Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Is there any reason not to spend a unit's SP as soon as they have enough to unlock a skill, other than to save up for a different, more expensive one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nope

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

General Morden posted:

also is it worth it to level up/promote this 3* robin that I got

Not a terrible idea if you can. He doesn't really come into his own until 5* though. At 5* he can get the skill that gives him advantage against colorless units which makes him great for loving ranged units.

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
My first 20 Orb pull got me a 5* Tiki, my second got me a 5* Ogma. Both of them Red. My best Blue is a 4* Cordelia. She's ok, I suppose, what with having a Brave Lance equipped along with having Triangle Adept and Pass as skills. Soon as I can, I hope to upgrade my Arthur from 3* to 4*. He's my best Green by far. Especially once I unlock his Emerald Axe. It basically gives him Triangle Adept 3 for his weapon slot. He's only got HP+ and Lancebreaker as his skills though.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Hopefully this bug gets fixed soon, I'd like to actually use the 4* Gordin and Ogma I just pulled.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Mummy Brigade posted:

My first 20 Orb pull got me a 5* Tiki, my second got me a 5* Ogma. Both of them Red. My best Blue is a 4* Cordelia. She's ok, I suppose, what with having a Brave Lance equipped along with having Triangle Adept and Pass as skills. Soon as I can, I hope to upgrade my Arthur from 3* to 4*. He's my best Green by far. Especially once I unlock his Emerald Axe. It basically gives him Triangle Adept 3 for his weapon slot. He's only got HP+ and Lancebreaker as his skills though.

Young Tiki or Adult Tiki? Adult is meh, Young is baller.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
adult tiki is a very good physical damage soaker

she can also counter from any range so she's p. good

i've been using her 4* variant

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How does balance usually work in these games? Like do developers nerf/buff over/underpowered stuff or will they just leave them be and release new things?

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.

Haroshia posted:

Young Tiki, and yes she has basically been my frontline shitkicker since I pulled her.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Andrast posted:

How does balance usually work in these games? Like do developers nerf/buff over/underpowered stuff or will they just leave them be and release new things?

There are supposedly laws in Japan for gacha games against nerfing stuff that people might have chucked a ton of money trying to roll. At least that's why I've heard they're so squeamish to nerf gacha-only characters in Granblue.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Nino is the loving worst.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

There's a couple ways it's handled. The first and worst way (but sadly most common) is straight up power creep. It encourages buying and pulling to get the new hotness, and follows a terrible death spiral where the content that gives currency requires the strongest units that you need currency to get. The second way is they offer "Rebirths" of older units where you can clear events to power them up and make them close to the most powerful units. This is more grindy, but gives the option between grinding a bit or spending money to get the newest powerful units to clear current content. There's still power creep, but it usually isn't as drastic. The third way is the method they use in the second, but they also provide a method for certain units to have synergy with each other that makes building a SPECIFIC team more important. This encourages pulling a lot, but doesn't make you hate pulling less powerful units because they might synergize well with your existing units to make your team more powerful.

I can't see any existing systems to do the second and third methods in this game, so having them go with the first method seems most likely. There may be some hidden depth here I'm not seeing, or they may add new systems as the game goes on.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Serra has the most reliable attack buff because she auto-buffs everyone each turn. Serra is also a surprisingly adept attacker on her own. Elise gets a great attack buff though slightly less reliable, but also heals herself each team she heals. Maria basically never dies and is a healing monster. Clarine is a strong debuffer and she's also a magical girl which is a huge plus.

Every other healer is usable, but either significantly less reliable or has weaker skills overall. Like Lissa is fine, but she's a less good Serra. Same deal with Wrys, who is straight up Elise but really weak.

Wrys apparently gets a heal-all special instead of one of the stat buff specials. A heal-all sounds cool, but I imagine the buffs are more useful at the high levels since heal amounts are static. But I don't use a healer myself. :shrug:

Mummy Brigade posted:

Cordelia is supposed to be really really good at 5*- she gets the awesome combination of a Brave wep and Galeforce. Triangle Adept might narrow her target options but I imagine it also makes it possible for her to just sail through multiple Reds. I can see her not being overwhelming before 5* though, maybe even not without 10-20 levels under her belt. My 5* Hinoka plays similarly and gets better and better the higher level my team gets, for a comparison.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haroshia posted:

There's a couple ways it's handled. The first and worst way (but sadly most common) is straight up power creep. It encourages buying and pulling to get the new hotness, and follows a terrible death spiral where the content that gives currency requires the strongest units that you need currency to get. The second way is they offer "Rebirths" of older units where you can clear events to power them up and make them close to the most powerful units. This is more grindy, but gives the option between grinding a bit or spending money to get the newest powerful units to clear current content. There's still power creep, but it usually isn't as drastic. The third way is the method they use in the second, but they also provide a method for certain units to have synergy with each other that makes building a SPECIFIC team more important. This encourages pulling a lot, but doesn't make you hate pulling less powerful units because they might synergize well with your existing units to make your team more powerful.

I can't see any existing systems to do the second and third methods in this game, so having them go with the first method seems most likely. There may be some hidden depth here I'm not seeing, or they may add new systems as the game goes on.
i've seen dena just straight up buff units in their games. like mozart in fate/grand order got most of his skills improved despite being a random one star bronze dude.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Haroshia posted:

Young Tiki is a powerhouse and annihilates everything in her path, but Adult Tiki is a very solid tank and can counter any attack like a champ.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 5, 2017

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

i've seen dena just straight up buff units in their games. like mozart in fate/grand order got most of his skills improved despite being a random one star bronze dude.

That is also a thing. Nerfing isn't a thing that usually happens though...well not directly. Units just don't keep up with the power curve all the time.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Haroshia posted:

On the one hand yes he (or she) is. On the other you can pull them at 3*.

Mine dropped at 5*, but it was an initial pull.

What kind of content do you guys want for the op? I was going to focus it around how to get started. (Rerolling, understanding gacha, etc) and explain what FE is.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I kinda wish I spent the time to reroll and not link my account immediatedly to the game, because after 4 pulls, I don't think I have some super great units either way.

No 5*, that's for sure, but I guess I got a small stable of 4* heroes? Nobody super fantastic, though.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Cosmic Afro posted:

I kinda wish I spent the time to reroll and not link my account immediatedly to the game, because after 4 pulls, I don't think I have some super great units either way.

No 5*, that's for sure, but I guess I got a small stable of 4* heroes? Nobody super fantastic, though.

I think you can unlink your account somehow and reroll. I THINK.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just started playing today, I assume getting Roy and two other 4* dudes off my first 20-pull is good?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
You can but you lose any money you spent and Nintendo rewards you redeemed.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Haroshia posted:

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about it: I got Eliwood, Gwendolyn, Cherche, Wrys, Draug, Raigh, Peri, Subaki and Kagero as 4*s. My main worry is that I already used the 10 orbs that comes from linking it up, and if I do that I kinda wasted it.

And that's after 4 pulls.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 5, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Can't you just make a new nintendo account and use that for the game?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Haroshia posted:

yep just go to account managment and delete your data

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Nino is the loving worst.

Nino is level 26 and such a goddamn chore to level because even against blue units she hits like garbage and gets murdered if/when they close range. Hopefully this archer's more useful once he's leveled because at least he seems to have better attack growth.

She's also my only mage aside from the freebie 1-2 star one you could get on launch day. I got plenty of excess garbage sword users though. :shepicide:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I've been rolling with a three-star Gwyndolin but just pulled a four-star Effie. Any thoughts on Effie vs Gwyn, skill-wise? Seems Effie can push other units around, but she'd be replacing Gwyndolin, which is the unit I'd want to be using that skill on, and I'd be losing the ability to pull enemies back with me into ambushes (not that I've succesfully pulled that off more than once anyway).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I saw a tier list image but it's pretty short on info. How accurate is it? I'm guessing it's also referring to maxed out units in general.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nino is level 26 and such a goddamn chore to level because even against blue units she hits like garbage and gets murdered if/when they close range. Hopefully this archer's more useful once he's leveled because at least he seems to have better attack growth.

She's also my only mage aside from the freebie 1-2 star one you could get on launch day. I got plenty of excess garbage sword users though. :shepicide:

Are you talking 4/5* Nino? I really really want to promote my 3* Nino because I like the character well enough, and she pulls her weight okay even now at Lv 35 (about what I'd expect from a 3*), but if as a 4-5* she doesn't do well I'd rather invest the feathers towards taking Eliwood to 5* for that sweet Durandal action.

It might just be that she synergizes well with Jakob's -7 Def/Res as a 1-2 ranged punch, and that Draw Back is helpful independent on level... hmm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ I'm using a 3* Nino. Maybe at 4* or 5* she improves tremendously but compared to the usefulness of other 3* units I have, like Lissa, Nino sucks.

HGH posted:

I saw a tier list image but it's pretty short on info. How accurate is it? I'm guessing it's also referring to maxed out units in general.

Tiki and Nowi are not SS tier units. People who put them on the same level as units like Leo and Ryoma are insane. S tier? Ok sure but they sure as poo poo aren't SS tier.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

HGH posted:

If nothing else it shows there are way too many fuckin sword units. Jesus. Also I'm confused at there being no SS tier Healers or Rogues.

I will say Sully and Donnel have been doing WORK for me as spear units, so I agree with their high placement. I'd also put Merric at SS because his damage and AOE capability are amazing.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

None of the green mages are that great, but Nino is the best one of the bunch and has an attack auto-buff. Merric has a bit more defenses, but eh.

The only 4* mage (and 4* ranged unit period) I've pulled is Owain/Odin and he's a crappy version of Robin, so you're much better off.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 5, 2017

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016
I'm sure it's still way too early to rely on a tier list, but it looks like that one is an earlier version of this one, which just added a section beneath somewhat explaining the reasonings behind the SS-S rankings.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'd like to see their reasoning for Fae being SS. obviously she's the only green dragon so that's something, but mine is a level 33 4* and she just gets doubled all the time, does very little damage, and has no real favorable matchups - the things she walls also wall her (since casters generally have high resistance) and the 10 healing really falls off. the only times i ever really get any value from her is blue low Attack general-type.

the game just feels to rocket tag-ish for grindy units like her that slow the game down to work.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Evil Fluffy posted:

a) wtf my 4* Nino is an absolute murder machine and at lvl 25 has wrecked so many enemies that he's typically a couple of levels above the rest of my party

b) that little poo poo is a girl? For real?

*edit lmao I never bothered to zoom into her character portrait and just assumed she's a boy because of her name and the portrait just looks like a generic anime boy

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 5, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HGH posted:

I'd take it with a grain of salt since among other things I note that Raigh isn't on it at all.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Countblanc posted:

i'd like to see their reasoning for Fae being SS. obviously she's the only green dragon so that's something, but mine is a level 33 4* and she just gets doubled all the time, does very little damage, and has no real favorable matchups - the things she walls also wall her (since casters generally have high resistance) and the 10 healing really falls off. the only times i ever really get any value from her is blue low Attack general-type.

the game just feels to rocket tag-ish for grindy units like her that slow the game down to work.

The tier list seems to have since dropped her and in fact everyone who's not Cordelia/Hector/Takumi down to S. I think I can guess the reasoning behind it, though I want to preface that of course it's based on my own experience.

The AI is dumb and usually easy to bait into position. The tier lists rate units higher the better they are at 1RKOing enemies- it's always been a good strat in FE to protect your team by wiping out all potential threats when you can. Also like most FEs, the AI pretty always drops any other plans it had in order to attack your units (even if they do 0 damage). If Fae's really good at either initiating (dropping her +Def/Res to the rest of the team) and surviving, or just plain being used as bait, it would let you easily draw the enemy in to wipe them out. In most situations, anyway. Having Renewal helps you do this multiple times if necessary- it works out pretty well for my Jakob, who often opens maps by baiting (and often killing) enemy ranged units and then over the course of the battle often recovers enough Hp to do it again if I need him to. In my experience Threaten Attack/etc is hard to make use of, but being able to survive the enemy swarming around you would help a lot with that. Draw Back is pretty situational but certainly handy and a bit abuse-able.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I was messing around with a B team and discovered that 4-star Serra is a MUCH better healer than 5-star Sakura. Am I missing something? Is it just Physic being bugged or is there something else going on?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So CorrinF is S tier - would it be good to level her up from 3star or is that too big a hill to climb?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Zotix posted:

Camilla is flying, and is green. Which means archers and red units(the most popular kind) are strong to her. Not to mention that she gets a speed debuff on defense. Very, very lackluster.

but she can also easily kill all these rear end in a top hat tanky lance/axe users that's flooding the training grounds.

HGH posted:

who is making a tier list for a game that's out for 3-4 days?

Also no way is Maria a top tier healer when one of her skills doesn't even work properly. Ridiculous bulk though, admittedly.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

Terper posted:

With arena rewards and occasionally sending some of your units home, it should take about 3 weeks to a month to get to 20k stars, which I don't think is too much to ask for a 5 star.

No, it's pretty ridiculous that bad luck means it'll take me months to 5-star my team vs say my co-worker who has multiple 5-star teams because they got lucky rolls (without whaling, vs my whaling and nothing but 4-stars).