Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

That is a thing that happened regularly, because the testing range was right outside Vegas. You bet your rear end people had parties to watch those things go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but the Confederacy was bad.

If I were a German retailer in 1945, you bet I’d have a “Hitler shot himself and only had one ball LOL” sale.

We've discovered the final solution to high prices. Our competitors prices are just fascist!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A German lens maker hyped their new product by calling it a final solution to camera lenses.

I wish I had grabbed a screenshot. They pulled that pretty quickly. This was circa 2000 so not everything posted online was saved yet.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think it's more just human nature to seek out dangerous poo poo like that. Don't tell me that, if the public was given notice, hundreds wouldn't flock to watch a nuclear bomb being dropped, having a picnic on a nearby hill side.

Mostly military personnel, but families were invited.

Don't worry, they had protection:

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Feb 6, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would be the first in line to see a nuclear test.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

hyperhazard posted:

I can see Walmart, a few years from now:

"New York's been hit, and we're NUKING our prices!"

I know Ill sleep soundly

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other side of that is that a poo poo load of car crashes happen every day. "Coal plant produces a poo poo load of ash, it goes somewhere" just isn't newsworthy because it always happens. Same with crashes; chances are the only people that care are the ones that have the road they're using/are going to use today blocked off and need a different route. Car crashes are also usually not deadly. I've been in like three of them and none of them have led to injuries.

Plane crashes and nuclear meltdowns don't happen very often so they're big news. People actually see them but car crashes, unless they're massive and kill dozens of people, are common as hell. poo poo happens every day. Plane crashes do not.

How is this "the other side" when you've just backed up the entire argument?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Platystemon posted:

And you'd be last in line in your family tree.

Win/win.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

So on new year's day a couple years ago I made an effortpost about American luxury cars, and pointed out that Buick's strategy of "we used to make such lovely cars that people don't recognize our new ones as they expect Buicks to be lovely" is old, lame, and self defeating. Have they moved on to something else yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx2PMnSzCB4

Also in the time since I made that post Lincoln hired Matthew McConaughey. Although his ads are pretty incomprehensible, I like them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RaspberryCommie posted:

And you'd be the first in your family tree with superpowers.

Win/win.

FTFY

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

sarcastx posted:

So on new year's day a couple years ago I made an effortpost about American luxury cars, and pointed out that Buick's strategy of "we used to make such lovely cars that people don't recognize our new ones as they expect Buicks to be lovely" is old, lame, and self defeating. Have they moved on to something else yet?

Also in the time since I made that post Lincoln hired Matthew McConaughey. Although his ads are pretty incomprehensible, I like them.

The used to be lovely and now we're amazing would work better if they weren't still poo poo cars that still look like a Granddad should be driving it to go golfing. At least when domino's went with that type of ad, they seemed to work on the actual products and service a lot.

Also seriously, McConaughey makes zero sense in those commercials and talks in that creepy almost whisper of a voice he does and somehow they work. It's baffling.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Coal has never had a Chernobyl-level incident that is still loving up everything around it. Granted at this point that's basically impossible thanks to new reactor designs but people remember that.

I mean yeah I guess this is true unless you're not willfully ignorant of the vast amount of devastation caused by the timber burning, mountain top removal and waste dumping in the Appalachians.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I mean yeah I guess this is true unless you're not willfully ignorant of the vast amount of devastation caused by the timber burning, mountain top removal and waste dumping in the Appalachians.

This was already posted last page, but it wasn't made explicitly clear. Forget the ecological damage, that's long term and isn't as impressive as nuclear fallout, some coal disasters even get their own version of an Exclusion Zone
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Well considering this country's historical treatment of the Appalachians...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I thought Lincoln was the new car for the subdued office working dad type , likes to golf on the weekends and never ever has more than 1 scotch because he doesn't want to get too crazy

They look nice and have all the gizmos , but I don't think they'll ever have the luxury appeal of a mercedes , BMW, audi etc. Besides everytime you pull up you'll have half a dozen people looking at their phone wondering if you're their Uber

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

I thought Lincoln was the new car for the subdued office working dad type , likes to golf on the weekends and never ever has more than 1 scotch because he doesn't want to get too crazy

They look nice and have all the gizmos , but I don't think they'll ever have the luxury appeal of a mercedes , BMW, audi etc. Besides everytime you pull up you'll have half a dozen people looking at their phone wondering if you're their Uber

Lincoln has finally got their own bespoke car, on a totally new platform shared with no other Ford. It looks pretty nice, it's identifiable as a Lincoln and doesn't look much like anything else in the market space.
and if they'd done this as an SUV rather than a sedan, people might consider buying it in 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sarcastx posted:

It's not that Buicks were lovely cars, it's that they were old people cars. Buicks are incapable of being any more or less lovely than Chevys since they all use the same platforms and components. They just look stodgier, have nicer interiors/technology, and appeal to old people and the Chinese.

Every luxury car company is trying to replicate Audi's feat where they made an also-ran into a cool commodity again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

Also seriously, McConaughey makes zero sense in those commercials and talks in that creepy almost whisper of a voice he does and somehow they work. It's baffling.

They came out right after his beloved role as an alcoholic nihilist who spoke in confusing metaphors so they just cleaned that character up a little and made him sell cars.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Platystemon posted:

A couple of weeks ago, a long dormant breeder reactor near me opened its doors to the public for the first time in forty years and offered tours. There was no way I was missing out on that. The place was supposed to be open from 1pm to 3pm. I got there at 1pm on the dot and was about the two hundredth person in line. Over six hundred people eventually showed up for the tour.

So yes, people will show up in droves for the chance to encounter some rads!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's a place north of me where they'd run real live "what will nuclear radiation due to living things" in the forest.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/georgia-nuclear-aircraft-laboratory

An unshielded and exposed reactor is totally not as cool as a mushroom cloud though.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Every luxury car company is trying to replicate Audi's feat where they made an also-ran into a cool commodity again.
This.

Oh also - updating my post from 2 years ago - Cadillac is still making concept cars that they have no intention to build, and can get hosed.

Though I think their design is slipping; this 2016 Escala concept looks OK but is a far cry from the gorgeous CIel from a few years ago

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sarcastx posted:

Lincoln has finally got their own bespoke car, on a totally new platform shared with no other Ford. It looks pretty nice, it's identifiable as a Lincoln and doesn't look much like anything else in the market space.
and if they'd done this as an SUV rather than a sedan, people might consider buying it in 2017

But that bespoke Lincoln just looks like an Audi ?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Looks like a Bentley before you enlarge the picture, then it kinda has shades of Maserati. I like the glass roof though!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sarcastx posted:

This.

Oh also - updating my post from 2 years ago - Cadillac is still making concept cars that they have no intention to build, and can get hosed.

Though I think their design is slipping; this 2016 Escala concept looks OK but is a far cry from the gorgeous CIel from a few years ago

Do you know why they do this? Is it a prestige thing or are they testing out design theories? Maybe they're just keeping engineers employed so no one else hires them?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Do you know why they do this? Is it a prestige thing or are they testing out design theories? Maybe they're just keeping engineers employed so no one else hires them?

I actually asked them at the auto show where they unveiled the breathtaking Elmiraj;

They said something to the effect of "We do actually build the concepts we show! The Escalade was built from a concept!"

I have never rolled my eyes so goddamn hard.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Car marketing chat:

They're brining back the El Camino for at least a few years. I want one very badly but I'm not in a position to buy a new car right now.

http://www.epicspeed.net/brand-new-chevrolet-el-camino-ss-release-date-price-and-specs-for-2016/

Probably dumb marketing move but maybe genius, who knows.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
What if we took an old hot rod, and made it modern!??

And let's make it the colour of poo after a beet-heavy meal! Perfect!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DavidAlltheTime posted:

And let's make it the colour of poo after a beet-heavy meal! Perfect!

Ten(?) year old me thought the prowler looked cool and you'll never take that nostalgic opinion from me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

The Prowler was not a hot rod in any sense of the term. It had a 200ish horsepower V6, with a 4-speed manumatic; it was an *embarassment* to hot rods.

The PT Cruiser was also along the same lines of thought, and they sold a *shitload* of those cars, so not really a dumb move.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Killed By Death posted:

A question about a response to an ad, rather than the ad itself: I remember someone on this forum (if not this thread?) linking to a blog post about the Guinness wheelchair basketball ad; the blog post talked about how nothing in the ad was specific to Guinness, and noted a recent trend of ads where the point seemed to be to make you remember the advert, rather than the specific product. Does anyone know the blog I'm talking about? I'd like to read it again.

Few pages back but I didn't see anyone respond, the blog is The Last Psychiatrist which was a good read back when it was actually updated and I'm pretty sure I posted it and that's all I did at all in this thread

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2013/09/real_men_want_to_drink_guinnes.html

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

The Prowler was not a hot rod in any sense of the term. It had a 200ish horsepower V6, with a 4-speed manumatic; it was an *embarassment* to hot rods.

The PT Cruiser was also along the same lines of thought, and they sold a *shitload* of those cars, so not really a dumb move.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the PT Cruiser a pretty average and inoffensive car despite its unusual appearance and that's why it's everywhere?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Phanatic posted:

I just meant style-wise, I really had no idea what was under the hood.

A GIS for 'Custom Prowler' yields some lovely results.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

With a V8 and a manual, the Prowler would have been awesome.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

garfield hentai posted:

Few pages back but I didn't see anyone respond, the blog is The Last Psychiatrist which was a good read back when it was actually updated and I'm pretty sure I posted it and that's all I did at all in this thread

All of his marketing analyses are loving brilliant. Read his one on that Dove ad from a few years back:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2013/05/dove.html

He really needs to start updating again.

This isn't his, but it's also really good: a critique of that actually pretty vile Audi ad from the Superbowl:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/02/real-message-behind-audis-super-bowl-ad-isnt-exactly-uplifting-one/

quote:

I assume the car is here because the client demanded that the product be shown, if only for three seconds. It’s actually a really lousy thing to do to the ad agency, because not only is a modern Audi absolutely incongruous in this 1982 dreamland, it raises an unpleasant question: Where’s the soapbox car? But even if you assume that the hicks who run this impromptu sanction seized it for technical inspection afterwards — I sure as hell would, it ran from near-last to first, doing that poo poo in Spec Miata will earn you a free engine teardown — it raises yet another, more difficult question: How’d the soapbox derby car get to the race in the first place?

There’s only one logical answer to that question: Super Dad and Super Daughter have a pit crew, some group of dingy, unsung mechanics who bring the car to the race the same way that my main man John Shevel preps and hauls my Neon to races so I can swan up in my 911 at the very last minute, throw on a helmet, and screw up my qualifying session. That’s what this supportive, high-net-worth feminist dad and his genetically superior daughter did: just like any good progressive Eloi, they outsourced the greasy work to the Morlocks. And that’s a shame, because if you ask any competent Soap Box Derby participant, they’ll tell you the race is won in the prep shop, not at the hill.

Well, if you’ve been reading along, I think you’ve figured out what the real message of this Audi advertisement is, but just in case you’ve been napping I will spell it out for you: Money and breeding always beat poor white trash. Those other kids in the race, from the overweight boys to the hick who actually had an American flag helmet to the stripper-glitter girl? They never had a chance. They’re losers and they always will be, just like their loser parents. Audi is the choice of the winners in today’s economy, the smooth talkers who say all the right things in all the right meetings and are promoted up the chain because they are tall (yes, that makes a difference) and handsome without being overly masculine or threatening-looking.

At the end of this race, it’s left to the Morlocks to clean the place up and pack the derby cars into their trashy pickup trucks, while the beautiful people stride off into the California sun, the natural and carefree winners of life’s lottery. Audi is explicitly suggesting that choosing their product will identify you as one of the chosen few. I find it personally offensive. As an owner of one of the first 2009-model-year Audi S5s to set tire on American soil, yet also as an ugly, ill-favored child who endured a scrappy Midwestern upbringing, I find it much easier to identify with the angry-faced fat kids in their home-built specials or the boy with the Captain America helmet.

At the end, what does this ad do? It just reinforces our natural biases. Poor is bad, rich is good, and most importantly, rich people deserve their fortune because they are inherently better than the rest of us. You might not like that message, but it’s been selling cars for a very long time. If Audi wanted to try some authentic activism, they might consider showing us an African-American man or woman who overcame a tough upbringing to become an actual customer, or perhaps a differently-abled person who’s achieved enough to buy himself an S8 as a reward for his hard work. But that’s not terribly aspirational, is it? Who wants to be those people? And, by the same token, who wouldn’t want to be that handsome father lifting his beautiful daughter out of someone else’s winning race car?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Feb 7, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Len posted:

Ten(?) year old me thought the prowler looked cool and you'll never take that nostalgic opinion from me.

:same:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't the PT Cruiser a pretty average and inoffensive car despite its unusual appearance and that's why it's everywhere?

quote:

Rapaille's reliability quotient soared after he helped Chrysler with the PT Cruiser, a runaway success. The '30s gangster look gives a "don't-mess-with-me" message so buyers feel safe. But the interior is all about modern-day comforts.

Early on, potential buyers told Rapaille they felt vulnerable at the thought of people peeking inside their car windows. Ultimately, PT Cruiser designers downsized the back window, even though limited visibility translates into less safety.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20040327/entertain/303279969

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If only the Howler came out...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Howler

quote:

The Plymouth Howler is a roadster concept car designed and built by Plymouth. It was first presented at the 1999 SEMA show. It is essentially a redesigned Prowler which addressed some of the complaints and problems existing Prowler owners had.

The lack of cargo space in the Prowler was universally lamented, so the Howler addressed this by elongating and squaring off the back end, creating a moderate sized trunk. The Prowler was only available as a 3.5L V6 that was rated at ~250 hp at its highest. For what was considered to be a modern "hot rod", this was not considered to be enough power, so the Howler was given a 4.7L V8 - which had nearly the same horsepower, but had significantly more torque.[1] The engine is mated to a five speed manual transmission, instead of the Prowler's four speed automatic. This freed up some room in the undercarriage to enlarge the gas tank for the thirstier V8. The Howler also has a removable hardtop instead of the traditional ragtop of the Prowler. The top is manually removed, and can be stored in a compartment behind the seats.

Though the concept was appreciated by most Prowler enthusiasts, the low sales volume of the Prowler and the ultimate demise of the Plymouth nameplate ensured that the Howler was never made into a production vehicle.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some friends who have more money than sense rented a bright yellow 1950's hotrod looking thing for a father/daughter dance.

My wife looks at the picture on Facebook and asked why they were so proud of their PT Cruiser.

PT Cruiser, so unstylish it drags down the style it's trying to ape.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Imagine being the poor intern who had to type that while pretending they're not dying inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

garfield hentai posted:

This reads like Red-Pill pseudo psych.