Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I'm sorry, Jeff, but you're not macho, and you're DEFINITELY not nacho.

Episode 23: Macho Nacho.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I wish I wasn't 5 hours away from being able to go home and watch this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The layout the room with the spiral staircase is also very reminiscent of another room we played through with a spiral staircase.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Pirate Christmas you say?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The main room with the Gatling Gun enemy might be the hardest thing on Crushing difficulty.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Well, in case no one has done it yet, I think I'll claim Elena as my waifu.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This might also be an easy thing but I love how Avery's Descent is both about the cave and his literal decent into madness.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I like the bit about Elena being Drake's literal light in the darkness during that part.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

bobjr posted:

The main room with the Gatling Gun enemy might be the hardest thing on Crushing difficulty.

I just played on hard and goddamn that room.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know, the town is full of archaeological discoveries, the mansions are in pretty good shape and aren't going anywhere, and the location is fairly easy to reach with a helicopter. On top of that, it's pretty clear the Drakes aren't in this for the money anymore, so why doesn't Rafe call a truce, hold a press conference, and then come back later with an army of archaeologists?

I guess it's good that the game has established that Rafe is Captain Poor Life Choices, because the hunt for Avery's treasure is getting increasingly pointless as they explore Libertalia.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You know, the town is full of archaeological discoveries, the mansions are in pretty good shape and aren't going anywhere, and the location is fairly easy to reach with a helicopter. On top of that, it's pretty clear the Drakes aren't in this for the money anymore, so why doesn't Rafe call a truce, hold a press conference, and then come back later with an army of archaeologists?

I guess it's good that the game has established that Rafe is Captain Poor Life Choices, because the hunt for Avery's treasure is getting increasingly pointless as they explore Libertalia.

And there's also all the books and movie deals that could be made. He could make billions, but he's got the gold fever and wants the bullion.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I appreciate that Avery, through his ever growing greed and paranoia, still got a pirate stone mason to make at least one sorta angel statue for his booby-trapped escape tunnels. I guess he didn't have time to commission skeleton statues, so settled for the more personal non-stone touch to even it out.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, it says something about the writing of a game when a chapter of an archaeological action game, involving a descent into madness, murder, civil war, betrayal, and the mutilation of the dead can leave me with a big old goofy grin on my face...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I was on edge even just watching that cave descent, and I just realized that's because it's very reminiscent of some parts of Dark Souls. All three games have similar sections of descending into dead-filled catacombs and crypts that are really claustrophobic, linear and full of traps, the only real difference is that Dark Souls would bring in the undead enemies.

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls 2 or 3 even had exploding mummies at some point.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zagglezig posted:

I appreciate that Avery, through his ever growing greed and paranoia, still got a pirate stone mason to make at least one sorta angel statue for his booby-trapped escape tunnels. I guess he didn't have time to commission skeleton statues, so settled for the more personal non-stone touch to even it out.

You gotta figure there was some kind of skull statue bulk deal, and he just pulled one out of the extras.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I don't think Avery intended this as a scam all along, I just think he succumbed to the dragonlust like Thorin did. Probably started as "we can live like kings and still provide for the comfort of our men" and went downhill from there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The match she had lit the room up as well as the torch she got later on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

Well, in case no one has done it yet, I think I'll claim Elena as my waifu.

Nathan Drake beat you to it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

That was a mean trick, Elena.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So these videos have been going on for a while and I might not quite remember everything, has it ever been pointed out that one of Drake's Steel Fist animations is kicking a guy in the nuts so hard he just up and dies? It's happened in the first big firefight of this update.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Aumanor posted:

So these videos have been going on for a while and I might not quite remember everything, has it ever been pointed out that one of Drake's Steel Fist animations is kicking a guy in the nuts so hard he just up and dies? It's happened in the first big firefight of this update.

He's dead inside.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It appears that the Uncharted series is kinda good.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Samovar posted:

That was a mean trick, Elena.

Yeah, seriously. Trying to trick him into believing gibbets is pronounced like gif? Shameful.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
That whole sequence is great, the lack of light, the spooky exploding mummies, the traps, Elena and Nate's little interactions. I'm going to miss this series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that Elena's nose gets bumped when they kiss, Uncharted 4 continues to be littlest details the video game

doctorsacred
Jan 8, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The match she had lit the room up as well as the torch she got later on.

Yeah, gently caress that game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I was on edge even just watching that cave descent, and I just realized that's because it's very reminiscent of some parts of Dark Souls. All three games have similar sections of descending into dead-filled catacombs and crypts that are really claustrophobic, linear and full of traps, the only real difference is that Dark Souls would bring in the undead enemies.

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls 2 or 3 even had exploding mummies at some point.

It's very Dark Souls now. You're lighting piles of bones on fire now, after all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

maswastaken posted:

Or the fulcrum is much, much closer to Nate's end.

(But it's not. Elena has reptilian supermuscles and is denser than the average journalist)

I donno, I've seen some dense journalists.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Once again, the game sells me on Nate and Elena's relationship.

That fight in Avery's mansion killed me a few times, even on Normal difficulty. It's gotta be just about the toughest fight in the game. Having the Mateba helps, though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Why do I get the feeling that someone in this episode had just watched Sherlock?

Anyway, yeah. I'm starting to think that Naughty Dog is officially specializing in trojan-ing in new developments in animation and expression by way of passable-to-excellent action games.

It's long been a lament of mine - and I think of several of the higherups at Naughty Dog - that you basically can't ever see a game with this level of animation, technology and production values that isn't a setpiece shooter of some kind. The closest ND ever came was The Last of Us, which itself wasn't beyond occasionally locking you in a room and forcing you to shoot your way out. Uncharted 4 lets you stealth into several encounters, and even stealth past certain encounters, but... nope. It's fundamentally just a pretty great shooter (which falls apart on higher difficulties).

I don't think there's any other people who make games like this, where the main draw of a setpiece-action game is the story cutscenes, and not even just for the story, but for the acting, and for the technology by which the acting is portrayed in-engine. The only other example I can think of is Mafia III, which has a real good plot and pretty good voice acting stapled onto a moderately-okay open world sandbox which is mostly devoid of much interactivity (possibly deliberately). Quantic Dream think they're all that, and I guess their one demo of the sad old man was pretty nice, but they utterly fail to sell the fruits of all their labour as anything resembling human once it's all packaged into a videogame. Meanwhile, Naughty Dog don't fill the back of the box and 100% of their marketing with talk about how amazing and incredible their character models are, they just low-key stick all this amazing Emotion Technology into this dinky little action game and wait.

Games are weird.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Goddamn the last minute there was a hell of an emotional roller coaster.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I just got done with playing Half Life 2: Episode Two and listening to the commentary. I will always believe whats holding 3 is Half-Life's expectation of being the cutting edge in tech and storytelling but Valve can't compete with Naughty Dog's pace. Alex was unreal in 2004

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

That jump-swing-punch move was :sicknasty: and straight-up Indiana Jones.

Shame on not picking up any Condors during the cave fight, though. :colbert:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 5, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I figured Elena was okay just because there's no way to have her die and the game to have any kind of satisfying conclusion.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I just got done with playing Half Life 2: Episode Two and listening to the commentary. I will always believe whats holding 3 is Half-Life's expectation of being the cutting edge in tech and storytelling but Valve can't compete with Naughty Dog's pace. Alex was unreal in 2004

Valve should've hired John Carmack.

The foliage, lighting, and color design in the entire Gated Community section is amazing. The indoor environments have the best lighting work in the game, and there's a great mix of architectural detail and plant life.

I was reminded of Shambhala when Drake and Elena climbed to the top of the first mansion. I like how the scene frames the other mansions like you're going to be jumping from rooftop to rooftop, but then dumps you in the river.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What's holding Half Life 3 back is that Valve are fully focused on making money via Steam and CS:GO which will make them more money this year than HL3 would in its entire lifespan. Any time they're not focusing on CS:GO is spent on DotA2, which will make them more money this year than HL3 would in its entire lifespan.

The thing about HL2 is that it was also basically a tech demo for them to sell on the Source engine to make a lot of money. It's not an especially good game (blasphemy, I know).

--

I wonder if Naughty Dog will get the guts to simply make a game without combat in the future. I wouldn't say combat's the weakest part of this game* because a lot of it's generally average but they've sort of exhausted the pot at this point when it comes to Uncharted. Here's a decrepit building, fodder, a dude with a grenade launcher, a sniper and a heavy dude. Just run around a bit and get the drop on them. I don't think they have a good base for combat when it comes to Uncharted.

The Last of Us was a better than U4 in generally all the ways it can be besides the PS4 letting Uncharted 4 look better than it (though TLOU being 60fps on PS4 is extremely good to the point where I'd maybe even consider it personally to make the better fidelity in U4 a wash in comparison to it), with better enemy variation, combat situations and had a lot more unique threats and solutions in combat, as well as an engaging crafting system that actively played into your capabilities in combat. It's weird to me how this game is such a big step back from TLOU. And I wouldn't consider that the best game of all time like some people like to say too, far from it.

*The huge focus on generally impossible to fail platforming that takes no thinking to figure out and sudden not sudden broken handholds is probably the worst part of this game is the worst bit and it's a good % of the game as a whole. The party banter isn't nearly as good as they think it is to carry it.

TL;DR: Naughty Dog should go play Vanquish and then get Shinji Mikami and then make Vanquish 2 but only do the graphics for it and then I get Vanquish 2 and everyone else gets to experience a Vanquish game because they'll buy it because it has Naughty Dog on the box and this plan has ZERO flaws.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 5, 2017

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Avery really needs different arts and crafts projects, his current ones leave something to be desired.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What's holding Half Life 3 back is that Valve are fully focused on making money via Steam and CS:GO which will make them more money this year than HL3 would in its entire lifespan. Any time they're not focusing on CS:GO is spent on DotA2, which will make them more money this year than HL3 would in its entire lifespan.

The thing about HL2 is that it was also basically a tech demo for them to sell on the Source engine to make a lot of money. It's not an especially good game (blasphemy, I know).

--

I wonder if Naughty Dog will get the guts to simply make a game without combat in the future. I wouldn't say combat's the weakest part of this game* because a lot of it's generally average but they've sort of exhausted the pot at this point when it comes to Uncharted. Here's a decrepit building, fodder, a dude with a grenade launcher, a sniper and a heavy dude. Just run around a bit and get the drop on them. I don't think they have a good base for combat when it comes to Uncharted.

The Last of Us was a better than U4 in generally all the ways it can be besides the PS4 letting Uncharted 4 look better than it (though TLOU being 60fps on PS4 is extremely good to the point where I'd maybe even consider it personally to make the better fidelity in U4 a wash in comparison to it), with better enemy variation, combat situations and had a lot more unique threats and solutions in combat, as well as an engaging crafting system that actively played into your capabilities in combat. It's weird to me how this game is such a big step back from TLOU. And I wouldn't consider that the best game of all time like some people like to say too, far from it.

*The huge focus on generally impossible to fail platforming that takes no thinking to figure out and sudden not sudden broken handholds is probably the worst part of this game is the worst bit and it's a good % of the game as a whole. The party banter isn't nearly as good as they think it is to carry it.

TL;DR: Naughty Dog should go play Vanquish and then get Shinji Mikami and then make Vanquish 2 but only do the graphics for it and then I get Vanquish 2 and everyone else gets to experience a Vanquish game because they'll buy it because it has Naughty Dog on the box and this plan has ZERO flaws.

I think part of the issue with the combat is that rag-tag enemies have a lot more diversity than a modern well-equipped military. As it is, the PMC soldiers here really have an unusual amount of enemy diversity, and some of them are stretching it, like the dudes without body armor and carrying pistols. A post-apocalyptic game makes every individual piece of modern military kit much more unusual.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Last I heard there was a report that Valve tried a few different approaches with HL3 and none of them were up to their standards. So as of now nothing is happening with that. I don't think we will ever get it at this point. October is the 10th anniversary of the release of the Orange Box for God's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Lynkericious posted:

Avery really needs different arts and crafts projects, his current ones leave something to be desired.

"The brushes that painted their hearts black."

"The fabric that cloaked their treachery."

"The yarn that wove webs of lies."

• Locked thread