Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Use colors to highlight your black (and shade your whites). It looks more natural and gives a better sense of place. Brown if it's supposed to be indoors or facing the ground, or blues if it's under the open sky. Green can make it look more foresty, while reds and oranges suggest fire. If you look at white or black objects in the real world, you'll see that they tend to pick up some of the color of objects around them.

The other thing that helps is to have the black act as your mid-tone as well as your shadow (and with whites, midtone as well as highlight). Like, if you were going to go 20% of the model highlight, 60% midtone, and 20% shadow, you'd paint about 80% of the surface area black and then put your highlights in the remaining 20%.

I like to do very light glazes to build up the highlight, and then go with the edge highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any pointers on getting this result?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Zenithal painting with an airbrush would probably work pretty well.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Electric Hobo posted:

Zenithal painting with an airbrush would probably work pretty well.

This. Green all over, white with a bit of green at 45 degrees, white at almost vertical. Follow up with a quick wash to get the recesses

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any pointers on getting this result?

Grey+white zenethal and green ghost tint.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YYFTgeNhCg

My biggest reservation is that it is only for a single small model and this looks like a load of effort for a single model.

E: I wouln't do as many layers as Les does, but even three seems like alot.

Thanks for the advice goons. I'll pick one and give it a go.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 3, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm sure you've all heard about PETA's message to Games Workshop. It's been the talk of the mini industry the last day or so.

Here's Reaper's response.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I had to look it up but drat, that's better than when they went after Obama about that fly.

OTOH people wearing furs like they do in WH is entirely ahistorical.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody have any picture guides or videos showing proper drybrushing and highlighting techniques?

Also, how do I make streaks and splashes? I have vallejo weather and engine effects but how do I streak them or splash them to make them look proper?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Drybrushing with black on any color work to make a grimy or lived in look or like a steel look?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

Drybrushing with black on any color work to make a grimy or lived in look or like a steel look?

Grime tends to accumulate near the base and recesses of things rather than the tip. Not to say it can't be done, but I've never seen anyone drybrush a darker color onto a lighter one.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Also, how do I make streaks and splashes? I have vallejo weather and engine effects but how do I streak them or splash them to make them look proper?
I haven't used them, but Vallejo has a set of guides for using their weathering effect. They're all here http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/weathering-effects/family/34 as step by step guides.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Hobo posted:

I haven't used them, but Vallejo has a set of guides for using their weathering effect. They're all here http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/weathering-effects/family/34 as step by step guides.

Guess I need an airbrush

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mango sentinel posted:

Grime tends to accumulate near the base and recesses of things rather than the tip. Not to say it can't be done, but I've never seen anyone drybrush a darker color onto a lighter one.

Well maybe I've been doing drybrushing wrong then. Is it supposed to be an even coat? I thought drybrushing was just supposed to catch raised surfaces or apply like uneven coats for effect

I never learned 2 drybrush or highlight

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Drybrushing is to catch raised surfaces. I've always had a hard time with wanting too much paint on my brush for drybrushing because I'm impatient.

I don't know of any links to vids but if you're using powders and want streaks I think you build up the powders at the top of the part then use water to pull it down the side.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
You might be better served with an uneven application of wash for grime.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Guess I need an airbrush

Im actually just gonna try blowing on my brush manually will post results

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you want grime and recessed filth you really just need to take a very thinned dirty color of the same type (acrylic/enamel/lacquer), dab an area with an overloaded brush, and let gravity do the rest. If the paints are the same the thinned color will end up staining wherever it travels even if excess gets wiped/absorbed off.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 4, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

mango sentinel posted:

Not to say it can't be done, but I've never seen anyone drybrush a darker color onto a lighter one.
I do it for paint chipping.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Rush job to experiment with pre-heresy colors for Space Wolves - is it just me or did I inadvertently paint a wehrmacht space marine :s

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ayn Marx posted:

Rush job to experiment with pre-heresy colors for Space Wolves - is it just me or did I inadvertently paint a wehrmacht space marine :s

That's really really clean, nice work.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Phi230 posted:

Well maybe I've been doing drybrushing wrong then. Is it supposed to be an even coat? I thought drybrushing was just supposed to catch raised surfaces or apply like uneven coats for effect

I never learned 2 drybrush or highlight

Drybrushing does well at doing wear effects - things one exposed edges tend to wear quickly, so drybrushing base colour over the paint colour (i.e. metallic paint on a surface that's supposed to be painted metal) works to simulate wear.

But grime and rust and corrosion and grossness tend to accumulate in recesses and dips, so washes are your friend there. Typically movie propmakers will do a thick wash then wipe off the raised surfaces, but that;s tough to do at mini scale.

You can also do a nice job of weathering with coloured pencils if you're careful.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

TTerrible posted:

That's really really clean, nice work.

Thanks! I'm considering painting the whole 40k army with these colors, I don't like the modern scheme that much...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

Drybrushing does well at doing wear effects - things one exposed edges tend to wear quickly, so drybrushing base colour over the paint colour (i.e. metallic paint on a surface that's supposed to be painted metal) works to simulate wear.

But grime and rust and corrosion and grossness tend to accumulate in recesses and dips, so washes are your friend there. Typically movie propmakers will do a thick wash then wipe off the raised surfaces, but that;s tough to do at mini scale.

You can also do a nice job of weathering with coloured pencils if you're careful.

The painting guide I am using says to basecoat + wash + then drybrush the flat surfaces again, and then drybrush with a lighter mix of the basecoat color

is this the type of thing?

Or lets say I use Castellan Green (Generic dark green) as a basecoat. I wash, then drybrush the flat spaces and edges?

Another question. When painting 15mm minis, how do I affix them to the popsicle stick for painting? Like just use PVA glue or tape?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You're trying to weather 15mm minis?

You're a braver man than I...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

Another question. When painting 15mm minis, how do I affix them to the popsicle stick for painting? Like just use PVA glue or tape?
I use blu-tack, and I personally like sticking them on this 8oz craft paint bottle.

Sticking them to something you grab with your whole hand means you're using your wrist to stabilize instead of your fingers and I find it a good bit easier to manage, personally.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Interesting. That should apply to 28mm just as well.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Cross Post. I painted!

DiHK posted:

I managed to paint a significant number of uniformed dudes for the first time in about a decade. Too bad I am not at all happy with them. I suffered from bad mold/flash and fragile bayonets and by the time I got around to painting I just wanted to get them done and move on. I think I'll avoid metal mini's armed with muskets & bayonets in the future.

Anyway, here's some Languedoc Grendarmes. (I kinda went my own way with the drummer boy)

Officer, "NCO", and the dude that I want to be my officer but he needs a musket (originally one of the pole-arm dudes)

I also did a test on some VikingsSaxon Hearthguard for SAGA. I am way happier with them compared to the French Grenadiers.

Now I've got to paint all these guys.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Ayn Marx posted:

Nah dude that grey isn't the right shade for German tanks in July of 1941. :hitler:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

You're trying to weather 15mm minis?

You're a braver man than I...

Vehicles mostly.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My favorite things to sticky-tack minis to are those rectangular containers that chessex dice come in. They're big enough that you grab them with most of your hand.

They also have the added benefit that you can stick the mini to the lid and flip the lid around to protect the mini inside the case if you need to be mobile.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Ayn Marx posted:

I want to paint as clean as you do when you "rush" stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So apparently badger's 10' hose includes a water trap. But nowhere does it show that on the Amazon picture or description. So now I have this extra water trap that's not worth the hassle of returning to Amazon and I might just hook it up to the compressor anyway for a comically long triple water trapped hose. The extra water trap is huge, probably made for paint sprayers, but still fits the 1/4 outlet. :v:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I got the same hose, and was surprised as well. but luckily I needed a second water trap.

The worst thing about doing power weapons. Anyone have any cool other ideas for power weapons? It looks good on the claws but I think it's getting a little outdated for the swords anyway. It takes forever too.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Floppychop posted:

My favorite things to sticky-tack minis to are those rectangular containers that chessex dice come in. They're big enough that you grab them with most of your hand.

They also have the added benefit that you can stick the mini to the lid and flip the lid around to protect the mini inside the case if you need to be mobile.

This is feeling like a blow my mind life hack. :aaaaa:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I got the same hose, and was surprised as well. but luckily I needed a second water trap.

The worst thing about doing power weapons. Anyone have any cool other ideas for power weapons? It looks good on the claws but I think it's getting a little outdated for the swords anyway. It takes forever too.

How about an iron sword with neon green blood? Would compliment both the dusty orange and ice blue claws well IMO.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The red on that terminator is really nice. What legion? BA?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Painted up this fat lad over the weekend, I'm usually not one to boast but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Just need to figure out what scenic base to do for him!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You should be proud - he turned out revoltingly awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My only complaint with that model is that I feel like more than the guts should be glossy. Good job!