Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm 100% sure this game will be garbage.

Andromeda is going to reunite the Mass Effect fanbase by provoking all of us to begrudgingly accept the artistic brilliance of ME3 in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

exquisite tea posted:

Andromeda is going to reunite the Mass Effect fanbase by provoking all of us to begrudgingly accept the artistic brilliance of ME3 in hindsight.

The future is bleak.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

We should be praying for the success of Andromeda, for we saw the throne of ME3, and it was empty.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

AriadneThread posted:

right after half life 3

Or at least when its revealed that China loved Jade Empire.

I can see this game mostly being mediocre outside of possibly really Horizon Zero levels of Uncanny Valley facial animations. Decent space wizard combat and shoot mans, but Jesus Christ, don't loving interact with the humans. I'm taking aliens around just to make sure I don't barf during every cut-scene.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Crabtree posted:

Or at least when its revealed that China loved Jade Empire.

I can see this game mostly being mediocre outside of possibly really Horizon Zero levels of Uncanny Valley facial animations. Decent space wizard combat and shoot mans, but Jesus Christ, don't loving interact with the humans. I'm taking aliens around just to make sure I don't barf during every cut-scene.

what's this about horizon zero dawn?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

homullus posted:

We should be praying for the success of Andromeda, for we saw the throne of ME3, and it was empty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AriadneThread posted:

Someone put out a cutscene with some really janky facial animation + bad voice acting.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is that the game with the robot dinosaurs cause that'll go the way of Destiny for me in that I'll buy the art books and never play the game

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched a cool clip online where they jumped on a giant robot brontosaurus thing and rode around on its head, it looked cool but tbh Breath of the Wild is all the open world game I need for the next n months

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a wonderful moment in DA 2 where male Hawke is cornered into either reciprocating Anders' flirtation or shutting him down, which accrues Rivalry points.

Boy did that piss some people off in the very best way.

You reject himct and he considers you a rival. The Chantry rejects apostates and he commits 9/11. Fits his character.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jeza posted:

You can trip over yourself into romantic relations with pretty much the whole cast so probably. One time I had to backpedal furiously because I selected a seemingly innocuous chat wheel option with Jacob and suddenly I was one step from having unstoppable steamy sex right then and there.

Jacob's pretty much the only romance in 2 that you can stumble into. And it's much weirder than the similar thing with Liara, since for Liara, it's her going "She talked to me! Twice! It must be love!", and if you aren't interested, Shepard has to actively shut it down. Meanwhile, for Jacob, it's Shepard who's setting up the minefield. She likes those abs, and unless you make your dialog choices very carefully, she's going to start hitting on him. Relentlessly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sexual harassment is totally paragon.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Archon is Greek and means ruler, it's not an invention of Halo.

Villains in Halo go by titles rather than actual names. Something the Halo writer has brought over to mass effect before he left. Everyone in halo is named like the prophet, the arbiter, the didact, etc.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Villains in Halo go by titles rather than actual names. Something the Halo writer has brought over to mass effect before he left. Everyone in halo is named like the prophet, the arbiter, the didact, etc.

It's a thing Bungie has done for years. Even with the Myth series they had The Fallen Lords - the Deceiver, the Watcher, the Leveler, etc. But Halo has kind of turned it into a big idiot trope thing where you're expected to take these characters seriously because they are 'the [noun]'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AngryBooch posted:

my biggest issue with bungie and i guess now 343 Industries is that they build up all this lore for their games in books and comics and back story and do loving NOTHING with it. it was always bad with bungie but 343 hosed it up even worse. they added all this poo poo and then do nothing with it. all the "chief going rogue" and bad poo poo happening and the covenant ISIS growing, ends up being a big blood filled fart of nothing when 5 happens.

exquisite tea posted:

i really hope not. :( I want a good bioware game again drat it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my biggest issue with bungie and i guess now 343 Industries is that they build up all this lore for their games in books and comics and back story and do loving NOTHING with it. it was always bad with bungie but 343 hosed it up even worse. they added all this poo poo and then do nothing with it. all the "chief going rogue" and bad poo poo happening and the covenant ISIS growing, ends up being a big blood filled fart of nothing when 5 happens.

halo 5 is one of the worst big release games in recent memory. it's up there with mankind divided.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

halo 5 is one of the worst big release games in recent memory. it's up there with mankind divided.

true. i never finished either though i liked what i played of MD i am just waiting for the inevitable "game of the year" edition. 5 was poo poo. halo died after reach(which was my favorite) the issue i have is for all the lore "depth", they never do anything with it. its always fighting lovely unsatisfying robots or something like that. at least gears series tried to do different things, to bad about 4 but still.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. i never finished either though i liked what i played of MD i am just waiting for the inevitable "game of the year" edition. 5 was poo poo. halo died after reach(which was my favorite) the issue i have is for all the lore "depth", they never do anything with it. its always fighting lovely unsatisfying robots or something like that. at least gears series tried to do different things, to bad about 4 but still.

4 was a decent send off for the chief and cortana coupled with a terrible forerunner plot. i actually think halo 4 was a fantastic ending for the chief's story, with him, the old warhorse who is mocked and distrusted by the new establishment, reclaiming some of his humanity - and, who knows, maybe cortana is out there somewhere?

then halo 5 is just... yeah. you think it's going to be this cool story about the chief going rogue because the UNSC were jerks to him and he's going to try and find the one person who was ever kind to him, and then... ugh. the stuff they did to cortana's character just so they could do a 'lol robot revolution' plotline!

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 6, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Milky Moor posted:

It's a thing Bungie has done for years. Even with the Myth series they had The Fallen Lords - the Deceiver, the Watcher, the Leveler, etc. But Halo has kind of turned it into a big idiot trope thing where you're expected to take these characters seriously because they are 'the [noun]'.

Black Company did it fairly well and I will pretend that the Archon is an expy of the Lady instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

4 was a decent send off for the chief and cortana coupled with a terrible forerunner plot. i actually think halo 4 was a fantastic ending for the chief's story, with him, the old warhorse who is mocked and distrusted by the new establishment, reclaiming some of his humanity - and, who knows, maybe cortana is out there somewhere?

then halo 5 is just... yeah. you think it's going to be this cool story about the chief going rogue because the UNSC were jerks to him and he's going to try and find the one person who was ever kind to him, and then... ugh. the stuff they did to cortana's character just so they could do a 'lol robot revolution' plotline!

he doesnt even really go rogue, he basically just goes awole for a day.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

AriadneThread posted:

Something that gives Marshmallow Creep's av a run for its money.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

o-oh....
i guess i can discount that game from my pro/con internal debate over getting a ps4 then

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Been playing through ME3 again and all the environmental and design graphics are still great but the motherfucking humans are so ugly

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Holy poo poo, that's loving terrible.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

drat i was really thinking of buying that game

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every time I see a video like that I can't help but think of some video uploaded a while ago showing how bad the combat of Wolfenstein The New Order but was actually just someone being deliberately bad at it.

Of course I don't pre-order games so I'm safe no matter what the outcome.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Video game, more like video lame

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"oscar nominated" :shepface:

BRB, going to oscar nominate the nearest recently flushed public toilet.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Looks like any other stiff and janky RPG where deadeyed characters stiffly "emote" to eachother

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tbh the level of facial emotion displayed in that animation is probably the upper limit of what the average rpg enthusiast can detect in other humans

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Hedrigall posted:

Tbh the level of facial emotion displayed in that animation is probably the upper limit of what the average rpg enthusiast can detect in other humans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFIjtbE9uQ

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Hedrigall posted:

I'll have you know I can consistently identify and properly react to no less than 3 emotions so long as they are accompanied by phrases like "I'm so mad at you right now," and "I thought I could trust you."

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm having issues with ME1, specifically with healing. At the very beginning there were plenty of medigels to loot, but now that I got to the Citadel, I ran into the assassin on the way to talk to that drunken sec guy about Garrus or something like that. I'm almost dead and I'm not sure either how to easily get more medigels or heal myself some other way. Is this a thing that just becomes easier, sort of how like in Witcher 3 you get your rear end kicked when you first go into Velen, but then it smooths out a bit?

e: also the game doesn't support a controller which sucks. Sometimes I like to lean back in my chair and relax.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
You can refill your medigel anytime for free either in the Normandy med bay or the clinic in the wards on the Citadel.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm having issues with ME1, specifically with healing. At the very beginning there were plenty of medigels to loot, but now that I got to the Citadel, I ran into the assassin on the way to talk to that drunken sec guy about Garrus or something like that. I'm almost dead and I'm not sure either how to easily get more medigels or heal myself some other way. Is this a thing that just becomes easier, sort of how like in Witcher 3 you get your rear end kicked when you first go into Velen, but then it smooths out a bit?

e: also the game doesn't support a controller which sucks. Sometimes I like to lean back in my chair and relax.

None of the Mass Effect games have controller support, you need to mod them for that.

Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3

They all swap out the PC interface for the console interface, so make sure you set you graphics setting fist because those menus don't exist once you install the mods. Also the interface in ME1 gets even worse since they actually improved the awful menus for the PC release.

Looks like Andromeda will be the first ME game that actually has controller support.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Milky Moor posted:

4 was sooo much worse than 5. 5 may have been super dumb, but at least I knew what was going on. 4 had all the story in tie in novels and locked away behind terminals. I had to look them up on youtube to figure out who all these new characters were and why I should care. The Warden fights in 5 were kinda fun too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I just started ME again and besides the free dispensers mentioned above, enemies frequently drop medi-gel too. Make sure to check all vendors you come across for "medigel upgrade" (also: "grenade upgrade") so you can store up to 10 of them before you go into a mission expecting combat.

Difficulty in ME is largely in encounter design (eg. krogans rushing you in close quarters), but yeah, it does get easier as you get more familiar with the combat and gain more talent points. The way gear works also makes things easier in the longer run - the better tiers of manufacturers/equipment lines don't even drop at lower levels (you get access to a new rank of drops from I through X every 6 levels), so a fresh start sees you run around the citadel with low level, poo poo tier gear only.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I've leveled a bit, got a few health regenerating abilities and armor mods. Just became a specter which looks like those talents are pretty strong as well. The game is starting to really come together, definitely enjoying it now. Also got a new keyboard with a mute shortcut, so that solves the codex narration thing I complained about.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
also, since you're playing on the PC, you can console yourself more talent points and better gear, Cause it's a pain in the rear end getting the Savant and Colossus gear in X otherwise. And there's some cool looking, if not mechanically great, armors that are PC Only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

There was a sign at the women's march after inauguration that said "Trump Pre-Ordered Horizon Zero Dawn."