Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah water injection is pretty cool. water/meth is even cooler if you can only get 91 and have a good system. I did a lot of aquamist kits back in the day. That's the only one I'd trust for meth since you're taking fuel out and adding timing.

I am not super impressed with the AOS options out there. I hear good things about IAG these days but don't really think it would be worth trying to set up a dealer account. The crawford has been a pretty solid option but I just don't like that guy (he does't like me either) and they are expensive. Now crawford is doing some bullshit maf sensor spacer to increase fuel efficiency. http://crawfordperformance.com/collections/eco-block

I should really just start making my own I guess. It doesn't cost 400 loving dollars to put some baffles in a can and stick some hoses on it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME
Anyone else get a warranty extension notice for the VA pitch stop brackets?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I finally relented and spent 155 freakin dollars on the arm rest extension for the 15+ WRX/STI. gently caress Subaru for not making this stock.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Anyone else get a warranty extension notice for the VA pitch stop brackets?

I got one. I have not checked the condition of my pitch stop.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I got one, but not knowing what a pitch stop is and having no explanation in the letter was a bit confusing for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Went into the dealer to check on part status. I happened to be in the area, no biggie.

But when I got back outside after talking with the service guy, I had not one, but TWO salesmen circling my 2013 Impreza Limited hatch, and they immediately tried to get in on getting me to sell them my car and maybe trade up to a 2017 model.

Stated reason: The 2017 platform refresh means there are no discounts are to be had on current model-year Imprezas, so people are going for the slightly used ones instead. Does that pan out, or were they blowing smoke?

I mean, I wouldn't turn down a cheap upgrade to something with adaptive cruise and a backup camera. I'm just still feeling out how trustworthy this dealer is.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

Geology posted:

I got one. I have not checked the condition of my pitch stop.

I got the letter the day before my alignment appointment, so I was able to have them check already. Mine looks fine, but since it's an issue with the welds and I live in PA, I'm going to make sure they look at it every year.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I got one, but not knowing what a pitch stop is and having no explanation in the letter was a bit confusing for me.

It's like a tether for the engine, keeps it from literally jumping forward. There's some detail on Perrin's product page for their aftermarket one.

There's also a massive NASIOC thread on it if you're into that kind of thing.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does that pan out, or were they blowing smoke?

I say large amounts of smoke.

If someone walks away from a new Impreza over $1500 in incentives, they're probably going to cross shop other brands. Most people that committed to owning an Impreza wouldn't go from new to non-CPO'ed used over such a small amount of money. Some may, but not enough to create a localized gold rush on '13s.

Even if they give you a good deal on the trade-in, there's no discounting on the '17s, so it's a wash (at best) compared to just waiting 5 months until the '18s come out and getting PMO incentives.

CrzyDTpBoy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 4, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's strange to me that that is happening, but subaru i guess likes to make flimsy rear end firewalls. The transmission and trans mount also do some work to prevent pitch. With stiffer mounts for the rest of the drivetrain, i would expect it to maybe be less of a problem at least. Just a stiffer pitch stop would make it worse. I got a practically free solid pitch stop awhile ago and ended up taking it off because it made a lot of noise and all the other mounts were stock.

If anyone wants some of those Perrin braces though let me know.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I got that notice this week too and decided to have the dealer check it and do the ecu recall finally today. Got to drive a 17 Impreza to work and liked the updated interior especially the wheel. I was happy to have the boost back though and my butt dyno tells me the ecu flash seems like a smoother power band.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

daslog posted:

Photos from a 2016 WRX with the FA engine that my son got today. Apparantly this is due to the design of the the PCV and how it works with direct injection.

Jamal, maybe you can sell some Air/Oil Seperators.

It also is the first 2016 WRX with a spun bearing he has worked on. (#4 piston)

What in the purple gently caress? I thought the FA20 DIT had port injectors for exactly this reason (pictured in orange)

I suspect fuckery.

E: I thought toyota figured this out ages ago after the 2.5 V6 in the IS250 would chew through pistons where the 3.5L didn't on account of it having port as well as direct injection.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 4, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

daslog posted:

Photos from a 2016 WRX with the FA engine that my son got today. Apparantly this is due to the design of the the PCV and how it works with direct injection.

Is this a stock motor? If so, fuuuuuuck. Was thinking about the WRX after the MY18 refresh but uhhhhh.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

BloodBag posted:

What in the purple gently caress? I thought the FA20 DIT had port injectors for exactly this reason (pictured in orange)

I suspect fuckery.

E: I thought toyota figured this out ages ago after the 2.5 V6 in the IS250 would chew through pistons where the 3.5L didn't on account of it having port as well as direct injection.

Only BRZ got direct and port injection. WRX is straight DIT

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

There's also a massive NASIOC thread on it if you're into that kind of thing.

Someone is trying to argue with me that NASIOC isnt a hellhole of complete poo poo and stupidity. There's a perfect example of how loving useless that community actually is. Which is a pity as this is an interesting problem.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ChunksNensja posted:

Only BRZ got direct and port injection. WRX is straight DIT

Once again, Subaru snatches defeat from the jaws of victory :downsbravo:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Can someone translate this problem for a layperson? How bad of a thing is the black stuff on the metal there?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BloodBag posted:

Once again, Subaru snatches defeat from the jaws of victory :downsbravo:

And the WRX has worse flowing heads too, from what I can tell. Though from looking at that cutaway I guess even the BRZ uses loving dump ports instead of tumble so GG OEM fuckers, you had a chance to do things right but noooooo...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

New Outback has received the highest approval

ninja edit: this thing is insanely clean. Always buy cars owned by an old guy if you gotta buy used.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Yeah I just got this today and was confused as hell. I had to google it. Still have no idea if I'm affected. If it didn't take 3 hours just to verify I needed the turbo intake recall done (not actually do it, just check it), I'd just bring it in.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
By comparison: 2017 Outback? HOT GARBAGE. I mean, I didn't think it was humanly possible to actually *hate* a Subaru, but here we are.

The dealer didn't have the tool required to swap out my seat heater wiring. But one of the techs has it at home, so.... loaner!

I have never seen an entertainment system so utterly worthless. Why on god's green earth would I possible need to have SOCIAL MEDIA APPS IN MY DASHBOARD. OR SPORTS. OR STOCKS. OR AN INSURANCE COMPANY'S DRIVING APP.

I'm glad I remembered to grab my own charger from my car before taking off, because holy poo poo, plugging my phone into the provided USB ports turns on something called "MirrorLink" and completely takes control of my phone? And the "Subaru Starlink" thing is just hot garbage. Both of them completely disable the ability to use navigation on the phone.

And the latency between stuff playing on my phone and coming out of the speakers, god, it has to be at least a second or more.

The instrument cluster is a clusterfuck of clutter. I have to stare at the drat thing to look for the information I need. The enviro controls are incomprehensible and I can't tell if I've turned the AC off or if I'm just driving around with it all the time, and the clock is placed low, such that it's such that if I have my right fist at 9 and 3, it hides it from my line of sight.

It accelerates like a whale, turns like a whale, stops like a whale, parks like a whale, and I can't even.

I don't know, maybe this experience has colored how I see this dealer. I think they're earnest, but they're just sloppy. Last time I dropped off my car for 30K, they said they'd do all that and give it a wash. Said wash never happened, as evidenced by the GIGANTIC BIRD TURD JUST ABOVE THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR.

And this loaner car... is utterly killing me. Previous person who drove it had a dog in it, leaving little white hairs all over the backseat which have been driving my allergies nucking futs all day. Vacuuming hasn't helped in the least.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 5, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

By comparison: 2017 Outback? HOT GARBAGE. I mean, I didn't think it was humanly possible to actually *hate* a Subaru, but here we are.

The dealer didn't have the tool required to swap out my seat heater wiring. But one of the techs has it at home, so.... loaner!

I have never seen an entertainment system so utterly worthless. Why on god's green earth would I possible need to have SOCIAL MEDIA APPS IN MY DASHBOARD. OR SPORTS. OR STOCKS. OR AN INSURANCE COMPANY'S DRIVING APP.

I'm glad I remembered to grab my own charger from my car before taking off, because holy poo poo, plugging my phone into the provided USB ports turns on something called "MirrorLink" and completely takes control of my phone? And the "Subaru Starlink" thing is just hot garbage. Both of them completely disable the ability to use navigation on the phone.

And the latency between stuff playing on my phone and coming out of the speakers, god, it has to be at least a second or more.

The instrument cluster is a clusterfuck of clutter. I have to stare at the drat thing to look for the information I need. The enviro controls are incomprehensible and I can't tell if I've turned the AC off or if I'm just driving around with it all the time, and the clock is placed low, such that it's such that if I have my right fist at 9 and 3, it hides it from my line of sight.

They still haven't fixed the loving lovely trunk light, it accelerates like a whale, turns like a whale, stops like a whale, parks like a whale, and I can't even.

That's kind of how I felt about the Legacy I got the three month test drive while Subaru struggled to find differential gears. I didn't even try to connect a phone to their system, but I add that the Eyesight works well except for beeping at me twenty times a minute.

Lane marker disappears due to construction or fading? BEEP
Car changes lanes to be in front of you? BEEEEP
You change lanes so there's no longer a car in front of you? BEEEEEEP
Get too close to the lane marker because they shift due to construction? BEEEEEEEEEEEEP
Approaching car stopped at stoplight? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
Car at stoplight moves? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP MOTHERFUCKER

I sort of felt like TV intensive care nurse or something anytime I drove, and since I'm in an urban area with nonstop heavy construction I encountered all those scenarios all the time. Besides the incessant beeping, I though the system performed adequately, but I can't recommend anyone who lives in anything more built up than a small town or rural environment get it unless they're severely hearing impaired.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They say they have a new verison of Eyesight in the 2017 Impreza, but ugh. I'm not sure I want to give it a try. My car is five years old now, maybe I'll see what's what in another five because holy poo poo I should have just taken my car and brought it back on Monday.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The more I look at new Subarus, the more I'm convinced Subaru peaked in 2007. None of this festering poo poo but a lot of very good engineering and genuinely good cars

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Most auto manufacturers do ascribe to the KISS philosophy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The more I look at new Subarus, the more I'm convinced Subaru peaked in 2007. None of this festering poo poo but a lot of very good engineering and genuinely good cars

Aesthetically its been downhill since 99.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

Aesthetically its been downhill since 99.

Gen 4 Liberty

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

They're ok, but no GC8

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

They're ok, but no GC8

Oh good lord no. The Gen 4 is hands down the best styled car esp in wagon form.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Open the glovebox and RTFM and most of these gripes go away, fella. Maybe my CS degree helps with this poo poo, but I've found that starlink stuff really intuitive. Try early iDrive or the strange, pared down version they stick in mini coopers if you want genuine hatred. Early sync is also acceptable.

I do agree that the outback is really a ponderous vehicle to drive. My Dad's 15 3.6R feels like a boat compared to my GH.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
The points I will give the 17 forester are for road trip tasks. Decent highway mileage, and comfy at speed for long periods. But for anything remotely spirited? Nope. Though I will admit I'm a complete sucker for the brushed aluminum and black premium wheels or whatever it had.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They are ok but a bit too adult and I'm young. The 90s WRX with the old wrb that had a bit of purple in it is beautiful.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Eyesight in my Forester caused an unexpected hard brake once. Otherwise it hasn't been a problem. Likewise, very few issues with the infotainment setup.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BloodBag posted:

Open the glovebox and RTFM and most of these gripes go away, fella. Maybe my CS degree helps with this poo poo, but I've found that starlink stuff really intuitive. Try early iDrive or the strange, pared down version they stick in mini coopers if you want genuine hatred. Early sync is also acceptable.

I do agree that the outback is really a ponderous vehicle to drive. My Dad's 15 3.6R feels like a boat compared to my GH.

:effort: for a loaner. :rolleyes:

3.6R Forester, not Leggy, right? That said, if Subaru ever brought Leggy wagons back or the Levorg or whatever the hell they have that's 6-cylinder and not an SUV, I might get THAT.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
There is no 3.6R Forester. 2.5 NA or 2.0 with twin-scroll turbocharger.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I meant ForesterOUTBACK. My mind's image was an Outback, but I typed Forester. >.<;

edit: Jesus, see? I just did it AGAIN.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hells yes.

Gen 5 was so ugly that it was no wonder they killed the LGT after two years...of course nobody interested in a sport sedan bought them. Gen 4 is just the epitome of mid 2000's styling. Restrained, big windows, low belt line. They'll never be able to make cars that look like that again.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

daslog posted:

Assuming the previous owner didn't do stupid stuff (which is a huge assumption with a WRX) what would be a cause for that kind of buildup? Bad fuel or just general Subaru engine bad design?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The PCV system pulls slight vacuum on the crankcase and recirculates gasses (a mixture of air, oil, water, fuel, combustion products) into the intake to be burned. Without a fuel injector spraying the ports and intake valves, that gunk will eventually build up. It happens to like every DI engine, I've seen some low mileage BMWs that were especially bad.

An air/oil separator or catch can will prevent some or all of that from getting back into the intake depending on the setup. It is good to have vacuum on the crankcase because it reduces windage losses and improves ring seal, but it is bad to be burning oil because that reduces the knock resistance of the air/fuel mixture. So for max power, you would want to collect all that junk from the pcv into a can while still maintaining crankcase vacuum. That is how most AOS systems will do it- a baffled can sits between all the block fittings and the intake system. Then they can either be drained manually or have a line that flows back into the pan/block.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 6, 2017

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

jamal posted:

The PCV system pulls slight vacuum on the crankcase and recirculates gasses (a mixture of air, oil, water, fuel, combustion products) into the intake to be burned. Without a fuel injector spraying the ports and intake valves, that gunk will eventually build up. It happens to like every DI engine, I've seen some low mileage BMWs that were especially bad.

An air/oil separator or catch can will prevent some or all of that from getting back into the intake depending on the setup. It is good to have vacuum on the crankcase because it reduces windage losses and improves ring seal, but it is bad to be burning oil because that reduces the knock resistance of the air/fuel mixture. So for max power, you would want to collect all that junk from the pcv into a can while still maintaining crankcase vacuum. That is how most AOS systems will do it- a baffled can sits between all the block fittings and the intake system. Then they can either be drained manually or have a line that flows back into the pan/block.

Ultimately for long term life of the engine I'm looking at either pulling the engine apart to clean it after a while or getting an air/oil separator?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

On BMWs they pull the intake manifold and use walnut shell blasting to clean them. I'm guessing subaru will come out with a similar procedure at some point.

But yeah I think a good AOS is worthwhile on turbo Subarus. The new FA series pistons seem to be a litle more durable, but on the EJ25s I think it burning oil through the pcv played a part in some of the blown up pistons, especially with 91 octane.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Like really recommend? I was gunna get one ages ago and I dint because the engine bay is already packed and I didnt see a convinient location