's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWhjzhi690c

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

:cool::hf::cool:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Der Meister posted:

No he will not. He is now a Dodger.

Oh okay cool I wasn't sure how contracts work thanks for the details.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
n: Mets re-signed Jerry Blevins (6MM) and Fernando Salas (3MM + incentives).

V: they were both OK last year so yay I guess?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

"Jerry Blevins" sounds like a guy who got wedgied a lot in high school.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Blevins is fine enough in his role, and Salas was fairly good when he came over from the Angels, so I'm down with the signings.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Speaking of the Mariners, I like their new revamped trident logo.

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/827585816679555073

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It blows my minds that the marketing groups at the Brewers and Mariners refuse to use the clearly superior glove/trident logos that every fan ever likes. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but I think teams can't help but gently caress with their logo every few years to try and shake things up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ended up picking up this book, Ken Ravizzas name kept popping up, thanks for the suggestions. Apparently Joe Maddon is a big believer in Ken and he has worked with the Rays and Cubs during the Maddon era.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Popete posted:

It blows my minds that the marketing groups at the Brewers and Mariners refuse to use the clearly superior glove/trident logos that every fan ever likes. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but I think teams can't help but gently caress with their logo every few years to try and shake things up.

Worst is the Padres who can't figure out literally no one is clamoring for more Navy Blue/Camo/Color scheme of the now Los Angeles Chargers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I want another turn forward the clock night because sleeveless jerseys rule

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh man, I was at the Turn Ahead the Clock Night game at the Kingdome years ago.

I wish I still had the hat they gave out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Brewers went from the awesome ball and glove logo to the terrible one immediately after with the stretched out M and B.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Per the MLB DR Twitter account, Marte is moving to CF for the Pirates. That sure is something.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
No one can beat the Diamondbacks uniforms which are only marginally less ugly this season.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Rand alPaul posted:

No one can beat the Diamondbacks uniforms which are only marginally less ugly this season.

There must be something wrong with me because I actually kinda loved those jerseys last year. Maybe because they were so different than everyone else.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

wrong thread

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Worst is the Padres who can't figure out literally no one is clamoring for more Navy Blue/Camo/Color scheme of the now Los Angeles Chargers.
:agreed:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Has any player ever been on the payrolls of two clubs at once?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

Has any player ever been on the payrolls of two clubs at once?

Bobby Bonilla signed with teams after the Mets, so I'll assume yes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Bobby Bonilla signed with teams after the Mets, so I'll assume yes.

I did check Bonilla - the payments he got from the Mets didn't start till 2011.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

I did check Bonilla - the payments he got from the Mets didn't start till 2011.

drat. I was so happy to have a chance to mention Bonilla that I didn't check the timing. I think Manny Ramirez would count; his deferred money with the Red Sox started mid-2011 and he signed a deal with Tampa in January of 2011.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Aren't there lots of dudes who get released, then get picked up by another team who only has to pay them the minimum, while their former team pays the remainder of their full contract?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Josh Hamilton will make around $28 million this year.

$2 million of it from Texas and the rest from the Angels.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

The Pussy Boss posted:

lol

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

2 teams paying doesn't seem super uncommon. I want to know if there's guys out there being paid by 3+ teams, or what's the most teams ever paying a dudes salary.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Angels' total contribution to that deal is $107.5 million for 3 total WAR, which I was expecting to be the worst big FA signing ever in terms of $/WAR, except the Angels (again) paid Gary Matthews Jr a total of $50 million for a grand total of 0 WAR.

e: Boston's contract with Pablo Sandoval is almost certainly going to be worse than that though - $95 million and he's currently at -1.1 WAR with 3 years left.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 5, 2017

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

2 teams paying doesn't seem super uncommon. I want to know if there's guys out there being paid by 3+ teams, or what's the most teams ever paying a dudes salary.

You're missing the point. What's funny is the Angels are paying him $26 million to play for another team.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

The Josh Hamilton thing is hilarious, I was more curious in a general way, like if some journeyman has a weird clause buried in a contract somewhere. like, oh the team you were on 4 times ago is still on the hook for 25k a year for some reason.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I want to say that the Dodgers and Padres were both paying for Kemp to play for the Braves last year, but idk if that's actually right

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Boston's contract with Pablo Sandoval is almost certainly going to be worse than that though - $95 million and he's currently at -1.1 WAR with 3 years left.

Ya know, Sandoval's probably done. He fell off a cliff in 2015, not just in his slash stats but in line drive %, hard hit %, defense, basically any peripherals you look at. And there are plenty of examples of fat guys who flamed out at a young age. But somehow I won't be that surprised if he wins the 3B job and has a decent year.

Maybe it's because he's such a weird player. It's like someone was messing around with video game sliders. Let's see what happens if we make a player who swings at literally everything, but makes a ton of contact, because he is the best bad-ball hitter in the league. Also he has elite athleticism, and at the same time he's a loving lardass.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Edwin Jackson got 4/50MM from the Cubs to put up a total of -4 WAR across four teams for the duration of that contract.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/828314231212740609
Eh I would put Cutch in LF, but much better than him being in CF I guess

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I want to say that the Dodgers and Padres were both paying for Kemp to play for the Braves last year, but idk if that's actually right

They were. In fact, the Dodgers and the Padres will combine to pay about 6 million a year of Kemp's salary through the end of his contract

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Mike Hampton?

e: Three teams were paying Hampton's contract, but it doesn't look like they were all doing it at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Julio Cruz posted:

e: Boston's contract with Pablo Sandoval is almost certainly going to be worse than that though - $95 million and he's currently at -1.1 WAR with 3 years left.

haaaaaa

seriously it's funny

• Locked thread