Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

couldcareless posted:

I'm still bummed they didn't manage to convert it to some sort of tie in with Wreck It Ralph.

They have a poo poo-ton of Fix It Felix Jr. machines on one floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wyhen i was a kid my dream was to visit disney quest and that sega part of innoventions because of that one vacation vhs i watched over and over again.

i owe it to myself to disney quest although im not a huge fan of disney springs :shrug:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Disney springs has some fantastic dining and the redesign is gorgeous. And I don't have a Uniqlo near me so it's a good opportunity to stock up on socks and shirts

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I come from the land of outlets and Tampa is also outlet city so *shrug*

Blaze pizza is cool though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

nimper posted:

Go with your gut and take him to MK first.

Empress Brosephine posted:

yeah you have to do MK first, it'd be silly not too. I mean yeah it makes the other parks look weaker but still worth it.

I know I'm late, but I agree. My first trip to Disney World was with my kids about 2 years ago, and I'll never forget going through the gate, and walking down Main St with the castle ahead. It was pretty cool, drat near 'Magical' ;) Definitely do that first.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gotta go MK first. Favorite park will always be Epcot, but taking people to MK first is just the thing you do.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I know this is the Disney thread but we sometimes talk Universal too. They have a promotion right now, a buy 2 days get 2 days free deal.

New Promotion for Universal Studios Orlando!!
Buy 2-Day tickets and Get 2 Days Free!
Here is the info on the offer:
The 2017 2-Park 2-Day Park-to-Park with 2 Days Free Ticket entitles one (1) guest admission to BOTH Universal Studios Florida™ and Universal's Islands of Adventure™ per day on the same day for the duration of the ticket. Ticket is valid for any four (4) calendar days during a seven (7) consecutive calendar day period which includes the first day any portion of the ticket is used. This ticket also includes seven (7) consecutive calendar days of admission to select live entertainment venues of Universal CityWalk™ ("CityWalk") which commences and includes the first day any portion of the ticket is used. First use of this ticket must be on or before May 25, 2017, to receive full benefit of the ticket entitlements. All ticket usage must be completed on or before May 31, 2017 when the ticket will expire in full. Unused days will be forfeited. This ticket will be sold only within the U.S. and Canada between February 1, 2017 and May 3, 2017.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How old do you think kids should be to fully enjoy Universal? I was kicking the idea of a 3 day trip to Universal Orlando (seems like you could do both of their parks in 3 days), but I think my 7 and 5 year old are probably a little young.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They can ride pretty much everything but the big coasters. Height wise they should be fine for everything below I'll post my recommended Universal ride list that skips the big coasters:

Islands of Adventure

Storm Force Acceleration
Spider-Man
King Kong Skull Island
Jurassic Park (one drop at the end like Splash Mtn)
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barge
Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls
Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey
Hippogriff family coaster
Hogwarts Express which takes you over to:

Universal

Harry Potter & the Escape from Gringotts
Men in Black
Simpsons
E.T.
Transformers
Despicable Me
Nighttime tribute to movies fireworks

There are also a lot of kid areas that aren't listed, like Pterodactyls, Dr. Seuss, and Woody Woodpecker.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 1, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

skipdogg posted:

How old do you think kids should be to fully enjoy Universal? I was kicking the idea of a 3 day trip to Universal Orlando (seems like you could do both of their parks in 3 days), but I think my 7 and 5 year old are probably a little young.

IOA is definitely good for kids, but Universal has plenty that they can enjoy. ET, Despicable Me, Shrek (maybe not for the 5-year-old since they have the air cannon spider effect), everything at both Harry Potter lands that's not a thrill ride, MIB, and the street stuff and parade.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I think I'm going to start planning a real family trip for the munchkin to make his first Disney experience in the next year and a half. Kiddo has gotten into the Mickey Mouse clubhouse and is obsessed with Sleeping Beauty and "Robin Tood" so we've got a good start to the indoctrination process.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

I think I'm going to start planning a real family trip for the munchkin to make his first Disney experience in the next year and a half. Kiddo has gotten into the Mickey Mouse clubhouse and is obsessed with Sleeping Beauty and "Robin Tood" so we've got a good start to the indoctrination process.

DO IT.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yes yes yes! Man, if I didn't have a husband wanting to try to buy a house, I'd be throwing a trip before my AP expires to you this spring, braks. I have to sustain myself with a Norwegian cruise in June (paid for by the Bank of Dad, who is my travel buddy for that one) as my major travel in 2017. I get my fix with your and Jim Testa's podcasts.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If you haven't booked that cruise yet, hit me up. I do cruises too! :)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you drove from New England to Florida before? Do you prefer i95 or 84?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just did DC back to Orlando before the holidays and 95 was easy miles. Not particularly pretty scenery, but traffic was relatively light and the roads were ok.

Up in the NYC/Jersey area it's a shitshow though, so I'd say go around all that.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

So as I'm wrapping up my trip to Universal, my only complaint is the lack of dining options in the parks. Or at least non-counter service ones. I know going out to CityWalk is an option, but in the parks there's Mythos and... like 1 other place. I kind of reached a point where I was like "I don't want another loving counter service meal".

Other than that, everything was awesome. I don't think I'd do 5 days again. I mean 9 rides on Flight of the Hippogriff is more than enough for me. But maybe 3 days.

Also I'm really glad Forbidden Journey isn't in 3D. I was getting motion sick just on the regular ride (and I'm not prone to motion sickness). I'd hate to see how bad the people in California or Japan or wherever who rode it in 3D felt.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree, Forbidden Journey is a fantastic ride but it can make me pretty queasy with the curves screens and slight rotation combined, which is funny because the actual thrill ride parts don't bother me at all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The trees part of forbidden joy age is still one of my most favorite moments in a ride ever.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Happitoo posted:

So as I'm wrapping up my trip to Universal, my only complaint is the lack of dining options in the parks. Or at least non-counter service ones. I know going out to CityWalk is an option, but in the parks there's Mythos and... like 1 other place. I kind of reached a point where I was like "I don't want another loving counter service meal".

Other than that, everything was awesome. I don't think I'd do 5 days again. I mean 9 rides on Flight of the Hippogriff is more than enough for me. But maybe 3 days.

Also I'm really glad Forbidden Journey isn't in 3D. I was getting motion sick just on the regular ride (and I'm not prone to motion sickness). I'd hate to see how bad the people in California or Japan or wherever who rode it in 3D felt.

Three table service places in the parks. Mythos (which is okay, not great), Lombard's Seafood (which is so very very bad), and Finnegans Pub (which is pretty great)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Three table service places in the parks. Mythos (which is okay, not great), Lombard's Seafood (which is so very very bad), and Finnegans Pub (which is pretty great)

I was extremely unimpressed by Mythos when I visited in 2013. How did it win "best theme park restaurant" five times (or whatever the number is)? Lack of competition? Drop in quality since its peak?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Grundulum posted:

I was extremely unimpressed by Mythos when I visited in 2013. How did it win "best theme park restaurant" five times (or whatever the number is)? Lack of competition? Drop in quality since its peak?

that banner is advertising an award given out by a theme park website based on their users votes. It's also not accurate anymore. as it hasn't won in a while.

The best table services places are both in Citywalk. Cowfish and Toothsomes are dope as hell places to get a bite to eat.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Busch Gardens has the best park food imho. Between the pretzel place and the bar be cue place. Also the safari outpost place gives Disney a run for external theming

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that banner is advertising an award given out by a theme park website based on their users votes. It's also not accurate anymore. as it hasn't won in a while.

The best table services places are both in Citywalk. Cowfish and Toothsomes are dope as hell places to get a bite to eat.

Cowfish is indeed awesome. Haven't had the sushi but their burgers are to die for.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody have thoughts on Hollywood and Vine? I did it like ten years ago and just remember a subpar buffet even as a 17 year old, but maybe it's changed. But, the girl wants to go because of the seasonal events they've been running there (We'll probably be there for the Springtime one).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

With Universal, your best option if you don't want counter service (which often has loving humongous lines) is to leave for Citywalk. All the good stuff is out there where more people will access it.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Tim Whatley posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Hollywood and Vine? I did it like ten years ago and just remember a subpar buffet even as a 17 year old, but maybe it's changed. But, the girl wants to go because of the seasonal events they've been running there (We'll probably be there for the Springtime one).

I haven't been, but in reading reviews of restaurants for a future trip, the consensus seems to be that it's basically only remotely worth it if you're there for the character interactions (I guess the have some unique costumes if that matters to people). The food itself is not a selling point.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I thought the Minnie's Seasonal Dine thing was fine. The food wasn't outstanding but it was pretty good. The character interaction is phenomenal though. Our reservation kind of late, around 7:30 when the park closed at 9, so it was pretty slow in there. We got some amazing character hijinks. It was a good time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Universal has always had awful food. Sea World too. Busch Gardens has the best though. The barbecue place is SO GOOD and the big food court in Pantopia :yum:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree, Forbidden Journey is a fantastic ride but it can make me pretty queasy with the curves screens and slight rotation combined, which is funny because the actual thrill ride parts don't bother me at all.

Every single ride with a screen makes me nauseous. Forbidden Journey, Soarin, Star Tours, even the China circle thing at Epcot.

I have tried Dramamine, accupressure wrist bands, ginger chews, gum, ale, and beer. I've tried bringing my own pristine 3d glasses in case it was scratches or smudges. I have sat in the exact center, the front, the back, and the sides. The only thing that's really worked is something called Travacalm that's only available in Australia, and not online.

The worst part is I used to be completely impervious to motion sickness. If anyone knows of anything else, I'd be grateful for suggestions. :)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just got back from WDW for the first time and it was amazing. However, in Futureland, the peoplemover ride broke down and when I was talking to the attendant about it, it was mentioned how the ride needed renovations but hasn't gotten that for quite a few years. How often are rides given regular maintenance?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TV Zombie posted:

Just got back from WDW for the first time and it was amazing. However, in Futureland, the peoplemover ride broke down and when I was talking to the attendant about it, it was mentioned how the ride needed renovations but hasn't gotten that for quite a few years. How often are rides given regular maintenance?

For most of the bigger, more complicated rides, I think maintenance is pretty regular. I imagine people mover doesn't get a ton of attention because it's a fairly safe and simple ride.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Beachcomber posted:

If anyone knows of anything else, I'd be grateful for suggestions. :)

I've gotten prescriptions for Scopolamine Transdermal Patches in the past, and they're wonderful. I'd suggest looking into it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fejsze posted:

I've gotten prescriptions for Scopolamine Transdermal Patches in the past, and they're wonderful. I'd suggest looking into it.

Thanks! I will definitely ask at my next checkup. I love Star Tours so much...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

couldcareless posted:

For most of the bigger, more complicated rides, I think maintenance is pretty regular. I imagine people mover doesn't get a ton of attention because it's a fairly safe and simple ride.

But one of the best, especially if you're hot, your kids are cranky, and you just want to get on SOMETHING.

I could probably ride the people mover for 30 minutes or so and just sit back and relax.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You're drat right. Next to carousel of progress, it might be the most relaxing ride.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tiki Room also :3

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I''l be making my Fastpasses Monday morning! I know if I don't get a Frozen one MY ENTIRE VACATION WILL BE RUINED.

Sucks that they changed it to 7AM eastern though for us West coasters. It was really nice booking them at 9pm back in 2014.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Edna Mode posted:

I''l be making my Fastpasses Monday morning! I know if I don't get a Frozen one MY ENTIRE VACATION WILL BE RUINED.

Sucks that they changed it to 7AM eastern though for us West coasters. It was really nice booking them at 9pm back in 2014.

prepare for vacation ruinage. frozen fastpasses are harder than loving Mine Train, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

prepare for vacation ruinage. frozen fastpasses are harder than loving Mine Train, goddamn.

Seriously? We got both during our trip over Marathon Week, and things were surely more crowded then than they are now. Did we just get hella lucky, or do they offer different numbers of fastpasses at different times of year?