Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad that according to the opening my boy Magetta will be back in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm glad that according to the opening my boy Magetta will be back in the ring.

Magetta is the best. Nobody insult him this time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New OP is great. Pretty interesting what they started to do with the coloring, I like how it looks for the most part but it seems like they just put a filter on the image and some scenes look too blurry as a result.

Goku is seriously a danger to everyone around him huh.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, love the new opening. Wonder if we're supposed to be thinking "holy poo poo Goku's finally gone too far."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Somehow, some way, Vegeta will make the situation a hundred time worse.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Don't think anyone posted it, but Funimation posted a sub of this arc's trailer:

(Spoilers?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Lrimd-8Ho

Turns out if your Universe loses the tournament, it's immediately destroyed.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i am glad Vegeta is making up for missing Trunks' birth and stuff, he's a good dad and husband

also thank god Goku got Goten away from Chichi and even let him have like a whole scene where he had some personality. its a new dawn for Goten. unfortunately now he'll get shoved aside and be irrelevant for this entire arc.

goku is definitely being too carefree and childish about too many things and it seems like they're setting up for it to catch up to him now that he's playing with things entirely out of his league. but i wonder if he'll actually suffer any negative consequences or if he'll just "learn his lesson" and then keep acting how he always has. probably the latter

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I wouldn't be suprised if Goku is carefree throughout the tourney while everyone is basically losing their minds because of the stakes.

Then again, he probably would be, because that is so classic him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Screencapped a few things from the OP.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am genuinely so excited about this tournament.

I have no idea what they're going to do with all of this but it's just so good. This is peak Dragon Ball. Master Goddamn Roshi is going to fight for the fate of the universe.

What a time to be alive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It turns out it's all a big con. One episode into the tournament the Zenos get bored and the tournament ends, followed by a 3-episode arc about Tien learning how to square dance.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is that one of Beerus's race on the Aaaaaylmao's team?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Episode was great, loved the new OP and music.

I'm curious to see if the stuff with Goku getting shot is going somewhere in the long term, maybe as a part of the thing about him becoming old now. This episode compared it to Krillin a week or two ago, but it also gave me flashbacks to Frieza and Sorbet.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Episode was great, loved the new OP and music.

I'm curious to see if the stuff with Goku getting shot is going somewhere in the long term, maybe as a part of the thing about him becoming old now. This episode compared it to Krillin a weak or two ago, but it also gave me flashbacks to Frieza and Sorbet.

There seems to be some overall arch of Goku getting older and getting caught off guard they're building on but I'm not sure where they're going for it. He's gotten killed twice by it in Super alone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It turns out it's all a big con. One episode into the tournament the Zenos get bored and the tournament ends, followed by a 3-episode arc about Tien learning how to square dance.

Zenos not loving around. That "game" he was plying at the beginning was using real planets as pieces. 202 matches and I count 22 planets, so a total of 4,444 confirmed planets kills from Xeno. Just from playing :v:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Screencapped a few things from the OP.

I really like the pharaoh lady, and the fish man

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rutibex posted:

Zenos not loving around. That "game" he was plying at the beginning was using real planets as pieces. 202 matches and I count 22 planets, so a total of 4,444 confirmed planets kills from Xeno. Just from playing :v:

Zeno is monstrous, holy poo poo.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Those planets are his and we are wrong to judge him for exploding them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rutibex posted:

that's not counting the board they knocked over either.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

is Goku really the villain of this arc? sure seems like it :stonk:

but yeah, Torunament of Power is going to be really good! I liked the DBZ esque filter they used, but it felt a little blurry at times. Maybe it'll get better as they use it more.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Maybe Dragon Ball Super is actually about Goku going through his midlife crisis?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well if you think about it Goku has mostly taken over Vegeta's job as the dude whose main contribution is to make everything worse.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Augus posted:

Maybe Dragon Ball Super is actually about Goku going through his midlife crisis?

This has honestly always been my perception of Super: Goku's midlife crisis, trying to get back his glory days of running around and punchin' dudes. He keeps complaining about being bored and wanting to train and fight more, and keeps slipping up and doesn't seem to really register that he's getting older and older. And now here he is, thinking his pal Zen-chan is just hosting a nice tournament where he can go around punchin' dudes, when in reality it could cause the destruction of gorillions of lives. It's the punch monkey equivalent to buying a sports car, yacht, and just burning through retirement money, alienating his friends and family in the process.

He's shown moments of realizing this, like when was babysitting Pan, but things keep happening that push him back into old habits.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I am now suddenly struck with extreme concern that Super is going to end with someone/Beerus deciding that Goku has gone too far and the only solution given the carnage is to use the super dragon balls to reverse time to the point before Beerus originally turns up and stopping him from finding Goku and Vegeta so then the timeline goes on uneventfully like it originally was implied to at the end of Z for the epilogue.

Additionally, Vegeta is now 100% a better person than Goku is and I hope at some point the show explicitly calls this out.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We're playing in the realm of gods here you goofs. Even back in the earliest days of DBZ we saw entire planets wiped out

It'd be lame if a gorillion people DIDNT die constantly now that we're on a whole nother level

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kithkar posted:

Additionally, Vegeta is now 100% a better person than Goku is and I hope at some point the show explicitly calls this out.

Goku did invite Goten to come train with him at Whis place. I think this confirms that ChiChi is in fact the bad parent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

An interesting thing about this episode is that we do see these alternative possibilities for other lifestyles Goku could focus on other than just mindless fightin'. He not only now has a steady income, but his farming efforts have also provided popular crops that people go out of their way to buy. The market dude in this episode even completely blows off another guy to buy Goku's produce, and yet Goku himself doesn't seem to quite understand the significance of this, seeing the farming only as a means to the end of getting Chi-Chi to stop nagging or whatever.

Even with Goten, despite the scenario making it initially seem like Chi-Chi's complaining was just another joke, shows that his understanding of social mores that he likely picked up from Chi-Chi (Or Gohan, who would have learned about that from her anyways) basically allowed Goku to get the training session he wanted. While Goten ends up not going to Whis' planet, he finds a comfortable middle ground by staying on Earth due to Trunks' offer to train there. The idea of staying on Earth to train with Vegeta doesn't even occur to Goku.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

is Goku really the villain of this arc? sure seems like it :stonk:

no this won't be happening no matter how much everyone rushes to talk about how goku is the real villain or whatever, much like the previous 500 times

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Counterpoint Goku is going to be the villain as he is the villain t every arc.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Yinlock posted:

no this won't be happening no matter how much everyone rushes to talk about how goku is the real villain or whatever, much like the previous 500 times

I dunno, he's on pace to beat Vegeta's intentional assholishness with the sheer scale of his unintentional fuckup.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why is broly in the new op

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

There's a girl Broly in Universe 6 and she owns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

That's not broly. It's just a legendary super saiyan.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Counterpoint Goku is going to be the villain as he is the villain t every arc.

goku did nothing wrong

he is very concerned about bulma's weight in this episode, like a good friend

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like the new OP.

Goku's sort of a huge nuisance isn't he...

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Yinlock posted:

goku did nothing wrong

he is very concerned about bulma's weight in this episode, like a good friend

He kicked up the dust that started the extinction of a dozen universes, he did everything wrong

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If you think about it, it's actually all the Oracle Fish's fault for telling Beerus about the super saiyan god thing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Gruckles posted:

If you think about it, it's actually all the Oracle Fish's fault for telling Beerus about the super saiyan god thing.

That guy in the background is Oracle Fish's Final Form. He is the Big Bad of the arc.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

i am glad Vegeta is making up for missing Trunks' birth and stuff, he's a good dad and husband

I like the part where a smile briefly flashes across his face before he had to remind himself that smiling is not a thing he does, ever.

Yinlock posted:

Normally I'd agree, but the show quite explicitly made sure we know the whole apocalypse tournament is only happening because Goku refused to let sleeping dogs lie just to get his fight on. They didn't put in a frame of Goku giving a malicious grin for shits and giggles, either. Obviously this is still Dragon Ball and Goku will learn his lesson and fix his mistakes by punching someone else in the face, but a fair part of this arc is probably gonna be about how Goku put all of reality at risk for his own selfish wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Multiple universes will die purely because Goku wanted a good scrap.

I'd be surprised if any of the destruction ends up being permanent, though.

• Locked thread