Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Darth Walrus posted:

We've got at least two important flashbacks to get through - what exactly McGillis's deal is, and what happened to Gaelio (which should hopefully fill in what exactly Rustal's deal is - for such a major player, we know very little about him and his exact reasons for opposing McGillis).

The Vidar kit is getting released in a little over a week, so we'll probably get that soon depending on what spoilery info is in the instruction manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dessel posted:

Also, how the hell is Iok supposed to be charismatic to his people?

He's still banging on about random soldiers under his command that died weeks ago and how he'll do right by them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

The Vidar kit is getting released in a little over a week, so we'll probably get that soon depending on what spoilery info is in the instruction manual.

It's already out.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Midjack posted:

It's already out.

Well then gently caress Amazon for waiting until now to start selling it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Iok's final moments have been leaked:

From here.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That picture does raise a good point. I would love to see what would happen to a person without a mech to get hit by Mika's giant club or whatever it is called.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

That picture does raise a good point. I would love to see what would happen to a person without a mech to get hit by Mika's giant club or whatever it is called.

I assume, to quote the X-Men movie, the same thing that happens to anything else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Chunky salsa is what happens.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Don't we have a gif of that from last season? :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dulkor posted:

Yup, the fight against Carta when she intercepts the train. One of her pretty blonde boys cops the club in the face while they're all standing astride their cockpits to look noble and majestic, and you see him turn into a red splat when he hits the snow.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dulkor posted:

I had forgotten about that glorious moment.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 5, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im glad Jasley died like a total bitch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like that McGillis flashback is indeed coming right up. Plus Mika vs. Gaelio Round 5.

On a vaguely-related note, I just noticed something. We all know how the show's colour-coding works, right? Red for Tekkadan, blue for Gjallarhorn, yellow for neutral parties. This applies to everything from clothing to environment - observe how Tekkadan has its home base in the red, dusty plains of Mars, while Gjallarhorn's headquarters is a ship sailing beneath a permanently clear, blue sky. Notice also how Kudelia, who is becoming increasingly distant from Tekkadan, now wears dark clothing without a hint of red that emphasises her blonde hair, and works in an office saturated in warm earth tones.

What I didn't consider until now was the significance of secondary colours. So the Brewers, a mercenary unit hired by Gjallarhorn, and the Arianrhod faction, a rogue element working against the most powerful man in Gjallarhorn with connections to a variety of other organisations, get green (yellow/blue), while Gaelio, the conflicted nobleman who's a little too nice for any of the roles he tries to push himself into (either loyal Gjallarhorn attack dog or masked avenger), gets purple. Look at the scene he gets in this episode, for instance - he's absolutely steeped in it. I think that last one is the most interesting here - either he and Tekkadan are finally going to team up and take down McGillis, or he's going to assume the moral authority they've willingly abandoned. Speaking of, it's interesting how much blue Mikazuki, Tekkadan's most ethically-questionable member, tends to get - his eyes, the detailing of the Barbatos, and big hangar and window shots like the one near the end of this episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was a little disappointed by the end of the fight. I know they wanted to show off Mikazuki's bigass new warclub, and he's the defacto executioner for Orga, but really they should've let Akihiro do the job with the Big Scissors.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 5, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ImpAtom posted:

I assume, to quote the X-Men movie, the same thing that happens to anything else.

You think you're angry now? Remember she won an Oscar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was a little disappointed by the end of the fight. I know they wanted to show off Mikazuki's bigass new warclub, and he's the defacto executioner for Orga, but really they should've let Akihiro do the job with the Big Scissors.

I'm pretty sure that was the point. His grand revenge involved slaughtering a bunch of child slaves just like him while someone else secured the kill.

Tekkadan is going down a dark, dark path.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tekkadan isn't wrong with their views in combat. Yeah its regrettable, but ever since S1 we've been shown that if you let up a single moment it can lead to your allies getting killed, like when they tried to let the group of human debris in that room alone and got several of their members killed when one of them pulled a machine gun. The flashback with Galan and Akihiro drills this point. This setting just doesn't have a gundam jesus that can easily disable dozens of enemies without having to kill them without putting itself and its allies in risk.

Anyways, with the preview we can see the fighting within Vingolfs secured treasury area it seems, so I'm assuming tekkadan is moving in to take Bael. I'm also guessing this is where the other gundam seen in the intro pops into play. Also Vidar is narrating the preview, so lets see if the preview curse sticks, even if its just "Vidar" that dies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Tekkadan isn't wrong with their views in combat. Yeah its regrettable, but ever since S1 we've been shown that if you let up a single moment it can lead to your allies getting killed, like when they tried to let the group of human debris in that room alone and got several of their members killed when one of them pulled a machine gun. The flashback with Galan and Akihiro drills this point. This setting just doesn't have a gundam jesus that can easily disable dozens of enemies without having to kill them without putting itself and its allies in risk.

Anyways, with the preview we can see the fighting within Vingolfs secured treasury area it seems, so I'm assuming tekkadan is moving in to take Bael. I'm also guessing this is where the other gundam seen in the intro pops into play. Also Vidar is narrating the preview, so lets see if the preview curse sticks, even if its just "Vidar" that dies.

We have seen one legit option - make like Takaki and quit while you're ahead, because this business takes you nowhere good. That wasn't an option in Season One, but most of Tekkadan's woes in Season Two seem to have come from taking greater risks and making more dubious alliances to acquire more and more power when they've already made a pretty nice living for themselves.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love how they have figured out how to make the Barbatos even more of a monster by adding in the tail from an angel.

Edit: Even though Jasley deserved to die, the way the show did it quite effectively shows just how cruel Tekkaden can be.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 5, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol that teiwaz's promise to not bring up the illegal railguns was completely worthless

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

lol that teiwaz's promise to not bring up the illegal railguns was completely worthless

I loved McMurdo's response to Jasley boiled down to "did you really think this would work, you little poo poo? Say hi to Tekkadan for me"

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I didn't think Hush would be using the new style Turbines suit, I assumed Azee would be in it. Also McMurdo telling Jasley he isn't as smart as he thinks he is was so good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apprentice Dick posted:

I didn't think Hush would be using the new style Turbines suit, I assumed Azee would be in it. Also McMurdo telling Jasley he isn't as smart as he thinks he is was so good.

Nobody from the Turbines can fight, unless they wanna give up the game about them being a supposedly legit transport company.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I like to think that Orga told Mikazuki to position himself to take out Jasley if they received a call from him. Everything before that was just thinning the ranks in preparation to forcing him to make the call and beg for his life.

Argas fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 5, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nobody from the Turbines can fight, unless they wanna give up the game about them being a supposedly legit transport company.

I think it's more that Azee's had a breakdown, and after Lafter's death, they had a spare Hekija they weren't using. As we saw last episode, quitting and joining Tekkadan is a totally legit option for anyone willing and able to fight.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 5, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Now give me Iok. I WANT HIS BLOOD!:peanut:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I forgot how ruthless Tekkadan is. This was an amazing episode and the debut of the new Barbatos was amazing. The tail and mace really bring Mika to another level.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
And now the Barbatos feels more natural to Mika than his human body

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well, now we know what the sub-arms are for. :stare:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
You too Jasley.

You hosed up

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Well, now we know what the sub-arms are for. :stare:

We now know what they specifically do, but the moment they got put onto Barbatos it is always clear that it is to help Mika butcher more soldiers too stupid to run away from him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

We're all focusing on how Tekkadan's doing, but I figure the Julieta subplot is worth a mention.

She's pretty much getting offered the Graze Ein package, and there's no way that's going to go well for anyone. It ties into the themes of the rest of the episode, with the mention that to be the best means no longer being human, but geeze.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's a nice touch that the suit Mika fucks up with the sub-arms is a Hyakuri. It's a good callback to when Lafter fought him to a standstill in one, and shows just how much of a combat monster he's become.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

We're all focusing on how Tekkadan's doing, but I figure the Julieta subplot is worth a mention.

She's pretty much getting offered the Graze Ein package, and there's no way that's going to go well for anyone. It ties into the themes of the rest of the episode, with the mention that to be the best means no longer being human, but geeze.

It's worth noting that the Lupus Rex is basically the Gundam version of the Graze Ein. It's a monstrous, distorted version of the standard model with grotesquely oversized limbs and an extra-large version of its standard melee weapon that's loaded down with hidden wargear, including machine-guns, piledrivers, and folding sub-arms, and serves as a surrogate body for its crippled pilot. The thing about Julietta is that she's currently on the threshold - she could follow Mikazuki and Ein and become a monster, or she could pull back and live as something more than a killing machine. It's reflected with her Julia, which seems just as warped as the Rex and Ein, but is actually a standard, stripped-down Reginlaze wearing its non-standard parts. She's costumed as a monster, but she isn't one yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Not quite. She's young enough for A-V surgery...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite. She's young enough for A-V surgery...

That can not end well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, she's younger than hush?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Wait, she's younger than hush?

She's pretty much Rustal going "well if a lovely little company can use child soldiers to great effect, CLEARLY I can make a superior one by training them properly :pseudo:.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's pretty much Rustal going "well if a lovely little company can use child soldiers to great effect, CLEARLY I can make a superior one by training them properly :pseudo:.

He said that what he wanted from her wasn't strength though, several episodes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm not sure about that. She seems much more like a regular fresh recruit like Ein who caught her boss's eye through her genius, rather than someone who was groomed from day one by Rustal Quess-style. You know, a sort of 'oh, huh, one of the new kids is a godly pilot, best make use of her' thing. Her youth is just like her low birth, a way to demonstrate just how much of a meritocrat Lord Elion is.

• Locked thread