Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A thread dedicated to wars throughout history would be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wikkheiser posted:

I think Deng had different goals and intended it to be a very brief invasion.

It's easy to pull back when most of troops and tanks are dead.

They ripped up a lot of infrastructure though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah Ho definitely came to us post WW2 but we told him to get hosed so France could have her colonies back.

really when you consider just how many terrible choices we've made its kinda astounding that we're here at all

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yeah Ho definitely came to us post WW2 but we told him to get hosed so France could have her colonies back.

really when you consider just how many terrible choices we've made its kinda astounding that we're here at all

Wasn't this also the same time De Gaulle told NATO to gtfo from France?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

TBeats posted:

Military history thread in a/t

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

So many savage burns that could've been if only Dean Rusk had had twitter.

What was that conversation something like "All your american soldiers must leave French soil immediately" met with "We don't have enough shovels for that timeline"?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 5, 2017

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

That was during the Algerian war of independence. The US basically refused to support France during the war so De Gaulle got all angry and left NATO. There's several good books about how crazy that war was, A Savage War of Peace is the one I'd recommend if your interested.

timma85 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 5, 2017

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

timma85 posted:

That was during the Algerian war of independence. The US basically refused to support France during the war so De Gaulle got all angry and left NATO. There's several good books about how crazy that war was, A Savage War of Peace is the one I'd recommend if your interested.

gently caress books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEoPpPNHdWI

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ultimately de Gualle was right, NATO became hilariously reliant on the US

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Wikkheiser posted:

I think Deng had different goals and intended it to be a very brief invasion.

if xu ke was 40 years old in 2005, that meant he was 14 when he invaded vietnam

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

timma85 posted:

In the Ruins of Empire is a good one about the clusterfuck following the Japanese surrender, with multiple Japanese armies still occupying Asia, various American diplomats trying to rep for the local resistance groups they'd been working with through the war while France, UK and the Dutch roll back in like it's 1938 and the ROC generally failing at everything.

After reading Dreadnought and The Sleepwalkers recently I'm convinced that it's 1912 and Kaiser Trump is lighting the match, it's just a question of whether the fuse leads to Iran, Eastern Europe or the SCS.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Trump is going to change that because NATO can't depend on us right now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TBeats posted:

i'd be keen for one of these too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Holy gently caress SNL is actually funny again. Will post the political sketches when they're online because jesus gently caress.

https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/828101334775721986

https://twitter.com/ethanklapper/status/828106183710015488

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLI4B07QX1s

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
SNL Links:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/snl-mocks-the-phone-calls-from-trump-and-steve-bannon-australia-sucks-your-reef-is-failing/

http://www.mediaite.com/online/melissa-mccarthy-plays-sean-spicer-going-nuts-on-the-press-in-hilarious-snl-sketch-apologize-to-me/

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 5, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jfc she loving nailed that

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Casimir Radon posted:

We stopped fighting and the North swept in and defeated the weak South.

I had a really good talk several years ago with the dad of a friend of mine that was there as an idiot kid in the marines. Everything on the ground had basically gone to poo poo at the end, and shooting your CO and getting out seemed like a really good idea.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

I am never not amused by SNL's choice for Steve Bannon.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Hexyflexy posted:

I had a really good talk several years ago with the dad of a friend of mine that was there as an idiot kid in the marines. Everything on the ground had basically gone to poo poo at the end, and shooting your CO and getting out seemed like a really good idea.

I cant produce a source because it was some book I read in my HS library but I swore it said a HUGE percentage of jr officer deaths were from friendly fire

like 30% or something crazy. It's probably bullshit, but still just imagine how hosed anything is when it's even something to think or joke about

reading on wiki the deaths werent crazy but it says something like 1017 incidents of fragging, and they didn't even start keeping track until 69

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

And after WW1 where he was called the funny little man in glasses and told to leave, from the 14 Point Plan meetings.

The unedited VHS version of "Vietnam: A Television History" goes into a lot of the details like that, or the American intelligence worker that the British let get murdered because he dared to question their trying to run post WW2 Vietnam like a colony before the hand off back to France. A few things are missing or cropped out of the DVD releases.

Edit: cut and forgot to paste a thing.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 5, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I updated the SNL links earlier with links to mediaite with the full sketches, go watch them.

Back in our sad reality, Donnie filed an emergency motion to cancel the stay and appeal it.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/828116570232733696

I think it's a hefty amount of bullshit and parts might not even be written like a lawyer. That and I don't think "BECAUSE I'M THE PRESIDENT" works real well when you're being asked why you're denying entry to legal, permanent residents on green cards at a minimum.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

oh my god

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

facialimpediment posted:

I updated the SNL links earlier with links to mediaite with the full sketches, go watch them.

Back in our sad reality, Donnie filed an emergency motion to cancel the stay and appeal it.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/828116570232733696

I think it's a hefty amount of bullshit and parts might not even be written like a lawyer. That and I don't think "BECAUSE I'M THE PRESIDENT" works real well when you're being asked why you're denying entry to legal, permanent residents on green cards at a minimum.

ONCE AGAIN!! It's Chad's fault!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

NATO was an incredible way for Europe to rebuild for decades under the American shield without having to spend way too much on defense against the Soviets, who absolutely would otherwise have been an existential threat

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I cant produce a source because it was some book I read in my HS library but I swore it said a HUGE percentage of jr officer deaths were from friendly fire

like 30% or something crazy. It's probably bullshit, but still just imagine how hosed anything is when it's even something to think or joke about

reading on wiki the deaths werent crazy but it says something like 1017 incidents of fragging, and they didn't even start keeping track until 69

The number of US military deaths in the war was something on the order of 60k, that is one hell of a lot of friendly fire, just taking that as a ratio. I mean that's 60 soldiers killed in battle for every officer executed by friendly troops. loving hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SNL should have given Donnie a Playschool desk.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's how hosed up the world is now.

New Yorkers are turning nice

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/828098079719096320

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hah donnie's request for an immediate stay got rejected at the circuit court of appeals. So at a minimum, the stay lives for a few more days until the hearing and stuff.

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/828155615365173248

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The 9th circuit nonetheless, which the last time I checked had the reputation of being one of the most liberal courts out there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie had no idea what he was getting into. He's used to the unquestioning loyalty of all the sycophants in his organization, and checks on his power is a completely remote concept for him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

world where the japs and nazis are running america is better than the one where EBB and trump run it imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Donnie had no idea what he was getting into. He's used to the unquestioning loyalty of all the sycophants in his organization, and checks on his power is a completely remote concept for him.

I was reading somewhere yesterday that his Twitter posts could potentially be considered evidence in court that the ban was discriminatory in nature.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

I was reading somewhere yesterday that his Twitter posts could potentially be considered evidence in court that the ban was discriminatory in nature.

I'm still amazed that they let him keep his phone and Twitter account. The one thing he can do to incriminate himself and everyone at the WH is to keep talking, and he's never shut up, not even for a minute.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Looks like Cheeto Benito is learning a little lesson about checks and balances.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

You know Steve Bannon sees this and is like "Nice. I look good."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
cross posting something pointed out in cspam

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

holocaust bloopers posted:

You know Steve Bannon sees this and is like "Nice. I look good."

Dude looks like a cold flour tortilla.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Third World Reggin posted:

cross posting something pointed out in cspam

What's the catch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Milo is not a good person but there is the argument of do you protest milo and risk him getting more attention or do you ignore him.

The UW protest of Milo apparently has made him way more popular which means more people will be listening to his shtick.

• Locked thread