Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Could it just be too short of a primary? I stalked your post history itt and with my assumption of colorado temps right now sourdoughs are hard. I'm Ohio and the last pure sourdough I did with great oven spring required about a 6 hour primary with S&F every half for the first four hours and one at five and six. Using the extended autolyse in tartine 3 and an overnight secondary. I forget the hydration but I think it was north of 80.

I've yet to attempt sourdough bagels. I'm not sure how diatastic malt powder will behave with sourdough yeast.

The 8 months, at least according to Bread Science, is to fully remove the old culture. So if you ordered a San Francisco sourdough starter, it would become a "your house" sourdough starter in 8 months. Changing the 50-50 to 100% white should impart the 100% white flavor after a few weeks at most. IIRC pure white starters are more sour, but I've never made or used one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'm probably just stupid, but how does one make a sourdough starter? My mom loves sourdough and I'd like to make some for her, but I'm at a loss as to how to make a starter that won't go off. My google fu is weak. Please save me, bread goons.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sociopastry posted:

I'm probably just stupid, but how does one make a sourdough starter? My mom loves sourdough and I'd like to make some for her, but I'm at a loss as to how to make a starter that won't go off. My google fu is weak. Please save me, bread goons.

What worked for me was using pineapple juice for the first bit to keep the pH right.

http://breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10856/pineapple-juice-solution-part-1

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You can also get live sourdough starter for the cost of one SASE.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I made this bread: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe.html

I'm pretty OK with the results, but I burned the bottom a touch, didn't score it well, and maybe not enough steam. I didn't have a double boiler dutch oven so I just sprayed a bunch of water onto the bread and used a 12" cast iron skillet pre-heated in the oven.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 5, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This is the redux, 79% hydration, 60/40 white/wheat, 79% hydration, 12% cacao nibs and 30% cranberries

also this is what it looks like if you score the golden ratio into the tops of your boules

e: sliced

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 5, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Has anyone used chakki atta?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Has anyone used chakki atta?

Not for bread, but we use it all the time to make roti!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm thinking about switching from LA ww to it but don't know what it might do to the starter

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Of course SA has a bread thread. I have been playing with Sourdough lately and I have a few questions.

This is the last loaf I made:

The interior seems too moist and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I tried reducting the water from 100% to about 75% and it didn't seem to change anything. I almost looks grey. Still working on the crust color too... I am only using white flour at the moment. But I am not getting that beautiful crust that I see in this thread, it goes from white to burnt. I have been baking it in a cast iron skillet at 500 for 20 min and then reducing it to 450 for the next 10.

I have been using a "mother" that I created almost a month ago. The first loaf was wonderfully sour but not so much with subsequent loafs. I assume it is because I have refrigerated it. How soon should I take it out to let the yeast start to grow again before making a new loaf?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been learning off the Tartine basic country loaf: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

It calls for 10% whole wheat but you can do 100% white and it'll come out fine. You can also halve all the weights if you just want to make one loaf not two.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If it's an uncovered skillet you need steam to prevent crust formation and browing too quickly. A popular method is a sheet pan with towels soaked.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Stringent posted:

I've been learning off the Tartine basic country loaf: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

It calls for 10% whole wheat but you can do 100% white and it'll come out fine. You can also halve all the weights if you just want to make one loaf not two.

For anyone getting started I recommend always making 2 boules! It's harder to shape a ball of dough that's been cut in half back into a nice round boule, and likewise if you're starting with a nice round ball of dough out of the bowl and not dividing it much of the work of shaping is already done for you. This might sound like a good reason to only ever make one, but if you're ever gonna make two for thanksgiving or somthing you might want to practice. Making too much bread is fine and good, the world is full of people who eat lovely bread all the time and if you find them and give them some surplus bread and they'll think you're some kind of wizard

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Made these for the superbowl

900g KAF Galahad
100g KAF whole wheat
220g starter (~100% hydration)
750g water
3tsp salt

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mmartinx posted:

Made these for the superbowl

900g KAF Galahad
100g KAF whole wheat
220g starter (~100% hydration)
750g water
3tsp salt

Looks great, but why the cut on salt?

*edit tsp not grams :3:*

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 8, 2017

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah for my tastes I really like 1.5-2tsp kosher salt/500g flour and my scale is a little imprecise sometimes on really small amounts so for things like yeast/salt/etc. I just use measuring spoons.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

mmartinx posted:

Yeah for my tastes I really like 1.5-2tsp kosher salt/500g flour and my scale is a little imprecise sometimes on really small amounts so for things like yeast/salt/etc. I just use measuring spoons.

I have a cheapy little scale that reads to .01g for fine measurements of stuff under 100g, since combining mass and volume measures is not usually a fantastic idea for anything but water. I used to use it for slinging weed, but now use it exclusively for cooking.

You can find these things at head shops for very low prices pretty much anywhere.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Totally Reasonable posted:

I have a cheapy little scale that reads to .01g for fine measurements of stuff under 100g, since combining mass and volume measures is not usually a fantastic idea for anything but water. I used to use it for slinging weed, but now use it exclusively for cooking.

You can find these things at head shops for very low prices pretty much anywhere.

I'll stick with the teaspoons for salt and yeast etc. I don't even use the scale for flour for precision it's just easier to dump out 1000g of flour rather than having to scoop 6 or whatever cups of flour one at a time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When you bake with a starter, how do you figure it's hydration?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

MrYenko posted:

When you bake with a starter, how do you figure it's hydration?

presumably you know the hydration level of the starter itself from how you feed it? then you just have to do a little bit of math to get the correct overall hydration for the dough.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
I don't bother measuring it during re-feeds just keep it the same consistency when you're feeding/mixing and call it 100%

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you go that route flour has approximately .5 the gravity of water.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Gonna come out and say, Weigh Everything

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Stringent posted:

:agreed:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Stringent posted:

It's what really made my bread way better!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

I made this bread: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe.html

I'm pretty OK with the results, but I burned the bottom a touch, didn't score it well, and maybe not enough steam. I didn't have a double boiler dutch oven so I just sprayed a bunch of water onto the bread and used a 12" cast iron skillet pre-heated in the oven.

Same bread, one week later. I keep having problems with uneven oven spring, is that controlled by how deep my scoring marks are? I moved the cast iron up one rack, which seems to have prevented most of the burning, but I'm tempted to either lower oven temp or move the rack up again due to slight burning on the edges of one side, despite using an oven thermometer. This burning is preventing me from cooking the bread more, even though it could probably go a bit longer.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i had a weird thing happen with my latest batch... the dough developed a dry skin both in the bulk ferment and the final proof. the finished loaves were among the best i've ever made, so i have a hard time complaining, but wtf happened? it's a super basic white sourdough, and i didn't do anything substantially different. is it just a matter of ambient humidity?

obligatory breadpic

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I am not very experienced in breadmaking but all of my loaves seem to develop a dryish skin while proofing? Between the finger-dent test and the loaf skin no longer being moist seems to be how I know it is done proofing.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 13, 2017

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i usually get a dry-ish exterior, but this was to the point that when i did the finger dent test on the proofed loaf the surface cracked around my finger.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

i usually get a dry-ish exterior, but this was to the point that when i did the finger dent test on the proofed loaf the surface cracked around my finger.

:stare: ok yeah mine don't get that dry

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Proof the dough in a bowl covered w plastic wrap

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

mmartinx posted:

Proof the dough in a bowl covered w plastic wrap

hmm, maybe that was the problem. i use a cambro tub for the bulk proof, and for this batch i couldn't find the lid so i used a towel. next time i'll use plastic wrap if it stays lost :v:

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah towel is fine for bench rise but not much longer than that

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Had a productive day today :toot:

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

baquerd posted:

Same bread, one week later. I keep having problems with uneven oven spring, is that controlled by how deep my scoring marks are? I moved the cast iron up one rack, which seems to have prevented most of the burning, but I'm tempted to either lower oven temp or move the rack up again due to slight burning on the edges of one side, despite using an oven thermometer. This burning is preventing me from cooking the bread more, even though it could probably go a bit longer.

This looks really great but I wonder if the scoring should be deeper? The right hand cut looks like it tore after the crust started to set, probably with the force of the oven spring, and that's why the loaf grew more off that direction. Scoring (along with overall humidity to delay the crust setting to some extent) lets the loaf expand through oven spring. You may also try proofing a little longer.

dedian fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 17, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If I'm taking a normal boule straight in the oven recipe for bread and putting it in a loaf pan instead, what adjustments if any do I need to make to the time and temp?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blueberries and cacao nibs

My grocery store stopped selling the overpriced 2lb bags of arrowhead farms spelt flour so I bought an overpriced 25lb bag of slpelt from amazon prime. I like it even better than the other stuff at least. Gonna cut it into my starter food for a while and see how it goes.

Stefan Prodan posted:

If I'm taking a normal boule straight in the oven recipe for bread and putting it in a loaf pan instead, what adjustments if any do I need to make to the time and temp?

Well if you've got an instant read thermometer you can just poke it, you're looking for 200, or just shy of 210 if it has eggs in it

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dedian posted:

This looks really great but I wonder if the scoring should be deeper? The right hand cut looks like it tore after the crust started to set, probably with the force of the oven spring, and that's why the loaf grew more off that direction. Scoring (along with overall humidity to delay the crust setting to some extent) lets the loaf expand through oven spring. You may also try proofing a little longer.

Should I be spraying before scoring or after (or both I guess)? I've seen it both ways around the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

You might want to pop it out of the pan once it's nearly done to get a browner crust all around.
If you bake it in just the pan the top will be browner and harder than the sides/ bottom.
If you do just leave it in the pan pop it out after it's baked and cooled about 5 mins the pan will hold in steam and make the bottom soggy.