Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Technowolf posted:

The Eldar finally managed to get Ynnead, God of the Dead, partially summoned (because Eldar making gods worked out so well the last time), but manage to destroy one of their biggest craftworlds, Biel-tan. The survivors from this - known as the Ynnari because they follow Ynnead, his herald Yvaine, and his avatar the Yncarne - retreat through the webway and meet up with the Imperial forces that fell back after Fall of Cadia. They both then go to Macragge where Yvraine uses her Aeldari magick to heal Big Bobby G.

Wait what? I haven't kept up with 40k for the past few years, Cadia fell? The Eldar actually did something? Has hell finally frozen over and GW started moving the plot along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Technowolf posted:

The Eldar finally managed to get Ynnead, God of the Dead, partially summoned (because Eldar making gods worked out so well the last time), but manage to destroy one of their biggest craftworlds, Biel-tan. The survivors from this - known as the Ynnari because they follow Ynnead, his herald Yvaine, and his avatar the Yncarne - retreat through the webway and meet up with the Imperial forces that fell back after Fall of Cadia. They both then go to Macragge where Yvraine uses her Aeldari magick to heal Big Bobby G.

Biel-Tan.
The XENOPHOBES. The ones hwo aggressively protect Maiden Worlds because they're Eldar property/creations even though the Eldar haven't colonised normal planets in literally forever.
:psyduck:

Shoeless posted:

Wait what? I haven't kept up with 40k for the past few years, Cadia fell? The Eldar actually did something? Has hell finally frozen over and GW started moving the plot along?

Yeah. It's finally happened.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aumanor posted:

Ferrus Manus?

Ol' Iron Hands of the Iron Hands who has Iron Hands is actually one of Primarchs whom I'd like to see come back (the other being Leman Russ), if only to see him slap the unhappy poo poo out of the brooding, tech-fetishistic robot emo kids his Chapter's become.

koolkevz666 posted:

That explanation about the Eldar is lacking a lot of information. The Ynnari go to Biel-Tan first and the craftworld is destroyed but not all the Biel-tan die and the death of the craft world helps to bring about the birth of the avatar of Ynnead. Then the herald, Yvaine and her followers go to Ulthwe to deal with the trial of Ulthred. Then they go to Iyandan or whatever it is called to help them and spread the word and recruit new followers and then they go help the Imperials. The reason they help the Imperials is because about the only race that could possibly stand up to the forces of Chaos is them, the other races have reasons for being no good.

I wonder how this is going to play into the DoW franchise, especially since Macha's a key player in it.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd love to see the Inquisition just try to accuse the Ultra Dorks of heresy, I don't like the Ultras but they would totally curb stomp the Inquisition.
The Inperial Fists and Crimson Fists would probably join in for shits and giggles.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dreadwroth posted:

I'd love to see the Inquisition just try to accuse the Ultra Dorks of heresy, I don't like the Ultras but they would totally curb stomp the Inquisition.
The Inperial Fists and Crimson Fists would probably join in for shits and giggles.

Not to mention the Black Templars, and some Celestial Lions stragglers to kick the Inquisition when they're down.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Did somebody say Eldar Sorcery and Necromancy? Uh oh-SMASH IT

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Yeah. It's finally happened.

May god have mercy on us all as the end times approach.

Also this game looks really cool so far. I'm really disappointed that the focus seems to be multiplayer, with only the imperial fleet getting a singleplayer campaign. When I first heard about BFG:A, I was super excited but I really don't like multiplayer, so that's a real letdown. Still, thanks a lot for showing this off so far, Herpicle!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RickVoid posted:

I unironically hate everything about this.

Yeah it's like they don't get that the point of a game setting is having a bunch of things that are perpetually about to happen, because the players are supposed to have story hooks. Not to have K.J. Anderson level plot twists that leave dangling plot threads with no obvious hook.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's like they don't get that the point of a game setting is having a bunch of things that are perpetually about to happen, because the players are supposed to have story hooks. Not to have K.J. Anderson level plot twists that leave dangling plot threads with no obvious hook.

I disagree. One of the things that frustrated me about Warhammer40k and actually led to me stopping paying attention to it was the fact that nothing ever changed. That every new unit and codex wasn't because of invention or innovation, but effectively just a retcon, that these units had totally been in use all along. I am glad they're moving the plot forwards. In an RPG I would agree, the story should be what the GM and players build together. But for a tabletop wargame, I am 100% fine with the plot being a thing that moves along and has things change. Even if overall the status quo remains the same.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Glad that things about th esetting and the meta-game are shifting. I can understand the issues with scale in-universe (warfare amongst millions of planets and dozens of different species with quadrillions of beings), but you could go from the start of the fourtieth millenium to the dawn of the fourty-first with no real great changes in the strategic picture. In stasis only goes so far. Something eventually has to give or break or change. So glad to hear that the fiction is finally shifting and there wil lbe something distinct happening that changes things (or at least the appearance of).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have no problems with GeeDubs moving the plot forward, it's just that after the burning outhouse that was Age of Sigmar I have concerns about how they're going to do it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Why'd it have to be Rowboat Gorillaman though :c

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Because GW loves Space Marines, the Ultramarines are the Best Marines™, and Robot Girlyman is the most Ultra of the Ultramarines, and the Primarch every other Marine wished their Primarch was like.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Years later and Ward's scars still leave their mark on the 40k fandom.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Should have been Jaghati.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samovar posted:

Should have been Jaghati.

Or Corax. Papa Smurf, in the Heresy novels and tabletop books, is established to be a man with one weakness but it's a significant one: he has no creativity, at all. Every unique unit and special trait and ability the Ultramarines have in the 30k era isn't something Papa Smurf or his followers came up with themselves, but something another Legion or other force did first, then Papa Smurf studied and refined (he would say perfected). Corax has no such restriction and always believed that the Astartes were meant to liberate mankind, not conquer it.

Or get Dorn back, his death is still ambiguous depending on which sources you look at. He's the one loyalist primarch who actually straight-up killed a traitor primarch.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Because GW loves Space Marines, the Ultramarines are the Best Marines™, and Robot Girlyman is the most Ultra of the Ultramarines, and the Primarch every other Marine wished their Primarch was like.

Yeah, that's what makes the whole thing a tad grating. For years, the whole Ynnead thing has been teased as basically the one possible thing that might allow the Eldar to have an actual victory. Their one chance at redemption, at saving the remnants of their doomed race and all that. Often it has been talked about as the final endgame of their faction, on a similar scale as the Emperor somehow being resurrected, or Chaos actually capturing Terra, or the Orks actually getting all their poo poo together in an unified waaagh.

Then it actually happens, and seemingly all it achieves is that they resurrect the most boring primarch of the most boring chapter of the most boring faction, so that he can go ahead and actually do something with it. "Here's you final moment of glory, and all it does is give the space marines a small bump so that they maybe do something."

Yes, it's me. I'm the guy annoyed about space elves. :goonsay:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that's what makes the whole thing a tad grating. For years, the whole Ynnead thing has been teased as basically the one possible thing that might allow the Eldar to have an actual victory. Their one chance at redemption, at saving the remnants of their doomed race and all that. Often it has been talked about as the final endgame of their faction, on a similar scale as the Emperor somehow being resurrected, or Chaos actually capturing Terra, or the Orks actually getting all their poo poo together in an unified waaagh.

Then it actually happens, and seemingly all it achieves is that they resurrect the most boring primarch of the most boring chapter of the most boring faction, so that he can go ahead and actually do something with it. "Here's you final moment of glory, and all it does is give the space marines a small bump so that they maybe do something."

What were you expecting, one of the lower-selling armies to save the day? GW's always been very up front about how all the fluff, all the games and books and everything, exist for the sole purpose of making the tabletop figurines sell better, and Marines are far and away the best-selling army.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Perestroika posted:

To be fair, they kinda hosed it up.
Well, Eldrad kinda hosed it up.

Though still, resurrecting a Primarch of the most boring chapter is ugh.
or is the terrible secret of GW that Ultramarines are the most popular Spees marines.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cythereal posted:

What were you expecting, one of the lower-selling armies to save the day? GW's always been very up front about how all the fluff, all the games and books and everything, exist for the sole purpose of making the tabletop figurines sell better, and Marines are far and away the best-selling army.

I maintain that this is only the case because of how drat easy to paint Marines are compared to a Guardsman or an Eldar Guardian. When I was really into the 'Hams, I loved the IG but bought more Orks and Marines just because the former don't need to be well painted and the latter's troops were big and well defined, therefore easier to paint. Never got the chance to use any of my figures in a game though. :smith:

Also my theory is that this is all a ploy for a good writer to just kill off Rowboat and hopefully the rest of the damned smurfs.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I maintain that this is only the case because of how drat easy to paint Marines are compared to a Guardsman or an Eldar Guardian. When I was really into the 'Hams, I loved the IG but bought more Orks and Marines just because the former don't need to be well painted and the latter's troops were big and well defined, therefore easier to paint. Never got the chance to use any of my figures in a game though. :smith:

Also my theory is that this is all a ploy for a good writer to just kill off Rowboat and hopefully the rest of the damned smurfs.

I hope so. It would be so satisfying for them to bring back Gullman, and then get him murdered by something. Like the Necrons, or Tau. Or the Adeptus Mechanicus being led by the awoken Void Dragon. Because that would be far too funny.

Or hell, turn him into a geanstealer hive. Wasn't the first company wiped out defending his stasis locked rear end from a hive fleet?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Horus Heresy series has rescued Guilliman and the Ultramarines. They're fun. And funny. And far from invincible. Roboute is one of the most mortal Primarchs - he almost gets killed by half a squad of marines because he's out of armor. He's not a combat god with superpowers like Batman or Corax.

If any Primarch isn't coming back it's Ferrus Manus - his skull is a prop for Horus' monologues (and he doesn't get Perpetual bullshit to save him anyway).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 5, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Well, what news I've seen bout Rise of the Primarch suggests that Cypher will play a prominent role in it. Lion El'Jonson the next Primarch to return?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
At this point I wouldn't put it past GW to have one of the two unknown primarchs return, reveal he's an Ork, stop selling every current Ork model and announce the release of a new Adeptus Orks range.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Primorks are already a thing, so probably not. :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If anything, they'd come back out of the shadows with their legion and reveal that they've been working on the final solution to the orkish problem, flip a switch, and instantly squat every ork in the galaxy by, uh, something something genetic memories spores.

Maybe have them all eaten by the tyranids to combine the two factions into one, so they don't have to work as hard at putting out a new codex for both. Just one, double the nerfs.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
For those worried about this being the end times of 40k GW has said it isn't they are just moving the plot along. Also even though xeno sorcery was used no one actually knows any details yet as that is in the March book, this one about the Eldar is all about the Eldar finding a way to avoid being eaten by Slannesh as well as powering their new god to destroy Slannesh. So far I quite like how the story sounds, it is at least proving interesting.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I just want Rogal Dorn to return for a refreshing bout of painglove and flatulence.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

King Doom posted:

At this point I wouldn't put it past GW to have one of the two unknown primarchs return, reveal he's an Ork, stop selling every current Ork model and announce the release of a new Adeptus Orks range.

Adeptus Orkanicus, 'ere to Krump Gitz!
Or should that be Adeptus Orktartes

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Adeptus Orkanicus, 'ere to Krump Gitz!
Or should that be Adeptus Orktartes

Adeptork Krumpstartes

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean it might be interesting if the space elfs could actually not gently caress up something but that's me

building them up to be hyper-sophisticated seers of the future does seem to be undermined by having their most predicty chap fail to predict that he couldn't sway a fanatic from the object of their fanaticism

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean it might be interesting if the space elfs could actually not gently caress up something but that's me

building them up to be hyper-sophisticated seers of the future does seem to be undermined by having their most predicty chap fail to predict that he couldn't sway a fanatic from the object of their fanaticism

The farseer thing is really just Ulthwe's hat - the craftworld Eldrad is from and that featured in Dawn of War 1 and all its expansions. There are a number of other craftworlds, many of which play to different takes on the Eldar - Alaitoc is the most conservative and regimented, Iyanden is mostly dead (read: wraith constructs), Biel-Tan is extraordinarily aggressive and ruled by Aspect Warriors, and Saim-Hann is the Wild Hunt with jetbikes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cythereal posted:

The farseer thing is really just Ulthwe's hat - the craftworld Eldrad is from and that featured in Dawn of War 1 and all its expansions. There are a number of other craftworlds, many of which play to different takes on the Eldar - Alaitoc is the most conservative and regimented, Iyanden is mostly dead (read: wraith constructs), Biel-Tan is extraordinarily aggressive and ruled by Aspect Warriors, and Saim-Hann is the Wild Hunt with jetbikes.

ok, but the point does seem to stand - you'd think the ancient, precognitive magical politican would think his plans through to the point where "no this crazy person is not going to listen to reason" becomes natural, at least

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the tau, masters of shooting things from very far away indeed, met thei untimely demise when their greatest generals decided it was time for a bayonet charge

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

aphid_licker posted:

I just want Rogal Dorn to return for a refreshing bout of painglove and flatulence.

ROGAL DORN YOU SAY?
https://youtu.be/eG82ruvH0jc?t=516
:D
(I love how this is also now the thread to post TTS episodes.)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

V. Illych L. posted:

the tau, masters of shooting things from very far away indeed, met thei untimely demise when their greatest generals decided it was time for a bayonet charge

But enough about Turkish army's involvement in Syria.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

V. Illych L. posted:

ok, but the point does seem to stand - you'd think the ancient, precognitive magical politican would think his plans through to the point where "no this crazy person is not going to listen to reason" becomes natural, at least

The consistent problem the Eldar have with this is that they don't seem to get that everyone isn't Eldar and therefor does not behave like them, nor do they have the same set of bias's and assumptions. Also they keep underestimating them.

When the entities you use a figurative stepping stones in your plans have the power to break your ankle and there are also many many more of them than you, that ends up to a lot of chances for a broken ankle and one of them is going to stick and there goes your 'walk that way' plan!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

No, the consistent problem is that the Eldar have been the Worfs for GW for years now, losing to any-and-everyone to show off the "power" or whatever of someone or another. Or do people not remember the train of Avatars dying in Codex fluff all over the place? Including the Eldar's own? People just pretend to overlook this because they prefer to hate them from the fluff prior to that when they were the writer's tool used to keep the setting in stasis. Especially jarring in comparison to the writer's pets that are the loving Tau, who manage poo poo like wiping out an entire Tyranid Splinter Fleet with no losses. Because they were sleepy or something. Or have now avoided being wiped out by not one, but two Crusades aimed at them due to writer fiat of, "and suddenly they're needed elsewhere."

Even in the actual books "starring" them we've gotten it's normally them failing in one insane, nonsensical way or another. Like that one book (drawing a blank on title) that starts in Ulthwe and it turns out a single Farseer held a grudge against the Shining Spears and had somehow managed to basically extirpate them from the craftworld over time, despite the, what? Hundreds? Thousands? of other Farseers on Ulthwe that at least a few probably should have noticed that poo poo and the danger it represented - hundreds of years prior.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I need to fire this game up again and remind myself how bad I was at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Lord Koth posted:

No, the consistent problem is that the Eldar have been the Worfs for GW for years now, losing to any-and-everyone to show off the "power" or whatever of someone or another. Or do people not remember the train of Avatars dying in Codex fluff all over the place? Including the Eldar's own? People just pretend to overlook this because they prefer to hate them from the fluff prior to that when they were the writer's tool used to keep the setting in stasis. Especially jarring in comparison to the writer's pets that are the loving Tau, who manage poo poo like wiping out an entire Tyranid Splinter Fleet with no losses. Because they were sleepy or something. Or have now avoided being wiped out by not one, but two Crusades aimed at them due to writer fiat of, "and suddenly they're needed elsewhere."

Even in the actual books "starring" them we've gotten it's normally them failing in one insane, nonsensical way or another. Like that one book (drawing a blank on title) that starts in Ulthwe and it turns out a single Farseer held a grudge against the Shining Spears and had somehow managed to basically extirpate them from the craftworld over time, despite the, what? Hundreds? Thousands? of other Farseers on Ulthwe that at least a few probably should have noticed that poo poo and the danger it represented - hundreds of years prior.

tbf that's because GW's writers got worried that people were seeing the (craftworld) Eldar as "the real good guys" and compensated far too much in the other direction by making them incompetent assholes who are constantly on the verge of destruction.

Early Tau had this problem also, but there wasn't as much of a knee-jerk reaction because they weren't nearly as popular.

• Locked thread