Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Coolguye posted:

they're currently screwing around with dudes between me and them so it sounds like this will be done for me to some extent. they awoke really really early this game so i guess my best bet is to start a war of liberation and try to force a favorable peace while i've got a chance of doing something

One other thing to try - their transports will follow their doomstacks. So if you time it just right and they are focusing on you, you can ambush their transport stack right after their doomstack jumps out of a system.

How much that will slow them down, I'm in the process of finding out, but the AI has seemed slow to build transports in my experience so I'm hopeful they'll just bomb ineffectually after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Slaves give an OK bonus to food and mineral production, but it comes at a pretty large happiness penalty for them and for everyone else on the planet (unless you're specifically collectivist/xenophobe), and they're completely useless at power/science production.

So yes, slaves are a shittier workforce in this game every single time, barring those specific traits and some micromanagement. The penalties they give are much higher than the bonuses.

Likewise, like in my RPG example, going above "100%" happiness should do what exactly? Right now, going below reduces your pop's production (and in extreme cases causes other issues), going above increases it. This is good, both because it is intuitive, and because otherwise there'd be no point in building happiness buildings on a bunch of planets at all, since your guys are "happy enough".

It's a good mechanic and it should stay. If there's extra bonuses on top of extreme happiness (like there is with extreme unrest) that's fine too though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Splicer posted:

Why is it super dumb?

Because its boring. It does nothing to actually change the way you play or approach the game as a result.

Also the bonus is minimal after you consider the resources and opportunity costs of achieving it.

A diplomacy bonus would be more exciting than yet another minimal resource bonus for which you need to build a complex spreadsheet to figure out if its even a bonus at all

As a placeholder its better than nothing but woth the rework implied by the next update I am hoping they replace it with something a lot more fun

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 5, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda wish I could tell a sector to prioritize both energy and research instead of just one of them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Split it into two sectors, tell one to prioritise research, the other power? :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Truga posted:

Yeah you're right, that's why all the world superpowers run on slaves, because slaves are more productive

Until relatively historically recently, this is not an inaccurate statement.

eta: If we want to argue from history, I'd say that happiness should be basically irrelevant to slave productivity, but extremely relevant to how many resources you feel the need to devote to building armies to prevent/quell uprisings.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Anticheese posted:

Question for the devs: Can we please get the ability to rename factions?

Only if this can trigger an event where the faction finds out what the leaders refer to them as and holds demonstrations about the leader's double-faced speak.

I'm digging all these planned unity additions.

I'm not sure why anyone would really love paradise domes as a pacifist though; they're basically needed to cancel out the unhappiness from being in the 'unrestricted wars' policy 24/7. Also, pacifist empires are just frustrating to play as due to the happiness penalties for being at war (because the only way to "win" is to war everything to death).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Until there's a way to meaningfully interact with other empires beyond warring with them, the game cannot really be played in a pacifist manner.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Half-wit posted:

Only if this can trigger an event where the faction finds out what the leaders refer to them as and holds demonstrations about the leader's double-faced speak.

Instant and irreconcilable civil war should erupt if you every include the word "Individualist" or "Collectivist" in your designation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Until there's a way to meaningfully interact with other empires beyond warring with them, the game cannot really be played in a pacifist manner.

Based on the Wiz comment that players dont like problems with counters that arent shooty laser based, combined with him not liking victories that arent military based, combined with him not liking the idea of victory being applied in a non zero sum way... I do have a lot of hope for this game, but satisfying pacifist themed gameplay is definitely not among them. I sort of get the feeling that Wiz basically doesnt believe players who like non military solutions and goals exist, or least in numbers significant enough to try and cater to. (I base this on him actually questoning whether people who like economic and tech victories in other games are real)

Even if he was convinced they were worth appealing too I am not sure he grasps the mindset well enough to design as well for it as he does for the rest, but hey, I would love to be pleasantly surprised here!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2017

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Mister Adequate posted:

Instant and irreconcilable civil war should erupt if you every include the word "Individualist" or "Collectivist" in your designation.

This would be the funniest easter egg ever.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

For economic and tech victories, it's tough because the map you play on is a territory map. What it tracks is military strength and expansion, not economic or technological success. So it's hard to see who else is performing well and how.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

For economic and tech victories, it's tough because the map you play on is a territory map. What it tracks is military strength and expansion, not economic or technological success. So it's hard to see who else is performing well and how.

If he was open to considering non exclusive victories as victories on par with he current military victories (which are basically just an arbitrary congrats you won popup) then that would be completely irrelevant. :V

Its the specific combination of different things rather than any specific one of them

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

GlyphGryph posted:

A diplomacy bonus would be more exciting than yet another minimal resource bonus for which you need to build a complex spreadsheet to figure out if its even a bonus at all

I think you might legit be happier playing other games. Maybe some European board games?

I'm not trying to be condescending, or tell you to get the gently caress out of my precious thread, either. If you're almost entirely concerned about which options have the best mechanical benefit and you don't care about the flavor at all, this might not be the game for you. There's certainly room for both philosophies in this game, and Paradox tries to cater to both sides of the equation (which is cool and good, good job guys), but from this comment in specific and your comments on the subject in general, it truly seems like you don't see someone just wanting to be in charge of a Happy Empire instead of a Sad Empire as a legitimate reason to take the option. Even if everyone agreed that empire happiness was a straight-up suboptimal option, which they don't, as long as it's close enough it's fine.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 6, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
drat, fallen empires do not gently caress around.

Militant Isolationists: "decolonize our border systems right now you little poo poo"
Me, leading an empire of repugnant and extremely adaptive cockroach people: "up yours lol"

:gonk:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

GlyphGryph posted:

this is as untrue as it is seemingly irrelevant
While game mechanics don't have to perfectly mirror real life, it's a pretty simple psychological concept that the happier someone is, the more productive they are likely to be at their job.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

John Lee posted:

If you're almost entirely concerned about which options have the best mechanical benefit and you don't care about the flavor at all, this might not be the game for you.

I'm not trying to be condescending, or tell you to get the gently caress out of my precious thread, but if this is how you've been reading my posts, you haven't understood any of them, ever, since literally the most common thing I've suggested as better rewards than number twiddling is more unique events and flavour stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Like I specifically just finished explaining how whether or not the benefit is powerful has nothing to do with whether i think it would be good. With an explicit example of how a powerful benefit would be lovely even though it was strong, because what I really want is mechanics that supporting engaging, interesting, flavourful interaction with those elements over tweaking a few numbers.

I am someone who literally always picks Xenophile or Xenophobe because I love their respective flavour texts for so many events. I have lost every multiplayer game I've played (at least as the game defines winning and losing) and badly because I stick to my gimmick through thick and thin. "Best mechanical benefit" is absolutely the furthest thing from my mind, and the current happiness mechanic doesn't even offer that - it certainly doesn't offer any rewards that someone playing a happiness empire because they want their people to genuinely be happy would care about. And that's what I would love them to implement.

Happiness based events. Faction stuff that is influenced in and based on happiness. Getting treated differently by other Empires, having aliens breaking down your doors to get in (not for the mechanical benefit, either, but just because it would make me happy to know that my people are so happy everyone else wants a piece of it). I don't want happiness to be powerful, I want it to be engaging. Completely different.

I don't know how you got what you wrote from my posts, but I think you completely missed my point.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 6, 2017

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

drat, fallen empires do not gently caress around.

Militant Isolationists: "decolonize our border systems right now you little poo poo"
Me, leading an empire of repugnant and extremely adaptive cockroach people: "up yours lol"

:gonk:

The best part is when the 'border systems' include most of your core worlds, including your home planet

Fun times

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

While game mechanics don't have to perfectly mirror real life, it's a pretty simple psychological concept that the happier someone is, the more productive they are likely to be at their job.
No? The more unhappy and apathetic they are they less likely they are to do a good job the opposite is not true, in of itself, because happiness doesn't have to have poo poo to do with work or your work ethic.

John Lee posted:

I think you might legit be happier playing other games. Maybe some European board games?

I'm not trying to be condescending, or tell you to get the gently caress out of my precious thread, either. If you're almost entirely concerned about which options have the best mechanical benefit and you don't care about the flavor at all, this might not be the game for you. There's certainly room for both philosophies in this game, and Paradox tries to cater to both sides of the equation (which is cool and good, good job guys), but from this comment in specific and your comments on the subject in general, it truly seems like you don't see why someone just wanting to be in charge of a Happy Empire instead of a Sad Empire as a legitimate reason to take the option. Even if everyone agreed that empire happiness was a straight-up suboptimal option, which they don't, as long as it's close enough it's fine.
Christ this post. If Stellaris wants to be a 4X and not just EU in space (or in this case inferior to EU, in space) then it needs to shape the gently caress up. GG has made a buncha fairly valid critical points not only about how happiness is just there but pacifism and the diplomacy system in general is gimped as gently caress in Stellaris, which is perfectly understandable because it is at its core a wargame trying to be something more.

It succeeds in some parts and fails abysmally in others. Happiness is a policies, very few buildings and habitability working together for a mechanic you'd be forgiven for not even noticing unless you happen to be one of the few unduly hosed over by it (Spiritualists and Pacifists doing robots or war or freedom lovers doing slavery)

The rest of the time its a tepid system you don't much notice

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Edit: Nevermind.

No one has submitted in a while, so I'm gonna focus on putting together that species pack now instead of arguing about poo poo.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 6, 2017

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not trying to be condescending, or tell you to get the gently caress out of my precious thread, but if this is how you've been reading my posts, you haven't understood any of them, ever, since literally the most common thing I've suggested as better rewards than number twiddling is more unique events and flavour stuff.

No need to be snide about it. My claims of legitimacy were not a double-blind sarcastic snipe. And i was just judging your posts entirely based on the past two pages; I don't check this thread often and I don't know you, so I couldn't judge based on your posting history here or anything.

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't know how you got what you wrote from my posts, but I think you completely missed my point.

This is entirely possible.

GlyphGryph posted:

Happiness based events. Faction stuff that is influenced in and based on happiness. Getting treated differently by other Empires, having aliens breaking down your doors to get in (not for the mechanical benefit, either, but just because it would make me happy to know that my people are so happy everyone else wants a piece of it). I don't want happiness to be powerful, I want it to be engaging. Completely different.

See, I'm totally behind you here. I'd love for more stuff like this. I apologize if I got on your nerves, and I wasn't implying that you were a lovely person or a hypocrite or anything. I decided to skim through and saw posts like this:

GlyphGryph posted:

Third, yeah a 20% increase in production from a feature you basically have to shape your whole empire around to achieve actually is super lovely and we arent even getting that

GlyphGryph posted:

It actually does a real lovely job at making happiness useful and by its very nature as like a fourth order widespread benefit it is super hard to balance too.

GlyphGryph posted:

Because its boring. It does nothing to actually change the way you play or approach the game as a result.
. . .

And I'm sure you can see why this certainly makes it SOUND like you're advocating entirely around mechanical benefits. If you still disagree, then I suppose that's how it is, but there's no ill will coming from my end.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
lol didn't wiz even say they were loathe to show these things because of this exact response from theorycrafters

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I honestly don't think happiness needs to be some majorly deep, detailed and fidelitous mechanic. Less is bad, more is better works fine enough and has done so for most 4x games. Not every feature needs to be immersive or engrossing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Goon Species Pack v1.0

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858191485

Have species of your own you want to see added to it? Let me know!

Note: Goon species are set to spawn "ALWAYS". So disable this mod if you don't want to see them around constantly I guess? Open to changing that.

Also: Feel free to submit Fallen Empire flavoured empires as well. I'll also try to include any custom behaviours you might want or anything crazy like that.

Edit: As always, if you want to submit, include the words SPECIES SUBMISSION in your post, since that's what I search the thread for.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 6, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

E: Sorry, drunk and posted in wrong thread.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 6, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GlyphGryph posted:

Goon Species Pack v1.0

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858191485

Have species of your own you want to see added to it? Let me know!

Note: Goon species are set to spawn "ALWAYS". So disable this mod if you don't want to see them around constantly I guess? Open to changing that.

Also: Feel free to submit Fallen Empire flavoured empires as well. I'll also try to include any custom behaviours you might want or anything crazy like that.

How many of the goon species are space geckos?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can't remember if I contributed...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was making mine but then stuff happened and I didn't. May still finish them up eventually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Want to play stellaris but don't not to play 1.5. Please send help.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Roobanguy posted:

don't.

or if you have to, shoot and scoot tactics work relatively well the last time i had the ae event. arm yourself with the longest range weapons you can and blast them, then retreat when they get close. rinse and repeat because ae's actually have a very hard time replenishing their fleets, because that massive spawn only happens once.

i ended up killing three 150k in fleet strength with about 90k (ish, i was replenishing strength quickly) of mine, things got easier as i remembered how they fight and i got a sniff of what tactics they were using. this was basically correct on all facings.

sum up:

their defenses are insanely strong on both facings (~90% armor and absolute shitloads of shields) so strike craft are your best pound for pound attack. it also helps that strike craft have essentially infinite range in combat. the AI seems to understand this and will prioritize strike craft-bearing ships. this basically means that if you're slotting bombers into your cruisers, your cruisers are going to get pounded. this is actually ideal because cruisers can mount point defense and are big enough to carry some very heavy shielding. FEs deploy lots of strike craft, a lot of missiles, and tons of energy weapons. so a hangar core cruiser with point defense (preferably flak guns, but i made do with level 2 PD) and heavy shields will be a lot more trouble than they are worth. you can then exploit the relative lack of focus on your lighter ships by loading up your corvettes with plasma blasts or the best lasers you can find, and your destroyers with broadside modules and kinetics (though do not forget PD on them too). these smaller ships are then able to actually swarm and inflict some serious bloody noses since they're not the ones being focused down for once. battleships should field either arc emitters or kinetic artillery and also mount a hangar core to deploy more strike craft and to be able to defend themselves with PD.

hit and run tactics are perfectly viable and work well as long as you are able to support the spending. AEs do replace their fleets but they have difficulty keeping up with player fleet capacity if you're blowing 750-1000 minerals a month on fleet. if you can blast a titan you've basically won because those motherfuckers account for 13k fleet strength all by themselves.

i demanded liberation of their capitol region and a strategic second region that caused their empire to split in half. without their capitol they seem to be having a VERY hard time replenishing fleet because our truce just ended and they are still evaluating as Pathetic to me in terms of fleet strength (i've only built up to about 115k in the interim years). at this point it is basically time to stomp them again in a war, liberate another portion of their empire, and get ready to vassalize the first one that i had split off. oh i also got psi jump drive from the debris, which owned like crazy.

also, unrelated, but i hereby rescind most of my complaints about terraforming. it's very expensive in terms of energy, yes, but if you are at all thoughtful about how you're marshaling your resources you will generally have excess energy, particularly on large planets the energy expenditure is fairly well balanced by the fact that when you terraform, you instantly clear all tile blockers. i think the only thing i would change is that terraforming with the strategic resources should reduce both energy AND TIME expenditure, because it still takes a god drat dog's age.

e: oh and map update

the protectorate protects

i am not sure wtf is up with the Star League here actually. i pushed them back purely through border pressure, i still have not fought them at all. power of terraforming i guess; there were a lot of marginal worlds near our border, so after i terraformed and colonized them it pushed them back and got me a couple nice mining systems. the other micropowers over there i'm not sure about, they have been pretty peaceful but it looks like their empire is cracking up. it's possible the mathin hierarchy stomped them a time or two and i just missed it i guess, but i've generally been pretty alert as far as wars go since the first FE woke up (he's the dark blue on the galactic south).

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

lol didn't wiz even say they were loathe to show these things because of this exact response from theorycrafters

Never fails.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wiz posted:

Never fails.

Hey don't mean to bug you but i'm gonna break these two things out of my bigass post and use actual shift keys and poo poo because I feel it's pretty important.

Is it possible to have a setting for sectors that basically tells them "for the love of gently caress do not let the Empire run in the red on energy"? As the game gets big the player is increasingly reliant on sectors for economy, and dependent on migration patterns and what my governor has had for breakfast that day my taxes can fluctuate by a couple hundred energy a month. This is a really rude surprise when i'm running at +40 and mount a major naval campaign, only for it to go to -250 the day after my fleet enters the wormhole. I've seen this happen a couple of times now. Aggressive terraforming has meant that i'm kind of in a spot where my planets never quite fill up, and for whatever reason my pops are migrating a lot in my game. There's been a handful of times when 2-3 pops move around on about a dozen worlds in a single month and it leaves a lot of power hubs and power plants unstaffed. It wouldn't be a gigantic problem if i could move pops around and basically tell them to short science in favor of staffing the power plants but with 50+ colonies under my sector's control it's just not feasible for me to revoke, micromanage, and repatriate on that level.

Also, I've found...not sure it's quite a bug, but it's definitely a quirk that might gently caress my achievement run. I used gene engineering to add Strong and Rapid Breeders to my species, and went 'select all' on the pops to modify screen. This ended up being a mammoth project (I think it was like 600-700 months) but I did it anyway because I was really sick of the lack of population problem, and to give me the edge I wanted in ground combat.

The humans that were born while that gene tailoring process continued were not included in the project, which I didn't notice until much later. Now I have ~760 pops that are enhanced, but another 230 that are not. And the unenhanced humans are still considered my founding species.

I'm currently undertaking a followup project to enhance the rest of my race. If I enhance all the humans, will they be subsumed properly and become my founding race?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 6, 2017

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Coolguye posted:

This is a really rude surprise when i'm running at +40 and mount a major naval campaign, only for it to go to -250 the day after my fleet enters the wormhole.

Are you thinking about the maintenance reduction your fleet gets when they're sitting in a starport? The savings when at port can be quite significant late-game. And you can order your sectors to focus on energy if you're running deficits.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Strabo4 posted:

Are you thinking about the maintenance reduction your fleet gets when they're sitting in a starport? The savings when at port can be quite significant late-game. And you can order your sectors to focus on energy if you're running deficits.

Nope this is not it, I always soft launch my fleets beforehand to make sure I can support them out of port. This is sitting at the wormholes for a couple of months, a-ok, and then whoops collections went from 930 to 560 overnight because a ton of people moved, sorry about that.

And this is with me telling them to focus on energy (since that is what I rely on my planets for primarily and my humans are Thrifty).

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 6, 2017

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I've had some games where something has happened to drop me an extra 200 or whatever energy before. Never quite nailed it down, but I think it might have been a happiness issue, though it could have been something with migrating pops as well. This is outside of the increased cost when fleets are out of port.

Terraforming feels like it is balanced around having at least 1 of the special resources for it. With both resources the cost feels completely fine, though the 10 year timer seems excessive. Honestly I'd rather drop the special resources and get a supplementary technology that reduces cost and time instead.

Gene modding is a perfect "great in theory and staple of the genre" that is implemented in a terrible and wasteful fashion. The best use of it is really to take your primary specials and adapt them to other climates to get around having to take a bunch of time terraforming a planet. You can either do every climate or one per biome, but either way the time to gene mod 1 pop is insignificant. On the other hand, the time to gene mod an entire race you have is stupid, combined with the fact that you also suspend your research for the duration as well makes it a waste.

If you want to be fiddly and micro-managing you could gene mod each pop on a planet to be optimal for the tile they're working. The cost is still stupid high but being able to basically pause your project and have partial benefits would give that a place in a situation where you can't really grow your empire right at the moment in other ways (though you need to turn migration off).

Compare that to other games (moo2 is actually a great example here), where you tend to be able to get impactful or interesting additions to your race as part of the research itself. In stellaris you get the ability to pay the research cost at least once more to get at most a marginal benefit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

Ah, your original posts read as the bonuses being actively detrimental and should be removed, rather than being insufficiently interesting and should be added too. All the interesting stuff happens with low happiness (factions getting pissy etc), the bonus for extra happiness is just so that the overflow isn't completely wasted. All of your post would be cool additions.

GlyphGryph posted:

Based on the Wiz comment that players dont like problems with counters that arent shooty laser based, combined with him not liking victories that arent military based, combined with him not liking the idea of victory being applied in a non zero sum way... I do have a lot of hope for this game, but satisfying pacifist themed gameplay is definitely not among them. I sort of get the feeling that Wiz basically doesnt believe players who like non military solutions and goals exist, or least in numbers significant enough to try and cater to. (I base this on him actually questoning whether people who like economic and tech victories in other games are real)

Even if he was convinced they were worth appealing too I am not sure he grasps the mindset well enough to design as well for it as he does for the rest, but hey, I would love to be pleasantly surprised here!
Yeah, I've been most enjoying this game as a procedurally generated Space Empire RPG, which is why it starts to drag at the end where it becomes a not very engaging wargame. I was hoping for better endgame RPG options where I win because I am the best at government, but I get the impression best at government is only going to be a game winner in the sense that it's a potential route to being best at wargame.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harmony is nice and all but I think I still want to play super space capitalists with Expansion + Prosperity to get really big and then be filthy rich. All that stuff looks right up my alley. Maybe dip into Harmony if ethics divergence is a pain but I was actually looking forward to interacting with factions and trying to balance that stuff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
For those who want to get along with people outside their empire, rather than within it, Diplomacy is an option:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828539904300875776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
drat I was hoping someone would get my Zardoz reference.

• Locked thread