Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
rich and his weird self wife are adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Dylan McKay posted:

rich and his weird self wife are adorable

All this talk reminds me of Rimmerworld from Red Dwarf. Rich and his clone concubines that only he may look upon because they're so beautiful.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how Rich possibly gets through life without drinking

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He has videogames, he has a clonewife, a good circle of friends and all he has to do for a living is play videogames and watch movies

He is living "the good life"

He'll die early because he's incredibly obese and unhealthy, but until then he will prosper

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Dude's prob pulling ~25-35k just by doing his bi-monthly dying seagull impression, good for him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A known AIDS profiteer Rich Evans.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Shame he has the back of a 96 year old man, or he could get back into construction and get hella buff.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

lmao

Rich's lady friend doesn't really like games, and isn't funny, so I didn't get why she was there. Although, she might be the only person that can cut through Rich's forcefield of overconfidence in his own opinions - other than Mike who just emotionally batters him.

Plus they're kind of cute with the 'I love you's. It's like she's thawed his ice ogre heart - just a bit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Rich's lady friend doesn't really like games, and isn't funny, so I didn't get why she was there.

They were doing an experiment, let someone who doesn't play games play The Stanley Parable.

It failed, but it's not hard to understand why she was there and why she was bad at games.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

WampaLord posted:

They were doing an experiment, let someone who doesn't play games play The Stanley Parable.

It failed, but it's not hard to understand why she was there and why she was bad at games.

I had the same idea and tried the same experiment last year. I let my dad play the Stanley Parable and he was too confused about using the mouse and the keyboard at the same time. Because he was too confused about basic things like moving around he didn't really care about the game itself and what was going on. By the time he got to the broom closet he started getting dizzy and we had to stop.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
One time, my mom tried playing Ecco the Dolphin. She couldn't jump over the first rock in her way. She wouldn't let us help her cuz she wanted to do it on her own. It was infuriating.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

WampaLord posted:

I meant more so in general. She's one every other steam of theirs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MrSlam posted:

I had the same idea and tried the same experiment last year. I let my dad play the Stanley Parable and he was too confused about using the mouse and the keyboard at the same time. Because he was too confused about basic things like moving around he didn't really care about the game itself and what was going on. By the time he got to the broom closet he started getting dizzy and we had to stop.

Gutcruncher posted:

One time, my mom tried playing Ecco the Dolphin. She couldn't jump over the first rock in her way. She wouldn't let us help her cuz she wanted to do it on her own. It was infuriating.

This is pretty much why games now have been really dumbed down to where a few of them are just "press a single button at the right moment after watching the game play itself on auto-pilot". The general public doesn't really play video games, at least not ones requiring a controller or keyboard and mouse. The dudebros who play sports and Call of Duty games grew up playing EA Sports games on their Playstations and Sega Genesis, so they have at least some gaming experience, and the regular video gamers grew up with the NES or Super Nintendo. It's like you have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk, and jumping into some modern games is like trying to run a marathon when you're barely a toddler.

Like, Jay can play platform games and is actually pretty decent at them, because he learned those skills back in the NES days and hasn't lost them. But he'd be at a total loss trying to play a modern FPS or some esoteric game that doesn't have a clearcut "go from point X to point Y" goal.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Mike knows how to poo poo on the floor and that's about it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

The general public doesn't really play video games

GTA 5 sold 60 million copies.

A large part of the general public plays video games.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

If someone has a smart phone, they have probably at some point played a game on it.

Video Games are mainstream as gently caress

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I recently got talked into a friend to try "sven co-op" and it's flat out just classic half life but multiplayer. I totally forgot about crouch-jumping and how important it was to the game. Today there'd be some "mantle" system that would activate in context sensitive places and play a little animation of you pulling your self up. But nope, in half life you have to jump then duck in order to pull your self up certain heights. I remember back in the day a lot of people got stuck on things like that, and tricky key-combos like that have pretty much died out in video games.

I also remember when "mouselook" first became a thing. Previously you'd play FPS games with the arrow keys, or the mouse to actually turn left or right. The whole mouse to look and keyboard to move/strafe thing created a big division with tons of people saying it was way too hard and unintuitive and would never catch on. Now it's totally standard to the point that we all take it for granted, but you give a game like that to someone's grandpa or someone's who's never played games and they always have a very very hard time at it. I remember watching my dad try to play quake because he loved wolfenstien but he could not get it. He was just like Lady-Rich, totally unable to use both at the same time. He'd have to totally focus on moving around with wasd while he rubs up against walls not facing the right direction, then stop, then switch over to the mouse to look around, then switch back to the keyboard. Could never use them at the same time. Unlike rich's ladyfriend he was highly motivated, he wanted to play Quake, but he simply could never develop the mouse + keyboard at the same time skill. He'd eventually start remembering the levels, moving, looking/shooting, moving, looking/shooting, but always stopping between each, never at the same time :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Back in my day, you had to EARN a cutscene with a mysterious man in a suit who wouldn't explain poo poo to you. We spent all day clicking spacebar on various walls to progress with no prompts whatsoever and we liked it dammit. People today so spoiled with their tutorials and PS4 trophies for doing NOTHING that's what's wrong with this console generation I tell you what.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

King Vidiot posted:

Like, Jay can play platform games and is actually pretty decent at them, because he learned those skills back in the NES days and hasn't lost them. But he'd be at a total loss trying to play a modern FPS or some esoteric game that doesn't have a clearcut "go from point X to point Y" goal.
Go play Legend of Zelda for NES without a guide and see how point X to point Y it is. Or better try ET or Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari, BITCH.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/828356157395894272

hope the pats lose plinketto.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
that better mean they're releasing a new botw today

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Baronjutter posted:

I recently got talked into a friend to try "sven co-op" and it's flat out just classic half life but multiplayer. I totally forgot about crouch-jumping and how important it was to the game. Today there'd be some "mantle" system that would activate in context sensitive places and play a little animation of you pulling your self up. But nope, in half life you have to jump then duck in order to pull your self up certain heights. I remember back in the day a lot of people got stuck on things like that, and tricky key-combos like that have pretty much died out in video games

Its the blurring of games and software, where games that automate things as since as improvements instead of gameplay concepts. I used to ET:QW (came out at the same time as TF2, no one remembers its) and it encourage people to circle jump and wall jump past obstacles. It was broken and really unfair to most noobs that couldn't understand how the enemy team ended inside their base and shot them in the back. I kinda felt sorry for them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's the Landis episode, isn't it?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Paladinus posted:

It's the Landis episode, isn't it?

I think that got scrapped because max landis is a little bitch boy.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

a bone to pick posted:

that better mean they're releasing a new botw today

They probably won't release anything until tomorrow.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

dreezy posted:

I think that got scrapped because max landis is a little bitch boy.

Max Passed Thru their lives, huh

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVijUWZwZo4

:flashfap:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hooray! And it's Max Land-less to boot!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Landis over Josh tbh

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

EmmyOk posted:

anyone over Josh tbh

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No Mike, has Jack

damnit

oh well imma watch anyways

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rich lookin good with that haircut. He's gonna have his own Jay-type transformation.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
josh looks like a thumb that's about to explode.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
The only things under Max Landis are preteens

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lmk if Mike emotionally batters Rich

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Very good ending. Shut up josh.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Josh is one of those guys that the more hair they lose on top the more comes out on the bottom. He's like halfway to ZZ Top.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Thirty one minutes in.

They are still talking about the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Baronjutter posted:

Very good ending. Shut up josh.

ending was so good

• Locked thread