Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

...how the hell did I mix up Rouse with Drive
At least you got the right category of spirit commands. You could have confused Rouse for say, Hope or Alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone who didn't know, you can Pre Order the English version of V as of right now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nephrite posted:

For anyone who didn't know, you can Pre Order the English version of V as of right now.

Shame I have no Internet at my house right now or I'd go do it(don't trust doing this sort of thing through a phone browser)

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
all the encouragement I need to order a much cheaper physical copy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nephrite posted:

Nice, but I've already got a physical copy on pre-order, I'm willing to wait.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

all the encouragement I need to order a much cheaper physical copy.

Cheaper including shipping?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huh, they're going with some of the lozalized names- "True Mazinger" and "Star Blazers 2199".

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AradoBalanga posted:

I think Rouse did that at one point, but I cannot recall what game(s) applied that effect.

Alpha? That feels like a really Alpha thing to do.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think at least some of the games where rouse is the "adjacent allies gain will" spirit (rather than "targeted ally/squad gains will") it works with docked units. I seem to remember it works that way in @G and maybe the GBA OG games?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nephrite posted:

Dang, I guess this means no anisong outside of the Japanese version. Playasia doesn't have it for the physical copy anymore either. Oh well, if custom soundtracks are sorta confirmed anyway thats fine too! I'm sure all the versions are available somewhere anyway.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm trying to order SRWV off of play-asia, and I went though the whole paypal thing and authorized payment but on my play-asia account, in the My Purchases section, there's a "pay" button under actions that whenever I click it, it sends me to my shopping cart, which it shows as empty. And nothing's been pulled from my paypal yet.

Will it just automatically pay up for me later or is something messed up?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I'm trying to order SRWV off of play-asia, and I went though the whole paypal thing and authorized payment but on my play-asia account, in the My Purchases section, there's a "pay" button under actions that whenever I click it, it sends me to my shopping cart, which it shows as empty. And nothing's been pulled from my paypal yet.

Will it just automatically pay up for me later or is something messed up?

Something is wrong, play asia always charges immediately. Ask customer support, they've always been quick to help.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Raxivace posted:

Huh, they're going with some of the lozalized names- "True Mazinger" and "Star Blazers 2199".

They went with "Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash" there while in GGG it's "Mobile Suit Gundam: Brilliant Hathaway."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair GGG isn't an actual us localization unlike star blazers and true mazinger

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
http://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-v-english-subs/13/70a98f

This PlayAsia page still has Japanese text and stuff while the PS Store page seems to be down or not available or whatever. Should we just wait to preorder from the store? I'm not 100% confident it's the full on English version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PurplieNurplie posted:

This PlayAsia page still has Japanese text and stuff while the PS Store page seems to be down or not available or whatever. Should we just wait to preorder from the store? I'm not 100% confident it's the full on English version.

Are you logged into a non-SNG account? If so you won't see it then because if you're logged in it tries to automatically force you to whatever region you're logged in to.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurplieNurplie posted:

That's the right on on play-asia. They often copy the first (usually Japanese) description they get to the Asian product pages.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Ah, that must be it then. Weird that you still have region-locked stuff when the game is coming out in ENG either way.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I just started Z2 and immediately missed the first SR point because the AI didn't suicide on me like I thought it would. Am I going to miss the true ending or whatever if I don't get these? Or should I just not worry about them if this is my first time playing?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Getsuya posted:

I just started Z2 and immediately missed the first SR point because the AI didn't suicide on me like I thought it would. Am I going to miss the true ending or whatever if I don't get these? Or should I just not worry about them if this is my first time playing?

I'm pretty sure the story doesn't change in Z2 based on SR points. I think they just give you an option to fight a stronger version of the final boss if you want to.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Getsuya posted:

Same thing happened to me recently. I'd been playing G Gen and all attacks are post movement in that so I totally forgot that if you aren't in range of those guys on the first stage they'll move and be unable to attack! SR Points don't do anything afaik other than the level 99 final boss thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

the closest thing to a sr point plot change in the z2 games are the zero points in 2.2

even the difficulty of the final boss of z2.1 is based on dialogue choices and not SR points

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wait how many games are there from Z2 to the end of the Z series? I forgot they kept it going on PS3/Vita. Isn't there like Z3-3?

That's going to be like reading through The Wheel of Time in Japanese with all the text between that many games. Maybe I should just play some of the stand-alone SRWs instead. I do have all the GBA and one of the DS ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Wait how many games are there from Z2 to the end of the Z series? I forgot they kept it going on PS3/Vita. Isn't there like Z3-3?

That's going to be like reading through The Wheel of Time in Japanese with all the text between that many games. Maybe I should just play some of the stand-alone SRWs instead. I do have all the GBA and one of the DS ones.

Z, Z Special Disc, Z2 1 and 2, Z3 1, 2 and the originals-only sidestory

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh, so only 4 games if I'm starting at Z2. That's not quite as bad.

How long would you put each one at, assuming I only play each once and assuming I take the time to read about 80% of the text?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Oh, so only 4 games if I'm starting at Z2. That's not quite as bad.

How long would you put each one at, assuming I only play each once and assuming I take the time to read about 80% of the text?

They're all about 20 hours or so, except the sidestory which you can knock out in a hour or two.Like most SRWs the first 15-20 stages go by super quick and it gradually gets longer.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As I play SRWJ I feel like some of the crossover stuff works and some of it feels a little forced.

Like when Zeorymer's Masato learns of his background and wonders if that means he's actually a Coordinator, that's a cool detail. But then stuff like Kira having to pilot the Strike comes off as a little flimsy when we have like 20 other machines on the Archangel alone at any given time, to say nothing of everything also on the Nadesico. Random ZAFT soldiers recognize that Domon and co. are also piloting Gundams, but unless I missed some weird detail in a route split, what they even would be doing if the Devil Gundam wasn't running around seems unexplained since the Gundam Fight doesn't seem to be a thing here (Which makes both their Gundams' similarities and differences in regards to the ones that were hidden at Orb odd in this particular setting).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 6, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Personally I think Z2 feels more skippable than Z1, Z2.1 in particular. Also Z1 is a much better game in most ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I missed some weird detail in a route split, what they even would be doing if the Devil Gundam wasn't running around seems unexplained since the Gundam Fight doesn't seem to be a thing here (Which makes both their Gundams' similarities and differences in regards to the ones that were hidden at Orb odd in this particular setting).

They actually do explain it but it basically amounts to "the Gundam Fight was called on account of war." Dearka IIRC talks about it at one point.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Caphi posted:

Personally I think Z2 feels more skippable than Z1, Z2.1 in particular. Also Z1 is a much better game in most ways.

Sadly it's not portable and portable is about the only way I can play a SRW game. I'm currently reading the LP though.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I was watching New Getter Robo again yesterday and I was wondering, was "Abayo Dachiko" in TTGL supposed to be a nod to that or is it just super generic line? I do not really remember hearing it in any other animes I've seen.

The Kamina scene doesn't really feel like a call back to it, but the Kittan scene kinda does.

Also, I really would like a game to cross over Getter Robo Armageddon with New Getter Robo. Having those two Ryoumas (and Hayatos) go at each other I think would be a lot of fun (either talking or fighting). Plus when Ryouma gets all high on Getter Beams during the Four Heavenly Kings would be a great SRW moment (though a bullet sponge boss most likely.)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Has there ever been multiple versions of characters in the same game before?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WrightOfWay posted:

Has there ever been multiple versions of characters in the same game before?
Does Char and Frontal count?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd like to see manga Hayato.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did they add Robot Jox robots to this series yet?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Did they add Robot Jox robots to this series yet?
No but I need groin chainsaws on all my robots right now.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Anybody heard/seen if they are planning a premium sound version of SRW V in English?

Apparently there was a collector's version of English SRW OG MD that didn't show up on play-asia until almost release and I preordered way in advance.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
What's wrong with L and K? W seems to top all the 'best SRW games' lists in Japan but they seem to hate L and K. I was sort of looking forward to K as a Fafner fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

What's wrong with L and K? W seems to top all the 'best SRW games' lists in Japan but they seem to hate L and K. I was sort of looking forward to K as a Fafner fan.

K:
A much weaker story and general design than W, one of the absolute bottom-tier originals. Basically the only thing it does well is revamp Cagalli's story from SEED Destiny into her being competent and effective.

L:
Feels half-baked, doesn't do very much fun or creative. Better than k but honestly genuinely forgettable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I liked playing L and K if only for some of the rarer series inclusions like Iczer and Gun X Sword.

• Locked thread