Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I'll say this. I have some pretty major issues with depression and anxiety, and could see myself someday falling down into a similar hole. In that regard, Spoony has my empathy. In another regard, Spoony's example is why I've set my Patreon to "per video" instead of "per month."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To switch topics for a minute, the new Anime Abandon is out and it's certainly... something... :suspense:.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Leal posted:

Here is the thing with Spoony: Does he actually have any problems other then depression? Every other month he will tweet about seeing a doctor for different illnesses and nothing comes of it. What was the last one, shingles? It feels like he is digging for sympathy every time he comes up with a new health problem, the guy apparently has immunodeficiency.

Does it matter if he has other problems too? And as it stands you're just kind of saying 'BUT WHAT IF HE'S LYING (about other health issues on his twitter)

And then you say 'Oh yeah I don't have a problem with people with a disability as long as they clearly anounce it in public and beg for scraps.'

The point that I keep coming back to is, of ALL the people who can't work due to disability and still get money, what makes this case so special? I think the answer is that it's an online nerd (not a real person with a real job) who has a history of being a punching bag on this forum so hey, why not throw some more poo poo on the pile?

I mean, fair enough if you think that anyone on disability should have their money confiscated and told to either get busy producin' or get busy dyin. At least then you're arguing on principles and not vague half issues like 'But what if he's lying about other medical problems unrelated to the one that we know is severe?' and 'I'd be okay with it aslong as he publicly degraded himself for it'

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Does it matter if he has other problems too? And as it stands you're just kind of saying 'BUT WHAT IF HE'S LYING (about other health issues on his twitter)

And then you say 'Oh yeah I don't have a problem with people with a disability as long as they clearly anounce it in public and beg for scraps.

The point that I keep coming back to is, of ALL the people who can't work due to disability and still get money, what makes this case so special? I think the answer is that it's an online nerd (not a real person with a real job) who has a history of being a punching bag on this forum so hey, why not throw some more poo poo on the pile?

I mean, fair enough if you think that anyone on disability should have their money confiscated and told to either get busy producin' or get busy dyin. At least then you're arguing on principles and not vague half issues like 'But what if he's lying about other medical problems unrelated to the one that we know is severe?' and 'I'd be okay with it aslong as he publicly degraded himself for it'

Because people on actual disability don't collect checks saying "No really, this time I'll go out and do some work." People on disability go through a government program to receive money cause they are literally unable to get actual jobs. They do not put up a store front, tell people they're going to do a thing for money, then sit back and don't deliver and go "Well see I'm disabled so I can't do anything" when their customers want to know what the hell.

Its not degrading himself, its being honest to his fans. There is a world of difference between saying "I need monetary aid" and "I will perform labor for monetary incentive". He isn't on disability, he is conning people. Patreon isn't a government institution or a charity, its a store front. It explicitly says he is making silly videos, and if you donate a dollar you get exclusive posts, which his last post was June 2016, and for 5 bucks you get a thank you in his videos. The last video that had credits was back in May. Thats scamming, he is saying he is going to do things for money and isn't doing it. No amount of mental illnesses will change the fact he is scamming, and intentionally not coming out and admitting he retired while continuing to collect money from hopefuls that want him to create content, that is completely dishonest of him to do.

Really, how much more disgraced can the guy be coming out and being honest then he is taking money and not delivering the content people are paying for?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cosmically_cosmic posted:

And then you say 'Oh yeah I don't have a problem with people with a disability as long as they clearly anounce it in public and beg for scraps.'

The main difference is people actually on real disability actually do have to endure near constant justification and degradation to keep the usually not adequate but better than literally dying in the street money they get. So, yea, maybe the dude with the privilege of making a patreon promising his fans to do a thing for money and then ghosting and still getting money should at least give a heads up.

Like, how far removed from actual disability systems are the people comparing this to them? The fact that you think this is in any way comparable is bonkers. The bar of "maybe say anything" is so low compared to the one the people you have this weird patronizing view of have to jump they're not even on the same layer of the earth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leal posted:

Its not degrading himself, its being honest to his fans. There is a world of difference between saying "I need monetary aid" and "I will perform labor for monetary incentive". He isn't on disability, he is conning people. Patreon isn't a government institution or a charity, its a store front. It explicitly says he is making silly videos, and if you donate a dollar you get exclusive posts, which his last post was June 2016, and for 5 bucks you get a thank you in his videos. The last video that had credits was back in May. Thats scamming, he is saying he is going to do things for money and isn't doing it. No amount of mental illnesses will change the fact he is scamming, and intentionally not coming out and admitting he retired while continuing to collect money from hopefuls that want him to create content, that is completely dishonest of him to do.

Really, how much more disgraced can the guy be coming out and being honest then he is taking money and not delivering the content people are paying for?
Right, and when I used to follow him on Twitter he was posting stuff almost 24/7, but still barely making videos at all. I assume he's still doing that.

It seems like whatever happened to him burned him out on his work and he just doesn't want to admit it since he likes the attention and of course wants to make his fans happy. But at this point he's producing no content yet still taking people's money.

The last videos I watched of his, and this also includes some of his later reviews, I get the impression that he's forcing himself to do it. It's a pretty major difference to when you look at his stuff from like 2008-2011 where he seems to be having fun as opposed to the more recent ones.

This kind of gig is difficult for producers long-term. You see it with something like AVGN where he clearly had to scale back the old stuff he used to do since he's not that age anymore, which conflicts a bit with what the fans want. He's only done 10 AVGN videos in 2 years now, although that doesn't include his movie. But it used to be like 2-3 videos a month for some time. We also saw it with Nostalgia Critic when Doug wanted to be done with the character but the fans weren't, and didn't get onboard with his new projects. So he ended up going back to it out of necessity.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 5, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think there should be a tangent about Doug Walker next. You know, just to get through all internet critic grievances.

Mars4523 posted:

Lindsay Ellis just released a short but informative video about the concept of Planting and Payoff, using Mad Max: Fury Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLGN7zv-3k&t=619s

Just further shows how this movie is so good.

It's odd how reliably one can expect an internet critic to work in something about how much they hate Zack Snyder.

Also shows how bad tropes and hype culture are for critical analysis. Mad Max: Fury Road, you see, is as close to perfection as human hands can reach. It really tells us how to use a medium to tell a story.

What is the story? Well that's too obvious a question, apparently. But there are details that recur throughout the movie. I tried to find out what else she's said about Fury Road in hopes of clarification, but it seems that it's her only text dealing primarily with Fury Road, so the justification for why Fury Road is a Great Movie is exemplary use of Chekhov's Gun.

Presumably this is because most everyone accepts that Fury Road was the Best Thing Ever, so it's an anti-critical fait accompli.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, and when I used to follow him on Twitter he was posting stuff almost 24/7, but still barely making videos at all. I assume he's still doing that.

I think this grated a bit. Spoony was getting paid to produce videos not to be a comedian and cultural commentator on Twitter.

There is also the problem of using up subjects. Plus there is the problem of other more reliable content producers eating your lunch. There are so many internet reviewers who cover bad films/shows/games that there are much fewer subjects. Even so, there is definitely enough material for 6-10 30-min reviews. Personally, I'll listen to RLM and We Hate Movies do the same bad movie and enjoy both.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Y'know, I was going to post some kind of dig at Doug Walker, but I noticed a video posted by Count Jackula. I don't know if anybody follows him (I don't, but I've seen him shown up frequently on the CA homepage), but I recall a video he posted a little over a year ago. The title took me by surprise, but I didn't watch it, and since I didn't see anyone in the thread say anything about it, I assumed it was supposed to be a satire or something. I watched that video, along with the new video, and, uh...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Y'know, I was going to post some kind of dig at Doug Walker, but I noticed a video posted by Count Jackula. I don't know if anybody follows him (I don't, but I've seen him shown up frequently on the CA homepage), but I recall a video he posted a little over a year ago. The title took me by surprise, but I didn't watch it, and since I didn't see anyone in the thread say anything about it, I assumed it was supposed to be a satire or something. I watched that video, along with the new video, and, uh...

Jackula was also the guy who, a few days after Carrie Fisher died, put out a video of him slobbering about how loving awesome Princess Leia's slave girl outfit was and how it totally wasn't also about an otherwise strong and independent woman being purposefully reduced to an empty sex object by a domineering creepo purely for the purpose of insulting her and everyone who knew her AND was a thing that Carrie Fisher herself routinely spoke out about with regard to just how loving awful it was on a multitude of different levels, because, well, Jack got a boner over it, so people should actually celebrate Slave Leia as an icon of sexual liberation. :barf:

tl;dr: Count Jackula is kind of trash.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

What exactly is so objectionable about the new video? He makes it clear that he isn’t condemning the protests, just the violence, and he makes a clear distinction between the peaceful demonstration that was supposed to be going on and the small number of rioters that ruined it.

He also makes a very good point about free speech: that if you try to limit it, the rules you create may well end up biting you in the rear end when your opponents come to power and use them to silence you. It's far better to counter someone else with your own arguments rather than trying to shut them down.

That said, I’m not sure if Channel Awesome is an appropriate venue for any sort of political rant.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 5, 2017

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I watched one or two of his videos, I think? Didn't really like his shtick.

That said, I didn't really get an oversensitive edgelord vibe from him, so I'm a little surprised.

Bakeneko posted:

He also makes a very good point about free speech: that if you try to limit it, the rules you create may well end up biting you in the rear end when your opponents come to power and use them to silence you. It's far better to counter someone else with your own arguments rather than trying to shut them down.

Milo uses his platform to directly out and attack the vulnerable, so I'm not sure it's a matter of countering an argument, but whatever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

Protesting someone and asking that they not be allowed on your college is not "limiting free speech." Milo is perfectly free to speak in any number of places that will allow him to speak.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Protesting someone and asking that they not be allowed on your college is not "limiting free speech." Milo is perfectly free to speak in any number of places that will allow him to speak.
True, but a small number of people were doing more than just asking, they were using violence to intimidate him into leaving. That's the thing the guy in the video had a problem with. Like I said, he was supporting the peaceful protests.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

True, but a small number of people were doing more than just asking, they were using violence to intimidate him into leaving. That's the thing the guy in the video had a problem with. Like I said, he was supporting the peaceful protests.

You do realize the violent minority wants to be violent? They're not gonna watch a YouTube video and go "Oh my god, we're potentially suppressing the concept of free speech?"

There's literally no point in complaining. Most everyone has a problem with the violence breaking out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The violent minority also weren't apparently students at least according to the school.

They were likely a local anarchist group. I wouldn't be surprised if Milo invited them. He's known for doing that. Guy plays the professional victim all the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Milo was going to Berkeley to publicly out undocumented immigrants and whip up his audience against them, according to university staff (and it's not the first time he's done something like that, either - at a previous talk, he outed a trans student and his goons hounded her off campus). Chasing him off-campus with baseball bats was totally legit.

Going back to Far Cry 3, I always thought 'but Citra betrays the MC' was rather missing the point. It just flips the narrative from 'white saviour gets enlightened by magical natives, becomes their greatest warrior' to 'hapless white boy is lured to his doom by seductive jungle wiles'. Citra and her crew aren't de-exoticised by the twist - their alienness is just subjected to a different moral judgment.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 5, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope Milo can't go literally anywhere without being chased away with baseball bats and fire, like some kinda lovely twink Frankenstein's monster

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'M SO loving HAPPY WE NOW GET TO DISCUSS THE ETHICS OF PROTESTING IN ANOTHER UNRELATED THREAD, gently caress YES, NO ESCAPE BITCHES, NO ESCAPE

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Can we have a derail about the prequels again instead of this?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'M SO loving HAPPY WE NOW GET TO DISCUSS THE ETHICS OF PROTESTING IN ANOTHER UNRELATED THREAD, gently caress YES, NO ESCAPE BITCHES, NO ESCAPE

It's the new Israel v. Palestine.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Well, on a lighter note, Phelous posted a new knockoff cartoon movie review. This time it’s The Secret of Anastasia (spoiler: the secret this time is ghosts).

And if you haven’t been following YourMovieSucks, he recently made a two-part review of Frozen that I would recommend everyone check out. It’s very funny, and probably has the best use of “Let It Go” I’ve ever seen in a Youtube video.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Puppy Time posted:

Let's derail liberal fools failing to recognise the appropriateness of the use of political violence in stopping the rise of a fascist empire, to talk about the star wars prequels

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ROTS worked better for me now that the racist cheeto nazi was elected.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Puppy Time posted:

MiddleOne posted:

It's the new Israel v. Palestine.

Wow. I know the movies were bad, but that's a bit too far.

yes i kno those were two different threads gently caress off it was funny

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Re: Count Jackula

He was picked up during the last talent onboarding thing. He's-- hmm-- third-wave sex-positive feminist satanist who reviews horror movies. The character (with facepaint and everything) is a homage to a cross between a Rob Zombie character and late-night horror hosts-- right down to the accent that inexplicably changes sentence to sentence.

He's got good comedic timing and good insights/opinions during his reviews. I believe he is a trained actor, and that was going to be his profession, but got fed up with the typecasting and uphill battle he was facing b/c of his Chinese heritage. At some point on Twitter, he told the story of the "bullshit" moment that turned him permanently off religion, and was indicative of why he got out of acting. Being the top person for a role, but being told he was the "wrong race"-- and that they feared significant (and possibly violent) backlash if they gave him the role-- of Jesus.

(rough Twitter timeline of that series of posts: https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=from%3Acount_jackula%20since%3A2016-04-24%20until%3A2016-04-25&src=typd)

Anyways, his scripted reviews are pretty good. If I had to pick the top two strongest ones in terms of humor & commentary, I'd say "I Spit On Your Grave (pt 1 & 2)", and Targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQcDLLnKuhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRlbB-jDS5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NG0qL6ieqM

The downside is that his scripted reviews are few and far between, and there's an order-of-magnitude more vlogs, streams and unboxing videos. Not my thing at all, but I guess some people enjoy them. (Personally, the lack of regular scripted review content is the only thing keeping me from hitting up his Patreon. The Patreon launched in the middle of a video dry spell, and almost all new content since has been vlog, stream and unboxing-- but that's a rant for another day).

Also, for some REALLY good comedic timing, check out the crossover of him, Horror Guru and Some Jerk at Disney's The Haunted Mansion.

Part 1 here, you can find the rest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34aq9DgFWo

I don't closely follow rants/unscripted stuff, so I'll take people's word for the content of the Rants mentioned upstream. Also, fair warning, his Twitter is 90% retweets of hardcore goth/satan porn, so very NSFW.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hbomberguy posted:

Let's derail liberal fools failing to recognise the appropriateness of the use of political violence in stopping the rise of a fascist empire, to talk about the star wars prequels

You're one to talk. :britain:

nine-gear crow posted:

Jackula was also the guy who, a few days after Carrie Fisher died, put out a video of him slobbering about how loving awesome Princess Leia's slave girl outfit was and how it totally wasn't also about an otherwise strong and independent woman being purposefully reduced to an empty sex object by a domineering creepo purely for the purpose of insulting her and everyone who knew her AND was a thing that Carrie Fisher herself routinely spoke out about with regard to just how loving awful it was on a multitude of different levels, because, well, Jack got a boner over it, so people should actually celebrate Slave Leia as an icon of sexual liberation. :barf:

tl;dr: Count Jackula is kind of trash.

Do you mean Jabba or Lucas?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah nah, not watching those. The thumbnails alone make me want to pants him and take his lunch money.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

MariusLecter posted:

You're one to talk. :britain:

Methinks you missed his joke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Do you mean Jabba or Lucas?

Yes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is there any horror nerd/reviewer that isn't total poo poo

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Phelous but he's moved away from that in recent years. Brad Jones too sometimes counts?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New Plinketto BOTW.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Did you know that Ishtar took 12 years to control the fate of the Middle East?

Did you also know that these forums are a cage and you can't escape the degeneracy???

Didyoualsoknowgayimmigrantwithablackboyfriendgayimmigrantwithablackboyfriendgayimmigrantwithabalckboyfriendrealracistrealracistrealracistrealracist

Why do I keep seeing spots

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

is there any horror nerd/reviewer that isn't total poo poo

james rolfe does some nice spooky movie reviews

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Tired Moritz posted:

james rolfe does some nice spooky movie reviews

:agreed:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Good, but I had to roll my eyes again at them talking about Rouge one. It's just dumb at this point.

Edit: I think I might need to watch Space Raiders.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 6, 2017

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I hope they never stop talking about Rogue One.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Phelous but he's moved away from that in recent years. Brad Jones too sometimes counts?

TIL that less than a month == years.

http://phelous.com/2017/01/06/phelous/and-the-movies/ice-cream-man/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I feel like this thread has way too many topics that fall under the umbrella of "never mention this even in passing unless you want the discussion to turn completely toxic"

• Locked thread