Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Reinstalled a new refurbished stock exhaust system on my transalp. My old can was full of extra holes and rusted as hell. But the Dominator brand can i got didn't properly fit under the side panels or fitted properly with normal side luggage racks, it lacked proper mount points vs my bike so it was wiggly and broke the flange to collector pipe. I learned my lesson, no name/unknown generic slip-ons are crap, i'll never buy that ever again. If you ever need to replace exhaust stuff on older bikes, go refurb stock or akra et al high end stuff.

I also changed the fork oil, but had less oil than I needed.. Sealed it up and I'll top it up before I use the bike.

Edit: had a picture

Supradog fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Stuffed the renewed registration in the toolbox and put a new sticker on the plate. Took the dealer plate frame off so my girlfriend will stop complaining about it even though it's period correct from a dealer that doesn't exist anymore

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I kept getting complaints that my rear end wasnt bright enough. Hokay.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Love it. That's a crazy array, and a lot of phosphor. What diodes did you use? Aren't those only active when signalling, though?

I changed my oil almost 1k later than I should have, because I'm a bad person. I also realized that I'm only 300 miles from my 690's 6k valve check, which I dread doing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
superflux leds. those are only indicators/hazard flashers. the tail lamp incorporates the same style of led. theyre bright as gently caress.

Valvecheck on the 690 shouldnt be too bad.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You, uh, you crashed in those yet? Because I just bought these not because I think they look better and I want to be cool but because I don't want to have replace another rear blinker. http://sicassracing.com/store/turn_signals/led/orange_lens_led_flat_mount_ktm?zenid=57cde658d9278093850ef613d1fb94cd

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
i had em on the original build. they were torn off after about a year of flops. eating bulbs all the time is what drove me batty about em. I had built a lower profile indicator that never gave any problems, they were just hard to see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Build a few more pairs and be sure to include some E markings on the lenses some where. No particular reason TIA.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TS400: Sold it, finally. I didn't get as much as I'd like for it, but it's been for sale for months without a better offer. He seems like he's gonna actually restore it, though, so hey, money and garage room towards a 450f.

Sprint: The Shad bracket doesn't fit on the mo-tech rack I bought, so I made it work with a couple strips of aluminum bar I had laying around.

It'll fit two helmets barely but as long as we can lock gear up, I can convince the fiancee to take the bike more places in the summer. :toot:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
What shad case is that? I have been eyeing the SH48 for the back of my s1000xr for months.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ordered rim tape for the SV because rim tape owns and you should always install rim tape.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I was going swap out the rear sprocket for a +2 (as well as a new chain and front) but I forgot about Ducati's penchant for large, weird as hell sized sockets to remove the rear wheel. Time to get on Amazon. :shepspends:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I ordered rim tape for the SV because rim tape owns and you should always install rim tape.

My bike is 25% rim taped (and not very neatly) because I only managed on side of one wheel before getting bored/frustrated and giving up.

It does own though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ripoff posted:

I was going swap out the rear sprocket for a +2 (as well as a new chain and front) but I forgot about Ducati's penchant for large, weird as hell sized sockets to remove the rear wheel. Time to get on Amazon. :shepspends:

I just went through the same thing with the SV. I had a 30mm socket and a 33mm socket but I needed a 32mm to get the front sprocket off. Thankfully my local autozone had one.

I did have to order a 42mm off amazon for my Elite 250 clutch though :psypop:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Put ProTaper bars on my Zuma 125. Next: real handguards, maybe some kind of frame sliders. How supermoto-y can a scooter be? Scootermotard? Scootard?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Put ProTaper bars on my Zuma 125. Next: real handguards, maybe some kind of frame sliders. How supermoto-y can a scooter be? Scootermotard? Scootard?

I rode a 2T manual scooter today and I assure you the answer is very. Very motarded.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Whatever you may call it, it is pretty cool and you should keep it up. Do they make spoked wheels for scoots?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That's awesome. Don't stop. I love those little zuma's anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A scooter can be as supermoto as you want. Also that Zuma owns.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Shaved off the starter motor.

I rebuilt the engine last year after the starter clutch ate itself, and destroyed just about every bearing in the case. I removed the battery and all electric start components and made the bike kick-start only... except of course for the starter motor, which sat there, taking up space for ages.

The bike looks brappier without it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rdb posted:

What shad case is that? I have been eyeing the SH48 for the back of my s1000xr for months.

It's the SH45. I'd probably go a step bigger next time, but I didn't want something ridiculously huge on the back of this bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

WildWanderer posted:

I rebuilt the engine last year after the starter clutch ate itself, and destroyed just about every bearing in the case. I removed the battery and all electric start components and made the bike kick-start only... except of course for the starter motor, which sat there, taking up space for ages.

That looks way brappier without it. I can't even figure out where the starter would have gone, before.

Your chain is on the right side?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WildWanderer posted:

So...how are your lights and poo poo gonna work?

Coydog posted:

That looks way brappier without it. I can't even figure out where the starter would have gone, before.

Your chain is on the right side?!

It's a 640 or similar.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Yeah, she's kind of an oddball. Kicker on the left, chain on the right.
I don't think the supermoto version of this bike ever made it stateside.

You can see the mount that the starter motor bolts to. It's right under the exhaust pipe where it kinks upward.

With the starter gone, it looks more like an MX bike. Just cylinder and gearbox.

Next projects are to remove the ugly license plate holder/mud flap thingy from the tail

Swap out the headlight/dashboard thingy with a flat numberplate and an LED bar. Nice thing about living in Greece is cops don't care about modifications, what you use for lights, etc. You just have to hang on to the old parts for the inspection which they only do every 2 years.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

WildWanderer posted:

Did you need to block off the hole the starter gear goes into?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

I rode a 2T manual scooter today and I assure you the answer is very. Very motarded.

Oh I have one of those, too, the Stella in my av. I think they were sold as the Belladonna in NZ?

Mine's a bit more retarded than motarded, though. It breaks a lot. I should probably get it rideable again.

Ripoff posted:

Whatever you may call it, it is pretty cool and you should keep it up. Do they make spoked wheels for scoots?

I've seen Zuma/BWs 125s with spoked wheels on the internet but I haven't seen any for sale. Probably some crazy Taiwanese shop sells some.

Coydog posted:

That's awesome. Don't stop. I love those little zuma's anyway.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A scooter can be as supermoto as you want. Also that Zuma owns.

Thanks dudes. I've had it for a while but only started changing things pretty recently: TST variator with light roller weights, that LED taillight, and now the bars. It is perfectly reliable and doesn't give a poo poo about anything and I don't want to mess with it enough to change that.

If it ever needs top end work it's getting a BBK, though. 8hp to 11hp :getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Oh I have one of those, too, the Stella in my av. I think they were sold as the Belladonna in NZ?

Holy hell that's exactly what I rode!

Quick questions:

Is it normal to have trouble finding second going down from third?

Is it normal for the choke to be counter-productive at all times?

How fast can yours go if you're super brave?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

Holy hell that's exactly what I rode!

Quick questions:

Is it normal to have trouble finding second going down from third?

Is it normal for the choke to be counter-productive at all times?

How fast can yours go if you're super brave?

It was either that of or an old Vespa or Lambretta, not really a lot of options in the manual 2-stroke scooter world.

1. Not specifically 3>2 but when I first got mine I hit false neutrals constantly. I think it was a combination of it being brand-new and it being my first shifty bike. It got better. They need to be shifted decisively in my experience. They're sensitive to gear oil, clutch cable adjustments, and shifter cable adjustments (there are 2, one in each direction, so maybe the downshift cable on the one you had was a bit off).

2. How do you mean counter-productive? On mine, it's required for starting unless it's just been shut off, but will bog down and stall if left on or if pulled while running. Unless it has an air leak and is running away, in which case pulling the choke for a couple seconds will save it.

3. Mine is not 100% stock and I don't know how stock US-spec compares to stock NZ--spec anyway. Stock it came with a restricted air filter, very lean tune (98 main), and a restrictive catalyzed exhaust. My speedometer never worked then (piece of poo poo) but I'd bet it wouldn't do more than about 45 mph, maybe 50. It just ran out of breath. Right around when the warranty expired I put on a standard Vespa air filter (more open), a Sito+ exhaust (no cat and much bigger) and completely retuned the carb - full new jet stack with a 104 main. Basically bringing it to how the '70s Italians imagined that motor to be tuned. In addition to feeling like 50% more powerful off the line it would then do like 57 mph on the flats with no wind and a tuck at which point it'd run out of revs, not power. And that's with a pretty accurate aftermarket speedometer.

I really gotta get mine into the garage to look over it. The motor's fine but I've lost faith in the rest of the bike. They're fun as hell when they're running, and there's a very good aftermarket - these things can rip.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It was either that of or an old Vespa or Lambretta, not really a lot of options in the manual 2-stroke scooter world.

1. Not specifically 3>2 but when I first got mine I hit false neutrals constantly. I think it was a combination of it being brand-new and it being my first shifty bike. It got better. They need to be shifted decisively in my experience. They're sensitive to gear oil, clutch cable adjustments, and shifter cable adjustments (there are 2, one in each direction, so maybe the downshift cable on the one you had was a bit off).

2. How do you mean counter-productive? On mine, it's required for starting unless it's just been shut off, but will bog down and stall if left on or if pulled while running. Unless it has an air leak and is running away, in which case pulling the choke for a couple seconds will save it.

3. Mine is not 100% stock and I don't know how stock US-spec compares to stock NZ--spec anyway. Stock it came with a restricted air filter, very lean tune (98 main), and a restrictive catalyzed exhaust. My speedometer never worked then (piece of poo poo) but I'd bet it wouldn't do more than about 45 mph, maybe 50. It just ran out of breath. Right around when the warranty expired I put on a standard Vespa air filter (more open), a Sito+ exhaust (no cat and much bigger) and completely retuned the carb - full new jet stack with a 104 main. Basically bringing it to how the '70s Italians imagined that motor to be tuned. In addition to feeling like 50% more powerful off the line it would then do like 57 mph on the flats with no wind and a tuck at which point it'd run out of revs, not power. And that's with a pretty accurate aftermarket speedometer.

I really gotta get mine into the garage to look over it. The motor's fine but I've lost faith in the rest of the bike. They're fun as hell when they're running, and there's a very good aftermarket - these things can rip.

It definitely felt like it could be woken up a bit but certainly had no catalyst. Topped out around 100k/60mph if you were really loving committed but the practical upper limit felt more like 90km/h.

I ask about the choke because on that particular one it seemed to make no difference to how it started and it refused to idle (unless you held the throttle open) for maybe the first thirty seconds from dead cold. I did find that eventually I mostly got used to the shifter and beating it from one gear to another but sometimes those subtle down-shifts into traffic would get me stuck in a horrible false neutral between 2 and 3.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

So...how are your lights and poo poo gonna work?

Why would removing the starter motor have any effect on lights? Given that this is a bike with a dedicated generator

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why would removing the starter motor have any effect on lights? Given that this is a bike with a dedicated generator

I was referring to him removing the battery.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm the best at reading words :downsgun:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Somewhere on the youtube is a video of a guy on a small frame vespa (similar to a stella) pulling power wheelies and keeping up with a sport bike of some kind. I assume it's the original bottom end engine because it's still using the twist shift.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Somewhere on the youtube is a video of a guy on a small frame vespa (similar to a stella) pulling power wheelies and keeping up with a sport bike of some kind. I assume it's the original bottom end engine because it's still using the twist shift.

Smallframes are a lot smaller, actually - like 160 lbs vs. 250. The size of a Honda Metro. And they can be insane 25+ hp rippers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is that the 05 blue? I'm trying to figure out what color rimtape to throw on mine, too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, 05 blue, the tape is this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WPTYN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RM0LybKGKHTTB

Went on easy with the included applicator. All said it was like a 20 minute job, 10 of which was wheel cleaning.

Bear in mind what you're seeing in my shots is the reflective shade of blue because I have a big flood light pointed at it. When it's not reflecting it looks slightly darker, closer to the color of the bike.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 5, 2017

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

What handlebar guards are those? Didnt know they would work with bar end mirrors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tusk D-Flex

They are super roomy, I'd be surprised if you found a bar end mirror that didn't work

They are these: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1036/9533/Tusk-Aluminum-Handguards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I liked the reflective red tape I put on my SV.

I want to put some on the Striple but not sure what color. Maybe gold to match the forks?