Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Actually, 100% evasion (or 50% with Insight) is all you ever need. Anything that can't be dodged with that is either an art, S-craft or unblockable special.

I THINK it's still possible to miss with 100% hit, but it'll be so infrequent you might as well ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
And even then, you can use Shield 3 and/or Crescent Shell and make yourself mostly impervious to arts too.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Nope, you can eat regular old hits plenty often with 50%+50% evasion on nightmare, especially early on.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, now I remember what I most disliked about CS1's story: Why is nobody ever forthcoming with any information?

I mean I know why, it's because the story would be less effective of you knew all the things the characters do, but it just makes me irrationally hate the characters who are being super secretive for no apparent reason. I wish Falcom would write less of these characters but this game especially is absolutely full of people who know way more than you do and only tell it to you when it would be most shocking to do so.

Sara is the only one I can forgive for it because she clearly just enjoys messing with people in this fashion whenever possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Oh, now I remember what I most disliked about CS1's story: Why is nobody ever forthcoming with any information?

I mean I know why, it's because the story would be less effective of you knew all the things the characters do, but it just makes me irrationally hate the characters who are being super secretive for no apparent reason. I wish Falcom would write less of these characters but this game especially is absolutely full of people who know way more than you do and only tell it to you when it would be most shocking to do so.

Sara is the only one I can forgive for it because she clearly just enjoys messing with people in this fashion whenever possible.

Because most of the characters have a reason to keep their information secret because it puts them in dangerous or harmful positions and it would be frankly stupid to be open about it.

Like even if you go "Wow, Class VII should be more open to each other" you gotta remember that midway through the game they get a literal open spy for the Ironbloods forced into their class. Anyone outside of Class VII puts themselves in serious risk of death or imprisonment or being used as part of someone's schemes the more information they give out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I can see how the post is misleading now, but I was mainly talking about CS2, actually, which seems to continue the trend even more heavily (this time, instead of inside Class VII, it's between Class VII and everyone else).

And sure, you could justify most cases of this. I still don't like it one bit as a storytelling device, but I guess I'm in the minority on that and it's not like I can do anything about it except complain and keep going because minor writing squabbles aren't going to stop me from enjoying the rest of the game. I just hope that by CS3 all the secrets have finally been aired out between the major cast members so we get less of this and more of everyone being on equal footing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I can see how the post is misleading now, but I was mainly talking about CS2, actually, which seems to continue the trend even more heavily (this time, instead of inside Class VII, it's between Class VII and everyone else).

And sure, you could justify most cases of this. I still don't like it one bit as a storytelling device, but I guess I'm in the minority on that and it's not like I can do anything about it except complain and keep going because minor writing squabbles aren't going to stop me from enjoying the rest of the game. I just hope that by CS3 all the secrets have finally been aired out between the major cast members so we get less of this and more of everyone being on equal footing.

Oh! I understand what you mean there.

Well, I'm of two minds in that I do think it's justified from a story perspective but I think you're right that's it's annoying. It is like the near-constant rescue/forced lose battles. It makes sense as a plot thing but it gets tiring when it happens so drat often.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Who was it that was saying the Time Gem is useless in Sky SC? I'm currently replaying it and the gem is bonkers good, despite the drawbacks. -14% is pretty big, but it can be mitigated and insta-casting any and all arts is pretty insane.

Also, since ADF is always lower than DEF, even with low ATS, you can still do a ton of damage.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 2, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's pretty silly how every time Valimar is about to make an appearance, the villains who were just about to defeat you decide it's time to retreat for no reason (or for the reason that reinforcements just arrived for their side???) because apparently the writers couldn't come up with a better excuse for why you didn't just get defeated there.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

They all just want to listen to Awakening.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In CS2, do the various status effect chances stack in any way? If I equip freeze 1 and 2, and use a craft with 50% freeze, is that then 80% freeze?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Amppelix posted:

In CS2, do the various status effect chances stack in any way? If I equip freeze 1 and 2, and use a craft with 50% freeze, is that then 80% freeze?

I'm not sure whether your chances are added together or rolled separately, but they do stack.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They're rolled separately. You can mostly easily see this by putting Juggler on Machias and filling him up with status effect quartz.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fie once again demonstrates why she's the best when Celine is giving one her annoying noncommital "Who knows?" answers and Fie responds with "She totally does." Glad someone finally called somebody out on being excessively secretive!

Tangentially related to that, I'm really impressed with the amount of conditional dialogue this game has. I can't imagine they keep this up for the entire game but there's a pretty large number of party member combinations you could take with you in various parts of chapter one and it doesn't ever feel like the characters are doing mad libs dialogue (ok i noticed a couple spots where Rean clearly doesn't respond to a line but really minor ones) or that the optionally available party members have less dialogue overall.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh poo poo I get to suikoden up my airship this is the best RPG ever made

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Act 2 and up in CS2 is a lot of fun and is the primary reason I came around to really liking the whole Cold Steel experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G21PIPt46rU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Recruiting Becky was all I needed to know CS2 was GOTY 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You know, now that I've said Suikoden, I think CS is starting to remind me quite a lot of Suikoden 3, actually. The battle system especially has some pretty striking similarities (despite actually playing a lot differently). And also the part where everyone is animated like they have several sticks up their rear end (although they majorly fixed up animations for CS2).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Heck yeah beat Xanadu Next. That is a very solid Falcom action title. It could use a plethora of quality of life improvements but I would definitely play more games in that style. So, basically Tokyo Xanadu I guess?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tokyo Xanadu doesn't really play like Xanadu Next from what I've seen

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's trails of cold steel's field movement and attack system with just dodges and a combo counter that you try to maintain all the way through a stage

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Cake Attack posted:

Tokyo Xanadu doesn't really play like Xanadu Next from what I've seen

It's in an entirely different genre really. Tokyo Xanadu is a Persona-like dungeon crawling with reused art and game assets from CS/Sen with dodging mechanics and there's a semi-decent game in there on the hardest difficulty, but it's full of fluff (which can be skipped, if you just want the gameplay). Xanadu Next is very obviously a western inspired PC game experience.

There is really no other alternative to Xanadu Next from Falcom, pretty unfortunate. Maybe look into the Brandish line.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the fan tl for brandish 2 is coming out within the next couple months, even

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Am I correct in my belief that all the "gain x at the start of battle for y turns" - type master quartz in the Cold Steels are trash? Sure, it's nice for random battles but those are easy anyway. You'd run out of the buff not even halfway into any actually hard fight (which also tend to only get harder as they go on anyway), and you'd be sorely missing some of the actually persistent useful effects you could have instead. My belief in this is so firm that I've instantly ripped the quartz off once I had other options and thrown them in the figurative trash, which is why I'm asking if it actually works out somehow and I was too hasty in my judgement. The other reason I'm asking is I was browsing the CS2 quartz and it looks like one of the "ultimate" ones is just one of these that gives stealth, which seems real useless to me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

*Laura gets 50% boost in Strength*

*Immediately use 200 Break*

*boss loses 50~% of health on the very first turn and several adds immediately die*

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You could do that, or you could use the one which gives her 1.5 times damage, buff her attack via the myriad other means available and get an even stronger nuts move? Buffing is so easy in this game that dedicating an entire master quartz to it, when they have such cool and unique effects available, just doesn't sit right with me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can switch quartz before boss fights

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Amppelix posted:

You could do that, or you could use the one which gives her 1.5 times damage, buff her attack via the myriad other means available and get an even stronger nuts move? Buffing is so easy in this game that dedicating an entire master quartz to it, when they have such cool and unique effects available, just doesn't sit right with me.

But I had that one on Rean!!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

you can switch quartz before boss fights

Very true. I do tend to avoid changing people's orbments whenever possible though, because whenever I open that screen I find myself spending 20 minutes there doing absolutely nothing but staring uselessly at everyone's setup to make sure everything's in order.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I tended to always prioritize Delay-boosting Quartz for Rean since that was his primary purpose, until he gets Vermillion at least. Tauros is great for Laura yeah but didn't really use that until I got the Quartz that also doubles the first attack/craft of the character in the battle.

Megalixir posted:

There is really no other alternative to Xanadu Next from Falcom, pretty unfortunate. Maybe look into the Brandish line.
Yea I already played/beat the PSP remake of Brandish 1 and liked it a lot. If the TL patch for the second one does indeed come to pass I'll definitely dive into that one.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 5, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Amppelix posted:

Am I correct in my belief that all the "gain x at the start of battle for y turns" - type master quartz in the Cold Steels are trash? Sure, it's nice for random battles but those are easy anyway. You'd run out of the buff not even halfway into any actually hard fight (which also tend to only get harder as they go on anyway), and you'd be sorely missing some of the actually persistent useful effects you could have instead. My belief in this is so firm that I've instantly ripped the quartz off once I had other options and thrown them in the figurative trash, which is why I'm asking if it actually works out somehow and I was too hasty in my judgement. The other reason I'm asking is I was browsing the CS2 quartz and it looks like one of the "ultimate" ones is just one of these that gives stealth, which seems real useless to me.

Jusis's isn't bad until you get Noble Command, especially on higher difficulties, as you don't really have many ways to boost ATS otherwise.
Laura's is passable in that you save a turn buff-stacking on her, meaning she can run off and do stuff by herself earlier.

They're mainly to provide an early boost so that someone can do work on the enemy team while the rest of yours buff up. It's less of a help on single-target bosses with a massive health pool and better against multiple minibosses.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, that and I believe most of the "boost stat X at the start of each battle" MQ also have very solid innate boost for that stat. (for example, the boost strength at the start of battle gives the highest boost to your strength stat of any of the Master Quartz)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Do not underestimate the quartz that cause the first physical or magic attacks to do more damage. There is no way to do more damage in a single turn than those two and endgame bosses have so much health that you really wanna start off with the one two punch of Laura and Emma hitting them as hard as they possibly can.

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012
I think I kept Emma on the quartz that restored MP based on magic damage. She could drop her biggest nuke every turn and never run low.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if she has Pandora and Hades she'll only need to nuke once

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The fiddle player is going to be an ouroboros enforcer, isn't he

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Amppelix posted:

The fiddle player is going to be an ouroboros enforcer, isn't he

Nah, Bleublanc wouldn't accept another Ouroboros enforcer who talks like Olivier into the fold. There can be only one.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Erpy posted:

Nah, Bleublanc wouldn't accept another Ouroboros enforcer who talks like Olivier into the fold. There can be only one.

Checks out.

Also I finished SC last night. Things escalated quickly and Weissman is a sick gently caress. Also dead. Hurray.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The magic knights are really boring bosses. What's this, another big pile of health that can't be inflicted with anything and which hits me really hard? Say it ain't so!

Seriously, no weakness, no gimmick, no strategy expect hit it hard and don't die. Wow. Cool. They don't even seem to inflict any ailments so you could pretend that there's a bit of strategy in preparing the right resisting equipment for the fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they can be inflicted with delay and that's all that matters