Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

How cosmopolitan of him.

Very un-british IMO. Even Ed going out with 4 women was considered spicy for politics. Not to mention Corbyn -gasp- sleeping with a black woman (who to be fair isn't a great politician, but whatever).

30 AD - Jesus Christ was (allegedly) crucified by the Romans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4192022/Nigel-Farage-sharing-pad-French-politician.html

Interesting that it's the Daily Mail who have turned on him. The top comment, which is anti-Brexit, even has more upvotes than downvotes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think it's more the fact that he got her a job in politics after he met her when she was a waitress, and then she syphoned off hundreds of thousands of pounds of EU money to UKIP that's raising eyebrows rather than her age.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The guardian have written a whole article and given it prominent billing because Diane Abbott's office said they 'expect' her to vote with the whip on Article 50 rather than she definitely will.

I mean it's slightly wishy-washy phrasing, but saying they expect her to vote with the whip is really as far as they can be expected to go without actually making the decision for her.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

learnincurve posted:

I think it's more the fact that he got her a job in politics after he met her when she was a waitress, and then she syphoned off hundreds of thousands of pounds of EU money to UKIP that's raising eyebrows rather than her age.

Pretty sure it's all of it. The adultery too, I mean it's the Daily Mail we're talking about.

Remember the storm over Hollandes affair.

e: God the comments:

quote:

Nothing proven, just anti-UKIP mainstream media intentionally making tenuous assumptions. Yet Keith V@z - even with his utterly abh0rrent antics proven - still lands himself an esteemed job with the Parliament's Justice Committee. And he's just one of a multitude that have never really suffered for their genuinely depr@ved lifestyles. The Lab/Con Establishment looks after its own, no matter what the public sees and thinks.

Yeah the Daily Mail, a well-known anti-UKIP media outlet.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 5, 2017

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

HJB posted:

Interesting that it's the Daily Mail who have turned on him. The top comment, which is anti-Brexit, even has more upvotes than downvotes.

It's a Mail on Sunday story. Different editor (who by all accounts loathes Paul Dacre), but a shared online platform.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's with the @s?
Is it just that they can't bring themselves to spell those terrible terrible words or is it some alt-right poo poo like the (((echoes)))?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HJB posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4192022/Nigel-Farage-sharing-pad-French-politician.html

clearly farage is a breast man

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

So I'm going to assume Farage has been signed as columnist by another rag for the Mail to run this story. I'm guessing the Sun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

I was going to say something about that but the bailing out/selling back to private hands is a terrible move so I think it'd have been better to keep the banks and the debt.

Nationalising the banks wasn't automatically a bad idea. The bad idea was when the Tories yet again sold off the equity at an overall loss.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's a Mail on Sunday story. Different editor (who by all accounts loathes Paul Dacre), but a shared online platform.

The Mail on Sunday will try to contradict Dacre as much as possible while remaining a fascist shitrag. They were pro-remain for example.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Baron Corbyn posted:

The Mail on Sunday will try to contradict Dacre as much as possible while remaining a fascist shitrag. They were pro-remain for example.

The DMGT group editors all hate each other's guts, but each of them will consistently publish whatever piece of poo poo they think will give them audience and advertising money because they only really care about that, in the end. They don't give a poo poo about pushing a political agenda.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Newcastle United's army of fans is used to long journeys, and one found a way to cut the cost of a trip to Oxford - but it needed 56 separate rail tickets.

Jonny Heywood booked split tickets from Tyneside for the Magpies' fourth round FA Cup clash last weekend.

Mr Heywood said he saved £56 by not buying one ticket for the whole trip - but was left with a stack of seat reservations and returns.

He and his girlfriend were left juggling 28 tickets each.

In his tweet, Mr Heywood, of Washington, jokingly thanked his friend for the "worst advice" he said he had ever received.

The tweet prompted other people to tell of their own thriftiness, including a football fan who posted a picture of a mound of tickets for a trip to see Southampton, which he said saved him £30.

Split tickets can save passengers money as separate fares for each leg of a journey - all on the same train - are sometimes cheaper than one ticket covering the entire trip.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-38827931

kinda funny but also highlights how ridiculous the rail fare system in the UK is.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

The DMGT group editors all hate each other's guts, but each of them will consistently publish whatever piece of poo poo they think will give them audience and advertising money because they only really care about that, in the end. They don't give a poo poo about pushing a political agenda.

Yes and no, it seems kinda naive to say that Dacre isn't pushing a political agenda TBH.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

JFairfax posted:

kinda funny but also highlights how ridiculous the rail fare system in the UK is.

it's that way because of patchwork subsidies to protect niche groups

the entire logical, and predictable, impact of making these subsidies more obvious is that they'll become more expensive to sustain and then be finally dismantled, two decades after the transition to unregulated fares

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I read somewhere that they were passing a law to make it illegal to have a long distance ticket more expensive than the cheapest set of split legs, which aims to remove the ridiculousness (but can't find the article now). Although, the end result will probably just be the individual legs increase in price rather than the long distance tickets getting cheaper.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What royally pisses me off is that the train companies say there is no way to buy season tickets that cover the whole or part of the country because, complicated, different companies on different computer systems, the computers say no. This is total bollocks because a railway pass that covers the whole of the UK already exists. http://www.interrail.eu/interrail-passes/one-country-pass the honest answer is "we don't want to because it will cost us too much money".

E: I once saved about £150 on a trip to Newcastle for 3 by buying a single ticket to the next station in a different county where there was a promotion running.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

feedmegin posted:

We've got tablets and drones and VR and military dog robot things, what more do you want? :colbert:

I want to be an elf

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
You can get season ticket rovers? Freedom of 'x' etc, that isn't a hidden thing I don't think?

Don't get me wrong TOCs are bastards when it comes to tickets and will only get worse as their subsidy is reduced. Disappointing but not at all surprising to see ASLEF and the TUC have thrown the RMT under the bus with this Southern agreement. The new OBS guidelines on when a train can run without a second person on board may aswell read 'whenever the driver has a consonant in their name'.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HJB posted:

i'm the totoro sweater

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
So is corbs going to abstain now?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I want the moon on a stick.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Attention all renters: Tee-May's got your back!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/04/may-abandons-home-owning-democracy-thatcher-tories

quote:

A major shift in Tory housing policy in favour of people who rent will be announced by ministers this week as Theresa May’s government admits that home ownership is now out of reach for millions of families.
In a departure from her predecessor David Cameron, who focused on advancing Margaret Thatcher’s ambition for a “home-owning democracy”, a white paper will aim to deliver more affordable and secure rental deals, and threaten tougher action against rogue landlords, for the millions of families unable to buy because of sky-high property prices. Ministers will say they want to change planning and other rules to ensure developers provide a proportion of new homes for “affordable rent” instead of just insisting that they provide a quota of “affordable homes for sale”.
They will also announce incentives to encourage landlords to offer “family-friendly” guaranteed three-year tenancies, new action to ban unscrupulous landlords who offer sub-standard properties, and a further consultation on banning many of the fees that are charged by letting agents.
The Tory manifesto for the 2015 general election spelt out plans for 200,000 new “starter homes” that could be bought by first-time buyers at 20% discounts, but said little about promoting the interests and improving the lot of so-called “generation rent”. Cameron also pushed the idea of getting people on the housing ladder through shared ownership schemes, an idea that is no longer such a priority. The white paper will be seen as part of May’s deliberate break with Cameron, and her drive to create a country “that works for everyone, not just the privileged few”.
Councils will be told to put more emphasis on rental schemes , particularly in towns and cities, while making it easier for “build to rent” developers to offer affordable rented properties.
The proportion of people living in private rented accommodation has doubled since 2000 and ministers will accept that housing costs “are hurting ordinary, working people the most”. The average couple in the private rented sector now hands over roughly half their salary to their landlord each month and 2.2 million working households with below-average incomes spend more than a third of their incomes on housing.
Ministers insist that they will not allow more building on the green belt but will stick to existing rules that this should only happen in exceptional circumstances. They will, however, say that developers must build on land for which they have obtained planning permission, to help reach their target of building one million new homes by 2020.

It'll be interesting to see what they mean by "incentives" for landlords to offer longer tenancies, since it suggests that such tenancies won't be mandatory. It'd have to be a pretty powerful incentive for landlords to choose them over the current six month secure tenancy followed by a rolling monthly contract.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I want a Labour government.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I want a Labour government.

Who would you like to lead that government?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

That's true. Wouldn't change the comments though (I think).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Those new rules will utterly screw people on DSS. Side note, it is literally impossible to find a non-council rented house if you are in a wheelchair. Private landlords won't let you modify the bathroom.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The "Revoke the BBC's charter" petition got a response, which reads like a copy-pasted press release, but it's there for anyone to read if they wish.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mehall posted:

i wish ed milliband had been PM the last 2 years

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

Any labour mp would do

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mehall posted:

The Rock.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mehall posted:

The civil service.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Just put Merkel in charge, the British are clearly incapable of governing themselves

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

What's with the @s?
Is it just that they can't bring themselves to spell those terrible terrible words or is it some alt-right poo poo like the (((echoes)))?

People are convinced that the daily mail arbitrarily deletes comments based on a "word filter" (usually the comment either got reported or it got moved to best worst comments).

You'll see it mostly for things like the words Muslim, Islam, or immigrant where people write it in all sorts of ways to beat the "word filter"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So BBC news is taking about how awesome it is that we're moving away from the idea that everyone has to own their own house and how great renting is.

Absolutely no mention of the fact that a) the idea everyone has to own their own home came from the Tories and they've been pushing it for years, b) it's their fault homes are now unaffordable for most people and c) they are basically admitting their policy has failed massively and home ownership will now be reserved for the rich.

Incisive and hard-hitting journalism guys.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Namtab posted:

People are convinced that the daily mail arbitrarily deletes comments based on a "word filter" (usually the comment either got reported or it got moved to best worst comments).

You'll see it mostly for things like the words Muslim, Islam, or immigrant where people write it in all sorts of ways to beat the "word filter"
I'm going to choose to read them in the same way as that movement for gender inclusive Spanish, mi amig@s.

Keith Voz and his deproved lifestyles.

(Have they considered that maybe their comments including the words Muslim, Islam, or immigrant are being moved to the worst comments because they are the worst comments?)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just bought my own place I recommend it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I'm going to choose to read them in the same way as that movement for gender inclusive Spanish, mi amig@s.

Keith Voz and his deproved lifestyles.

(Have they considered that maybe their comments including the words Muslim, Islam, or immigrant are being moved to the worst comments because they are the worst comments?)

It's the Daily Mail website. Why would they believe that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everyone take out your copybooks, today's lesson is Liberals will always defend right wing populism over any kind of leftism. Write it 100 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone take out your copybooks, today's lesson is Liberals will always defend right wing populism over any kind of leftism. Write it 100 times.

Trump campaigned about Clinton being bought by wall Street and then had a former goldman Sachs coo be next to him when he struck down the regulation that went in place after 2008 lol

• Locked thread