Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I thought the crescent and star was just a texture used on movable blocks and not necessarily associated with the Gerudo.

It used to be on the mirror shield and in some places in the Spirit Temple too IIRC.

Basically anywhere you see this symbol:

It used to be a left-facing star and crescent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I thought the crescent and star was just a texture used on movable blocks and not necessarily associated with the Gerudo.

Found in the Spirit Temple, an ancient temple built by the Gerudo

:goonsay:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

What sort of idiot would pick up racial/religious connotations from a character who explicitly belongs to a race of middle-eastern looking people, who live in a desert and wear flowing clothes and know dark magic, whose symbol had to be changed because it was a symbol of the Islamic faith?????

Also to further the racial connotations, the Gerudo are always depicted as a race of criminals, either thieves or pirates, with the one associated as "good" having that specific role due to Ganondorf being too much of an evil dude.

I don't remember if the Gerudo were explicitly connected with the interlopers in Twilight Princess or if that was a theory floated around. Hopefully their presence in past games isn't indicative of their presence in Breath of the Wild but that may be something worth keeping an eye on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MacheteZombie posted:

Found in the Spirit Temple, an ancient temple built by the Gerudo

:goonsay:

it's a shame because that shield looks really pretty with that nice more low key symbol.

Pity it's linked to the shifty desert dwelling princess kidnapper and not, I dunno, the protagonists of a much cooler story where you're a Gerudo rebel fighting against Ganondorf in some 'he's from my tribe, he's my fight' honor thing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, it's all over in OOT in the Gerudo areas. IIRC the Fire Temple music was also some sort of Islamic prayer chant. Both got changed due to people (understandably) complaining after the first run of cartridges (so they're not in the 1.1 and 1.2 versions of OOT which are what most people have played).

Versions 1.1 and 1.2 of OoT were compiled before the game was out. Fire temple music was not changed because of complaints because nobody could have complained about a game that was not out yet. It was because someone at Nintendo heard it pre-launch and had it changed due to their very strict no religion policy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Pop Fiction had an interesting Youtube video about it and dug up a lot of samples used in the soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U34MFcJdGCo

I miss Pop Fiction. It was the version of Game Theory that didn't suck

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I had the version of the cartridge that had the moon on it.

What version did they change Gannondorf's blood from red to green?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

I had the version of the cartridge that had the moon on it.

What version did they change Gannondorf's blood from red to green?

It's green in the 3DS version.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I rented the 1.0, gold cartridge OoT from a store that closed down like a month later. My mom finally learned I wasn't returning the game and we drove over to return it and yeah, the business was no more. I got the chants, the star and moon, red blood and the misspelling of environments.

Not bad for 3 bucks :smuggo:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cubey posted:

Versions 1.1 and 1.2 of OoT were compiled before the game was out. Fire temple music was not changed because of complaints because nobody could have complained about a game that was not out yet. It was because someone at Nintendo heard it pre-launch and had it changed due to their very strict no religion policy.

Sorry, I heard it differently. You're probably right.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Pop Fiction had an interesting Youtube video about it and dug up a lot of samples used in the soundtrack

Gametrailers moved to Easy Allies and their Patreon got big enough for them to relaunch Pop Fiction and Retrospectives. Their Pop Fiction is known as Game Sleuth and currently has two episodes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

^ this is what i get for looking away for 5 minutes

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They're Game Sleuth now!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MikeCrotch posted:

[in a very Hideo Kojima voice]

well you see in order to improve combat effectiveness the Soviets surgically grafted another set of lungs onto test subjects which protruded from the chest. These had to be allowed freedom of movement in order to preserve the natural breathing motion.

of course it only worked on females due to hormonal issues, furthermore

:razz:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Lindsay Ellis just released a short but informative video about the concept of Planting and Payoff, using Mad Max: Fury Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLGN7zv-3k&t=619s

Just further shows how this movie is so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:swoon:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
{Some pro-Milo propaganda poo poo pops up on my timeline}

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

{retweeted by JonTron}

For gently caress's sake.

{unfollow}

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

In other drama news, Lindsey Ellis thought her contract with Maker studios was suppose to end today. Apparently it's not and now shes pissed.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

BigRed0427 posted:

In other drama news, Lindsey Ellis thought her contract with Maker studios was suppose to end today. Apparently it's not and now shes pissed.

Thought as in "that's what the contract said".

As usual, the only way to get a corporation to do anything is to throw a shitfit on Twitter. (I'm looking at you, UPS, you "overnight" motherfuckers).

Even if you don't want to throw a shitfit, or aren't even in a shitfit mood, it's the only way to get customer service these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maker Studios only technically exists now, no? Are they really going to hold her to a contract after not delivering on fixing her website that they destroyed?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What does Maker do at this point?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Cater to their highest earners, try desperately (and fail spectacularly) to become a content farm for Disney, and siphon YouTube revenue off the main body of the channels under their MCN.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The new Pre Rec review can only be called "absudrist":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26TiFgfQlQ

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

Support at least neonazi wannabe?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I'm sure this is come up in the thread before, but who the hell is still paying Noah antwiler? Seems like $1,000 a month is about his floor.

If he would just poo poo out one 30 minute video every 2 months he could have a $10,000 patreon. As a regular working guy I can't understand why you would take a dump on such an opportunity. He talks a lot about his health, but I think we can all agree as Internet people we've dealt with our share of mental health and physical health problems.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gameko posted:

I'm sure this is come up in the thread before, but who the hell is still paying Noah antwiler? Seems like $1,000 a month is about his floor.

If he would just poo poo out one 30 minute video every 2 months he could have a $10,000 patreon. As a regular working guy I can't understand why you would take a dump on such an opportunity. He talks a lot about his health, but I think we can all agree as Internet people we've dealt with our share of mental health and physical health problems.

He has a very serious disease that untreated has a good chance of killing him. It's not really something to joke about.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What's weirder than people still throwing money at Spoony is how people keep bringing it up for no particular reason.

Also what an odd and presumptuous thing to say about someone's health.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 4, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gameko posted:

You have to hit rock bottom to want to change when you're depressed and his Patreon money is a buffer keeping him from hitting rock bottom.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

As someone who is suffering from a serious illness, Spoony has my sympathy and support.

As someone who takes money while not producing content, Spoony gets no sympathy from me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the people who still fork him money don't give a poo poo, why should you

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well the guy is saying he'll provide a service in exchange for monetary incentives, and he well, isn't. But is still taking the money anyways.

Spoony told me he'd give me a burger tomorrow for money today and its been 3 years and I still haven't got my burger.

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 4, 2017

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Leal posted:

Spoony told me he'd give me a burger tomorrow for money today and its been 3 years and I still haven't got my burger.

He ate your burger and laughed while he did it.

#BurgerGate

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Leal posted:

Well the guy is saying he'll provide a service in exchange for monetary incentives, and he well, isn't. But is still taking the money anyways.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

He ate your burger and laughed while he did it.

#BurgerGate

Ya'll are to blame for this

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean I'm not pro-fraud or anything, but after a certain point, if it's not your cash, who cares? Apparently there's a bunch of people who are too optimistic for their own good, or are just OK throwing money at a dude with no payoff. It's their choice, and unless Spoony comes out with something resembling criticism, I don't see why he's worth bringing up anymore.

Just treat it like the jillion gofundmes for random internet people who may or may not be lying about their imminent homelessness or whatever and ignore it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He clearly must just have some fans who have a lot of extra income or something because I would think most people wouldn't want to fork over cash that is (supposedly) going towards actual work which has not been done.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
In any other job sick pay and poo poo would be included so, I dunno I don't feel this burning hatred that Spoony isn't homeless. I mean all that patreon poo poo is basically making yourself employed by other people, if they're willing to cover his sick pay etc let them. He's not some scumbag criminal any more than anyone who can't do their job because of an illness is.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

He clearly must just have some fans who have a lot of extra income or something because I would think most people wouldn't want to fork over cash that is (supposedly) going towards actual work which has not been done.

Considering that the Patreon isn't the most well put-together platform on the planet, there's no way of knowing how many of those pledges are actually going through (instead of, for example, trying to draw from an expired or canceled card) and even then the pledges are averaged out to about $3.75 apiece so it's not like anybody's going poor supporting him.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Deport The Irish posted:

Considering that the Patreon isn't the most well put-together platform on the planet, there's no way of knowing how many of those pledges are actually going through (instead of, for example, trying to draw from an expired or canceled card) and even then the pledges are averaged out to about $3.75 apiece so it's not like anybody's going poor supporting him.

Patreon actually cancels pledges if the card declines. That's why there's always a big drop in patrons at the beginning of each month but then it tends to rebound after as people fix their cards, though it looks like Spoony's patrons are mostly just letting their patronage lapse when this happens (in comparison Linkara's Patreon usually regains almost all its supporters).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cosmically_cosmic posted:

In any other job sick pay and poo poo would be included

"sick pay" is like 10 days a year you can call out. Spoony is effectively on long term disability.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

WampaLord posted:

"sick pay" is like 10 days a year you can call out. Spoony is effectively on long term disability.

Long term disability then?

All I'm getting at is if you're gonna make it your personal mission to go after this guy you kind of also have to be saying that anyone else with long term disability should be thrown to the wolves too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here is the thing with Spoony: Does he actually have any problems other then depression? Every other month he will tweet about seeing a doctor for different illnesses and nothing comes of it. What was the last one, shingles? It feels like he is digging for sympathy every time he comes up with a new health problem, the guy apparently has immunodeficiency.

If he changed his patreon to just say "I used to make videos, I'm in the dumps, please pay money so I can survive" then whatever. But I'm pretty sure there are some desperate people just hoping, maybe this time spoony will make a video. Maybe this time when the charge goes through he'll turn around and make a video. Maybe this time. Maybe some new people see his videos, find his patreon and think "oh boy I should donate!" And spoony is riding these people out. There is 78 people paying him 5 clams a month to be thanked in a video. What video? Lets not forget, this is after he changed his rewards. He used to have ones where if you donated 100 bucks you got a one on one session with him. 3 people paid for that, and I imagine they didn't get what they paid 100 bucks a month for. No refunds, no apology, nothing. He'll quietly take the money and wont give you anything in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I agree, if he legit has problems other than depression and that's the reason he can no longer do the stuff he's promising he'll do that's fine, but he needs to be clear about it. He could do a GoFundMe or whatever instead if that's what is needed.

• Locked thread