Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Neo-geo - source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kGJBv6Wr4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So my latest game is interesting. I decided to do a gimmick run with various settings added into one giant galaxy and it's just an utter mess of politics. Like about half the galaxy is filled with xenophobic humans of various settings and alien nations. Which means they also hate other humans. Also because I downloaded the two United mod packs I have a ton of races from other settings that can use the traits they have in that.

It's gotten to the point where even Fanatical Purifiers and the (modded) scaled up version of that Psychotic Hordes have become vassals and tributaries to all these xenophobic empires just crashing into each other over and over again. Not helping things is that I have that synthetic mod and decided to use United Races/Traits to recreate a Cylon knockoff. Except they're considered so utterly repugnant by other empires that any migration with them to an empire that hasn't invested in tech to make their populace happy can potentially cause them to cause a minor rebellion due to how hated they are. Which causes a split off empire to form if it wins thanks to Improved Populations.

I have this weird thing going where there's a Federation between my militaristic megacorporation that's slowly turning into an outright empire, the Jedi, a race of aliens known as the Coruscanti, and the humans from Star Trek. Basically the only people in my area of the galaxy that aren't hate filled bastards that look at other people as slaves and cannon fodder.

How the hell do you get people to actually join your Federation though? I have people nearby that could theoretically join it, but they're hovering at an infuriating -5 to -7 no matter what I do. It was doable to make a huge Federation that'd eventually curb stomp even AE's as a Xenophile but i'm actively working with a -.25 negative trust here as it is.

So far i've just contented myself with adding everyone I meet into protectorates so they don't get eaten when the Unbidden/Prethoryn/AI comes (All will eventually come. Hence me wanting to preserve as many of them as possible/roll them into my empire. I'm looking to weather the storm.). Is that what I should be focusing on instead of building a Federation as a non-xenophile empire?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 5, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i find that being a pdox enthusiast is sort of like playing cookie clicker, in the sense that after some time has passed, playing the games is just as foolish as clicking the cookie manually. truly ascended masters such as myself simply buy all the dlc and read about others' playthroughs

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Libluini posted:

This is all very interesting and all, but I'm itching to see what Exploration brings to the table.

What was said; it's the science tree. Will probably have some unique things, but cheaper stations, faster research speed, and so on are all there too.

Speaking of unique things: Harmony reveals, with another previously-an-ethos-tech building being one of them.

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828184101584789504
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828196152554172416
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828205364655095809
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828205905653223425

It's very, well, utopian.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Peacekeeper achievement tip: hope for a war in heaven. The achievement doesn't count either fallen empires or vassals/servants/etc., so as soon as everybody chooses a side the achievement will pop.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Coolguye posted:

doesn't literally everyone get a -80 genocidal malus if you butcher an entire race

All the regular empires will hate you sure, but who cares about that. The Xenophile FE will barely even notice; one of the perks of the dismissive attitude.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's funny that Harmony also lets you keep some slaves (- unrest). For the Greater Good?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
What do you think people mean by 'working together for the greater good'? That you'd actually get to enjoy the fruits of your labour?

No friend, you'll enjoy your just deserts in the heavenly afterlife. Conveniently after you're dead.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 5, 2017

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

What was said; it's the science tree. Will probably have some unique things, but cheaper stations, faster research speed, and so on are all there too.

Speaking of unique things: Harmony reveals, with another previously-an-ethos-tech building being one of them.

It's very, well, utopian.

Yesssss

I try to run as high a happiness as possible (as in, I go out of my way to cultivate it if I can afford to do so all), so permanent happiness boosts like that make me very... well, happy. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think the first game of Banks I'm going to play will be based around trying to generate as much unity as quickly as possible just so I can play with all the new poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok I'm liking the happiness boosting stuff and I like how they're trying to make these sort of "ethos neutral".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DatonKallandor posted:

It's funny that Harmony also lets you keep some slaves (- unrest). For the Greater Good?

From a design perspective, it makes sense, really. They're trying to make all the Tradition trees useful for every ethos, or at least almost every one, depending on how you play, so it being able to help Authoritarians and Xenophobes as well isn't bad as long as it doesn't do it in a way that goes against the game's other goals.

Such as theme, which... This actually works here too. Your joke is more or less spot-on; while it might not match the first impression Harmony gives, "everyone accepting their place in life and working towards what's best for the society/empire/whatever as a whole" does work as one interpretation of it. It's not the only way to utilize or interpret the tree, thankfully, but it is one way it can apply.

RabidWeasel posted:

I think the first game of Banks I'm going to play will be based around trying to generate as much unity as quickly as possible just so I can play with all the new poo poo.

Baronjutter posted:

Ok I'm liking the happiness boosting stuff and I like how they're trying to make these sort of "ethos neutral".

I'm liking it a lot too. One thing I find particularly interesting is them being easier to get for smaller empires; larger ones have more resources and such, but smaller ones get these bonuses and consequently Ascension Perks much faster. It seems like a way to try to make playing smaller, or at least not always rapidly expanding, more viable and powerful, and I hope it works out.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm getting more and more curious about what's happening to ethics bonuses. It made sense that the private colony ship was being moved out of egalitarianism as it didn't fit anymore. But my favorite part of pacifism was the paradise dome. Well, my favorite part besides the governments that raise your core systems.

Honestly, it's probably a good change to make it so there aren't as many hidden down-the-line bonuses for ethics (I would have no idea about the paradise dome if I hadn't looked it up on the wiki), but there are some buildings like the alien visitor center and monument to purity that are a bit too intrinsically tied to an ethic to go anywhere else.

Between that and per-pop bonuses being taken away, and factions being a major effect of ethics, it seems like the whole system is being shaken up.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Roland Jones posted:

I'm liking it a lot too. One thing I find particularly interesting is them being easier to get for smaller empires; larger ones have more resources and such, but smaller ones get these bonuses and consequently Ascension Perks much faster. It seems like a way to try to make playing smaller, or at least not always rapidly expanding, more viable and powerful, and I hope it works out.

I appreciate that a lot, since if all else is even I'd rather intensely cultivate a relatively small amount of space than to have a sprawling empire.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eiba posted:

I'm getting more and more curious about what's happening to ethics bonuses. It made sense that the private colony ship was being moved out of egalitarianism as it didn't fit anymore. But my favorite part of pacifism was the paradise dome. Well, my favorite part besides the governments that raise your core systems.

Honestly, it's probably a good change to make it so there aren't as many hidden down-the-line bonuses for ethics (I would have no idea about the paradise dome if I hadn't looked it up on the wiki), but there are some buildings like the alien visitor center and monument to purity that are a bit too intrinsically tied to an ethic to go anywhere else.

Between that and per-pop bonuses being taken away, and factions being a major effect of ethics, it seems like the whole system is being shaken up.

Yeah, a lot is changing; having watched the first segment of the stream on the Paradox Extra channel, a lot seems to be balanced around Traditions now. For example, there weren't any near-guaranteed anomalies early on. Even the lowest had failure rates of 25% or so. One of the first two Exploration perks, meanwhile, reduces anomaly failure rate by (I think) 15%, plus another effect.

I like it, for the most part. It's definitely going to shake things up and take some getting used to, and older strategies will need to be reworked, possibly significantly, but it seems to be adding a lot to the game as well.

Meanwhile, more Harmony:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828322518578655232
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828327812583022592

This tree seems to have basically everything I want except science stuff. It and Exploration are probably going to be the primary focuses of my friendly science squid empire.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 5, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828327812583022592

Harmony is definitely one of the trees that seems the most attractive to me for now. Those distance-from-capital ethics diversion penalties can be brutal.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It does seem like harmony may be too broad. I can't see why you would ever not take it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Opportunity costs.

For what it's worth, I rarely focus on the Harmony tree when playing, but I'm bad at Stellaris.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rumda posted:

It does seem like harmony may be too broad. I can't see why you would ever not take it.

Wanting the other things more. It has a lot of nice things but it doesn't do everything, and really none of its bonuses help you do things. Leader lifespan improvements make it so you don't replace leaders as often, less ethics divergence and more happiness helps keep problems from arising, but other than high happiness yield modifiers it doesn't really improve your production or give you new things to do and so on.

It offers stability, which is nice, but at the same time I don't think Harmony should be anyone's first choice of Tradition tree, based on what I'm seeing here. It's a second or third tree even for the people who want it a lot, I figure. And some people (like those who want other trees's benefits more and have higher unity costs, such as warmongers and people who aren't very, well, harmonious) may just never take it. It being good for anyone doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will take it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 5, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
AH gently caress THE SPIRITUALIST FE WOKE UP

I HAVE 20K FLEET POWER FUUUUUUUU

time to try to organize a galactic MDP despite being raging xenophobes

e: what's the wisdom on fighting AEs again? it's been a minute since i played with them in game and i only remember them being a nightmare.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't high happiness provide a percentage bonus to pop productivity? That sounds pretty powerful to me. Exploration flat out gives science points, harmony gives you a little bit of everything, provided your dudes don't hate you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's hard to weigh what's good or not since so much in changing in 1.5. The whole ethics re-work is going to be a huge change, and happiness and unrest reduction probably play closely with ethics drift and factions.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Truga posted:

Doesn't high happiness provide a percentage bonus to pop productivity?

with the faction rework i hope they remove that mechanic because it was super dumb.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 5, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Question for the devs: Can we please get the ability to rename factions?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah the faction system is completely different and so intrinsically entwined with your government ethics that it seems entirely pointless to try and figure out any particular strategies right now.

GlyphGryph posted:

with the faction rework i hope they remove that mechanic because it was super dumb

It does a good job in making happiness actually useful though, there needs to be some distinction between 'just happy enough' and 'really happy' otherwise you will always want just enough happiness to keep people in line and any extra is kind of useless.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Harmony is the hole that was made exactly for me, and I have no choice but to walk into it.
My entire playstyle is always centered around maxing out happiness and minimizing ethos drift.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah the faction system is completely different and so intrinsically entwined with your government ethics that it seems entirely pointless to try and figure out any particular strategies right now.

It does a good job in making happiness actually useful though, there needs to be some distinction between 'just happy enough' and 'really happy' otherwise you will always want just enough happiness to keep people in line and any extra is kind of useless.

It actually does a real lovely job at making happiness useful and by its very nature as like a fourth order widespread benefit it is super hard to balance too.

They might be keeping it, but the new faction system seems far more effective as a tool to give happiness real and significant value. Make happiness represent stability and resiliance at cost, while unhappiness is cheaper but risky if you dont maintain strong control over your citizens

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 5, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, +20% production of every resource sure is useless.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The more of those they reveal the more I feel that some are going to be disgustingly overpowered and basically mandatory and some are going to be abject trash that are never worth taking.

Meanwhile, sector governers sitting on 4000 minerals will probably continue to build nothing despite every tile on a planet being occupied by pops.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Coolguye posted:

e: what's the wisdom on fighting AEs again? it's been a minute since i played with them in game and i only remember them being a nightmare.

Kite them. They will happily chase a small stack around their empire while your doomstack occupies all of their planets.

If you're in a War in Heaven scenario, ignore them and focus on their allies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zurai posted:

Yeah, +20% production of every resource sure is useless.

This is such a stupid comment in like three different ways at least.

One I didnt say it was useless, I said it was a lovely way to make it useful. Having every tech you research give you 50% more minerals would make them more useful but would still be a lovely way to obtain that result.

Second its absolutely not a 20% increase in production. Dont confuse whats displayed with the actual result.

Third, yeah a 20% increase in production from a feature you basically have to shape your whole empire around to achieve actually is super lovely and we arent even getting that

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

with the faction rework i hope they remove that mechanic because it was super dumb.

Actually, it's a really good mechanic. Happy people are far more productive than angry people, even enslaved ones.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

Actually, it's a really good mechanic.

why?

quote:

Happy people are far more productive than angry people, even enslaved ones.

this is as untrue as it is seemingly irrelevant

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ulmont posted:

Kite them. They will happily chase a small stack around their empire while your doomstack occupies all of their planets.

If you're in a War in Heaven scenario, ignore them and focus on their allies.

they're currently screwing around with dudes between me and them so it sounds like this will be done for me to some extent. they awoke really really early this game so i guess my best bet is to start a war of liberation and try to force a favorable peace while i've got a chance of doing something

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you're right, that's why all the world superpowers run on slaves, because slaves are more productive
Because it gives a benefit of going beyond an arbitrary number. Numbers that give a penalty when below number x, but absolutely nothing when above the same number is poo poo game design. It's why most RPGs have gotten rid of accuracy, or give accuracy some kind of additional bonus when you go above 100%.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

AH gently caress THE SPIRITUALIST FE WOKE UP

I HAVE 20K FLEET POWER FUUUUUUUU

time to try to organize a galactic MDP despite being raging xenophobes

don't.

or if you have to, shoot and scoot tactics work relatively well the last time i had the ae event. arm yourself with the longest range weapons you can and blast them, then retreat when they get close. rinse and repeat because ae's actually have a very hard time replenishing their fleets, because that massive spawn only happens once.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Setting aside the happiness debate, we got the last Harmony option:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828347510162862081

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hope we'll be able to mod those things. The galaxy needs the ability to enable cheetos (+50% food consumption) and neckbeards (repugnant, -10% happiness).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

Yeah you're right, that's why all the world superpowers run on slaves, because slaves are more productive

in game slaves are more productive. That is what i meant by it not being true. i didnt think you were going for quite this level of irrelevance. "something sort of similat happens in real life" is not an argument that something is a good game mechanic

Truga posted:

Because it gives a benefit of going beyond an arbitrary number. Numbers that give a penalty when below number x, but absolutely nothing when above the same number is poo poo game design. It's why most RPGs have gotten rid of accuracy, or give accuracy some kind of additional bonus when you go above 100%.

"It is better than literally nothing" is a pretty weak argument especially when you arent arguing against someone advocating literally nothing. Also your points dont even tie together on top of assuming half the system would still be in place and its just :psy;

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is it super dumb?

• Locked thread