Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bhodi posted:

One weird thing is their email / tracking on shipping is slow; it's entirely possible you'll get a "Shipped!" email and when you click the tracking number it's out for delivery, having being shipped the day before.

Hope that's true. I'm just a spoiled American who's bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Hope that's true. I'm just a spoiled American who's bitching.
Well, I'm rooting for you! Make sure you get stands, my tracking got 300% better once I got the sensors above my shoulders

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

averox posted:

Any co-op or is it just team vs team multiplayer?

I'm not that interested in going against other players but would sure love a co-op milsim.

Team vs Team. Why are you against PvP when its functionally the same in a milsim? Personally I'd rather deal with people limited by their own capabilities than AI that ranges from braindead to military geniuses each split second a la Arma.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

averox posted:

Any co-op or is it just team vs team multiplayer?

I'm not that interested in going against other players but would sure love a co-op milsim.

It's VR era counterstrike, so team pvp only. 4v4 teams where one team defends the objective from being hacked.
It's still early access and it's being done by one dev, he is awesome and is currently visiting/developing his game at valve for another few weeks. Long term big improvements he is working on are increasing the team size, more maps, gameplay modes and maaaaaybe eventually vehicles.
In addition to fantastic gunplay the game social components really shine. The VR headsets having a mic built in and the great inverse kinematics from VR head+hands really makes it seem like your teammates are really there in ways other games in the past have never reached.
The community is pretty great and helpful and have come up with some fun alternative gameplay modes like hostages (one guy goes over to the other team and his team has to rescue him but the hostage can try to pull out a knife and kill his captors) and zombies (night map where one team only has pistols and the other team has night vision and knives) that are pretty fun.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bhodi posted:

Well, I'm rooting for you! Make sure you get stands, my tracking got 300% better once I got the sensors above my shoulders

What stands did you get?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
any camera stands/mounts will work, they all use universal 1/4" screws. I got adhesive ones I stuck to my walls by searching 'adhesive camera mount' and picking whatever ones on amazon that had good ratings and were cheap

this is what I got, if you want to put them on your walls
https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Adhesive-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00DWA0QLS/

or you can get something like this if you are trying to elevate the cameras already on a desk
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XN1P9QI/

but pretty much anything will work

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bhodi posted:

any camera stands/mounts will work, they all use universal 1/4" screws. I got adhesive ones I stuck to my walls by searching 'adhesive camera mount' and picking whatever ones on amazon that had good ratings and were cheap

this is what I got, if you want to put them on your walls
https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Adhesive-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00DWA0QLS/

or you can get something like this if you are trying to elevate the cameras already on a desk
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XN1P9QI/

but pretty much anything will work

I ordered a trio of these things https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D49TU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 gonna see if I can slap some command strips to them.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Team vs Team. Why are you against PvP when its functionally the same in a milsim? Personally I'd rather deal with people limited by their own capabilities than AI that ranges from braindead to military geniuses each split second a la Arma.

Sometimes it's easier to just go in and shoot randomly difficult AI dudes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

One weird thing is their email / tracking on shipping is slow; it's entirely possible you'll get a "Shipped!" email and when you click the tracking number it's out for delivery, having being shipped the day before.

I remember getting a tracking number literally the day before I got mine lol.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

averox posted:

Sometimes it's easier to just go in and shoot randomly difficult AI dudes.

Yeah I wish it had co-op too :(

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So my poor tracking quality error for Touch that i posted about a few pages is back, i got suggested to buy something like this to fix it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it won't ship to my country and i can't find a online store that sells it or anything like it that seems good at all. Would something like this work?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Icy-Box-IB-AC618-Port-Charge/dp/B00NM6BXKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486342936&sr=8-2&keywords=Icy+Box+USB+3.0

Not necessarily that one exactly, but a external USB thingamajig like that with a power supply.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That most likely won't work. The point of getting a USB card is to get another USB controller (or multiple controllers) with its own bandwidth. A USB hub will not do that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

That most likely won't work. The point of getting a USB card is to get another USB controller (or multiple controllers) with its own bandwidth. A USB hub will not do that.

Yeah, that's what i was suspecting. Thanks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Edit: wrong thread

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 6, 2017

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Technolust is getting Touch support this week apparently: https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/01/technolust-oculus-touch-update-coming-within-the-next-week/
Anyone tried this, is it any good?
Also has anyone had a look at Sairento VR? Early access but I've heard a few good things about it: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Name_ASC&tags=-1&vrsupport=402&page=35

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Also has anyone had a look at Sairento VR? Early access but I've heard a few good things about it: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Name_ASC&tags=-1&vrsupport=402&page=35

Yes I have as have a few others. The reviews are that it's amazing.

I have a few videos of playing it (not specifically a review), here is one.

This is towards the end game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dlErypBj6A

Unfortunately there isn't a ton there yet, and probably only about 6 hours of game play before you see everything it can do. But of all the things I've played it's probably near the top.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone up for getting together for some multiplayer climbey or serious sam tonight? Would be cool to get a group of goons together

edit: vanishing realms and sairento are both Buy Plus ratings from the walrus

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im insanely bad at Climbey but if you post when you are doing it and Im aroudn I can try to play

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

This looks... absurdly terrible though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

This looks... absurdly terrible though.

It's not. From watching that video for 30 seconds he needs to work on his style. The katana is incredibly strong and should really be your primary weapon (though in your left hand). Ideal combat maneuver is jumping in an arc through the air in slomo, capping some dudes from the air, landing next to your target and slicing his head off. It's good.

Map selection is extremely limited and the enemy AI is braindead at best but the core gameplay is there so hopefully the rest will come.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 6, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also finally tried out GORN this weekend, wow that's fun poo poo. needs some balance though, when things get hairy it's hard to resist picking a dude up and beating his friends to death with him. human battering ram op.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Walrus posted:

also finally tried out GORN this weekend, wow that's fun poo poo. needs some balance though, when things get hairy it's hard to resist picking a dude up and beating his friends to death with him. human battering ram op.

This is the best part though. The only real problem with it is that you can't just rip people's heads off, you can only stretch them out, and ripping people limb from limb definitely needs to be added as the fallback option for when you get in trouble.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I saw Knifegrab callout for some Tabletop Sim this weekend, I wasn't able to at that time but am up to check out some TT games at a later time. Been wanting to get in on that since I don't have any RL friends that have enough attention span to play anything past a few card games. Also I saw there was a Cards Against Humanity Steam Workshop addon for it so that would be fun with a bunch of VR goons I would imagine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so I'm going to spam the thread with this every day until sat:

Saturday! 1:00 ET! come hang out with internet people in VR. I'm open to suggestions for games but right now I'm thinking we should play:

1. Climbey - until our arms get tired
2. Serious Sam the First Encounter - shoot some fols
3. VRChat - It's free so maybe we can just start with this one? I strongly recommend we all use the skeleton skins and go around freakin people out with our skele ways.

So again, saturday at 1:00 ET. I'll post steam friend info in subsequent posts.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Okay so I'm going to spam the thread with this every day until sat:

Saturday! 1:00 ET! come hang out with internet people in VR. I'm open to suggestions for games but right now I'm thinking we should play:

1. Climbey - until our arms get tired
2. Serious Sam the First Encounter - shoot some fols
3. VRChat - It's free so maybe we can just start with this one? I strongly recommend we all use the skeleton skins and go around freakin people out with our skele ways.

So again, saturday at 1:00 ET. I'll post steam friend info in subsequent posts.

I'm surprised you wouldn't start with Rec Room. That's a good one that's on both platforms and free.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thought VR chat might be a bit fresher as it offer similar features and is newer. Rec room doesn't have skeleton avatars is a big knock against it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Thought VR chat might be a bit fresher as it offer similar features and is newer. Rec room doesn't have skeleton avatars is a big knock against it.

Yea but it does have Paintball.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Is there a steam group/discord for this shindig?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

App13 posted:

There's [url=https://discord.gg/TbcwT] but people rarely say anything in it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

App13 posted:

I'll set something up this evening.

edit: or may as well just use the one above but I'll post my steam info this evening.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I would be down but have plans this Saturday, will be there in future. VRChat skellys does sound like an important thing to experience.
I don't quite get peoples' love for Rec Room. Although I've only done paintball and that's, well... Paintball, just like in real life except you can't move around normally and you don't get the excitement of actually getting hit in the face with paint.
Is the other cool stuff in it? I saw some other games but haven't looked yet

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 7, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

El Grillo posted:

I would be down but have plans this Saturday, will be there in future. VRChat skellys does sound like an important thing to experience.
I don't quite get peoples' love for Rec Room. Although I've only done paintball and that's, well... Paintball, just like in real life except you can't move around normally and you don't get the excitement of actually getting hit in the face with paint.

Charades and Disc Golf are my favourites and are really well done. I like the zero g tennis as well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

rec room owns.

1. the social aspect
2. it looks nice
3. there are multiple minigames other than paintball. 3D Charades is baller, disc golf owns.
4. Its free
5. they are adding in more and more content all the time and just got millions of dollars of funding

boxing soon, some new Quest mode, etc as well

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also Ive been playing a ton of climbey and rec room past few days and my body hurts. my dumb body isnt used to this much exercise

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I believe quest mode will be added on Thursday, so we could give that a go on Saturday maybe.

As log as some serious Sam gets played I'll be happy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I don't have Serious Sam but I'm totally down for Goon Onward and Unspoken but with more drinks and a relaxed atmosphere than dealing with pubbies (though I played with a bunch of brits in Thailand on Onward and they were the chillest dudes and it was great) which will make things way more fun. Also I'm down for Rec Room.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah had just posted in the vive thread, apparently rec room's wow lite update is out this thursday, so I'm gonna say we meet up in the lobby there, again this saturday afternoon at 1:00 eastern standard. From there we can figure out what to play next as a group if that gets old. I'll post about it once more on friday to remind everyone

e: steam info is http://steamcommunity.com/id/torontowalrus/ but we can probably just pick somewhere physical to meet up in the lobby, like just next to the booth in the middle there.

edit: I'm also gonna be playing a solid amount of climbey tomorrow evening, there's few enough servers ppl should just hop on if they're playing anyway, it's so good with other people. some kid was going on about some dude named dempshey from call of duty or something, he wouldn't stop with it, any other online game it would be annoying but it was pretty hilarious. i was then dempshey for a while, though i needed to put on a deeper voice to do it convincingly apparently

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 8, 2017

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Any ideas getting SteamVR working properly with an Oculus Rift? For some reason I'm always standing at half height, and the screen glitches out when I play The Lab. I tried resetting the seated position, but it didnt fix the issue. Meanwhile the Oculus Home area works perfectly and the height is appropriate. I just updated to the SteamVR beta but it didn't seem to help much.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

Any ideas getting SteamVR working properly with an Oculus Rift? For some reason I'm always standing at half height, and the screen glitches out when I play The Lab. I tried resetting the seated position, but it didnt fix the issue. Meanwhile the Oculus Home area works perfectly and the height is appropriate. I just updated to the SteamVR beta but it didn't seem to help much.

Here's a guide on how to make SteamVR work properly:

1. Sell your Rift and occlusion prone Touch controllers.

2. Buy a Vive

3. Start SteamVR and you should be good to go.

Don't worry, with Revive you'll still be able to play your Oculus exclusives that you may have already bought.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Are you calibrating the height by putting it on the floor and entering 0? Maybe try putting it on your head and entering the height or something