Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Short of the Day
Speaking is Difficult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98K_-PXPefo
Warning: Even more depressing now than when it was made

When I first saw this, I sort of rolled my eyes at it in the beginning. The concept is so straightforward that it feels like it won't accomplish much. As it goes on however it just really starts to get to you. The actual calls transposed on the could be anywhere and anytime footage (with one huge exception) just starts to build with every incident. Eventually you just see stuff you don't even remember or at least have to struggle to think of any details. Just the weight of all the footage builds and builds without any release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Death By The Blues posted:

Could also link the demo reels if you want.

Please

EDIT: Ah I hadn't seen that you'd already posted it and removed it, I was assuming you were gonna like email links to individual folks. My apologies!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Slugworth posted:

Man, I just tineyed that because I'm just broken enough to not be able to let poo poo go without understanding it.

That was easily the most obscure, no goddamn way anyone's gonna get this joke ever.

I don't mean that as a criticism, just. poo poo, man.

That's exactly what I was going for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Ring is really good.

Nah, it's lame rear end bullshit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is The Ring the movie where the horse jumps off the boat?

That was the only memorable thing about it, so much so that I'm not even sure if it's the right movie or not.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yes. It's the horse boat jump movie.

When the ring came out my wife and I had a big ol CRT tv in our bedroom that would slightly glow when you turned it off. My wife was afraid of that TV for months.

I also have a VHS of the Ring tape that is in the movie. They were leaving them in random places at the convention center during the San Diego comic con whatever year that was. I found mine in the bathroom.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I remember liking Ringu way more but The Ring was fine. I know that isn't the biggest praise to heap on a movie but it fits.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FishBulb posted:

Yes. It's the horse boat jump movie.

When the ring came out my wife and I had a big ol CRT tv in our bedroom that would slightly glow when you turned it off. My wife was afraid of that TV for months.

I also have a VHS of the Ring tape that is in the movie. They were leaving them in random places at the convention center during the San Diego comic con whatever year that was. I found mine in the bathroom.

That's way cooler than the actual movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
When you add hot dogs to Ragu thats Ringu

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna crosspost this from the movie rating thread because I don't think I really expressed how in-loving-sane Raw was in this thread

Raw A
This is one of the damnedest films I've ever seen. Like, at the beginning there's an endless listing of production companies and I don't even know how one person got convinced to put money into this but I'm glad they did because, holy crap, what a film. What we have here is basically a very french sexual awakening story. I mean you have the mousy but gorgeous virgin going out into the real world for the first time and her rebellious and sexy sister that has already fully embraced the carnality of the real world acting as her guide and rival. It's all kind of straightforward stuff for a late night cinemax movie except sex here is replaced with cannibalism. I mean don't get me wrong, there is A LOT of sex in this movie but it all gets focused towards the devouring of flesh and the sex scenes are either tinged with animalistic gnashing of the teeth and bloodlust or outright replaced with the orgasmic eating of other people. It's a movie that as I was watching it I constantly just could not believe what I was watching. This is like Crash (the good one) level stuff which coming from a first time filmmaker (who is so French btw that her profile pic in the film guide had her mid cigarette drag) is loving bonkers. Like it helps that the movie is constantly a visual treat and that she somehow films this stuff so it actually works which, once again, is insane for a first time filmmaker. I have no idea what kind of release this movie will ever see but seek it out because you will (probably) not regret it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CPL593H posted:

That's way cooler than the actual movie.

Which part

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mecha Gojira posted:

See, now I'm just thinking of the scene in Gremlins 2 where the control room jockeys make fun of Billy and the inane rules you have to follow for keeping a Mogwai.

Then having a Gremlin bust out of the control panel and gore a technician.

That is pretty much it: the relative innovation of The Ring is that you have a sci-fi explanation for what's going on (magnetic waves cause you to go crazy), but the film focuses almost-entirely on the bullshit superstitions that people come up with to cope with the phenomenon.

In Gremlins, there are these 'actual' alien creatures, but there are also these ancient legends about them. And these legends work satisfactorily, up to a point; the old dude at the start has managed to keep Gizmo in the cage for however long.

But what he's saying isn't true. Is it possible to 'go back' to 'ancient wisdom' - to live in ignorance, and believe in Santa Claus again? That's what the film's about.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Ring is a fun campfire movie that holds up and is also one of the only films set in Seattle to actually have scenes filmed in the city so props to them for that.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Raw A
This is one of the damnedest films I've ever seen. Like, at the beginning there's an endless listing of production companies and I don't even know how one person got convinced to put money into this but I'm glad they did because, holy crap, what a film. What we have here is basically a very french sexual awakening story. I mean you have the mousy but gorgeous virgin going out into the real world for the first time and her rebellious and sexy sister that has already fully embraced the carnality of the real world acting as her guide and rival. It's all kind of straightforward stuff for a late night cinemax movie except sex here is replaced with cannibalism. I mean don't get me wrong, there is A LOT of sex in this movie but it all gets focused towards the devouring of flesh and the sex scenes are either tinged with animalistic gnashing of the teeth and bloodlust or outright replaced with the orgasmic eating of other people. It's a movie that as I was watching it I constantly just could not believe what I was watching. This is like Crash (the good one) level stuff which coming from a first time filmmaker (who is so French btw that her profile pic in the film guide had her mid cigarette drag) is loving bonkers. Like it helps that the movie is constantly a visual treat and that she somehow films this stuff so it actually works which, once again, is insane for a first time filmmaker. I have no idea what kind of release this movie will ever see but seek it out because you will (probably) not regret it.

This looks rad. Apparently people fainted at the TIFF screening.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That is pretty much it: the relative innovation of The Ring is that you have a sci-fi explanation for what's going on (magnetic waves cause you to go crazy), but the film focuses almost-entirely on the bullshit superstitions that people come up with to cope with the phenomenon.

In Gremlins, there are these 'actual' alien creatures, but there are also these ancient legends about them. And these legends work satisfactorily, up to a point; the old dude at the start has managed to keep Gizmo in the cage for however long.

But what he's saying isn't true. Is it possible to 'go back' to 'ancient wisdom' - to live in ignorance, and believe in Santa Claus again? That's what the film's about.

Actually Samara was an angry ghost hth

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But Santa is dead in the chimney. :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Whoever owned this Peter Greenaway interviews book before me bracketed a paragraph and just wrote "zizek" next to it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'm guessing people who faint at movie premiers do so because they've never seen a moving picture before.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Time for some hot takes on stuff I watched yesterday:

Steve Jobs is better than The Social Network but neither really overcomes how much Aaron Sorkin sucks. Boyle really busts his rear end to make a movie consisting only of conversations while walking or taking a quick break from walking look fantastic.

Blackhat is better than Heat, but worse than all of Mann's other post Heat movies except Ali.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 5, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Aaron Sorkin is great.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm guessing people who faint at movie premiers do so because they've never seen a moving picture before.

Trains are scary.

edit: welcome to the magic hate ball unsolicited opinion power hour

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Blackhat is better than Heat, but worse than all of Mann's other post Heat movies except Ali.

Extra spicy hot take: Blackhat is better than Heat, but not as good as Ali.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So there's Groundhog Day for Groundhog Day and Die Hard for Christmas. What movies take place during the Superbowl?

All I can think of is Ace Ventura.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Extra spicy hot take: Blackhat is better than Heat, but not as good as Ali.

Yowza! Ali is crippled by Smiths mostly very good Ali impersonation, which lacks the threatening and disdainful arrogance that had him, uh, BACK AND SCARIN WHITE FOLKS you might say. Still Good though.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Aaron Sorkin is great.

Trains are scary.

edit: welcome to the magic hate ball unsolicited opinion power hour

That post you made about the vintage orb is funnier and more interesting than everything Aaron Sorkin has ever written, combined.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I haven't seen Blackhat and it's been forever since I saw Heat, but BAZOINGA, Ali is loving great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fun fact, Aaron Sorkin once held me when I was an infant. I don't think he could do that today.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Aaron Sorkin both sucks and has never written a bad movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

So there's Groundhog Day for Groundhog Day and Die Hard for Christmas. What movies take place during the Superbowl?

I don't remember if they actually go to the Superbowl, but the B-plot of Heaven Can Wait is buying the lazy lovely St. Louis Rams and training them to be good at football.

That's a weird loving movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lobok posted:

I don't think it's the Superbowl but The Last Boy Scout maybe.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Black Sunday and Two Minute Warning.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

Please

EDIT: Ah I hadn't seen that you'd already posted it and removed it, I was assuming you were gonna like email links to individual folks. My apologies!

Sent.

If anyone else wants to see it let me knowwwwwww.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 5, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DeimosRising posted:

That post you made about the vintage orb is funnier and more interesting than everything Aaron Sorkin has ever written, combined.

I'm glad the vintage orb lives on.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

wyoming posted:

The two Gremlins movies are cinematic masterpieces.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The President's Day thing in Gremlins 2 is like one of the funniest things I've seen in a movie. Like just the fact they're pretty much making fun of that moment from the first one and the fact that the characters just seem to be half heartedly putting up with her telling this horrible story, almost like it's the sort of thing that happens all the time.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The fire alarm gag is one of my favorite things in any piece of media, ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Aaron Sorkin both sucks and has never written a bad movie.

Every time I see someone say this I'm surprised at people going to bat for corny-rear end A Few Good Men

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Every time I see someone say this I'm surprised at people going to bat for corny-rear end A Few Good Men

It's definitely corny but I wouldn't say it's bad. Plus I think Malice is underrated so they even each other out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LesterGroans posted:

It's definitely corny but I wouldn't say it's bad. Plus I think Malice is underrated so they even each other out.

I think it's super corny but the performances in it save it from being a bad movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Ring is a fun campfire movie that holds up

Much like Halloween 3.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

corn in the bible posted:

Actually Samara was an angry ghost hth

wyoming posted:

Right, the point is in the dialectical synthesis of these two statements.

"The ghost is real" -> ghosts don't actually exist -> the ghost is real despite not actually existing (i.e. Samara exists insofar as credulous teens and single moms believe in her, hence the necessity of the tape-sharing ritual).

The flaw in It Follows (and its inspiration, A Nightmare On Elm Street) is that you only really get the first part - the bullshit - shown from the point of view of the kids. So you end up with people mostly just discussing the mechanics of the ritual and then just asserting that the real ghost simply 'represents' something outside the text (STDs or whatever). This gets things backwards and misses the true horror, providing a mundane explanation for the horrifying ghost story instead of a horrifying explanation for the mundane ghost story.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only time this job ever really hits me emotionally is when there's a kid who's dying and I can tell the guardians aren't taking it well. Everything else I can handle, but seeing that dissonance between "this is happening" and "this can't be happening" is so rough. Sometimes they get better, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Off-topic, do you prefer your current avi, or would you like the Richard Spencer gif along with this quote: "In case this was ever unclear: punching Nazis is extremely good and I fully endorse the practice." I'm not saying I'd do it, just asking 'cause it gives me chuckles.

• Locked thread