Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

"Love her or loathe her, you just can't ignore her... BECAUSE WE'RE GOING TO GIVE HER WALL-TO-WALL COVERAGE AT LEAST UNTIL THE NEXT ELECTION!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
LOL, how to trigger 101. So much salt in the comments.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why the hell is 7 so Pauline obsessed?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/828367626220904448

Hilarious!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If Cory splits won't the libs lose the slim majority they had?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I never thought Cory had the balls. Well played Mr Bernadi.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Synthbuttrange posted:

She clearly has mates on Sunrise

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

She clearly has mates on Sunrise

Look forward to them reporting her 30% result on this very positively.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

bowmore posted:

If Cory splits won't the libs lose the slim majority they had?

Cory Bernadi is a Senator

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's if George splits then they have problems.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Amoeba102 posted:

He's def put himself forward as part of that culture and seems enough of a smug wanker to enjoy lording up a balance of power.

He might prefer to stay safe in the party while undermining it though.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Like I swear someone on sunrise loves the gently caress outta Pauline and keeps kicking off people to ut her on again and again

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

starkebn posted:

Cory Bernadi is a Senator

Harder *again* to push stuff through the senate, if Cory is acrimonious about things.

Amoeba102 posted:

We can only hope. I wonder what outragous calls he's asking for to stay? Cabinent position?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

blindidiotgod posted:

Harder *again* to push stuff through the senate, if Cory is acrimonious about things.

We can only hope. I wonder what outragous calls he's asking for to stay? Cabinent position?

Since Hockey left, there's a vacancy for Minister for Pies.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*Checks facebook comments *

"Finally, now nothing is stopping the liberal party from going back to the centre where they were under Howard! "

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

*Checks facebook comments *

"Finally, now nothing is stopping the liberal party from going back to the centre where they were under Howard! "

Uh...hm...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

blindidiotgod posted:

Think of the terrible bedfellows he can make on votes :getin:

Cory being Cory, he'll play the new BA Santamaria and wedge Libs vs PHON.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
This (in the fevered imagination of the arsehole posting it) refers to a shift from the outrageously leftist position currently being maintained by Malformed Turmdball.

Ray Hadley was expressing a similar position this morning. I like how he is also sick as a dog of the 'hand picked leftist labour' people on Q&A but when told by a caller that he is relentlessly right wing that she should just turn the radio off. Oh Ray you so hosed up.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anidav posted:

Like I swear someone on sunrise loves the gently caress outta Pauline and keeps kicking off people to ut her on again and again

Surely not, not on the channel that brought us Border Security: Australia's Front Line

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Khagan posted:

Have ISPs begun logging our search history because of :filez: yet? Asking for a friend.
Sort of.
If you're using Google, then your searches will be transmitted via HTTPS, so ISP data retention should only be logging DNS and IP address data (ie your browser went to a Google address, but what you searched for is encrypted). I can't recall if ISPs are being forced to intercept all DNS traffic, or just keep their own DNS server logs

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 6, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Here’s How Two Spin Doctors Let Slip About Bernardi’s Trump-Style Party

The bizarre story of Cory Bernardi’s imminent split from the Liberal party was quite literally delivered to our door last week.

On Wednesday, a senior BuzzFeed employee went to lunch and during a stroll outside bumped into the heads of a new recruitment agency for political spin doctors that shares a building with BuzzFeed Australia in Sydney.

During an offhand chat, Peter McConnell and Luke Achterstraat from Commtract, both former Liberal staffers, said that Bernardi was ready to make an announcement in the coming days that he’d split from the Liberals and form his own conservative populist political party inspired by Donald Trump.

McConnell and Achterstraat said their recruitment firm was hiring a communications professional for Bernardi, who was planning his long-awaited party split in the first week of the parliamentary year. Parliament resumes tomorrow.

McConnell is a former chief of staff to NSW Liberal premier Barry O’Farrell and corporate affairs manager at supermarket giant Woolworths, while Achterstraat has worked for both former federal tourism minister Richard Colbeck and former federal trade minister Andrew Robb.

When I confronted McConnell and Achterstraat about the news last week, both men repeatedly told me that they were joking with the BuzzFeed employee and strenuously denied they were working with Bernardi.

But that changed on Monday.

This morning the ABC’s political editor Chris Uhlmann and Herald Sun columnist Andrew Bolt both reported that the conservative’s announcement about a split from the party was imminent.

So I followed up with Commtract. This time, there was no mention of jokes.

McConnell sent me a statement saying the firm would not comment “on our individual clients”.

“We are an apolitical organisation that supports hundreds of talented professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds. We work for organisations right across the political spectrum. We do not provide comment on our individual clients.”

Bernardi’s future in the Liberal party has been under a cloud since last year. The South Australian conservative, who currently occupies the privileged number one position on the Liberal party’s state Senate ticket, has long been considering setting up a breakaway party, inspired by the election of US president Donald Trump.

Last year, Bernardi did a stint at the United Nations in New York, and posted pictures of himself partying with US President Donald Trump’s team, including campaign manager Kellyanne Conway.

In December, Bernardi set up a website for an organisation called “Australian Majority”, using the popular political campaigning tool NationBuilder. The logo appears to be inspired by those of US presidential candidate Ted Cruz and French populist leader Marine Le Pen.

Bernardi has not spoken publicly in recent weeks and did not return BuzzFeed News’ multiple requests for comment.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/a-cory-story?utm_term=.yeYX4X02m#.liv4M4aPY

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Child sex abuse royal commission: Catholic Church at centre of damning report

More than :siren: 20 per cent :siren: of the members of some Catholic religious orders — including Marist Brothers and Christian Brothers — were allegedly involved in child sexual abuse, a royal commission hearing in Sydney has been told.

The hearing, part of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, is examining the current policies and procedures of the Catholic Church's authorities in Australia relating to child protection and child safety standards, as well as their response to allegations of abuse.

In her opening address, Gail Furness SC said a survey revealed 4,444 alleged incidents of abuse between January 1980 and February 2015.

Ms Furness said 60 per cent of survivors attending private royal commission sessions reported sexual abuse at faith-based institutions.
A sign that says: Suffer the little children and suffer we did in your orphanages and childrens homes
Photo: A protester's sign outside the royal commission in Sydney. (ABC News: Philippa McDonald)

Of those, almost two-thirds reported abuse in Catholic institutions.

Ms Furness described the victims' accounts as "depressingly similar".

"Children were ignored or worse, punished," she said.

"Allegations were not investigated. Priests and religious [figures] were moved. The parishes or communities to which they were moved knew nothing of their past.

"Documents were not kept, or they were destroyed. Secrecy prevailed as did cover-ups."

The average age of the victims at the time they were allegedly abused was 10 for girls and 11 for boys.

Religious orders were in the firing line with the data suggesting that between 1950 and 2010, more than 20 per cent of Marist Brothers, Salesians of the Don Bosco and Christian Brothers had allegations of child sexual abuse against them.

For the St John of God Brothers, that number was 40.4 per cent.

It is the first time the data has been released.
Archbishops to be grilled in Sydney

The Archbishops of Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne and Canberra-Goulburn have congregated in Sydney to give evidence as part of the three-week public hearing.

Questions are expected to focus on the extent of child abuse over almost seven decades and what church leaders are doing to protect children.

This is the 50th public hearing of the four-year-long royal commission and it is the 16th dealing with abuse in the Catholic Church.

The royal commission has investigated how institutions across the country, including schools, churches, sports clubs and government organisations, have responded to allegations and instances of abuse.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-06/royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-begins-in-sydney/8242600

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is it fair to call someone with opinions as unpopular as Bernardi's a populist?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Cory's jumping ship will definitely hasten Malcolm demise.
Thing is though I got no idea how he thinks he can go up against NXT in SA.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If Bernardi leaves the Libs do they get to replace him in the Senate?

Nope, his seat is his.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Cirofren posted:

Look forward to them reporting her 30% result on this very positively.

3.75 times the popularity of her party!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
this is a slight divergent thing from NARDZchat but I notice that Channel 7 went full PHON mouthpiece last night.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Ora Tzo posted:

Cory's jumping ship will definitely hasten Malcolm demise.
Thing is though I got no idea how he thinks he can go up against NXT in SA.

Cory believes there's a worldwide surge to the far-right off the back of Trump and Britex.

Pretty sure there was a story not long ago about Gina being ready to throw boatloads of cash at his new party too.

I didn't think he'd do it though, figured he was too attached to the safety blanket of safe seats.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nibbles! posted:

Cory believes there's a worldwide surge to the far-right off the back of Trump and Britex.

Pretty sure there was a story not long ago about Gina being ready to throw boatloads of cash at his new party too.

I didn't think he'd do it though, figured he was too attached to the safety blanket of safe seats.

He spent Christmas in her Suite on a cruise ship.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...205-gu62o9.html

It would be amusing if the Libs as a party collapses under the weight of their own corruption.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...206-gu69fw.html

Christensen not throwing his hat in with Bernadi.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-05/one-nation-scraps-demand-for-wa-candidates-to-pay-250k-surety/8242572

In other news, One Nation attempts to implement measures to prevent future defections.

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 6, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Can the Fed LNP blame Labor for the conservative idiots splitting the party? I'd be interested to see how the LNP spin this

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.corybernardi.com/podcast

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

Recoome posted:

Can the Fed LNP blame Labor for the conservative idiots splitting the party? I'd be interested to see how the LNP spin this

"Labah chaos is infectious, you see. It is critical that we eliminate Patient Zero as soon as possible."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Bernardi is an awful piece of poo poo and him leaving the libs will help them rather than harm them.

In terms of sabotaging the libs he was much better off making them look like the regressive arseholes they are than being on his own and getting electorally ruined.

EDIT: The groundswell he's talking about isn't conservative it's protectionist and there's a big difference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Short of another DD (and I can't see anyone choosing to go down that road again soon) Bernardi's going to be around for at least another 5 years, so there's plenty of time for him to get into awkward cross-bench negotiations with his former colleges.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Channel 7 ran the anti Safe Schools story on their 60 minutes knock off.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Channel 7 trying to capture the racist/bigoted idiot demographic, I see

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Bernardi is an awful piece of poo poo and him leaving the libs will help them rather than harm them.

In terms of sabotaging the libs he was much better off making them look like the regressive arseholes they are than being on his own and getting electorally ruined.

EDIT: The groundswell he's talking about isn't conservative it's protectionist and there's a big difference.

I think it's too early to tell, it greatly depends on who he gets to come with him. I was looking at the SA Libs page and there's 4 in the HR and 4 in the Senate and perhaps there's a couple from WA. I would be most interested in any Nats jumping ship, but George is much more likely to join One Nation than Bernardism.

How will it play out? Well nobody expected the ALP to split the way it did in the 50's. And never forget that the Liberals are really a hodgepodge of conservative traditions stuck together to beat the ALP. Regular flaking off as purity is demanded over pragmatism should be expected.

But you're right, it's radical protectionist xenophobia, not a "return to values".

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ewe2 posted:

But you're right, it's radical protectionist xenophobia, not a "return to values".
radical protectionist xenophobia is a core Australian value and integral part of the federation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

I think it's too early to tell, it greatly depends on who he gets to come with him. I was looking at the SA Libs page and there's 4 in the HR and 4 in the Senate and perhaps there's a couple from WA. I would be most interested in any Nats jumping ship, but George is much more likely to join One Nation than Bernardism.

How will it play out? Well nobody expected the ALP to split the way it did in the 50's. And never forget that the Liberals are really a hodgepodge of conservative traditions stuck together to beat the ALP. Regular flaking off as purity is demanded over pragmatism should be expected.

My view is that very few people really wants to smash the gays and women into the dirt, we like those people, we just don't like all our jobs vanishing and getting ripped off constantly by "free trade deals" that make everyone locally lose their jobs in order for big companies to make fatter profits and pay workers less.

I met a few dyed in the wool trump supporters through work and that was all they were talking about, jobs and corporations. Not women and gays and abortions.

• Locked thread